Business Ideas

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
Juliet
captain of 1,000

Business Ideas

Post by Juliet »

I would love it if we can support each other in building up businesses so we can support each other when the five major monopolies that own everything start to move us out.

Here are some of my ideas.... Please add to the list. If you are thinking of starting a home business let us know how we can support you.

Pick up free old furniture and restore it.

Make portable solar generators and sell them to customers.

Bakery with spelt natural yeast bread

Sell chicken eggs and goat's milk, put a few fountains in the pond and sell fish. Farm greasy beans by growing them with corn in the front hill. Harvest maple syrup.

Make a women's clothes line. Or quilting.

Make a mattress topper or camp pad with the same grid idea that purple mattress uses.

Sell homeschool curriculum based on what it needed for testing up through SATs

Make a recipe cook book with weekly shopping list.

Own horses and give horseback riding lessons and date night tours.

Music and piano lessons.

Get a degree as a band teacher and work in the jails forming bands and be the conductor

Make brick factories where anyone can come and work without a resume or job interview. Have a day care center on the side.

harakim
captain of 1,000

Re: Business Ideas

Post by harakim »

I'm not worried about clothing yet because it is so abundant and you can get it for free. I'm also not too worried about forging metal tools because they are abundant, we all hopefully have them, and they last a long time. The main necessities will be food, water, shelter, defense, hygiene/medical and entertainment. Supporting these will be education, communication and transportation. If you have a well, you're set on water. If you're near a body of water and have a filter like the berkey, you'd also be set. If you have a food storage, you are mostly set on food, but you will need dairy, oil and eggs, so those are good ideas. To be honest, you mostly don't need medical and if you do, it will probably be there for you. I go to the hospital about once a decade. If you can make alcohol, vinegar or ammonia, that would be cool. Other jobs would be lumber mill type jobs and construction, HAM radio operator, security or entertainer. Horseback riding could be useful for the transportation part, but it seems impractical for the time being.

I guess I'm thinking of a different angle than preparing for the SAT or selling date nights. I kind of feel like those will not be top of mind for non-vaxxed people come December.

Quetsilquatl
captain of 10

Post by Quetsilquatl »

I'm running an engineering R&D business. Some of my projects are public-facing and I need input before I invest time and capital.

One of those projects is a Goldback Scanner. There is a tiny niche market of people who are using these gold bills in leiu of the greenbacks.

Basically the Scanner quickly verifies the bill's gold contents. (Think of the speed of a vending machine).

Another one is a styrafoam recycling system. It requires a lot more resources than the first because I haven't run any tests, just performed academic research. The market is broader, so there's potential for high growth. And of course more competition.

Let me know if these peak anyone's interests.
Last edited by Quetsilquatl on September 10th, 2021, 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

Quetsilquatl wrote: September 10th, 2021, 10:19 am I'm running an engineering R&D business. Some of my projects are public-facing and I need input before I invest time and capital.

One of those projects is a Goldback Scanner. There is a tiny niche market of people who are using these gold bills in leiu of the greenbacks.

Basically the Scanner quickly verifies the bill's gold contents. (Think of the speed of a vending machine).

Another one is a styrafoam recycling system. It requires a lot more resources than the first because I've I haven't run any tests, just performed academic research. The market is broader, so there's potential for high growth. And of course more competition.

I don't plan on using goldbacks, but if I did, that would be a great investment.

What would you recycle the styrofoam into?

Quetsilquatl
captain of 10

Post by Quetsilquatl »

harakim wrote: September 10th, 2021, 12:02 pm
Quetsilquatl wrote: September 10th, 2021, 10:19 am I'm running an engineering R&D business. Some of my projects are public-facing and I need input before I invest time and capital.

Another one is a styrafoam recycling system. It requires a lot more resources than the first because I've I haven't run any tests, just performed academic research. The market is broader, so there's potential for high growth. And of course more competition.

I don't plan on using goldbacks, but if I did, that would be a great investment.

I don't blame you. All I've gotten is silence about the Scanner. I even did research on how to create forgeries and how to protect against them by applying an encrypted leger with the gold. Again, silence. So I shelved the project.

