Marijuana is not against the WOW

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Re: Marijuana is not against the WOW

Post by BeNotDeceived »

abijah` wrote: November 21st, 2021, 8:50 am
Gadianton Slayer wrote: November 21st, 2021, 8:16 am What better way is there to have a spiritual experience?
Shrooms? :lol: 2023: "First Presidency Announces Psilocybin and MDMA Therapy is in Keeping with WoW When Overseen by Certified Physician"
An anagram of LDS. 8-)

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

BeNotDeceived wrote: November 21st, 2021, 12:21 pm
abijah` wrote: November 21st, 2021, 8:50 am
Gadianton Slayer wrote: November 21st, 2021, 8:16 am What better way is there to have a spiritual experience?
Shrooms? :lol: 2023: "First Presidency Announces Psilocybin and MDMA Therapy is in Keeping with WoW When Overseen by Certified Physician"
An anagram of LDS. 8-)
"I think he did a little too much LDS."

sam_onofree
captain of 50

Post by sam_onofree »

The Word of Wisdom never made sense to me until I thought about it in terms of the decay of society. If I am ever forced to escape into the wilderness because the cities are too dangerous, it's going to be a lot harder for me if I'm going through withdrawals of any type or too out of shape to make the journey. As soon as I realized that, I cut out caffeine entirely and I will tell you, it made me sicker than sick for a few days. I didn't even realize I had built up a dependency on it.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

I think I have the wrong doctor, maybe i need this man. Under strict professional supervision of course.

I would rather use marijuana for certain medical purposes than get a Covid injection... probably safer.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/06/0 ... ana-491924

How the Mormon church unlocked medical pot for deep red states [They didn't use the correct name!]
“They did everything that they could to fight this until the people had spoken," a former state lawmaker said of the church.

SALT LAKE CITY — On a Thursday in October 2018, a handful of Utah’s top lawmakers, representatives from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and medical marijuana advocates filed into the Gold Room, an ornate space in the state Capitol.

They were joined by the Utah Medical Association and law enforcement groups to announce a deal to legalize medical marijuana across the state.

Everyone was there in large part because the church had decided they would be.

“You could just almost hear the teeth grinding of the law enforcement — and some of the other people that were sitting there — having to play nice and say 'Oh yeah … this is all kumbaya.' Because, it wasn't,” said former Republican Utah state Sen. Mark Madsen, who worked to pass medical marijuana legislation. “The church made that happen.”

EXTRACT

sasawest
captain of 10

Post by sasawest »

JohnnyL wrote: November 21st, 2021, 7:31 am
Robin Hood wrote: November 21st, 2021, 6:15 am I was on a plane from Salt Lake City to Newark NJ once and found myself sitting next to a young lady with the surname Tanner. She was related (granddaughter or great-granddaughter) to N. Eldon Tanner, formerly of the First Presidency. She was on her way to take part in American Idol.

It was a 4 or 5 hour flight so we got talking about a number of things. Eventually the word of wisdom came up. She had a question regarding coffee cake. She said some people think it's ok to eat it and some people don't, but what did I think?

I asked her "Is coffee cake a hot drink?"
There has never been any coffee in a "coffee cake" I have eaten (checked the ingredients).

We bought some ice cream with "Mocha" in small print on the label; checked; no mocha or any form of coffee in it. Weird.
I believe it’s called coffee cake because it’s meant to be eaten with coffee as a complimentary item. Not because coffee is in it.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

sasawest wrote: November 22nd, 2021, 3:10 pm
JohnnyL wrote: November 21st, 2021, 7:31 am
Robin Hood wrote: November 21st, 2021, 6:15 am I was on a plane from Salt Lake City to Newark NJ once and found myself sitting next to a young lady with the surname Tanner. She was related (granddaughter or great-granddaughter) to N. Eldon Tanner, formerly of the First Presidency. She was on her way to take part in American Idol.

It was a 4 or 5 hour flight so we got talking about a number of things. Eventually the word of wisdom came up. She had a question regarding coffee cake. She said some people think it's ok to eat it and some people don't, but what did I think?

