Non-observance of Christmas

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Non-observance of Christmas

Post by Robin Hood »

Are there others on the forum who don't observe Christmas, or am I the only one?

We quit the whole thing 3 years ago and have never regretted it. No Nimrod tree, no lights or decorations of any kind, no cards, no presents, no carol services, no FP Christmas devotional.... nothing.
It's great.

All we do is have a meal with the family, which is something we do regularly anyway.

I would be interested to hear from others who feel the same way.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Non-observance of Christmas

Post by Niemand »

I do very little at Christmas. I do send cards, but I notice how few of the cards on sale are Christian. Our ward was out buying some and I made a point of asking for Christian ones and what did they do? They only went and got some with a wreath drawn on the front and "Season's Greetings" written inside. 🤦‍♂️

So whenever I get some I get ones with nativity scenes, the three wise men etc. Even paintings of Jesus and Mary although I know that is heading in the RC direction. Otherwise I'd be buying ones with penguins on (apparently the latest thing, from what I saw in the shops), Santa, and other Winterval rubbish.

I don't agree with you about carols. That's one thing I do enjoy at this time of year. You occasionally hear actual Christian or quasi-Christian music on mainstream radio programmes too, like Mary's Boy Child by Boney M or something like Johnny Mathis' When a Child is Born which at least points to the nativity.

Christmas is partly pagan (actually as much commercial these days), but it is one of the few times mainstream society lets the memory of Jesus in, for which I'm grateful. I also know Jesus was probably born in April.

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

Niemand wrote: December 15th, 2021, 5:29 am Otherwise I'd be buying ones with penguins on (apparently the latest thing, from what I saw in the shops)
😂😂

briznian
captain of 100

Post by briznian »

I haven’t stopped but definitely questioning. My extended family does Christmas to 11 and makes it not very fun any more.

Additionally, I read a comment online last year about Jesus never asking or commanding us to celebrate His birth. It made me start to rethink how we operate.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

briznian wrote: December 15th, 2021, 6:43 am Additionally, I read a comment online last year about Jesus never asking or commanding us to celebrate His birth. It made me start to rethink how we operate.
My advice... remove anything to do with Santa, because he has evolved from St. Nicholas into the god of this festival. Also most seasonal pop music. (With few exceptions.) Maybe exchange gifts but on a limited scale.

Have a nice meal, but don't overindulge or overspend.

Christmas is a good way to introduce children to the gospel in a positive way, through carol singing and imagery. Much easier than some other stuff. But only if you remove the distractions like Santa, reindeer, elves, and most of the winter imagery.

Avoid anything with sleigh bells on it as well... just corny and horrible. But some marketers think morons will think sleigh bells ŕepresent Christmas.

Wondering Wendy
captain of 100

Post by Wondering Wendy »

I was personally admonished by the Lord not to participate last year. Even so, I visited my son and gave him a gift a few days afterward, and the Lord was not happy with me at all. :(

It makes it very difficult since all my family still celebrates. I don't know what I will do this year. I feel like Scrooge, now, in everyone's eyes. Not that I will ever disobey the Lord again on this matter. So, Bah! Humbug!

There is a big Hebrew roots movement going on in the Christian community. Many are leaving the pagan holidays behind and focusing on God's feast days from the OT. I am not in the movement, but I do think there is something to the idea of celebrating the actual holidays (holy days) the Lord once commanded Israel, instead of pagan-mangled festivals.

Anyway, my experience is for me. This might be something every person should take to the Lord for themselves. :)

gradles21
captain of 1,000

Post by gradles21 »

This video from Devon Stack changed how I feel about Christmas. Christmas truly has been subverted and is now a Jewish holiday. We still celebrate it at my house because it is so fun for the kids, but the materialism surrounding Christmas is so disgusting. https://www.bitchute.com/video/L5p4jZIaw6KC/

Chip
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Chip »

My friend Erik showed me this interesting critique of Christmas With The Kranks. It's communist Satanic propaganda:

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Pazooka »

We gradually weened ourselves off of Christmas over about a three year span until finally, last year, we did not celebrate at all except to have an excuse for some exceptional meals with the family who was brave enough to get together despite Covid restrictions.

It has been wonderful!!! We still do the seasonal baking but that has nothing to do with Christmas and everything to do with the fact that baking in Winter just feels like the right thing to do.

