Dennis Prager: Religious Leaders Too Scared Too Obedient

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
GüdFüdDude
captain of 100

Dennis Prager: Religious Leaders Too Scared Too Obedient

Post by GüdFüdDude »

https://townhall.com/columnists/dennisp ... s-n2603293

"The tragedy of American religious life is that religious people who lack courage are concentrated in leadership positions."

"Given the sheeplike behavior of so many of America's religious leaders and institutions, the question is: Why?

There are both similar and different answers for each religion. The similar reasons are that most religious institutions and leaders have become largely indistinguishable from their secular counterparts. With the exception of attending church or synagogue, most Christians and Jews think and act like most secular Americans."

"In September 2021, for the 15th consecutive year (except for 2020), I led Jewish High Holiday Services for about 400 people -- no masks required, and no vaccination necessary. Other synagogues could have done the same thing -- but nearly all rabbis and synagogue boards were too scared and too obedient to do so. And of course, the same holds true for most churches, whether Catholic, Protestant or Mormon. Too scared. And too obedient to irrational dictates.

They will pay a price as people will gradually come to understand how weak their religious leaders were. And they will pay another price: by keeping their churches and synagogues closed for so long (for no good reason), many of their congregants may just not return. If my clergy didn't think it was important that I attend for nearly two years, maybe it just isn't that important...."

"Mormons have an additional issue. They are not only expected to obey the Bible, but LDS leaders as well. The head of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the First Presidency, which consists of three men who are regarded as prophets -- God speaks through them. Faithful Mormons therefore regard some First Presidency pronouncements as the word of God.

On Aug. 12, 2021, the First Presidency (whose President is, not surprisingly, a physician) released a statement saying, "we urge individuals to be vaccinated," and "we can win this war if everyone will follow the wise and thoughtful recommendations of medical experts and government leaders."

As Mormons are generally the most socially and politically conservative of America's religious groups, many of them have not regarded the "recommendations of medical experts and government leaders" as "wise and thoughtful." Just as most non-Mormon conservatives do, most Mormon conservatives regard most of our medical experts and government leaders as non-thoughtful, non-wise and too often corrupt."

Chip
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Dennis Prager: Religious Leaders Too Scared Too Obedient

Post by Chip »

And this, from the article:

"All this notwithstanding, the fact is that a disproportionate percentage of those who defied irrational and unconstitutional governmental mandates have been religious Americans. The tragedy of American religious life is that religious people who lack courage are concentrated in leadership positions."

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

He always is spot on. Love him.

CuriousThinker
captain of 1,000

Post by CuriousThinker »

Amen!!! He tells it like it is!

Dusty Wanderer
captain of 1,000

Post by Dusty Wanderer »

iu-2.gif
iu-2.gif (1.81 MiB) Viewed 484 times

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

GüdFüdDude wrote: February 15th, 2022, 11:23 am https://townhall.com/columnists/dennisp ... s-n2603293

"The tragedy of American religious life is that religious people who lack courage are concentrated in leadership positions."

"Given the sheeplike behavior of so many of America's religious leaders and institutions, the question is: Why?

There are both similar and different answers for each religion. The similar reasons are that most religious institutions and leaders have become largely indistinguishable from their secular counterparts. With the exception of attending church or synagogue, most Christians and Jews think and act like most secular Americans."

"In September 2021, for the 15th consecutive year (except for 2020), I led Jewish High Holiday Services for about 400 people -- no masks required, and no vaccination necessary. Other synagogues could have done the same thing -- but nearly all rabbis and synagogue boards were too scared and too obedient to do so. And of course, the same holds true for most churches, whether Catholic, Protestant or Mormon. Too scared. And too obedient to irrational dictates.

They will pay a price as people will gradually come to understand how weak their religious leaders were. And they will pay another price: by keeping their churches and synagogues closed for so long (for no good reason), many of their congregants may just not return. If my clergy didn't think it was important that I attend for nearly two years, maybe it just isn't that important...."

"Mormons have an additional issue. They are not only expected to obey the Bible, but LDS leaders as well. The head of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the First Presidency, which consists of three men who are regarded as prophets -- God speaks through them. Faithful Mormons therefore regard some First Presidency pronouncements as the word of God.