I asked her "Is coffee cake a hot drink?"
There has never been any coffee in a "coffee cake" I have eaten (checked the ingredients).

We bought some ice cream with "Mocha" in small print on the label; checked; no mocha or any form of coffee in it. Weird.
I believe it’s called coffee cake because it’s meant to be eaten with coffee as a complimentary item. Not because coffee is in it.
Partly true, much as a teacake has no tea in it, but I do know people who make it with coffee in it.

MikeMaillet
captain of 1,000

Post by MikeMaillet »

What I was never able to understand was why so much hatred over a plant? Remember who created all these plants? Huh? Eh? The thorns and the briars in the scriptures are usually metaphors for bad people, not bad plants :-)

In Canada we've never been too excited about this stuff, certainly not like in the USA. I use cannabis daily because it calms me down, allows me to focus and more importantly, the first thing I want to do after using cannabis is to study the scriptures. I will never understand why people who call themselves Christians would be so willing to lock me up (if I was not in Canada) and ruin my life for the use of a plant that brings me closer to God, the same God they worship.

I think I'm mildly autistic and maybe this is a case of an herb being used with skill, my skill, not some doctor who gets his license from the guy who would lock me up. I don't veg on the couch all day and I've lost a significant amount of weight since using the herb. I feel no guilt, whatsoever.

A very Happy Thanksgiving to all my friends south of the border!

Mike Maillet
Ingleside, Ontario

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

MikeMaillet wrote: November 26th, 2021, 9:41 am What I was never able to understand was why so much hatred over a plant? Remember who created all these plants? Huh? Eh? The thorns and the briars in the scriptures are usually metaphors for bad people, not bad plants :-)

In Canada we've never been too excited about this stuff, certainly not like in the USA. I use cannabis daily because it calms me down, allows me to focus and more importantly, the first thing I want to do after using cannabis is to study the scriptures. I will never understand why people who call themselves Christians would be so willing to lock me up (if I was not in Canada) and ruin my life for the use of a plant that brings me closer to God, the same God they worship.

I think I'm mildly autistic and maybe this is a case of an herb being used with skill, my skill, not some doctor who gets his license from the guy who would lock me up. I don't veg on the couch all day and I've lost a significant amount of weight since using the herb. I feel no guilt, whatsoever.

A very Happy Thanksgiving to all my friends south of the border!

Mike Maillet
Ingleside, Ontario
I've worked with people who were potheads in one capacity and another, and I'm not impressed. It sucks a lot of the life out of them, so they just don't feel like doing anything... or rather they talk a lot about this, that and the other and don't do it.

I'm not sure about cannabis for autism. I believe it can help with epileptiform stuff, which is often comorbid with ASD, but it also increases paranoia in many people which is not good for an autistic person.

MikeMaillet
captain of 1,000

Post by MikeMaillet »

I've met a few young users who fit the stereotype but most of them have either stopped using altogether or they have reduced their usage after a while of being in a haze. The majority of the people I know who use cannabis are in their middle-age and use the product sparingly. I work 12-hour rotating shifts and cannabis allows me to sleep and function. The problem with cannabis, and there are a few, is that it needs to be used with skill. There are certain strains that I stay away from because they will make you drowsy whereas there are some strains that do the opposite.

I'm an amateur musician and use cannabis when I practice and/or play. Cannabis increases the appreciation of music and also changes the way my brain processes sound. I can hear my mistakes better and can better focus on what I'm playing. I find also that cannabis tends to open doors to creativity. Cannabis does not make me more creative but it does allow me to get away from relying on muscle memory and to explore new patterns, timing... I've met musicians who have tried cannabis and for them, it was a total disaster. One guy, a great guitar player, played a wonderful solo at a gig except that the song was in the key of 'A' and he played the solo in "B flat". He never used again. I have a brother-in-law who is a professional drummer and bassist who does not use cannabis because it induces paranoia and for him, the effect is strong. This is not an issue for me.