When I explain to people why we don’t celebrate, all I say is that it never brought us any closer to Jesus…the buying presents and the tree, etc. Most people I talk to tend to agree with that. In fact, it’s become a major distraction and a vehicle for idolatry, IMO. Plus, 2020 really woke me up to the necessity of getting rid of any idolatry in my life that I could recognize.

We jump through so many hoops to try and connect Christmas to Jesus and after years and years of trying to make it fit, I finally couldn’t stomach the discrepancy.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Wondering Wendy wrote: December 15th, 2021, 8:07 am I was personally admonished by the Lord not to participate last year. Even so, I visited my son and gave him a gift a few days afterward, and the Lord was not happy with me at all. :(

It makes it very difficult since all my family still celebrates. I don't know what I will do this year. I feel like Scrooge, now, in everyone's eyes. Not that I will ever disobey the Lord again on this matter. So, Bah! Humbug!

There is a big Hebrew roots movement going on in the Christian community. Many are leaving the pagan holidays behind and focusing on God's feast days from the OT. I am not in the movement, but I do think there is something to the idea of celebrating the actual holidays (holy days) the Lord once commanded Israel, instead of pagan-mangled festivals.

Anyway, my experience is for me. This might be something every person should take to the Lord for themselves. :)
The God-given holy days are the next thing. I need to study them and find out the what, when, where and why. The Feast of Tabernacles is something to look forward to.

pho·to·syn·the·sis
captain of 100

Post by pho·to·syn·the·sis »

I like Christmas celebration. A great time to celebrate with family, friends and neighbors. Not a fan of Hebrew roots.

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

Wow, I'm sorry. Christmas has always been the greatest time of the year for my family, and will always be. I do see commercialization, but it is everywhere, so. I've gone so far as to fight for Christmas. As my company and community tried to make it just a holiday.

Anyone who cannot see the value in taking a day or two and getting together, having fun, reading bible stories, and enjoying happiness is on a cliff to no where. I mean there are more movies and stories about happiness and love being circulated these weeks than all year long.

It is obviously voluntary, but I do feel sorry for any and all that don't see the value in observing a day of Jesus Christ. We really only have two in the US and the other is always on Sunday so we don't even get time off to observe it (Easter).

So for those who relish in Christmas merry and joy I say "Merry Christmas" and have a wonderful family time (but wear your mask and check those pesky COVID tests and be sure to have your vax cards).

And to be fair for those who don't to my you all happy I say "Bah Humbug" and have a wonderful time alone (alone you don't even need to be COVID tested).

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

TheDuke wrote: December 15th, 2021, 4:05 pm Wow, I'm sorry. Christmas has always been the greatest time of the year for my family, and will always be. I do see commercialization, but it is everywhere, so. I've gone so far as to fight for Christmas. As my company and community tried to make it just a holiday.
You're lucky you don't live here. There is a playlist of maybe a dozen (or two dozen) 70s and 80s pop songs which get played ad nauseam here. Every shop, every radio station, and every cafe. It's barely changed in my lifetime. I'm sure Robin Hood will back me up on that.

I feel Christmas is for children. I'm not a child anymore, and my god daughter is seventeen or so now, so I don't really get anything for her.

Allison
captain of 1,000

Post by Allison »

Our tree is adorned with nativity ornaments, no Santas or snowmen whatsoever. I’m trying to develop a tradition for Advent, the four Sundays before Christmas. And our Christmas music is all Christ-centered. Just finished listening to the King’s Choir (Cambridge) Christmas CD. Exalting music!

I think traditions have a lot of potential for good (or ill). This whole season causes us to focus a lot more, and even more joyfully on Christ, our Savior. It inspires us to give more to charity. My husband just reminded me to give each of our garbage men a tip tomorrow when they come, so they have it for Christmas. Little stuff like that would not likely cross our minds if it was just the end of a fiscal or calendar year.

At the thrift store today I bought a baby doll and talked with the cashier about how it was going to be our Baby Jesus. Everybody is saying Merry Christmas again, just love it!

On Christmas Eve, our meal is what I imagine might have been common in Bethlehem a couple of thousand years ago—hummus, tabouli, homemade pita bread (a new twist), grape juice, and a Lebanese salad, etc. And Christmas stories are the best!