Ultamately, it would become chicken feed (possibly fish food too). Biggest R&D costs would involve making sure the chickens are healthy over their life-span with the new feed. Like I said it would resource-intensive.

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

Quetsilquatl wrote: September 10th, 2021, 12:33 pm

I don't blame you. All I've gotten is silence about the Scanner. I even did research on how to create forgeries and how to protect against them by applying an encrypted leger with the gold. Again, silence. So I shelved the project.

Ultamately, it would become chicken feed (possibly fish food too). Biggest R&D costs would involve making sure the chickens are healthy over their life-span with the new feed. Like I said it would resource-intensive.
I don't think I would feed my chickens styrofoam.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

I have some plans....

- Dust off my teaching certificate and do some online tutoring. I have a BS in mathematics, I can teach up through calculus.

- I also play a lot of musical instruments: piano (been playing for 43 years - classical, jazz, showtunes, etc.), accordion, ukulele, saxophone, flute. I can teach each of these instruments.

- go back to contracting: network cable installations, from 1 - 400 jacks. I'm a certified commercial low voltage technician.

- looking into getting my residential construction license - it's just a test in my state. Then I can do home repairs - insulation, roofing, add-ons, flooring, walls, etc.

- I can also fix cars / lawnmowers, etc; and weld.

- I have a sawmill. A guy I know sells slabs for fireplace mantels, buys broken down bobcats and fixes them, and owns a rental home. That's his business, and he makes good money. Maybe I'll talk him into building log cabins with me....

- I've always planned on building furniture in my shop (when I get it built) - I love making doors, and tables / coffee tables / etc:

- And I have an etsy shop for my knitting patterns - just 3 patterns so far, but I'm adding as I perfect the items - socks are going to be on there soon...: https://www.etsy.com/shop/MudflapCrafts ... =944261368

Quetsilquatl
captain of 10

Post by Quetsilquatl »

harakim wrote: September 10th, 2021, 1:00 pm

I don't think I would feed my chickens styrofoam.
Me niether, that would probably kill them. Styrafoam is toxic to most life.

The styrofoam can be converted into feed through a series of processes. The plan is to recycle, not reuse it. Maybe I should use the word convert?

FreedomJess
captain of 100

Post by FreedomJess »

Juliet wrote: August 13th, 2021, 3:46 pm I would love it if we can support each other in building up businesses so we can support each other when the five major monopolies that own everything start to move us out.

Here are some of my ideas.... Please add to the list. If you are thinking of starting a home business let us know how we can support you.

Sell chicken eggs and goat's milk, put a few fountains in the pond and sell fish. Farm greasy beans by growing them with corn in the front hill. Harvest maple syrup.

Make a mattress topper or camp pad with the same grid idea that purple mattress uses.

Music and piano lessons.

Get a degree as a band teacher and work in the jails forming bands and be the conductor

Make brick factories where anyone can come and work without a resume or job interview. Have a day care center on the side.
I love the thought put into this list. Some great ideas.
I do think one way to win the war we are in Is to stop supporting big corporations.
The enemy’s plan (among other things) was to desolate small businesses with Covid. But they failed. If they can have us dependent on big Corp (working for them, buying from them) they will control us.
I never realized how important the slogan “Buy Local” meant until recently.
My hardest obstacle to overcome as I try to live by what I preach, is to cut Amazon out of my life. That 2 day shipping has so many of us hooked. But it was all part of the plan. Was Amazon a puppet of the bad guys so that they could get rid of the small guys? I believe so.

All that being said, I am opening a small shop in my downtown. It’ll be ready hopefully by the end of the year. I do hand-dipped chocolates and currently sell locally and online. But I will have other food options in my shop. I’ve just known for a long time that this is something I need to do. So ready or not, here I go. Haha.
I think now is a great time for everyone to find their talents and use them. Live simpler. Surround ourselves with like-minded people.

Also: Gab has a board on their site where employers and employees who are not enforcing tyrannical mandates can find each other. FYI.