I believe that the plant can be of great benefit to some whilst being a distraction for others. All I know is that when I use cannabis my first inclination is to either study scriptures or to do something that is very physical such as going for an hour-long bicycle ride at the highest speed possible or go work in the backyard. This is behaviour that is not consistent with the stereotype and I'm beginning to wonder if the stereotype is not a bit exaggerated.

I chuckle at all this BS about medical use and "it's okay if doctor prescribes it"... It's a plant, period. I use it with skill and it enriches my life. I sleep better, am more energized, more loving, kinder and more patient. For this, a large number of LDS would like to see me locked up. Go figure!

Mike Maillet
Ingleside, Ontario

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

A lot of people who take it regularly seem to become very obsessed with it, and talk about it all the time. I think the addiction aspect of cannabis is less obvious than certain other things, but this obsession is a manifestation of it. It isn't the wonder drug some claim, nor is it a heroin style horror.

However, I dispute that the laziness thing is a stereotype. I have come across it again and again. Talented people, young people, end up with no energy or will to do anything. I refuse to work with such people now. I used to be in political groups with some of them. The best way to operate was to sideline them, so that we could actually get things done instead of just talking about it.

I also know another guy who developed full blown schizophrenia as a result of it. He can be seen dancing around sidewalks/pavements and doing funny movements, and claims to be a shaman. (I don't think he's ever been to North America).

I believe the main reason it will be legalised is $$$s - a lot of tax revenue there. It's not as bad as some things, but I would never get in a car with anyone I knew had been smoking it in the last couple of days.
I chuckle at all this BS about medical use and "it's okay if doctor prescribes it"...
Well, one should take great care with some things that doctors hand out. Look at what happened to Elvis and Michael Jackson. They largely died from doctors' pills.

MikeMaillet
captain of 1,000

Post by MikeMaillet »

All I know is what the stuff does for me and so far, the pluses greatly outweigh the minuses. I've read about cannabis' connection with schizophrenia and there is some argument about whether cannabis causes schizophrenia or if it acts as a catalyst for those who would be prone to the condition. I personally know one young man who developed schizophrenia after beginning using cannabis in his early 20s but I don't know if cannabis was the cause.

I remember all the talk a few years ago in Canada about legalization and all the money the government would be making... I used to laugh at this. Cannabis appeals to about 30% of users, the majority not liking the product. The ones who currently use cannabis are either growing it themselves or have found a reliable source. The supply more than met the demand and an equilibrium had been reached where the product was consistent in quality, was readily available and was reasonably priced. Also, there was not much risk of issues with the law back then either. The cops would go after the bigger suppliers and would leave individuals alone. Now we have industrial growers dumping lots of product onto the marketplace. The price and quality have never been so good and the official dispensaries are no lowering their prices because there is a glut of this product. I have so much of it given to me that I now have more than I can use. I'm not sure how much money the government is making on taxes but I'm reasonably sure that it is nowhere near what they envisaged a few years ago.

Lastly, I use cannabis at home and do not mix it with work nor do I drive my car under the influence. My Dad passed away from cancer a number of years ago. I was not using cannabis back then and wish that I had known of its properties when my Dad was undergoing chemotherapy. Cannabis would have calmed his upset stomach and would have increased his appetite.

Like jazz music this stuff is not for everybody but for the record, I'm a big fan of jazz :-)

Mike Maillet
Ingleside, Ontario

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

I remember all the talk a few years ago in Canada about legalization and all the money the government would be making
Governments will end up defeating themselves on this, much like tobacco. Something like 1/3 of tobacco/cigarettes here is illegal, because the government slaps so much tax on cigarettes that it is profitable to smuggle them.

Same thing will probably apply to Cannabis. The argument is that criminals won't be able to coin it in from cannabis anymore, but if the government itself tries to make too much money off it, there will be a fresh black market in it.

Also legalisation is partly a cynical ploy to get the votes of younger people of course, and to look relevant (rather than just being another load of WEF stooges.)

