Condemnation due to neglecting a major theme of Book of Mormon: Secret Combinations?

For discussion of secret combinations (political, economic, spiritual, religious, etc.) (Ether 8:18-25.)
larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Condemnation due to neglecting a major theme of Book of Mormon: Secret Combinations?

Post by larsenb »

It's occurred to me that some of the rather disturbing directions we are seeing in the Church may be directly due to the fact that we (generally speaking, both members and leadership), have largely neglected one of the main messages, warnings and themes of the Book of Mormon; a message that could be placed in perhaps its top 3 messages and themes overall; namely that of Secret Combinations. If we are under condemnation for our neglect of the Book of Mormon, perhaps we still are because of our neglect of this major warning theme?

So the idea, isn't that we are neglecting the Book of Mormon, per se. Most of us have probably read it multiple times, and even taken to heart its main message as a testament of Jesus Christ, etc.

But what have we heard in recent decades about the dangers of secret combinations in our day, of which, Moroni emphatically warned us to be on the watch for and to guard against? Almost nothing.

The last thing I remember coming from the pulpit regarding high-level secret combinations, the type that could overthrow our country, came from Pres. Benson's I Testify Talk, Fall Conf. of 1988, which has been trotted out countless times on this forum. (see: https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... y?lang=eng )

This idea is almost entirely neglected in our modern day theological discourse coming from the pulpit or in the awareness of the general membership. But it was a constant theme of Elder Benson, brought up one last time during his Presidency in his talk cited above; though entirely absent in President Benson's volume of The Teachings of the Presidents of the Church series.

Is this neglect the source of our present "condemnation", where we are seeing the very agendas of what many see as secret combinations being supported by our leadership? It makes sense. You are much more apt to be seduced by their agendas (many of which sound good on their face), if you deny or have blinders on, regarding their existence.
Last edited by larsenb on July 26th, 2021, 1:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Condemnation due to neglecting a major theme of Book of Mormn: Secret Combiniations?

Post by Gadianton Slayer »

Define “combiniation” 😉

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Condemnation due to neglecting a major theme of Book of Mormn: Secret Combiniations?

Post by larsenb »

Gadianton Slayer wrote: July 25th, 2021, 2:11 pm Define “combiniation” 😉
Always nice to produce a thread title w/out typos :D

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Condemnation due to neglecting a major theme of Book of Mormn: Secret Combinations?

Post by larsenb »

I.e., the condemnation and seemingly off-track scenarios we are seeing lately may be due to simply putting blinders on about this theme, not because of what Wilford Woodruff may have done or said, or not done and not said, etc.

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Condemnation due to neglecting a major theme of Book of Mormn: Secret Combinations?

I think much more has been neglected than just secret combinations in the BoM.

It also speaks of pride, grinding the faces of the poor, building fine sanctuaries, teaches to obey a man only if his precepts are given by the HG, and condemns all churches in the last days.

Specifically the combinations... I don’t think it’s blinders. But I won’t elaborate much more on that here. “Covenant with the Devil” thread holds at least part of my opinion.
Last edited by Gadianton Slayer on July 25th, 2021, 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

larsenb wrote: July 25th, 2021, 2:14 pm
Sorry for tooting the horn again, but “the” Book of “Mormn” 😂

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

larsenb wrote: July 25th, 2021, 2:17 pm I.e., the condemnation and seemingly off-track scenarios we are seeing lately may be due to simply putting blinders on about this theme, not because of what Wilford Woodruff may have done or said, or not done and not said, etc.
Absolutely possible that it's taken place as you describe

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

Gadianton Slayer wrote: July 25th, 2021, 2:18 pm
larsenb wrote: July 25th, 2021, 2:14 pm
Sorry for tooting the horn again, but “the” Book of “Mormn” 😂
Good grief! I had the main piece written up a day ago, but just added the title. Back to bed for more sleep :?

cab
captain of 1,000
Location: ♫ I am a Mormon! ♫ And... dang it... a Mormon just believes! ♫

Re: Condemnation due to neglecting a major theme of Book of Mormon: Secret Combinations?