FreedomJess
captain of 100

Post by FreedomJess »

mudflap wrote: September 10th, 2021, 1:23 pm I have some plans....

- Dust off my teaching certificate and do some online tutoring. I have a BS in mathematics, I can teach up through calculus.

- I also play a lot of musical instruments: piano (been playing for 43 years - classical, jazz, showtunes, etc.), accordion, ukulele, saxophone, flute. I can teach each of these instruments.

- go back to contracting: network cable installations, from 1 - 400 jacks. I'm a certified commercial low voltage technician.

- looking into getting my residential construction license - it's just a test in my state. Then I can do home repairs - insulation, roofing, add-ons, flooring, walls, etc.

- I can also fix cars / lawnmowers, etc; and weld.

- I have a sawmill. A guy I know sells slabs for fireplace mantels, buys broken down bobcats and fixes them, and owns a rental home. That's his business, and he makes good money. Maybe I'll talk him into building log cabins with me....

- I've always planned on building furniture in my shop (when I get it built) - I love making doors, and tables / coffee tables / etc:

- And I have an etsy shop for my knitting patterns - just 3 patterns so far, but I'm adding as I perfect the items - socks are going to be on there soon...: https://www.etsy.com/shop/MudflapCrafts ... =944261368
I love the fingerless mittens in your shop! And the cabin door is beautiful. Great job.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

FreedomJess wrote: September 10th, 2021, 1:39 pm
Juliet wrote: August 13th, 2021, 3:46 pm I would love it if we can support each other in building up businesses so we can support each other when the five major monopolies that own everything start to move us out.

Music and piano lessons.

I do think one way to win the war we are in Is to stop supporting big corporations.
The enemy’s plan (among other things) was to desolate small businesses with Covid. But they failed. If they can have us dependent on big Corp (working for them, buying from them) they will control us.
My hardest obstacle to overcome as I try to live by what I preach, is to cut Amazon out of my life. That 2 day shipping has so many of us hooked. But it was all part of the plan. Was Amazon a puppet of the bad guys so that they could get rid of the small guys? I believe so.

All that being said, I am opening a small shop in my downtown. It’ll be ready hopefully by the end of the year. I do hand-dipped chocolates and currently sell locally and online. But I will have other food options in my shop. I’ve just known for a long time that this is something I need to do. So ready or not, here I go. Haha.
I think now is a great time for everyone to find their talents and use them. Live simpler. Surround ourselves with like-minded people.

Also: Gab has a board on their site where employers and employees who are not enforcing tyrannical mandates can find each other. FYI.
agreed, 100%. thanks for the Gab tip, I'll look at that.

I have a motto: "you never get rich working for somebody else". Everyone should shop as locally as they can.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

harakim wrote: August 16th, 2021, 2:48 am I'm not worried about clothing yet because it is so abundant and you can get it for free. I'm also not too worried about forging metal tools because they are abundant, we all hopefully have them, and they last a long time. The main necessities will be food, water, shelter, defense, hygiene/medical and entertainment. Supporting these will be education, communication and transportation. If you have a well, you're set on water. If you're near a body of water and have a filter like the berkey, you'd also be set. If you have a food storage, you are mostly set on food, but you will need dairy, oil and eggs, so those are good ideas. To be honest, you mostly don't need medical and if you do, it will probably be there for you. I go to the hospital about once a decade. If you can make alcohol, vinegar or ammonia, that would be cool. Other jobs would be lumber mill type jobs and construction, HAM radio operator, security or entertainer. Horseback riding could be useful for the transportation part, but it seems impractical for the time being.

I guess I'm thinking of a different angle than preparing for the SAT or selling date nights. I kind of feel like those will not be top of mind for non-vaxxed people come December.
I know the food storage reliance topic is usually placed as a priority...but I would suggest "food production" is also important...

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Charcoal burning (earth clamp or ring kiln).
Wattle hurdles.

