Masks now required in the UK in LDS Churches

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Masks now required in the UK in LDS Churches

Post by Luke »

Just got an email confirming it. What’s it like elsewhere? I’m curious to see how it is tomorrow in North Dakota.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Re: Masks now required in the UK in LDS Churches

Post by marc »

Here in Ogden, Utah, no such thing...yet? We have a big ward Christmas party tonight and as I haven't worn my mask in months, I don't plan to start now. I'd say 95% of my ward members don't wear any such thing.

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

Such is their right to require them (or not require them).

Their yard, their rules.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

True. And our right to leave the yard and go into the wilderness, which always seems like the appropriate location for His people.

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

marc wrote: December 11th, 2021, 10:58 am True. And our right to leave the yard and go into the wilderness, which always seems like the appropriate location for His people.
That also is your right.

Problem is, there's hardly any "wilderness" left.

LDS Physician
captain of 1,000

Post by LDS Physician »

Subcomandante wrote: December 11th, 2021, 11:00 am
marc wrote: December 11th, 2021, 10:58 am True. And our right to leave the yard and go into the wilderness, which always seems like the appropriate location for His people.
That also is your right.

Just you wait. I think a lot of wilderness is going to be made in the near future.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

That also is your right.

There is plenty of wilderness left. For example, one’s living room and scriptures instead of a chapel.

TrueFaith
captain of 1,000

Post by TrueFaith »

That also is your right.

The truth is that the LDS church is quickly becoming "the wilderness", ie the Great and Spacious Building, the Mists of Darkness, and the gulf of filthy water. You're going to soon be utterly lost if you stay there.

The rest will be right at home, safely holding to the Rod of Iron in the Kingdom.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

We won't be wearing masks at church tomorrow.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Not in Scotland, I think we've alresdy got that supposed rule.

I was on the door for a while. Anyone who wanted an exemption only had to ask... but I wasn't going to question anyone who didn't.

I made a point at ward council to say how stupid wearing the masks while singing was. Or how I can sit in a bar, restaurant or cafe without them on. I can't sing with the bloody things on.

PaulH
captain of 50

Post by PaulH »

I am in Logan. My Stake is still pushing masks. About 80%of my ward wear them. I refuse to wear one and when handed one by a stake pres councilor, I refused it. He was shocked that I wouldn't follow the direction given. My Bishop did the same thing about 10 min later. After church I explained to both of them my rational. At least they don't bother me about it. Anyway, I kind of put them on the spot as I am the EQ Pres in the ward and the only one in leadership that refuses to wear a mask. I stand in the foyer every Sunday greeting people as the come in. On several occasions members have walked in and seeing that I am not wearing a mask, they take theirs off. There are a few others in my ward that refuse and we are rebels together. But most just do what they are told. If they make it mandatory here, I guess I will watch from home.

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

Subcomandante wrote: December 11th, 2021, 10:52 am Such is their right to require them (or not require them).

Their yard, their rules.
I've always thought of the church as "ours." Obviously, I was wrong.

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Stake Pres'y asked that we wear masks UNLESS we can socially distance.
Big discussion at Ward Council last Tuesday eve, we'll support the Stake.

I haven't worn a mask here for months, probably 9 months. But I said I would wear a mask tomorrow.
I like to wear a "mask with a message". I've worn the US flag, and "Keep America Great" on it, large letters.
I really don't mind wearing a mask for 45 minutes (the Stake-prescribed length), as long as I can express myself.

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Oh, and I bought a mask with a nice beard and a pleasant smile. It should arrive today so I may wear it tomorrow.
More handsome than my "real face" I think

Chip
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Chip »

PaulH wrote: December 11th, 2021, 12:41 pm I am in Logan. My Stake is still pushing masks. About 80%of my ward wear them. I refuse to wear one and when handed one by a stake pres councilor, I refused it. He was shocked that I wouldn't follow the direction given. My Bishop did the same thing about 10 min later. After church I explained to both of them my rational. At least they don't bother me about it. Anyway, I kind of put them on the spot as I am the EQ Pres in the ward and the only one in leadership that refuses to wear a mask. I stand in the foyer every Sunday greeting people as the come in. On several occasions members have walked in and seeing that I am not wearing a mask, they take theirs off. There are a few others in my ward that refuse and we are rebels together. But most just do what they are told. If they make it mandatory here, I guess I will watch from home.
Not so fast there.

We got a letter from our bishop the other day saying that in order to "help the members" return to church, they are rescinding the blanket permission to perform the sacrament at home. Also, the sacrament Zoom URL will only be given out on a case-by-case basis after requesting it from the bishop.

