Hello from Scotland

Tell us about yourself...
Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Hello from Scotland

Post by Niemand »

I don't know really what to say other than I have been an LDS member for over twenty years... I have tried to keep track of a few of the things going on in the world, but am very alarmed by what I am seeing just now.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Hello from Scotland

Post by Robin Hood »

Niemand wrote: August 29th, 2021, 9:23 am I don't know really what to say other than I have been an LDS member for over twenty years... I have tried to keep track of a few of the things going on in the world, but am very alarmed by what I am seeing just now.
Greetings from North Yorkshire.
I served my mission is Scotland; whereabouts are you from?
There are four Scots on the forum, although two live in England, and one in Canada. There are a few English here too, so, as ever, we Brits are punching above our weight.
Great to have you on the forum and look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

Welcome fellow Brit

You'll have to come to our Brit-get-together soon, as soon as I'm over

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Luke wrote: August 29th, 2021, 9:46 am Welcome fellow Brit

You'll have to come to our Brit-get-together soon, as soon as I'm over
Yep, I'm still planning on this Luke.
Let me/us know when you're back and we'll organise a date and location.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Robin Hood wrote: August 29th, 2021, 9:44 am
Niemand wrote: August 29th, 2021, 9:23 am I don't know really what to say other than I have been an LDS member for over twenty years... I have tried to keep track of a few of the things going on in the world, but am very alarmed by what I am seeing just now.
There are four Scots on the forum, although two live in England, and one in Canada. There are a few English here too, so, as ever, we Brits are punching above our weight.
Thanks I'm in "Auld Reekie". I would be up for some UK related discussions.... things are looking very, very grim here. All our major parties seem to be supporting this current project - Tories in England, Labour in Wales, the SNP in Scotland and probably whoever is running Stormont these days. The Lib Dems seem to go whichever way the wind blows...

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Niemand wrote: August 29th, 2021, 9:52 am
Robin Hood wrote: August 29th, 2021, 9:44 am
Thanks I'm in "Auld Reekie". I would be up for some UK related discussions.... things are looking very, very grim here. All our major parties seem to be supporting this current project - Tories in England, Labour in Wales, the SNP in Scotland and probably whoever is running Stormont these days. The Lib Dems seem to go whichever way the wind blows...
I served there for several months of my mission. Love the place. We gather there for a reunion every three years. We usually use the mission home. Best mission home in the entire church.

Totally agree with you regarding the political agenda. The party is irrelevant. All different sides of the same coin. They give the appearance of being opposed to one another, but it's all an illusion.
They're what I call "opposames".
Prophecy being fulfilled before our very eyes.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Robin Hood wrote: August 29th, 2021, 10:00 am I served there for several months of my mission. Love the place. We gather there for a reunion every three years. We usually use the mission home. Best mission home in the entire church.

Totally agree with you regarding the political agenda. The party is irrelevant. All different sides of the same coin. They give the appearance of being opposed to one another, but it's all an illusion.
It's a great mission home. I've only been inside a few times, but it is one of the best houses in the area. I'm glad no one's tried to sell it!

Because of devolution, we have a:
* Boris Conservative, the "Conservative" who appoints a card carrying Communist - an open one - to SAGE. (Prof. Susan Michie), and who supports population control (see link). BoJo had already sired four children, and now has SEVEN by various women (possibly more given his reputation... part of a pattern, other like minded people include Bill Gates (4 children), Elon Musk (7 children))
https://www.boris-johnson.com/2007/10/2 ... n-control/

* Nicola Sturgeon, supposedly support Scottish independence, but has done little to fight for it, and has dragged us further and further into the worst aspects of the British state and globalism (the vaxpass). She's also been in direct contact with Bill Gates in 2018 and probably at other points.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/15901 ... mart-idea/

How's this for a caption competitoon:
Last edited by Niemand on August 29th, 2021, 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Welcome to our little neck of the woods. :P

England and thereabouts has been discussed here as being where the Book of Mormon took place. Scotland is mentioned plenty of times too. search.php?keywords=Scotland there’s a link where Scotland is mentioned 11 times to date. It would be great if you could weigh in.