Post by cab »

larsenb wrote: July 25th, 2021, 2:08 pm It's occurred to me that some of the rather disturbing directions we are seeing in the Church may be directly due to the fact that we (generally speaking, both members and leadership), have largely neglected one of the main messages, warnings and themes of the Book of Mormon; a message that could be placed in perhaps its top 3 messages and themes overall; namely that of Secret Combinations. If we are under condemnation for our neglect of the Book of Mormon, perhaps we still are because of our neglect of this major warning theme?

So the idea, isn't that we are neglecting the Book of Mormon, per se. Most of us have probably read it multiple times, and even taken to heart its main message as a testament of Jesus Christ, etc.

But what have we heard in recent decades about the dangers of secret combinations in our day, of which, Moroni emphatically warned us to be on the watch for and to guard against? Almost nothing.

The last thing I remember coming from the pulpit regarding high-level secret combinations, the type that could overthrow our country, came from Pres. Benson's I Testify Talk, Fall Conf. of 1988, which has been trotted out countless times on this forum. (see: https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... y?lang=eng )

This idea is almost entirely neglected in our modern day theological discourse coming from the pulpit or in the awareness of the general membership. But it was a constant theme of Elder Benson, brought up one last time during his Presidency in his talk cited above; though entirely absent in President Benson's volume of The Teachings of the Presidents of the Church series.

Is this neglect the source of our present "condemnation", where we are seeing the very agendas of what many see as secret combinations being supported by our leadership? It makes sense. You are much more apt to be seduced by their agendas (many of which sound good on their face), if you deny or put blinders on, regarding their existence.

I don’t believe our condemnation is for taking the Book of Mormon lightly.

Rather I believe our condemnation is for rejecting New Covenant contained within the Book of Mormon (aka the doctrine of Christ). This is because we have not sought to fully submit to the Lord with a broken heart and contrite spirit, that he might baptize us with fire and with the Holy Ghost. We were to seek his face, and come to the mount, like the children of Israel were beckoned to by Moses - but we chose to stay behind and be led by men.

Our lack of awareness of the secret combinations that have gotten hold of us is simply a symptom of the darkness that covers our eyes - from top to bottom within the church.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Condemnation due to neglecting a major theme of Book of Mormon: Secret Combinations?

Post by larsenb »

cab wrote: July 25th, 2021, 3:09 pm . . . . I don’t believe our condemnation is for taking the Book of Mormon lightly.

Rather I believe our condemnation is for rejecting New Covenant contained within the Book of Mormon (aka the doctrine of Christ). This is because we have not sought to fully submit to the Lord with a broken heart and contrite spirit, that he might baptize us with fire and with the Holy Ghost. We were to seek his face, and come to the mount, like the children of Israel were beckoned to by Moses - but we chose to stay behind and be led by men.

Our lack of awareness of the secret combinations that have gotten hold of us is simply a symptom of the darkness that covers our eyes - from top to bottom within the church.
Really tough to quantify your proposition; or even semi-quantify it. The Lord can do it, but we don't have that ability. Certainly that may be part of it, and one can have an opinion along these lines.

But all I'm saying is that Secret Combinations are one of the top 3 themes of the Book of Mormon. And I think its safe to say that this topic and theme, in terms of a real threat to our nation, has been roundly ignored since Benson. That proposition is fairly quantifiable.

At the same time, currently, we seem to be blind-sided by the feel-good or fear-laden presentations of a lot of the 'Latter Day Gadianton' agendas. So there is a good argument that this has happened due to our neglect of the subject of the very real, overarching dangers coming from these groups. That being the possible case, one could say that we may not be under condemnation directly, but by our own neglect of these warnings in the Book of Mormon. More of a self-condemnation . . . which the Lord allows.

Perhaps for learning purposes . . . .

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

Websters Dictionary 1828 - Webster's Dictionary 1828 - Combination

COMBINATION, noun

1. Intimate union, or association of two or more persons or things, by set purpose or agreement, for effecting some object, by joint operation; in a good sense, when the object is laudable; in an ill sense, when it is illegal or iniquitous. It is sometimes equivalent to league, or to conspiracy. We say, a combination of men to overthrow government, or a combination to resist oppression.