This all came about after a special stake conference last weekend, where the bishops and presidents were told by an authority from SLC to get people back to church. On Sunday morning, our stake president gave a talk where, twice, he mentioned how, in various past circumstances, he was able to administer the sacrament because he had received permission from the presiding authority. I knew something was up when he told the second story with this same detail.

Everyone was asked to wear masks and socially distance at the stake conference, but most on the stand ignored it, except for the stake presidency.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Subcomandante wrote: December 11th, 2021, 10:52 am Such is their right to require them (or not require them).

Their yard, their rules.
Maybe they should mandate white only masks to go with the white shirt.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

BroJones wrote: December 11th, 2021, 12:58 pm Stake Pres'y asked that we wear masks UNLESS we can socially distance.
Big discussion at Ward Council last Tuesday eve, we'll support the Stake.

I haven't worn a mask here for months, probably 9 months. But I said I would wear a mask tomorrow.
I like to wear a "mask with a message". I've worn the US flag, and "Keep America Great" on it, large letters.
I really don't mind wearing a mask for 45 minutes (the Stake-prescribed length), as long as I can express myself.
We need to understand the difference between the Common Law (sometimes referred to as Natural Law or the Law of the Land) and Corporate or Contract Law (sometimes referred to as Admiralty Law or Law of the Sea).
I haven't time to explain it right now, but I will later.
However, the upshot is that it is crucially important that we not comply with any face covering mandates if we value our freedom and sovereignty.

Niyr
captain of 100

Post by Niyr »

PaulH wrote: December 11th, 2021, 12:41 pm I am in Logan. My Stake is still pushing masks. About 80%of my ward wear them. I refuse to wear one and when handed one by a stake pres councilor, I refused it. He was shocked that I wouldn't follow the direction given. My Bishop did the same thing about 10 min later. After church I explained to both of them my rational. At least they don't bother me about it. Anyway, I kind of put them on the spot as I am the EQ Pres in the ward and the only one in leadership that refuses to wear a mask. I stand in the foyer every Sunday greeting people as the come in. On several occasions members have walked in and seeing that I am not wearing a mask, they take theirs off. There are a few others in my ward that refuse and we are rebels together. But most just do what they are told. If they make it mandatory here, I guess I will watch from home.
When I lived in Logan, not sure if it was my ward or the whole stake, but they shut the chapel doors and wouldn’t pass the sacrament to anyone outside the chapel, except the mother’s lounge. Something about if you were late, you weren’t prepared for the sacrament.

Chip
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Chip »

Niyr wrote: December 11th, 2021, 3:10 pm
When I lived in Logan, not sure if it was my ward or the whole stake, but they shut the chapel doors and wouldn’t pass the sacrament to anyone outside the chapel, except the mother’s lounge. Something about if you were late, you weren’t prepared for the sacrament.
Control, control, control. Make it punitive, even.

PeacefulProtests
captain of 100

Post by PeacefulProtests »

What I don't understand is this notion that I have to wear a mask to protect others. Why can't others protect themselves? What is preventing them from protecting themselves? Its a good question to start asking people. These mandates negate all personal responsibility

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Robin Hood wrote: December 11th, 2021, 3:01 pm We need to understand the difference between the Common Law (sometimes referred to as Natural Law or the Law of the Land) and Corporate or Contract Law (sometimes referred to as Admiralty Law or Law of the Sea).
I haven't time to explain it right now, but I will later.
However, the upshot is that it is crucially important that we not comply with any face covering mandates if we value our freedom and sovereignty.
I always thought the law of the sea was the right to eat anyone who died on the lifeboat.... that's probably the other law of the sea.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Fans of the film "They Live" may like this one

PaulH
captain of 50

Post by PaulH »

Niyr wrote: December 11th, 2021, 3:10 pm
That's crazy! I have lived here for 14 years, I haven't seen that level of control. I really like the people in my ward and neighborhood. My bishop is a good friend, I have known him for 12 years. I previously served on the HC, so I know the Stake Presidency pretty well, they are great people also. I think most of them don't look ahead and are busy with their lives, family, and callings, that they don't see what is really going on in the world or even the church.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Niyr wrote: December 11th, 2021, 3:10 pm When I lived in Logan, not sure if it was my ward or the whole stake, but they shut the chapel doors and wouldn’t pass the sacrament to anyone outside the chapel, except the mother’s lounge. Something about if you were late, you weren’t prepared for the sacrament.
Someone tried to start that here. I soon put a stop to it.

cwass
captain of 100

Post by cwass »

Is there a mask mandate in your area? For the church to mandate masks above and beyond what the local government is trying to enforce is wired. Also the mandates are not usually considered constitutional as for them to be enacted the legislature needs to make the law. A governor can't just tell you to wear a mask and it be the law.
I think it's dangerous to comply especially if you feel like you shouldn't. Especially for the sake of obedience. Unless of course you believe the science and God has blessed your decision