Narrow necks, are fun. :mrgreen: dbnp

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

BeNotDeceived wrote: August 29th, 2021, 10:15 am

England and thereabouts has been discussed here as being where the Book of Mormon took place. Scotland is mentioned plenty of times too. search.php?keywords=Scotland there’s a link where Scotland is mentioned 11 times to date. It would be great if you could weigh in.

Ooh Scotland as England... let's not go there! Yes, the "narrow neck" thing is a kind of a meme in BoM discussions. I've seen the "narrow neck" located in Malaysia by someone.

"Narrow necks" are all over the place - NZ, Florida, Italy, Japan, even Antarctica!

I did have a brief look at it, the thread looks a bit long. I haven't heard of anyone saying that the BoM was set in Scotland, but the writer Comyns Beaumont suggested Edinburgh is the real Jerusalem!

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Niemand wrote: August 29th, 2021, 10:13 am
Robin Hood wrote: August 29th, 2021, 10:00 am I served there for several months of my mission. Love the place. We gather there for a reunion every three years. We usually use the mission home. Best mission home in the entire church.

It's a great mission home. I've only been inside a few times, but it is one of the best houses in the area. I'm glad no one's tried to sell it!

Because of devolution, we have a:
* Boris Conservative, the "Conservative" who appoints a card carrying Communist - an open one - to SAGE. (Prof. Susan Michie), and who supports population control (see link). BoJo had already sired four children, and now has SEVEN by various women (possibly more given his reputation... part of a pattern, other like minded people include Bill Gates (4 children), Elon Musk (7 children))
https://www.boris-johnson.com/2007/10/2 ... n-control/

* Nicola Sturgeon, supposedly support Scottish independence, but has done little to fight for it, and has dragged us further and further into the worst aspects of the British state and globalism (the vaxpass). She's also been in direct contact with Bill Gates in 2018 and probably at other points.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/15901 ... mart-idea/

How's this for a caption competitoon:
A previous mission president did try to sell it. He recommended it's sale to church HQ and they were going to go ahead and sell. Elder David B. Haight got wind of it, stopped the whole escapade, and said it would be sold over his dead body!
I was at the Usher Hall in 1980 when Elder Haight organised/re-organised the Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Paisley, Dundee and Aberdeen stakes.
He had sent a telegram to our mission president informing him of the upcoming creation of new stakes, and ended it with "the greatest day in Scotland since Bannockburn".

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Robin Hood wrote: August 29th, 2021, 10:24 am A previous mission president did try to sell it. He recommended it's sale to church HQ and they were going to go ahead and sell. Elder David B. Haight got wind of it, stopped the whole escapade, and said it would be sold over his dead body!
I was at the Usher Hall in 1980 when Elder Haight organised/re-organised the Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Paisley, Dundee and Aberdeen stakes.
He had sent a telegram to our mission president informing him of the upcoming creation of new stakes, and ended it with "the greatest day in Scotland since Bannockburn".
It's a bit out of the way of the city centre, but it is a good area, and has plenty of room. You couldn't get a place like that nowadays without vast sums of money. They were lucky to get it when they did. I was talking about this today... a guy actually donated the land.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Niemand wrote: August 29th, 2021, 10:28 am
Robin Hood wrote: August 29th, 2021, 10:24 am A previous mission president did try to sell it. He recommended it's sale to church HQ and they were going to go ahead and sell. Elder David B. Haight got wind of it, stopped the whole escapade, and said it would be sold over his dead body!
It's a bit out of the way of the city centre, but it is a good area, and has plenty of room. You couldn't get a place like that nowadays without vast sums of money. They were lucky to get it when they did. I was talking about this today... a guy actually donated the land.
The last time we were there was in 2017. We were due another reunion in 2020 but had to cancel because of you know what.
Had a great reunion in 2017 though. One of our missionary contemporaries was mission president at the time (Sonny Donaldson), so gave us a fantastic time and practically free run of the place.
We hope to be there again in 2022.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Robin Hood wrote: August 29th, 2021, 10:33 am Had a great reunion in 2017 though. One of our missionary contemporaries was mission president at the time (Sonny Donaldson), so gave us a fantastic time and practically free run of the place.
We hope to be there again in 2022.
President Donaldson was succeeded by President MacDonald... how's that for confusing? (Or was it the other way round?)