On Aug. 12, 2021, the First Presidency (whose President is, not surprisingly, a physician) released a statement saying, "we urge individuals to be vaccinated," and "we can win this war if everyone will follow the wise and thoughtful recommendations of medical experts and government leaders."

As Mormons are generally the most socially and politically conservative of America's religious groups, many of them have not regarded the "recommendations of medical experts and government leaders" as "wise and thoughtful." Just as most non-Mormon conservatives do, most Mormon conservatives regard most of our medical experts and government leaders as non-thoughtful, non-wise and too often corrupt."

Prager is correct here. I saw his video on PragerU about how fear, especially IRRATIONAL fear, has caused many problems during this time both in the United States and abroad. I think the current leadership has that fear that they feel that the Church would not be able to stand on its own two legs if they were restricted or banned in many nations. It's not good optics.

But I never remember Jesus doing things just for optics sake. He did things because they were the right things to do.

gradles21
captain of 1,000

Post by gradles21 »

Zionist shills such as Dennis Prager and his ilk should be completely ignored by the religious right.

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

“Faithful Mormons therefore regard some First Presidency pronouncements as the word of God…..”
Not me.

“In September 2021, for the 15th consecutive year (except for 2020), I led Jewish High Holiday Services for about 400 people -- no masks required, and no vaccination necessary. Other synagogues could have done the same thing -- but nearly all rabbis and synagogue boards were too scared and too obedient to do so. And of course, the same holds true for most churches, whether Catholic, Protestant or Mormon. Too scared. And too obedient to irrational dictates.
They will pay a price as people will gradually come to understand how weak their religious leaders were.”
I’ve wondered that since April 2020- why they are so scared and so weak.
I was like do they know about the book of revelation?

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

gradles21 wrote: February 15th, 2022, 1:11 pm Zionist shills such as Dennis Prager and his ilk should be completely ignored by the religious right.
He gives way too much praise to corporations too, which are a major part of our problems.

The World Economic Forum is funded by the world's 1000 biggest companies, Bilderberg was also founded by the Rockefellers and Prince Bernhard of Shell.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Niemand wrote: February 16th, 2022, 8:20 am
gradles21 wrote: February 15th, 2022, 1:11 pm Zionist shills such as Dennis Prager and his ilk should be completely ignored by the religious right.
He gives way too much praise to corporations too, which are a major part of our problems.

The World Economic Forum is funded by the world's 1000 biggest companies, Bilderberg was also founded by the Rockefellers and Prince Bernhard of Shell.
Yeah, I have appreciated some things people like him & Shapiro have said..( ie., True that often Mormonism feminizes men - makes them too agreeable & bad leaders of integrity), but I also have noticed Prager’s & Shapiro’s allegiance isn’t good for many.

gradles21
captain of 1,000

Post by gradles21 »

Thinker wrote: February 16th, 2022, 8:42 am
Niemand wrote: February 16th, 2022, 8:20 am

Yeah, I have appreciated some things people like him & Shapiro have said, but I also have noticed their allegiance isn’t good for many.
They're just Israel First grifters. Sure they'll say a few things that are I agree with, for instance Shapiro says good things about abortion, but he's just a grifting sheets salesman. Any "conservatives" still allowed on YouTube are part of the globohomo agenda.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

GüdFüdDude wrote: February 15th, 2022, 11:23 am Faithful Mormons therefore regard some First Presidency pronouncements as the word of God.
So... sad... really is. Simply because a man told you so, doesn't make it right. So damning, so prideful.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

gradles21 wrote: February 16th, 2022, 8:49 amThey're just Israel First grifters. Sure they'll say a few things that are I agree with, for instance Shapiro says good things about abortion, but he's just a grifting sheets salesman. Any "conservatives" still allowed on YouTube are part of the globohomo agenda.
True, if you listen carefully, you see how many are controlled opposition.

Zionism is not what people are led to think it is. Zionists helped Nazi’s kick out Jews. Israel (stolen in 1948 from currently homeless Palestinians) gets more US foreign aid than all others combined. And what do they do? Sell US military intelligence to China.

Just those facts ought to make anyone think twice, or ideally many times. :)

Btw, funny news:
“Orthodox rabbis condemn CAIR, say charges of ‘Islamophobia’ against Jewish groups ‘antisemitic'”

^Who can pretend to be most oppressed?