PressingForward
captain of 100

Post by PressingForward »

It’s ok to be gay in our church, so I see nothing wrong with drinking or smoking. Off the rails we are, but yet I still profess to be a member. I am questioning a lot of things I “knew” to be true these days.

I know one thing, I’m done following the man made rules of the church.

TrueFaith
captain of 1,000

Post by TrueFaith »

Fervent reliance on an herb or vitamin or any other earthly medicine to heal you or make you happy is no different than relying on a vaccine. It's all a reliance on the arm of flesh.

Everything should be taken and used with prudence and moderation. Our first source of healing should be our Faith in God.

It tells me an awful lot about a person pushing Marijuana.

abijah`
~dog days~

Post by abijah` »

MikeMaillet wrote: November 28th, 2021, 5:22 am I'm an amateur musician and use cannabis when I practice and/or play. Cannabis increases the appreciation of music and also changes the way my brain processes sound. I can hear my mistakes better and can better focus on what I'm playing. I find also that cannabis tends to open doors to creativity.
100%

Its like my musical intuition and my ears-within-the-mind get dialed into a much more refined resolution. Like going from 360p video quality to 4K.
I believe that the plant can be of great benefit to some whilst being a distraction for others. All I know is that when I use cannabis my first inclination is to either study scriptures or to do something that is very physical such as going for an hour-long bicycle ride at the highest speed possible or go work in the backyard. This is behaviour that is not consistent with the stereotype and I'm beginning to wonder if the stereotype is not a bit exaggerated.
same here. but I definitely don't think its for everyone, and even for myself only as a seasonal thing, up to only around 1/3 - half the year at most, otherwise what was once a seasonal buoy starts to become a burden. To everything there is a season, and when the season of sobriety is what dominates the rhythm of your year, then the intermittent *break* from that has a great deal of good to offer when kept in its proper course, in my case at least.

MikeMaillet
captain of 1,000

Post by MikeMaillet »

TrueFaith wrote: November 28th, 2021, 8:38 am Fervent reliance on an herb or vitamin or any other earthly medicine to heal you or make you happy is no different than relying on a vaccine. It's all a reliance on the arm of flesh.

Everything should be taken and used with prudence and moderation. Our first source of healing should be our Faith in God.

It tells me an awful lot about a person pushing Marijuana.
Except for the fact that cannabis is a plant and therefore God-made whilst the vaccine is man-made and in the case of COVID, the vaccine will likely be the thing that kills you. I also never stated that I used the plant to make me happy. If I got off on celery would you advocate for anti-celery laws?

Mike

TrueFaith
captain of 1,000

Post by TrueFaith »

I'm curious. Those of you who smoke pot, how did you get introduced to it?

Was it from a doctor?
Was it from a friend? What kind of friend? High School, college, work?
Was it legal to use when you started using it?

I ask because I cannot imagine any genuine Christian who would would feel the need to put a stick of fire in their mouth and breathe in smoke to feel better.

I don't care what the effects are. People who defend this crap are not decent people. They're either defending the corrupt medical industry, or they're admitting they have no values. Anyone who smokes anything is trash in my book, as bad as any active homosexual.

TrueFaith
captain of 1,000

Post by TrueFaith »

It's so strange to me how viciously people defend pot. People lose their ever loving minds if you ever bring up something contrary to it.

I mean, you are obviously proving to everyone that it IS affecting you negatively if you behave like this. It's not normal. It has made you sick in the head. You've become a pot cultist.

MikeMaillet
captain of 1,000

Post by MikeMaillet »

TrueFaith wrote: November 28th, 2021, 9:55 am I'm curious. Those of you who smoke pot, how did you get introduced to it?

Was it from a doctor?

I ask because I cannot imagine any genuine Christian who would would feel the need to put a stick of fire in their mouth and breathe in smoke to feel better.

