The lost Psalm 151 & Book of Mormon

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

The lost Psalm 151 & Book of Mormon

Post by Niemand »

I discussed the Book of Tobit here and some parallels to the Book of Mormon and New Testament (which may quote it)

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=63821

Psalm 151 is not found in western Bibles, including the Roman Catholic ones or the usual Apocrypha. It is only accepted as canonical by Orthodox churches. It is in the LXX/Septuagint but not Hebrew canon, however it has turned up in the Dead Sea scrolls in Hebrew. Some people also think it is two lost psalms combined.

It was supposedly written by David after killing Goliath.

This is the NRSV translation of Ps. 151:
1 I was small among my brothers,
and the youngest in my father’s house;
I tended my father’s sheep.
2 My hands made a harp;
my fingers fashioned a lyre.
3 And who will tell my Lord?
The Lord himself; it is he who hears [everything].
4 It was he who sent his messenger [angel]
and took me from my father’s sheep,
and anointed me with his anointing oil.
5 My brothers were handsome and tall,
but the Lord was not pleased with them.
6 I went out to meet the Philistine,
and he cursed me by his idols.
7 But I drew his own sword; I beheaded him,
and took away disgrace from the people of Israel.
As you can see there isn't a whole lot of new doctrine in this. The NSRV translator could have worked on his/her English style too.

First thing I notice here is the hidden meaning of how we should be like little children to overcome the giant problems which confront us:
Matthew 18: 3: And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.
3 Nephi 9.22: Therefore, whoso repenteth and cometh unto me as a little child, him will I receive, for of such is the kingdom of God. Behold, for such I have laid down my life, and have taken it up again; therefore repent, and come unto me ye ends of the earth, and be saved.
Revelation 21: 7 He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.
There is also a big parallel here to Nephi and his brothers and how they would bully and assault him.

Other points:
* Verse 3 - the Lord hears everything
* Verse 4 - anointing
* Verse 6 - idols, false gods
* Verse 7 - Beheading, as found in the Book of Judith and 1 Nephi 4:18
Therefore I did obey the voice of the Spirit, and took Laban by the hair of the head, and I smote off his head with his own sword.
While there is little new or fresh in the doctrine, it doesn't contradict the other scriptures in any way. The only issue I can see is that it appears to be combined from two psalms. Whether it was written by David is another matter.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: The lost Psalm 151 & Book of Mormon

Post by Niemand »

Link to discussion of Laodiceans
viewtopic.php?t=64025&p=1208281

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Latest Apocrypha:
1 Esdras
viewtopic.php?p=1343974

2 Esdras (the most relevant book in the Apocrypha?)
viewtopic.php?p=1344302

Bel and the Dragon viewtopic.php?t=69261

Prayer of Azarias and Hymn of the Three Children
viewtopic.php?p=1341609

Prayer of Mannases
viewtopic.php?t=69263

Apocryphal additions to Esther
viewtopic.php?p=1343414

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Book of Susanna
viewtopic.php?t=69386

Book of Judith
viewtopic.php?t=69402

Wisdom of Solomon
viewtopic.php?t=69469

The Book of Sirach, Ecclesiasticus, the NT, the BOM and the other Jesus
viewtopic.php?t=69412

Book of Baruch and the Epistle of Jeremy/Jeremiah
viewtopic.php?t=69433

1 Maccabees
viewtopic.php?t=69454

2 Maccabees, Nephi and prayers for the dead
viewtopic.php?p=1347024

3 Maccabees
viewtopic.php?t=69496

The Book of Odes - this is an Eastern Orthodox work of limited interest, but included for the sake of completeness.
viewtopic.php?t=69470
Last edited by Niemand on January 30th, 2023, 3:53 pm, edited 8 times in total.

TheChristian
captain of 100

Post by TheChristian »

Theres a psalm of David that is almost identical to a Hym of the Egyptian Pharoah Akhenaten whom believed in the one true God...
Psalm 104....

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

TheChristian wrote: January 24th, 2023, 1:49 pm Theres a psalm of David that is almost identical to a Hym of the Egyptian Pharoah Akhenaten whom believed in the one true God...
Psalm 104....
Yes I've heard this discussed and don't know what to make of it.

Akhenaten is a curious figure. I don't know what to make of him either.