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

mes5464 wrote: July 25th, 2021, 6:10 pm

COMBINATION, noun

1. Intimate union, or association of two or more persons or things, by set purpose or agreement, for effecting some object, by joint operation; in a good sense, when the object is laudable; in an ill sense, when it is illegal or iniquitous. It is sometimes equivalent to league, or to conspiracy. We say, a combination of men to overthrow government, or a combination to resist oppression.
I was joking about the misspell lol.

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

Gadianton Slayer wrote: July 25th, 2021, 6:11 pm
mes5464 wrote: July 25th, 2021, 6:10 pm

COMBINATION, noun

I was joking about the misspell lol.
Sorry. My bad.

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

Many of the (semi)awake TBM think the church is 🙊 because fear of retribution. They tell themselves this lie because it helps them sleep at night...it's like Vicks rub to them. They believe the church will suddenly stand for liberty at the last moment.

The average TBM doesn't believe the Gads are in power because the 15 aren't telling them of it. And even if the Gads are in control, it's not important enough to think about because their Guides are silent on the subject.

The 15 are eating the fat. They only go where they are loved. They are probably good dudes , but they live in a fabrication. This is why Mormon leaders have ridden the wave of social trends since the early 1900s. It's part of man's subconscious nature to keep eating the spiritual energy (fat) of the people they lead and to not stir the pot which will cause division...

We worship the past and future. It's impossible to see the present when your religion revolves around what has already happened and what will happen in the future. The EVENTS...the human event of experiencing the Fire and Holy Ghost, the event of Waking to the Awful Situation, etc. are shunned because they speak of the NOW.

And the "now" sheds light on what we are not.

"Hush 🤫 , it's okay....we will be a complete Zion when God wants us to be, it the Lord's timing. We will be perfected in Christ when we cross the other side, do not fear nor tremble. Go back to sleep 😴, all is well in Zion, Zion prospers. Just look at their investments bearing fruit, look at all these temples!! The prophet told you that we've never been stronger as a people. Hush hush little lion, go back to sleep. "

InfoWarrior82
Level 34 Illuminated
Location: "There are 15 on the earth today, you can trust them completely." -President Nelson (Jan 2022)

Post by InfoWarrior82 »

In my opinion, the ignoring of something of such a huge importance can only be because of the absence of literal communication with Christ Himself. It seems odd to me that the Lord would appear and literally speak to them about where to build a temple and what age a missionary can now serve, but fail to mention secret combinations seeking to ruin the church. Something happened between the Lord and President Woodruff when he died. Something.

If you want spoilers on what that was, read below, if not, look away:

The cessation of literal word-for-word revelation. A revelation that is written down on a piece of paper by a prophet in first person narration by the Lord Almighty Jesus Christ.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

"Wherefore, the Lord commandeth you, that when ye shall see these things come among you that ye shall awake to a sense of your awful situation, because of this secret combination which shall be among you;..."

The Lord has tasked us with learning all we can about the secret combinations mentioned in scriptures and by latter-day prophets, and doing all we can to make things right...since it is only thru us, His children, that He does his work here on earth. I believe that to avoid retribution the Church authorities have been very discrete and cautious to not publicly name names, etc., as to do so would surely provoke retribution. Other than recommending certain books like "None Dare Call it Conspiracy", "The Naked Communist", "Prophets, Principles, and National Survival", and "The Elders of Israel and the Constitution" I am not aware of any naming of names of conspirators engaged in destroying the freedom of all lands, nations, and countries.

It seems to me that most Latter-day Saints who are at all aware of these warnings do not know where to turn to begin learning more about the secret combinations and opposing their machinations. But it seems to me that asking God in prayer would be a good place to start.

cab
captain of 1,000

Post by cab »

lundbaek wrote: July 25th, 2021, 10:16 pm "Wherefore, the Lord commandeth you, that when ye shall see these things come among you that ye shall awake to a sense of your awful situation, because of this secret combination which shall be among you;..."

The Lord has tasked us with learning all we can about the secret combinations mentioned in scriptures and by latter-day prophets, and doing all we can to make things right...since it is only thru us, His children, that He does his work here on earth. I believe that to avoid retribution the Church authorities have been very discrete and cautious to not publicly name names, etc., as to do so would surely provoke retribution. Other than recommending certain books like "None Dare Call it Conspiracy", "The Naked Communist", "Prophets, Principles, and National Survival", and "The Elders of Israel and the Constitution" I am not aware of any naming of names of conspirators engaged in destroying the freedom of all lands, nations, and countries.