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

Jason wrote: September 10th, 2021, 2:32 pm
harakim wrote: August 16th, 2021, 2:48 am I'm not worried about clothing yet because it is so abundant and you can get it for free. I'm also not too worried about forging metal tools because they are abundant, we all hopefully have them, and they last a long time. The main necessities will be food, water, shelter, defense, hygiene/medical and entertainment. Supporting these will be education, communication and transportation. If you have a well, you're set on water. If you're near a body of water and have a filter like the berkey, you'd also be set. If you have a food storage, you are mostly set on food, but you will need dairy, oil and eggs, so those are good ideas. To be honest, you mostly don't need medical and if you do, it will probably be there for you. I go to the hospital about once a decade. If you can make alcohol, vinegar or ammonia, that would be cool. Other jobs would be lumber mill type jobs and construction, HAM radio operator, security or entertainer. Horseback riding could be useful for the transportation part, but it seems impractical for the time being.

I know the food storage reliance topic is usually placed as a priority...but I would suggest "food production" is also important...
Our Earth provides most of what we need on its own, but I agree it is important. It would be good to save some seeds or something like that. I would suspect gardens will be raided in the nearish term and so you couldn't count on it for survival. In the longer term, it will be necessary.

Quetsilquatl
captain of 10

Post by Quetsilquatl »

Music and piano lessons.

Consider accepting silver and possibly GoldBacks at your business. You could get your store promoted by like-minded individuals for free. Let me know if that feels like a fit for you.

Dollars and dollar-denominated debt are the biggest American products we are accustomed to.

I have no qualms with Amazon. I've heard of a lot of positive experiences from small business owners who work with Amazon. It's going to be hard for them to retain a profit and not raise prices or start changing shipping costs though.

Quetsilquatl
captain of 10

Post by Quetsilquatl »

Which is why I suggested my styrofoam recycling into chicken feed idea. Maybe I should make the research free open source?

Still would need comminity support though.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

you know....thinking about something as simple as a nail - can you make your own nails? no, they require some pretty specialized equipment. But imagine, during the coming shortage, that your roof blows off and you need a lot of nails to put a new one on - that's going to be something that's hard to come by. Our ancestors had the same problem - so they used wooden pegs and rawhide. I get the feeling that what we ought to look at is life in 1880 to get an idea on how we should prepare. with a little steam punk thrown in. :)

But yeah - growing your own, storing it, saving enough seeds to do it all over again next year - would be a great skill to have.

~ternal-tummim
captain of 1,000

Post by ~ternal-tummim »

The Goldback scanner sounds cool. The Goldbacks are an existing product, I take it?

Quetsilquatl
captain of 10

Post by Quetsilquatl »

~ternal-tummim wrote: September 10th, 2021, 9:10 pm

The Goldback scanner sounds cool. The Goldbacks are an existing product, I take it?
Yes.
Here is their website:
https://goldback.com/

Premiums above spot are very high, but you get them for the convenience. If you buy them please consider going through United Precious Metals Association:
https://upma.org/

If you want to verify the gold content, you will need a third party with an XRF machine which is why I developed the scanner.

Quetsilquatl
captain of 10

Post by Quetsilquatl »

Robin Hood wrote: September 10th, 2021, 3:02 pm Charcoal burning (earth clamp or ring kiln).
Wattle hurdles.
Is hardwood easily accessible in your area?
Only asking because western states would need to import it. Could be a viable alternative heat source to natural gas and oil in the short run.

Maybe someone could come up with some hydrogen or methane heating products? They are common by-products in many manufacturing processes.

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

mudflap wrote: September 10th, 2021, 9:00 pm you know....thinking about something as simple as a nail - can you make your own nails? no, they require some pretty specialized equipment. But imagine, during the coming shortage, that your roof blows off and you need a lot of nails to put a new one on - that's going to be something that's hard to come by. Our ancestors had the same problem - so they used wooden pegs and rawhide. I get the feeling that what we ought to look at is life in 1880 to get an idea on how we should prepare. with a little steam punk thrown in. :)

But yeah - growing your own, storing it, saving enough seeds to do it all over again next year - would be a great skill to have.
I agree with this. It's hard to be a surgeon when you don't have anesthesia, it's hard to have anesthesia without machinery, it's hard to have machinery without metal alloys, etc. The more layers you are from the bottom, the harder it may be to do your profession in the times to come.