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Niemand wrote: August 29th, 2021, 10:21 am

Ooh Scotland as England... let's not go there! Yes, the "narrow neck" thing is a kind of a meme in BoM discussions. I've seen the "narrow neck" located in Malaysia by someone.

"Narrow necks" are all over the place - NZ, Florida, Italy, Japan, even Antarctica!

I did have a brief look at it, the thread looks a bit long. I haven't heard of anyone saying that the BoM was set in Scotland, but the writer Comyns Beaumont suggested Edinburgh is the real Jerusalem!
The Spirit told Mike to tell us about it. Another time Mike invited said Spirit to send a 7.3 magnitude earthquake, and one occurred the next week. The end-time servant is sometimes called the marred servant, and seems prophecy is being fulfilled by recent events. So it goes.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Welcome!
Many of us are alarmed too - this can be a good place to contrast some of the insanity out there.

Too bad we can’t hear each other - love Scottish accents!

abijah`
~dog days~

Post by abijah` »

Good luck up there with Humza and the SNP! Yur gunna need it

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

:arrow:
abijah` wrote: September 4th, 2021, 2:14 am Good luck up there with Humza and the SNP! Yur gunna need it
It's not even about the SNP, they're just the branch managers. If you look at the Conservatives in England or Labour in Wales, they're all carrying out the same programme.

A lot of what they do is very little to do with what the SNP was set up to do, although there has been an authoritarian element in it for a while. The grassroots and leadership have very different ideas. Humza isn't the main problem just now it's Sturgeon, in fact I'd say he is interchangeable. There was a very definite change in direction when she became leader, which includes stirring up gender wars and ignoring specific Scottish issues. She has also stabbed her former boss Salmond in the back over allegations which have been proven false.

Like Johnson, there is some evidence she was groomed for the role years before. She had her only little contingent in the SNP back in the nineties, so it was a long road to the top for her. As an SNP leader she is shocking. She has done practically nothing to forward independence, in fact she's brought Scotland under deeper British control with these vaccine passports etc. She also uses that phrase "global citizen" which seems to be a shibboleth for people who are onboard with this project. (She is small fry as world politics goes, but evidently she is there to contain Scottish nationalism.)

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Niemand wrote: September 4th, 2021, 2:30 am :arrow:
abijah` wrote: September 4th, 2021, 2:14 am Good luck up there with Humza and the SNP! Yur gunna need it
It's not even about the SNP, they're just the branch managers. If you look at the Conservatives in England or Labour in Wales, they're all carrying out the same programme.

A lot of what they do is very little to do with what the SNP was set up to do, although there has been an authoritarian element in it for a while. The grassroots and leadership have very different ideas. Humza isn't the main problem just now it's Sturgeon, in fact I'd say he is interchangeable. There was a very definite change in direction when she became leader, which includes stirring up gender wars and ignoring specific Scottish issues. She has also stabbed her former boss Salmond in the back over allegations which have been proven false.

Like Johnson, there is some evidence she was groomed for the role years before. She had her only little contingent in the SNP back in the nineties, so it was a long road to the top for her. As an SNP leader she is shocking. She has done practically nothing to forward independence, in fact she's brought Scotland under deeper British control with these vaccine passports etc. She also uses that phrase "global citizen" which seems to be a shibboleth for people who are onboard with this project. (She is small fry as world politics goes, but evidently she is there to contain Scottish nationalism.)
Yeah... something about her doesn't add up. With Salmond you got pretty much what you expected. He wasn't so up front with his anti-English grievances, he was more for Scotland than against England. At least that's how he came over. Sturgeon seems to continually try to stir up divisions wherever possible. I don't think she is serious about independence either.