TheChristian
captain of 100

Post by TheChristian »

As you know he believed in one God and rid Egypt of its numerous Gods, alas when his reign was over, the Pagan priests sought to eradicate his memory, no doubt much of his works, writings, beliefs to.

Heres a Hym of Akhenaten,

"God is Almighty; He is One.
There is none other than Him. He is one.
He is the creator of every being, a spirit God, an invisible spirit.
God existed in the beginning; He was the only being.
He was there when nothing was there.
He created everything. His eternal existence will continue forever. He is hidden; no one has seen him.
He always remains a secret to humans and His creations."

The above Hym is a very Mosiac description of the One God.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Latest Apocrypha
4 Maccabees
viewtopic.php?p=1348046
TheChristian wrote: January 25th, 2023, 6:44 am As you know he believed in one God and rid Egypt of its numerous Gods, alas when his reign was over, the Pagan priests sought to eradicate his memory, no doubt much of his works, writings, beliefs to.

Heres a Hym of Akhenaten,

"God is Almighty; He is One.
There is none other than Him. He is one.
He is the creator of every being, a spirit God, an invisible spirit.
God existed in the beginning; He was the only being.
He was there when nothing was there.
He created everything. His eternal existence will continue forever. He is hidden; no one has seen him.
He always remains a secret to humans and His creations."

The above Hym is a very Mosiac description of the One God.
Aye they hated him. I think it's the usual problem. People don't like losing their jobs. Even priests. They'll do anything to protect them.

I think Akhenaten was on the right track. I don't know if he got there. The LDS don't like the idea of a Divine Spirit, except maybe the Holy Ghost.

The Muslims say something like 20,000 prophets have been sent out to the world. Most of them are forgotten. I think there are a lot we don't know about.

Zoroaster's not a household name, but his religion once filled the Persian Empire. The only remnants now are a few folk like Freddie Mercury's family. I did a thread on whether Z. may have been a true prophet whose teachings have been distorted. (Most of Buddha's teachings were only taken down centuries later so maybe the original ones were closer to the gospel.)

viewtopic.php?t=65938

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Outside the Western and Eastern Orthodox Canon...

The Ethiopian canon. This includes brief info on the books of Sinodos, Ethiopian Clement, Ethiopian Covenant, and Didascalia as well as a list of other works in the canon.
viewtopic.php?t=69540

The Book of Jubilees aka Leptogenesis or Little Genesis
viewtopic.php?p=1348962

3 Corinthians (Armenian canon)
viewtopic.php?t=69567

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

I have discussed Psalm 151 a bit more on the post on four additional Apocryphal Psalms - 152, 153, 154, 155
viewtopic.php?p=1360712

Latest Apocrypha
Other works
The Shepherd of Hermas - inspired literature or pagan trash?
viewtopic.php?t=69650

The Epistle of Barnabas (NT Apocrypha) - link between OT and NT, or not?
viewtopic.php?t=69679

The Didache or Teachings of the Apostles
viewtopic.php?t=69698

The Gospel of Nicodemus or Acts of Pilate, as tested on Mennonites
viewtopic.php?t=69760

Ethiopian canon
The Book of Enoch
viewtopic.php?t=69577

1 Meqabyan (Ethiopian canon), another lost book?
viewtopic.php?t=69855

2 Meqabyan (Ethiopian canon) - the return of Tsirutsaydan
viewtopic.php?t=69971

And
Antilegomena: the books which barely made it into the Bible - Revelation, Esther, Song of Songs, James etc
viewtopic.php?p=1350652

Is Q canonical? How about the Gospel of Thomas? The answer's more complicated than you think.
viewtopic.php?t=69715

The LDS Bible Dictionary on Lost Books and non-canonical works referred to in the Bible.
viewtopic.php?t=69805

The Samaritans, their canon and its significance
viewtopic.php?t=69905

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Latest Apocrypha etc.
Underrated Bible stories #3: Habakkuk's Hair-raising Experience (from Bel & the Dragon in the KJV Apocrypha)
viewtopic.php?t=69509

The Testaments of the Twelve Patriarchs (Armenian canon): are these lost books by the founders of each Tribe of Israel or a later forgery?
viewtopic.php?t=71314

Ethiopian Canon...
3 Meqabyan (Ethiopian canon) a Question of Satan, another lost work?
viewtopic.php?t=70277

The First and Second Books of Adam and Eve (the Conflict with Satan)
viewtopic.php?t=70846