I think Christmas is what you make of it, and there are some things from Western civilization that are worth preserving and passing down through the generations, perhaps with some serious tweaking.
Last edited by Allison on December 16th, 2021, 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

markharr
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by markharr »

I minimally observe it. I observe it for my families sake but try my hardest to keep it grounded and centered on Christ. Now that the kid are gone, I am trying to get my wife onboard with giving handmade gifts made by us or mom and pop type businesses in lieu of the garbage from big box stores that is made by slaves.

My wife puts up a big tree. I put up the Charlie Brown tree. I think it is more symbolic of the Saviors humble birth.

markharr
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by markharr »

Niemand wrote: December 15th, 2021, 4:08 pm
TheDuke wrote: December 15th, 2021, 4:05 pm Wow, I'm sorry. Christmas has always been the greatest time of the year for my family, and will always be. I do see commercialization, but it is everywhere, so. I've gone so far as to fight for Christmas. As my company and community tried to make it just a holiday.
You're lucky you don't live here. There is a playlist of maybe a dozen (or two dozen) 70s and 80s pop songs which get played ad nauseam here. Every shop, every radio station, and every cafe. It's barely changed in my lifetime. I'm sure Robin Hood will back me up on that.

I feel Christmas is for children. I'm not a child anymore, and my god daughter is seventeen or so now, so I don't really get anything for her.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

markharr wrote: December 15th, 2021, 4:40 pm

We get that one here occasionally.

Mostly we get British glam rock bands no one ever remembers much otherwise (apart from Slade). It's one hit wonder heaven. George Michael's Wham song is also on endlessly.

markharr
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by markharr »

Niemand wrote: December 15th, 2021, 4:43 pm
markharr wrote: December 15th, 2021, 4:40 pm

We get that one here occasionally.

Mostly we get British glam rock bands no one ever remembers much otherwise (apart from Slade). It's one hit wonder heaven. George Michael's Wham song is also on endlessly.
That one plays endlessly here as well. Even worse, artists like Taylor Swift have covered it and the cover gets played endlessly along with the original.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

briznian wrote: December 15th, 2021, 6:43 am…I read a comment online last year about Jesus never asking or commanding us to celebrate His birth. It made me start to rethink how we operate.
I’ve written as much. When you think about it, from the humble perspective of Christ, his telling of his birth was not for us to celebrate but rather “without a parable spake he not unto them.”

The beautiful thing about parables is so many possible interpretations depending on your point of view at that moment. It’s like the stages of development where kids think in concrete terms - literally. That’s fine - maybe even needed to set a foundation, but then there comes a time to “put off childish things.”

I have wondered about different interpretations of the birth parable.
Maybe…
Mary represents motherhood as a way of “magnifying the Lord.” *
Babies within mothers’ wombs spiritually sense.

Angels minister every birth - each birth is sacred & blessed. In fact, EVERY person is “born of water” coming from amniotic fluid. “Except ye are born of water…”. Getting a body is so important and significant.

Present tense: “is born”… “the kingdom of God is within you.” “I AM that I AM” (not I was or - I will be). Life is lived in the present, not via time travel.

There are other interpretations but I’ll let others expand, if they want.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

pho·to·syn·the·sis wrote: December 15th, 2021, 2:58 pm I like Christmas celebration. A great time to celebrate with family, friends and neighbors. Not a fan of Hebrew roots.
I agree with you & Duke. But it’s kinda a narrow maze. I don’t believe in the literal, dogmatic interpretation (as I explained in previous post). I recognize there are many spirits… some better than others. But generally, the spirit of Christmas is incredibly uplifting & connecting! As I explain to my kids when they ask why I like tennis or uno etc so much… I say “It’s not about the specific activity as much as it being a way to spend time together.” Christmas is like a key that many only use once a year to love others who they normally wouldn’t. That’s godly!

Even the Spirit of Santa Clause is beautiful & may help build a belief foundation and faith for a loving Heavenly Father who knows & loves each of His children, wants each child to be good & is happy to bless them with gifts.

oneClimbs
captain of 1,000

Post by oneClimbs »

I like Christmas. I like Thanksgiving and the holidays. I appropriate the good and use it to my own benefit.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

RH brings this up every year. He either 1) secretly regrets it and is seeking others of like mind to make him feel better or 2) is virtue signaling. :)

For me and my house, Christmas is cool.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

Follow the Spirit

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated