Wheel of Time (Amazon Prime series)

Discuss liberty related books, videos, audio, as well as downloadable resources.
Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Wheel of Time (Amazon Prime series)

Post by Niemand »

JohnnyL wrote: February 17th, 2022, 10:32 am
Niemand wrote: February 17th, 2022, 2:28 am The fashion on TV (and film) just now is to have the actors mumbling, and the screen incredibly dark all the time. (So you can take advantage of your HDTV - a bit like sixties shows were colourful to show off colour TVs.)
BUT... the music must be deafening, because "it's all in the music". Makes it hard to set the volume at a balanced level, which means lots of old people just watch old things.

I had no idea what colors the Star Trek people wore--we watched it in black and white.
Modern film and TV music barely qualifies as such. I actually know (or knew) someone who works on Hollywood film scores. I haven't seen him in nearly thirty years, but we knew each other as kids. A lot of his stuff sounds a bit like this unfortunately. Lots of booming sounds and electronica. I miss the 80s when you still got orchestras doing the music for a lot of TV shows.

Most people didn't have colour when Star Trek was first syndicated over here.

A lot of the sixties series look very bright nowadays, which I actually quite like sometimes. Everything is so dark these days. Wes Anderson is one of the few modern directors whose films don't look like that.

(apologies for big pictures)

Compare that with this...

mike_rumble
captain of 100

Post by mike_rumble »

Original_Intent wrote: February 16th, 2022, 8:26 am This is disappointing. I also have read a bit about the upcoming "Rings of Power" - the Second Age of Middle Earth - that leads me to believe that it is another "get woke, go broke" project. We'll see.
I watched the trailer for "Rings of Power" and then posted my comments on another forum. Right away I was called out as being a racist.My crime? I pointed out that there was, in the trailer, an African-American character with pointy ears, who I assumed was one of the Elves. I further went on to mentioned that Tolkien would never have had a black Elf since his entire mythology was based on Norther Europe and that the only blacks in LOTR were those in the far south. Some folks said that anyone can play an Elf no matter the skin color. While I don't have a problem bringing in a black character from one of the southern tribes and making him part of the story, I do have a problem altering the physical characteristics of a Eleven race to make the story more palatable to modern tastes. I suspect we are going to see quite a few changes to "update" Tolkien's work. We'll probably get a disclaimer at the beginning of each episode too.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Original_Intent wrote: February 16th, 2022, 8:26 am This is disappointing. I also have read a bit about the upcoming "Rings of Power" - the Second Age of Middle Earth - that leads me to believe that it is another "get woke, go broke" project. We'll see.
I at least got through two episodes, I think.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

oneClimbs wrote: February 16th, 2022, 11:53 am I made it into 15 minutes of episode one. I REALLY tried to give it a chance, I know that sometimes it can take a bit for a story to catch its stride. But I just couldn't do it, it felt like I was watching one of those old Zena or Conan shows from the 90s and at least those may have been more compelling.

It feels geared to a much younger audience that doesn't care about acting, plot, character development, etc. I'm not familiar with the books so maybe I'm missing something. This is coming from a guy who forced his way through BOTH seasons of Wayward Pines. I just couldn't endure this series, maybe someone else can tell me that it gets better later on, but I haven't heard this yet.
I would watch 10 episodes of Xena to get out of one episode of TWoT. :lol:

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Niemand wrote: February 17th, 2022, 10:37 am
Niemand wrote: February 17th, 2022, 2:28 am The fashion on TV (and film) just now is to have the actors mumbling, and the screen incredibly dark all the time. (So you can take advantage of your HDTV - a bit like sixties shows were colourful to show off colour TVs.)
BUT... the music must be deafening, because "it's all in the music". Makes it hard to set the volume at a balanced level, which means lots of old people just watch old things.

I had no idea what colors the Star Trek people wore--we watched it in black and white.
Modern film and TV music barely qualifies as such. I actually know (or knew) someone who works on Hollywood film scores. I haven't seen him in nearly thirty years, but we knew each other as kids. A lot of his stuff sounds a bit like this unfortunately. Lots of booming sounds and electronica. I miss the 80s when you still got orchestras doing the music for a lot of TV shows.

A lot of the sixties series look very bright nowadays, which I actually quite like sometimes. Everything is so dark these days. Wes Anderson is one of the few modern directors whose films don't look like that.

Ha, I watched all those in black and white, don't think I've seen them in color.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

JohnnyL wrote: January 14th, 2024, 10:38 pm

Ha, I watched all those in black and white, don't think I've seen them in color.
Don't know about Batman, but certainly both Lost in Space and the Avengers were series that started in black and white and ended in colour. All three of them are repeated regularly on TV here (minus the black and white episodes)

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Niemand wrote: January 15th, 2024, 4:36 am
JohnnyL wrote: January 14th, 2024, 10:38 pm

Don't know about Batman, but certainly both Lost in Space and the Avengers were series that started in black and white and ended in colour. All three of them are repeated regularly on TV here (minus the black and white episodes)
Yeah, but when you only have a black and white TV... every show is black and white :lol: I didn't know that the Star Trek uniforms were colored, either.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

JohnnyL wrote: January 15th, 2024, 8:52 am Yeah, but when you only have a black and white TV... every show is black and white :lol: I didn't know that the Star Trek uniforms were colored, either.
Probably the same here. A lot of parts of this country weren't broadcasting colour back then. That arrived in the seventies for many people.

Even during the seventies and eighties we couldn't get any signal in a couple of places we lived in, so I didn't have TV at all for some of my childhood.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

JohnnyL wrote: January 15th, 2024, 8:52 am Yeah, but when you only have a black and white TV... every show is black and white :lol: I didn't know that the Star Trek uniforms were colored, either.
What I find interesting is that I remembered the shows (any series or movie I watched on tv) in color that I only saw on a black and white television. The only exception is the Twilight Zone. That I always remember in black and white.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Silver Pie wrote: January 15th, 2024, 4:26 pm
What I find interesting is that I remembered the shows (any series or movie I watched on tv) in color that I only saw on a black and white television. The only exception is the Twilight Zone. That I always remember in black and white.
And it's still in black and white; I don't know if they ever even "upgraded" it to color.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

JohnnyL wrote: January 16th, 2024, 7:56 am And it's still in black and white; I don't know if they ever even "upgraded" it to color.
True. I've never seen it in color. It hasn't even been colorized later like some movies have been.

ransomme
captain of 1,000

Post by ransomme »

Niemand wrote: February 16th, 2022, 8:23 am
JohnnyL wrote: February 16th, 2022, 8:17 am This has got to be one of the worst adaptations/ most use of artistic license I have ever seen.

The script, the casting, the acting, the timing, the overall feeling--horrible! I had a hard time watching 10 minutes. A few weeks later, I managed another 10, with fast forwarding.
This was on my watchlist. No more I suspect.

I only managed about twenty minutes of Vikings. The Man in the High Castle was uneven and the fourth series was not great, but it had its moments before then.
They murdered the soul of most the charters.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

ransomme wrote: January 21st, 2024, 1:57 pm
JohnnyL wrote: February 16th, 2022, 8:17 am This has got to be one of the worst adaptations/ most use of artistic license I have ever seen.

The script, the casting, the acting, the timing, the overall feeling--horrible! I had a hard time watching 10 minutes. A few weeks later, I managed another 10, with fast forwarding.

I only managed about twenty minutes of Vikings. The Man in the High Castle was uneven and the fourth series was not great, but it had its moments before then.
Which one? Wheel of Time or Man in the High Castle? Or Vikings?

Man in the High Castle went all BLM in the fourth series. Years before BLM got its moment in the spotlight. I did like the portrayal of Robert Childan though, the weeabo antiques dealer... that was well cast and did capture some of the essence of the original character. The TV version was mostly about the German controlled zones, whereas I always felt the book was stronger when talking about Japanese California. (I don't remember the book featuring a huge amount about the neutral zone either, but it has been a few years, so...)

ransomme
captain of 1,000

Post by ransomme »

Niemand wrote: January 22nd, 2024, 4:17 am
ransomme wrote: January 21st, 2024, 1:57 pm

Which one? Wheel of Time or Man in the High Castle? Or Vikings?

Man in the High Castle went all BLM in the fourth series. Years before BLM got its moment in the spotlight. I did like the portrayal of Robert Childan though, the weeabo antiques dealer... that was well cast and did capture some of the essence of the original character. The TV version was mostly about the German controlled zones, whereas I always felt the book was stronger when talking about Japanese California. (I don't remember the book featuring a huge amount about the neutral zone either, but it has been a few years, so...)
I found Vikings interesting back when it started, but I only saw a couple of seasons.

The Wheel of Time series I have read 3 times. They slaughtered the heart and soul of the story and characters. They destroyed innocence, turned good people into total edgy aholes and so on. The writers understood nothing about the story. One of the worst adaptations ever.

Never read the source material for Man in the High Castle. I thought the premise was interesting, and the show was fair enough, but again I don't know the source material.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

ransomme wrote: January 22nd, 2024, 7:18 am I found Vikings interesting back when it started, but I only saw a couple of seasons.

The Wheel of Time series I have read 3 times. They slaughtered the heart and soul of the story and characters. They destroyed innocence, turned good people into total edgy aholes and so on. The writers understood nothing about the story. One of the worst adaptations ever.

Never read the source material for Man in the High Castle. I thought the premise was interesting, and the show was fair enough, but again I don't know the source material.
I haven't read Wheel of Time. I heard it diverges a lot from the source material by ?Robert Jordan.

Philip K. Dick was a flawed individual but a perceptive one, and works that seemed weird and trippy fifty years ago now seem all too relevant. One of his recurring themes, and this turns up in the Man in the High Castle is the nature of reality. The characters in the book all think theirs is the only world, but footage turns up in which Germany and Japan lost the war. (Italy doesn't feature much in the narrative). It's kind of what sets it apart from other alternative histories of the time. We're entering that zone right now where faked footage and audio will probably become as important as the real thing. We also have questions about our existence and its presentation (the Matrix addressed some of these).