October 2021 General Conference Live Thread

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

October 2021 General Conference Live Thread

Post by Subcomandante »

Hello everyone!

It is currently 2:22 PM Mountain time as I write this, on Friday, October 1st.

General Conference is now less than 24 hours away. I am hereby starting this thread so that we all can discuss and analyze the upcoming conference. I also wanted to give 24 hours notice so that we can talk about things that we have been hearing in the news lately leading up to this conference.

Also, if someone has any temple predictions for the upcoming conference, let's have at it.

alurker
captain of 100

Re: October 2021 General Conference Live Thread

Post by alurker »

Subcomandante wrote: October 1st, 2021, 2:25 pm Hello everyone!

General Conference is now less than 24 hours away. I am hereby starting this thread so that we all can discuss and analyze the upcoming conference. I also wanted to give 24 hours notice so that we can talk about things that we have been hearing in the news lately leading up to this conference.

Also, if someone has any temple predictions for the upcoming conference, let's have at it.
Any notes from the Leadership portion of GC held yesterday and today?

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

I honestly don't feel like watching any at all. I have spiritually separated myself completely from the LDS ChurchCorp and have no intention of boring myself. At this point I get my conference news from LDSFF.

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

Last edited by Subcomandante on October 1st, 2021, 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

Luke wrote: October 1st, 2021, 2:30 pm I honestly don't feel like watching any at all. I have spiritually separated myself completely from the LDS ChurchCorp and have no intention of boring myself. At this point I get my conference news from LDSFF.
What better way than to come here then?

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

At risk of someone kicking off when I make a comment about conference, I might check out bits and pieces to see what's happening. But that should be about it.

alurker
captain of 100

Post by alurker »

Subcomandante wrote: October 1st, 2021, 2:30 pm
alurker wrote: October 1st, 2021, 2:30 pm

The Leadership portion is held before every April conference AFAIK
Something is being held yesterday and (presumably) today.
https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.or ... -seventies

Thursday’s leadership meeting was attended in person or virtually by some 300 General Authorities, General Officers and Area Seventies.

Sounds like a Leadership Conference to me

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

alurker wrote: October 1st, 2021, 2:30 pm

According to Church news, two new Area Seventies called, one out of Congo (Pointe Noire), the other out of Venezuela.

The Congoloese seventy is a CEO of what appears to be a trading company. The Venezuelan is a doctor.

https://www.thechurchnews.com/leaders-a ... nce-227164

I stand corrected.

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

Luke wrote: October 1st, 2021, 2:33 pm At risk of someone kicking off when I make a comment about conference, I might check out bits and pieces to see what's happening. But that should be about it.
Don't worry about me kicking off.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

Subcomandante wrote: October 1st, 2021, 2:35 pm
Luke wrote: October 1st, 2021, 2:33 pm At risk of someone kicking off when I make a comment about conference, I might check out bits and pieces to see what's happening. But that should be about it.
Don't worry about me kicking off.
I won't, but I just know that there will be a few who will.

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

It appears that there will be live music from the different choirs.

They will be performing at half capacity, with the Tabernacle Choir at Temple Square, with one half performing on Saturday morning and the other half on Sunday morning and afternoon.

Saturday afternoon's music will be presented by a multicultural choir and Saturday evening's music will be had by a BYU chorus.

https://www.thechurchnews.com/living-fa ... nce-227111

alurker
captain of 100

Post by alurker »

Subcomandante wrote: October 1st, 2021, 2:38 pm It appears that there will be live music from the different choirs.

They will be performing at half capacity, with the Tabernacle Choir at Temple Square, with one half performing on Saturday morning and the other half on Sunday morning and afternoon.

Saturday afternoon's music will be presented by a multicultural choir and Saturday evening's music will be had by a BYU chorus.

https://www.thechurchnews.com/living-fa ... nce-227111
You sure that won't be the BYU Gay Men's Choir?

How long until that happens, you think?

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

An informative exposé behind what goes behind every General Conference...

https://www.thechurchnews.com/podcast/2 ... nce-226794

JSmith
captain of 100

Post by JSmith »

I am really looking forward to this thread. I’m going to be traveling all day tomorrow and will not be able to catch any of the first session. Please let me know anything of interest that happens!

Maroriginal1
captain of 100

Post by Maroriginal1 »

Looks like it will be live streamed on you tube. That means no negative discussion on abortion, the vaccine, the government, or anything gay lest they get censored. So a whole lot of scriptures are off limits for conference now.

JSmith
captain of 100

Post by JSmith »

Maroriginal1 wrote: October 1st, 2021, 4:07 pm Looks like it will be live streamed on you tube. That means no negative discussion on abortion, the vaccine, the government, or anything gay lest they get censored. So a whole lot of scriptures are off limits for conference now.
Well of course, conference is now a public relations event. It is no longer about providing guidance for the Saints. It is about pushing the image. That is why they’re using full-time missionaries to make cutesy advertisements on social media.

The church is not going to do anything that might stir up controversy. And because they are risk adverse, they cannot possibly speak the entire truth.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

Luke wrote: October 1st, 2021, 2:30 pm I honestly don't feel like watching any at all. I have spiritually separated myself completely from the LDS ChurchCorp and have no intention of boring myself. At this point I get my conference news from LDSFF.
This will be the first Saturday session that I can ever remember where I won't be watching or listening. We have a great day planned with some heretic friends of ours. :)

Lykos
captain of 100

Post by Lykos »

- thursday leadership training meeting is part of the normal schedule

- streaming youtube has been happening for almost as long as streaming on YouTube as been around, people can probably red flag the account but it will probably get reviewed manually pretty quickly given the size of the audience

- only temple rumor I saw that actually had evidence was for a second temple north of rexburg

SPIRIT
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by SPIRIT »

"you do not yet realize your importance. You have only begun to discover your power.

Join us, and we will complete your training.

With our combined strength, we can end this destructive conflict
and bring order to the galaxy."

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

JSmith wrote: October 1st, 2021, 3:35 pm I am really looking forward to this thread. I’m going to be traveling all day tomorrow and will not be able to catch any of the first session. Please let me know anything of interest that happens!

[Bane voice] Of course!

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Gadianton Slayer »

Agreed. I’ll likely tune in for some of the Sunday sessions and just check this thread for anything else.

nephidentity
captain of 100

Post by nephidentity »

The Spirit made it clear to me a year ago, in the weeks leading up to Conference, that if I sat there watching it with my kids, listening to the lies and saying nothing, I would be under some degree of condemnation. So I go elsewhere. To the woods sometimes, or to a quiet room to study the scriptures they've rejected.

Say what?
captain of 100

Post by Say what? »

This thread is full of hate. It’s time to start a new thread. This thread should be for the hate and the other thread for just the random thoughts on conference.

SPIRIT
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by SPIRIT »

hate ?
more like truth.
The truth can be hard to swallow sometimes - when it's not what you believe and think it is.

“People say they love truth, but in reality they want to believe that which they love is true.”

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

Say what? wrote: October 2nd, 2021, 1:08 am This thread is full of hate. It’s time to start a new thread. This thread should be for the hate and the other thread for just the random thoughts on conference.
You do have your agency. Try pushing that “New Topic” button, it does wonders.