I don't care what the effects are. People who defend this crap are not decent people. They're either defending the corrupt medical industry, or they're admitting they have no values. Anyone who smokes anything is trash in my book, as bad as any active homosexual.
I began using cannabis at the age of 50-51 because I was very depressed. I first went to an LDS counsellor and the first words out of his mouth was a recommendation to take Effexor. I had read about this drug and wanted nothing to do with it. Some of the many side-effects are weight gain, sexual disfunction, brains zaps... I was not interested and left the interview early. I had read a lot about drugs when my kids were growing up and remembered reading that some people take cannabis for mild depression. Being a musician, the stuff is not hard to come by. I didn't smoke the stuff but rather, ingested it with a bit of yogourt. For the first time in many months, I felt normal, not high.

It seems you've already made up your mind that I'm no better than a piece of crap and therefore I no longer wish to discuss this personal side of my life with you any longer.

Salut,

Mike

TrueFaith
captain of 1,000

Post by TrueFaith »

MikeMaillet wrote: November 28th, 2021, 10:05 am
TrueFaith wrote: November 28th, 2021, 9:55 am I'm curious. Those of you who smoke pot, how did you get introduced to it?

Was it from a doctor?

I began using cannabis at the age of 50-51 because I was very depressed. I first went to an LDS counsellor and the first words out of his mouth was a recommendation to take Effexor. I had read about this drug and wanted nothing to do with it. Some of the many side-effects are weight gain, sexual disfunction, brains zaps... I was not interested and left the interview early. I had read a lot about drugs when my kids were growing up and remembered reading that some people take cannabis for mild depression. Being a musician, the stuff is not hard to come by. I didn't smoke the stuff but rather, ingested it with a bit of yogourt. For the first time in many months, I felt normal, not high.

It seems you've already made up your mind that I'm no better than a piece of crap and therefore I no longer wish to discuss this personal side of my life with you any longer.

Salut,

Mike
Where did you get it from though? A doctor?

I'm trying to understand the lunacy that goes through someone's head to get to the point where you think putting smoke in your lungs is the answer.

MikeMaillet
captain of 1,000

Post by MikeMaillet »

TrueFaith wrote: November 28th, 2021, 9:58 am It's so strange to me how viciously people defend pot. People lose their ever loving minds if you ever bring up something contrary to it.

I mean, you are obviously proving to everyone that it IS affecting you negatively if you behave like this. It's not normal. It has made you sick in the head. You've become a pot cultist.
Please do not assume that I'm defending the use of pot. It works for me and that's all I know. What I find difficult understanding is people like you who foam at the mouth at the mere mention of the subject and then label me a piece of crap without knowing who I am. All I want is to be left alone and quite frankly, I find your moralizing rather annoying. Go away and don't bother me anymore with your uninformed opinions.

Now, this will be my final message to you.

Ciao,

Mike

TrueFaith
captain of 1,000

Post by TrueFaith »

MikeMaillet wrote: November 28th, 2021, 10:08 am
TrueFaith wrote: November 28th, 2021, 9:58 am It's so strange to me how viciously people defend pot. People lose their ever loving minds if you ever bring up something contrary to it.

Please do not assume that I'm defending the use of pot. It works for me and that's all I know. What I find difficult understanding is people like you who foam at the mouth at the mere mention of the subject and then label me a piece of crap without knowing who I am. All I want is to be left alone and quite frankly, I find your moralizing rather annoying. Go away and don't bother me anymore with your uninformed opinions.

Now, this will be my final message to you.

Ciao,

Mike
Ok. No problem. I'm not singling you out. I'm just calling it like it is. Bad behavior deserves to be called out. I'm not going to hide my beliefs because it may offend people.

I'm pro truth before I'm pro freedom. If something is bad for society and it goes against God's word, I am 100% for banning that thing. We can measure what is "good" by the Scriptures.

We already legislate morality. We ban murder, we ban theft because those things hurt others. So does homosexuality, adultery, and drug use. They should all be illegal, and that includes pharmaceutical drugs.

abijah`
~dog days~

Post by abijah` »

TrueFaith wrote: November 28th, 2021, 10:18 am
Ok. No problem. I'm not singling you out. I'm just calling it like it is. Bad behavior deserves to be called out. I'm not going to hide my beliefs because it may offend people.