Quetsilquatl
captain of 10

Post by Quetsilquatl »

harakim wrote: September 11th, 2021, 5:40 pm
mudflap wrote: September 10th, 2021, 9:00 pm you know....thinking about something as simple as a nail - can you make your own nails? no, they require some pretty specialized equipment. But imagine, during the coming shortage, that your roof blows off and you need a lot of nails to put a new one on - that's going to be something that's hard to come by. Our ancestors had the same problem - so they used wooden pegs and rawhide. I get the feeling that what we ought to look at is life in 1880 to get an idea on how we should prepare. with a little steam punk thrown in. :)

I agree with this. It's hard to be a surgeon when you don't have anesthesia, it's hard to have anesthesia without machinery, it's hard to have machinery without metal alloys, etc. The more layers you are from the bottom, the harder it may be to do your profession in the times to come.
Let's start by taking small bites.
Many products are very resource-intensive to start up.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

harakim wrote: September 10th, 2021, 4:22 pm

Our Earth provides most of what we need on its own, but I agree it is important. It would be good to save some seeds or something like that. I would suspect gardens will be raided in the nearish term and so you couldn't count on it for survival. In the longer term, it will be necessary.
...as soon as the semi's stop rolling...you have 2 weeks at best to out survive the masses...most wouldn't know what to do with garden produce if they had it...

...that is where a distribution network similar to what Bountiful Baskets has done for well over a decade would be most useful...people notified 20-30 minutes before arrival at a useful location...distribute food in 20-30 minutes...and everyone is gone...

...that said...years ago at a Stake Conference Saturday evening session Elder Packer (lived couple miles down Highland Dr) was asked why the members needed to store food when it could be stored at the church building (central location within a short walking distance - block or so)...Elder Packer replied that they wouldn't be able to access it...

...as a block captain at the time for our little neck of the woods I thought long and hard on that comment...the possible scenarios that would be involved to necessitate that sort of issue...I ruled out earthquakes (fault line just up the hill from us a 1/2 mile or so)...along with most other scenarios...

...the one I settled on was plague and quarantine - martial law...that would prevent folks from walking a block or so to the church for food...others might arrive at something different...but that was where I landed...particularly when taken in conjunction with other commentary like the Cleon Skousen and President Hinkley discussion...

viewtopic.php?p=1177902#p1177902

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

Jason wrote: September 13th, 2021, 11:19 am
harakim wrote: September 10th, 2021, 4:22 pm

...as soon as the semi's stop rolling...you have 2 weeks at best to out survive the masses...most wouldn't know what to do with garden produce if they had it...

...that is where a distribution network similar to what Bountiful Baskets has done for well over a decade would be most useful...people notified 20-30 minutes before arrival at a useful location...distribute food in 20-30 minutes...and everyone is gone...

...that said...years ago at a Stake Conference Saturday evening session Elder Packer (lived couple miles down Highland Dr) was asked why the members needed to store food when it could be stored at the church building (central location within a short walking distance - block or so)...Elder Packer replied that they wouldn't be able to access it...

...as a block captain at the time for our little neck of the woods I thought long and hard on that comment...the possible scenarios that would be involved to necessitate that sort of issue...I ruled out earthquakes (fault line just up the hill from us a 1/2 mile or so)...along with most other scenarios...

...the one I settled on was plague and quarantine - martial law...that would prevent folks from walking a block or so to the church for food...others might arrive at something different...but that was where I landed...particularly when taken in conjunction with other commentary like the Cleon Skousen and President Hinkley discussion...

viewtopic.php?p=1177902#p1177902
Quarantine might work in a city, but it won't work in a rural area.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

I signed up for Gab - where are all the Mormons over there? lol. I found a group on gab called "Ex-mormons for Jesus". sheesh - those guys are everywhere, aren't they?

Maybe I'll start a group....

my username: sambucus