It seems to me that most Latter-day Saints who are at all aware of these warnings do not know where to turn to begin learning more about the secret combinations and opposing their machinations. But it seems to me that asking God in prayer would be a good place to start.

I suspect that our need to awaken to our awful situation is threefold:

1. That there is indeed a monolithic and ruthless Luciferian conspiracy that has seized control of all free nations, including this great Gentile nation on the land of promise, and that nothing short of the Lord’s hand can deliver us from it.

2. That the holy church of God that was to be set up among the nations of the Gentiles has become polluted and lapsed into apostasy.

3. That without the mighty change accompanying the baptism of fire and of the Holy Ghost we remain in our carnal state, unredeemed and unsaved. This includes millions of LDS who are constantly reassured that they are on “the covenant path”, despite the lack of experiencing this mighty spiritual event detailed so plainly in the scriptures. These must “awaken to their awful situation” by coming to view themselves in their carnal state and repent. If not, then they have professed to know His name and have not known Him, and have thus blasphemed against Him in the midst of His house - and that for this reason the great and terrible calamities of the end times are going to be unleashed on their heads.

InfoWarrior82
Level 34 Illuminated
Location: "There are 15 on the earth today, you can trust them completely." -President Nelson (Jan 2022)

Post by InfoWarrior82 »

cab wrote: July 25th, 2021, 11:04 pm
lundbaek wrote: July 25th, 2021, 10:16 pm "Wherefore, the Lord commandeth you, that when ye shall see these things come among you that ye shall awake to a sense of your awful situation, because of this secret combination which shall be among you;..."

1. That there is indeed a monolithic and ruthless Luciferian conspiracy that has seized control of all free nations, including this great Gentile nation on the land of promise, and that nothing short of the Lord’s hand can deliver us from it.

2. That the holy church of God that was to be set up among the nations of the Gentiles has become polluted and lapsed into apostasy.

3. That without the mighty change accompanying the baptism of fire and of the Holy Ghost we remain in our carnal state, unredeemed and unsaved. This includes millions of LDS who are constantly reassured that they are on “the covenant path”, despite the lack of experiencing this mighty spiritual event detailed so plainly in the scriptures. These must “awaken to their awful situation” by coming to view themselves in their carnal state and repent. If not, then they have professed to know His name and have not known Him, and have thus blasphemed against Him in the midst of His house - and that for this reason the great and terrible calamities of the end times are going to be unleashed on their heads.
Agreed. And this is the "awful situation" that Moroni refers to. And what an awful situation it is. It's tough to look back and admit that things are not well in Zion. That Zion doesn't actually prosper.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

But a very important thing Pres. Benson did in echoing Moroni (Ether 8:22-26) who was talking about a single secret combination (give Ether 8: 24-25 a close read), was to also essentially testify that it was a single secret combination that was "seek[ing] to overthrow the freedom of all lands, nations, and countries [and] is increasing its evil influence and control over America and the entire world."

This was in addition to saying that many other "secret combinations lusting for power, gain, and glory are flourishing". But both of them were describing a single, high-level group that was focused on "getting above" us to the overthrow of the freedoms of all people, not just those seeking power and gain.

Moroni was describing a single over-arching secret combination of this type that would be among us. Pres. Benson was saying that it was already here.

This single combination was the one that really grabbed their attention and that they were mainly warning us about. We simply have heard nothing more about this single group since Benson. Even bringing the topic up and trying to discuss it has become almost a social taboo among us, inviting ridicule, even.
Last edited by larsenb on July 29th, 2021, 2:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

And the fascinating thing about Moroni's discourse in Ether 8:22-26, in terms of our modern day situation and the prevalence of the "eugenics" and trans-human movement, heck bent on reducing the earth's population to its "carrying capacity" of less than 500,000,000 people, is where in verse 25, he not only says this combination "seeketh to overthrow the freedom of all lands, nations, and countries", but he goes on to say: "and it bringeth to pass the destruction of all people".