Other New Testament works
1 Clement: Papist propaganda or a window into the early church?
viewtopic.php?p=1368842

2 Clement: Inclement Gnosticism?
viewtopic.php?t=70327

The Three different Apocalypses of Peter: Guides to the universe or sadism? The ancient Apocalypse of Peter, the Arabic Apocalypse of Peter and the Nag Hammadi/Gnostic Text of the same name.
viewtopic.php?t=70682

A post on the Restored Branch, an English LDS microsect and its canon which includes works from the Nag Hammadi and Gnostic texts: these are the Gospel of Peter, the Gospel of Mary, the Gospel of Thomas, the Gospel of Phillip, the Gospel of Truth (sic), the Letter of the Apostle Paul, the Sophia (Wisdom) of Jesus the Christ, the Acts of Peter and the Twelve Apostles and the Letter of Peter which he sent to Philip.
viewtopic.php?t=70413

Celtic legends about the Bible, including the visits of Biblical figures to western Europe, the Michael Line, Holy Grail/Arthurian legend, and Pontius Pilate. Discusses the Lost Chapter of the Acts of the Apostles (the Sonnini Manuscript), Magna Tabula Glastonia, writings of Nicephorus, Leabhar Gabhala/Lebor Gabála Érenn (Book of Settlements), the Mabinogion etc.
viewtopic.php?t=71061

On other interrelated religions:
The Samaritans, their canon and its significance
viewtopic.php?t=69905

My thread about the Koran, and its use of figures from the Bible, the Apocrypha and extracanonical material. How useful a source is the Koran itself? Does it have any real extra information on Biblical figures? This is something of work in progress.
viewtopic.php?t=70169

Was Zoroaster/Zarathustra a lost prophet of God? Some surprising links between this largely forgotten figure and Judaism, plus the Gathas.
viewtopic.php?t=65938

My thread on a bizarre Middle Eastern sect and their beliefs. Are the Yezidis of the Middle East an ancient Satanist group or a lost Jewish tribe? And what is the connection between their religion and today's rainbow flag? Is this strange group simply misunderstood?
viewtopic.php?t=70625
Last edited by Niemand on June 20th, 2023, 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ymarsakar
captain of 1,000

Post by Ymarsakar »

Niemand wrote: January 24th, 2023, 6:23 pm
TheChristian wrote: January 24th, 2023, 1:49 pm Theres a psalm of David that is almost identical to a Hym of the Egyptian Pharoah Akhenaten whom believed in the one true God...
Psalm 104....
Yes I've heard this discussed and don't know what to make of it.

Akhenaten is a curious figure. I don't know what to make of him either.
Some say Mosiach's real egyptian name was akhenaten.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Latest Apocrypha etc
Will the real Book of Jasher please stand up? At least a dozen works are claimed to be the Book of Jasher, but did it ever exist in the first place?
viewtopic.php?p=1438746

The Book of Gad the Seer, a work referred to in the Old Testament which may have been preserved by a small group of Jews in India. Some of its content is stunning including references to a sacrificed lamb who is sent by God and the future tribulation.
viewtopic.php?t=71421

The Testaments of the Twelve Patriarchs: are these lost books of the founders of each Tribe of Israel or a later forgery?
viewtopic.php?t=71314

The Ascension of Isaiah, visions of Christ and Antichrist
viewtopic.php?t=71598

The Book of the Cock – an unfortunately named gospel still in current use in Ethiopia.
viewtopic.php?t=71338

The Epistle of Polycarp to the Philippians, an early endorsement of Paul or a forgery?
viewtopic.php?p=1400884

The Epistle of Mathetes to Diognetus - a beautiful short epistle about the relations of Christians and non-Christians, and the Tree of Knowledge
viewtopic.php?p=1404032

End Times Prophecy in Apocrypha/Pseudepigrapha: A guide
Includes discussions of 2 Esdras, (1) Enoch, Nicodemus, Ascension of Isaiah, Gad the Seer and the Shepherd of Hermas
viewtopic.php?t=71659

New Age Bibles: Urantia, Oahspe, Kolbrin, Oera Linda, Crowley's Book of the Law, a Course in Miracles etc. These works, usually channelled, provide a very different take on spirituality yet are strangely similar to one another. How should we approach these new works and are they just demonic?
viewtopic.php?p=1433133