Can someone please give a brief summary of Conference events

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Can someone please give a brief summary of Conference events

Post by Luke »

I didn't watch any, can someone please give me the rundown on what happened over the last few days. Thanks

John Tavner
captain of 1,000

Re: Can someone please give a brief summary of Conference events

Post by John Tavner »

Luke wrote: October 3rd, 2021, 4:55 pm I didn't watch any, can someone please give me the rundown on what happened over the last few days. Thanks

hehehe

LDS Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by LDS Watchman »

This about sums it up:

"And we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ"

BuriedTartaria
Captain of Tartary

Post by BuriedTartaria »

There was a major focus on protecting the SLC temple from earthquakes and that the temple needs to last a long time. It will be interesting if an earthquake happens and the temple doesn't stand. Or it'll be interesting if it survives an earthquake. I guess time will tell

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

Luke wrote: October 3rd, 2021, 4:55 pm I didn't watch any, can someone please give me the rundown on what happened over the last few days. Thanks
There's something like a 700+ response thread over this very thing.

Saturday Morning Session (minus Oaks' talk) was by far the best session. Elder Holland, the sister that followed him, and Elder Soares all had great talks.

Saturday Afternoon Session was all right but many here criticized Rasband's approach to the situation.

Saturday Evening Session featured Sister Eubank who talked about how great the Church's humanitarian projects have been over 150 nations, mentioning four examples. Said ideas would be repeated by a Presiding Bishopric member the following afternoon. This session was a little disjointed in my opinion.

Of the two Sunday sessions, the afternoon session was slightly better than the first session. Renlund went off about how the vaccines were safe and effective, but then afterwards, showed an example of loving our enemies with a story about the dedicated Finnish temple and how the Russians had the first session, which would be considered unthinkable as the Finns and Russians are virtually implacable enemies.

Anderson's talk in the afternoon session about the name of the Church was very nice.

13 temples announced, 4 in the United States (FW Texas, Cody Wyoming, second temple in Rexburg, Heber UT.)

The announced international temples were three in Africa (DR Congo, Liberia, Madagascar), and one each in the Phillipines, Taiwan, Mexico, Chile, Bolivia, and Brazil.

Best talks: Technical tie between Holland and Soares.

Worst talks: Oaks (Saturday Morning) and Rasband.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

brief summary

Post by BeNotDeceived »

BuriedTartaria wrote: October 3rd, 2021, 10:34 pm There was a major focus on protecting the SLC temple from earthquakes ..
Posting this pic here, as this timing pattern was only possible in 2020. This will cause it to again show on the first page via search.php?keywords=38ii

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

Tl;DR summary: Russell M. Nelson is the most quotable prophet in history.

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

Same as always...

They spoke in vague subtly so that TBM would say "Wow what a powerful meeting" and non believers would say "what is all the fuss about"

And left me both feeling inspired and scratching my head.

nephidentity
captain of 50

Post by nephidentity »

BuriedTartaria wrote: October 3rd, 2021, 10:34 pm There was a major focus on protecting the SLC temple from earthquakes
They wouldn't want a repeat performance of the sign from March 2020, which was given by means of an earthquake.

It's too late, ye drunkards of Ephraim. We all saw it.

JuneBug12000
captain of 1,000

Post by JuneBug12000 »

tribrac wrote: October 4th, 2021, 11:18 am Same as always...

They spoke in vague subtly so that TBM would say "Wow what a powerful meeting" and non believers would say "what is all the fuss about"

And left me both feeling inspired and scratching my head.
This is the real problem.
When I hear the Holy Spirit, He speaks pretty clearly.
When I listen to conference, I think "Well, that could be taken either way."

It is too late now, but maybe tomorrow I will give examples.

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

nephidentity wrote: October 4th, 2021, 9:23 pm
BuriedTartaria wrote: October 3rd, 2021, 10:34 pm There was a major focus on protecting the SLC temple from earthquakes
They wouldn't want a repeat performance of the sign from March 2020, which was given by means of an earthquake.

A 5.7 earthquake is not all that strong. Just where I live we have had in the past five years several 7's and an 8.

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

nephidentity wrote: October 4th, 2021, 9:23 pm

I find it interesting that weather or natuaral events were considered signs in early church history . so we get the miracle of the rivers rising, miracle of the ice, miracle of seaguls.

Even today we read ksl or church news stories of weather cooperating for a temple dedication or cultural celebration. Those are promoted as Gods favor shining upon us.

But lighting striking angel moroni at the Oquirrh Mt temple burning the trumpet and arm and an earthquake shaking the trumpet from his hand in SLC is just something that happens and we should not read anything else into it.