This verse fits our current situation to include the eugenics and trans-human (AI/robotics driven) like a glove. And this movement may not directly espouse the "destruction of all people", but this certainly fits the devils end goal, as also averred by verse 25.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

I believe this is extremely important to understand:
"But a very important thing Pres. Benson did in echoing Moroni (Ether 8:22-26) who was talking about a single secret combination (give Ether 8: 24-25 a close read), was to also essentially testify that it was a single secret combination that was "seek[ing] to overthrow the freedom of all lands, nations, and countries [and] is increasing its evil influence and control over America and the entire world.""

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

lundbaek wrote: July 25th, 2021, 10:16 pm . . . . . I believe that to avoid retribution the Church authorities have been very discrete and cautious to not publicly name names, etc., as to do so would surely provoke retribution. . . . .
I believe there is truth to this, but I'm not sure of the degree of conscious awareness they may have in doing it.

This idea is bolstered by seeing one of our high-level leaders directly aiding some of the front-men/groups of this single, over-arching secret combination, by directly contributing money to what I regarded as an election fraud operation in one of the states and to our current 'leader' and his party, who may be regarded as heading his own crime family, in addition to being in the service and thrall of this secret combination.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

And regarding the eugenics/trans-human movement coupled with the COVID fraud, I see the potential of greatly ramping up the "evil influence and control over America and the entire world" of this secret combination (i.e., imposing its tyranny over us), by means of having it ride in on a medical horse, as absolutely cunning and even brilliant.

The catch phrase would be: "tyranny riding in on a medical horse (i.e., the COVID fiasco and resulting 'vaccines') ".

4Joshua8
captain of 1,000

Post by 4Joshua8 »

It's a serious neglect. We have to remember something that is certainly coming: if we don't rid our lands of secret combinations, they are going to become powerful enough to threaten our destruction or to threaten us embracing them, even if by force. In some respects, that is happening right now.

They did exactly that among the Nephites, threatening them with destruction unless they embraced their secret works.

We have to stop thinking of this as "far away" and "not a threat to my family". Right now, today, this second, there are individuals and families neck-deep in legit secret combinations, which combinations are carrying out an evil agenda. It will likely reach your household. In some ways, it already has.

I learned an important lesson about this recently, hinted at in another post. It was extremely painful and I don't know how to talk about it other than to say that I know that we have to school our minds and let virtue garnish our thoughts unceasingly. Coveting is one of the adversary's most effective ways to get us primed for secret combinations. If he can get us to strongly desire what we do not have, he's that much closer to getting us to take the next step. We have to master the principles of moderation and contentment, which has been challenging for me. We have to prize liberty and the freewill of mankind and never let a love of those things die. Faith in Jesus Christ, hope of better (Godly) things to come, and the perfect love that casts out fear and fails not are essential to enduring the attack.

cab
captain of 1,000

Post by cab »

InfoWarrior82 wrote: July 26th, 2021, 6:52 am
cab wrote: July 25th, 2021, 11:04 pm

Agreed. And this is the "awful situation" that Moroni refers to. And what an awful situation it is. It's tough to look back and admit that things are not well in Zion. That Zion doesn't actually prosper.

Yes, a simple keyword search of the word “awake” in the Book of Mormon gives 12 results. Only one is in reference to the secret combination. The “awful state”, rather, is the captivity the readers of the Book of Mormon were to find themselves in - which is both spiritual and temporal. Until members of the church awaken to the reality of our spiritual captivity which we find ourselves in, awakening to the reality of “the secret combination” won’t do a whole lot.

2 Nephi 8
24 Awake, awake, put on thy strength, O Zion; put on thy beautiful garments, O Jerusalem, the holy city; for henceforth there shall no more come into thee the uncircumcised and the unclean.
25 Shake thyself from the dust; arise, sit down, O Jerusalem; loose thyself from the bands of thy neck, O captive daughter of Zion.

D&C 113
7 Questions by Elias Higbee: What is meant by the command in Isaiah, 52d chapter, 1st verse, which saith: Put on thy strength, O Zion—and what people had Isaiah reference to?
8 He had reference to those whom God should call in the last days, who should hold the power of priesthood to bring again Zion, and the redemption of Israel; and to put on her strength is to put on the authority of the priesthood, which she, Zion, has a right to by lineage; alsoto return to that power which she had lost.