She does get people's backs up here in England though. But most English people are completely indifferent to Scottish independence. They don't care one way or the other. It isn't a big issue for us.

simpleton
captain of 1,000

Post by simpleton »

BeNotDeceived wrote: August 29th, 2021, 5:52 pm
Niemand wrote: August 29th, 2021, 10:21 am

The Spirit told Mike to tell us about it. Another time Mike invited said Spirit to send a 7.3 magnitude earthquake, and one occurred the next week. The end-time servant is sometimes called the marred servant, and seems prophecy is being fulfilled by recent events. So it goes.
A reprobate spirit....

abijah`
~dog days~

Post by abijah` »

Niemand wrote: September 4th, 2021, 2:30 am It's not even about the SNP, they're just the branch managers. If you look at the Conservatives in England or Labour in Wales, they're all carrying out the same programme.

Yeah idk....

Sounds kinda racist if you ask me.
Last edited by abijah` on September 4th, 2021, 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XEmilyX
captain of 1,000

Post by XEmilyX »

Welcome! Do you wear kilts? Lol

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

XEmilyX wrote: September 4th, 2021, 4:20 pm Welcome! Do you wear kilts? Lol
Very rarely. I own a couple but they don't fit me these days!

One weird thingnis while many Christians wear kilts to church, especially to weddings, you'll hardly ever see them at LDS meetings.

HVDC
captain of 1,000

Post by HVDC »

abijah` wrote: September 4th, 2021, 4:04 pm
Niemand wrote: September 4th, 2021, 2:30 am It's not even about the SNP, they're just the branch managers. If you look at the Conservatives in England or Labour in Wales, they're all carrying out the same programme.

Yeah idk....

LOL.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RovF1zsDoeM

Sir H :roll:

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Robin Hood wrote: September 4th, 2021, 6:01 am
Niemand wrote: September 4th, 2021, 2:30 am :arrow:

Yeah... something about her doesn't add up. With Salmond you got pretty much what you expected. He wasn't so up front with his anti-English grievances, he was more for Scotland than against England. At least that's how he came over. Sturgeon seems to continually try to stir up divisions wherever possible. I don't think she is serious about independence either.

She does get people's backs up here in England though. But most English people are completely indifferent to Scottish independence. They don't care one way or the other. It isn't a big issue for us.
Without going too deep into this, I do think it's a simplification to say that independence support is anti-English. A signficant proportion of independence supporters in Scotland are either English or English born, for example. Another major factor is that the SNP are a ten penny item in a penny sale (or whatever the expression is)... their politicians are a lot more professional than most of Scottish Labour, Conservatives or Liberal Democrats, Labour kept ousting their more capable politicians, and the Tories and Lib Dems just collapsed.

As I say elsewhere, you get similar policies whoever you vote for out of them plus the Scottish Green Party. Tnere is pretty much a consensus among the five parties in Scotland on general issues such as abortion, healthcare, globalisation, gender/sexuality politics, transport, immigration levels, crime/policing and even defence. The SGP is bit more woke and anti-religion, and the Tories make occasional noises about farming and the military.

Nicola Sturgeon is a lot more of a machine politicoan. You could stick her in almost any party and not notice a huge difference. I think she's been in too long. She is more articulate than Johnson, but they're both dancing to the same tune when it comes to Covid.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

HVDC wrote: September 4th, 2021, 4:53 pm
abijah` wrote: September 4th, 2021, 4:04 pm

Yeah idk....

LOL.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RovF1zsDoeM

Sir H :roll:
Well, I got accused of being racist the other day when I asked how exactly a homeless white male is "privileged".