I'm pro truth before I'm pro freedom. If something is bad for society and it goes against God's word, I am 100% for banning that thing. We can measure what is "good" by the Scriptures.

We already legislate morality. We ban murder, we ban theft because those things hurt others. So does homosexuality, adultery, and drug use. They should all be illegal, and that includes pharmaceutical drugs.
Image just *chillll ouutttttt* bruv you're throwing off my wake`n`bake vibe, yo :lol:

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

Was it from a doctor?

I can't imagine a Christian who would put a glass of liquid to their mouth and drink it to feel good.....oh wait.....lol lol lol lol

If I could transfer you back to jesus's time, He would offend you. Can you imagine his first miracle to the Jews was a mind-altering substance....

You've this spirit in you , True faith:
19The Son of man came eating and drinking, and they say, Behold a man gluttonous, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners. But wisdom is justified of her children.

Anyone who smokes anything is trash? This is an ironic statement from you. Perhaps when you spiritually mature, you'll understand

You have an authoritarian, Kingsman, brainwashed view of reality. It's cuz your dad and his dad are Brighamites. Ask God to help you see your beam and false traditions

11 Speak not evil one of another, brethren. He that speaketh evil of his brother, and judgeth his brother, speaketh evil of the law, and judgeth the law: but if thou judge the law, thou art not a doer of the law, but a judge.

12 There is one lawgiver, who is able to save and to destroy: who art thou that judgest another?

abijah`
~dog days~

Post by abijah` »

• 1 Enoch 7-8
    And all the others together with them took unto themselves wives, and each chose for himself one, and they began to go in unto them and to defile themselves with them, and they taught them charms and enchantments, and the cutting of roots, and made them acquainted with plants...
    And Azazel taught men to make swords, and knives, and shields, and breastplates, and made known to them the metals of the earth and the art of working them, and bracelets, and ornaments, and the use of antimony, and the beautifying of the eyelids, and all kinds of costly stones, and all colouring tinctures. And there arose much godlessness, and they committed fornication, and they were led astray, and became corrupt in all their ways. Semjaza taught enchantments, and root-cuttings, 'Armaros the resolving of enchantments, Baraqijal (taught) astrology, Kokabel the constellations, Ezeqeel the knowledge of the clouds, Araqiel the signs of the earth, Shamsiel the signs of the sun, and Sariel the course of the moon. And as men perished, they cried, and their cry went up to heaven . . .

Like it or not, if you went back in time to either New Testament era, or more-ancient OT Israel with a substance like cannabis, ^this is the scriptural and theological category they would place it in.

They would place in it the same category as botany/medicines/herblore in general, as well as under the broader umbrella of Techne largely speaking, which includes everything from music & the arts, to metallurgy & craftsmanship, to perfumery & makeup.

Applied knowledge (or what it produces) that -- in of itself -- is not wicked or righteous, but rather, that depending on how you use it.

Christians who look upon the use of cannabis as something inherently, and of itself sinful or unwholesome - it seems its along the basis that cannabis produces a psychoactive effect.

Well, just because something is psychoactive doesn't convince me that its inherently sinful. I know its not a very TBM take, but before Section 89, there is never, in any scripture I'm aware of, banning the use of psychoactive substances, such as wine for example. Wine is never banned, and its psychoactive effect is directly referenced, and even attributed as the reason for God creating it:
  • Psalm 104
    You cause the grass to grow for the livestock and plants for man to cultivate, that he may bring forth food from the earth and wine to gladden the heart of man, oil to make his face shine and bread to strengthen man’s heart.
  • John 2
    Everyone serves the good wine first, and when people have drunk freely, then the poor wine. But you have kept the good wine until now.
So just on the basis that something has a psychoactive effect doesn't persuade me its inherently wrong.

Now, marijuana is seriously misused by most users I agree. Largely it has a negative effect, just like users of alcohol and many other things etc.

All I know is that for me personally it has its use and virtues when contained in both its proper season and context, yet becomes a snare for me if I stray from that.