Hurricanes, Tornadoes, And Other Extreme Weather Events

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Tropical Storms, Hurricanes, Typhoons, Cyclones

Post by Lizzy60 »

4Joshua8 wrote: August 29th, 2021, 10:23 am
Lizzy60 wrote: August 29th, 2021, 6:11 am Hurricane Ida will make landfall this morning. Winds are currently over 150 mph, and the water has been rising along the Louisiana coast for hours. Major wind damage, major rainfall, and major storm surge will occur. This could do more damage than Katrina, and far fewer people have evacuated. There was never a mandatory evacuation issued for New Orleans. The mayor said there wasn’t enough time given how quickly the storm intensified.
Wow, it's making landfall as a category 4 at 150 mph wind speeds, but category 5 is just 7 mph faster wind speeds, at 157 mph. That's a monster.
Here is a good channel for live coverage. He checks lots of different sites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kR_D4r53_0

Al Roker, moments ago, said this will be like an F3 tornado that’s 15 miles wide hitting Louisiana.

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

Lizzy60 wrote: August 29th, 2021, 10:37 am Al Roker, moments ago, said this will be like an F3 tornado that’s 15 miles wide hitting Louisiana.
Except with massive flooding. :-(

4Joshua8
captain of 1,000

Post by 4Joshua8 »

Tropical Storm Nora to skirt hundreds of miles of Mexico. Check out this path. It's just going to follow the beach all the way up!
Are there a lot of beach resorts there?
Attachments
tropical storm nora
tropical storm nora
Screen Shot 2021-08-29 at 12.08.52 PM.png (218.83 KiB) Viewed 731 times

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Hurricane

Post by BeNotDeceived »

4Joshua8
captain of 1,000

Post by 4Joshua8 »

Ida has been parked over southern LA for hours and is still a CAT 4 storm, but it's soon to drop to CAT 3.

4Joshua8
captain of 1,000

Post by 4Joshua8 »

4Joshua8 wrote: August 29th, 2021, 3:58 pm Ida has been parked over southern LA for hours and is still a CAT 4 storm, but it's soon to drop to CAT 3.
Ida caused the Mississippi river to stop and reverse course, according to this article, and it's "extremely uncommon":
https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/29/weather/ ... index.html

4Joshua8
captain of 1,000

Post by 4Joshua8 »

Larry forms near Africa, projected to become Major hurricane, although its path looks to be taking it north.
https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at2.s ... t#contents

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Cyclones

Post by BeNotDeceived »

viewtopic.php?p=806299#p806299 is about how to neutralize hurricanes in a realistic way, using stuff Dr. Craven explains in a Wired article from 2005: THE MAD GENIUS FROM THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA

:ugeek: But the reversing river,
likely means it’s too late to reverse course now. :x

:geek: Brace for impact, as 2024 doth loom upon the horizon.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

Hurricane Ida now causing flooding and tornadoes in the Eastern states. A large tornado on the ground near Warrington NJ.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

Lizzy60 wrote: September 1st, 2021, 3:53 pm Hurricane Ida now causing flooding and tornadoes in the Eastern states. A large tornado on the ground near Warrington NJ.
I suppose it's too much to ask that an F5 would plow through DC?

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

EmmaLee wrote: September 1st, 2021, 4:03 pm
Lizzy60 wrote: September 1st, 2021, 3:53 pm Hurricane Ida now causing flooding and tornadoes in the Eastern states. A large tornado on the ground near Warrington NJ.
I suppose it's too much to ask that an F5 would plow through DC?
Yep, I’ve been following the paths of several tornadoes in that area. Philadelphia is in the path.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

Johnstown is under a flood emergency due to uncontrolled release from the dam.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... story.html

4Joshua8
captain of 1,000

Post by 4Joshua8 »

Hurricane Larry is formed in Atlantic. Projected path begins turning northward. Projected to become at least a category 4 storm. Too early to tell if it'll hit land.

4Joshua8
captain of 1,000

Post by 4Joshua8 »

Tropical Storm Nicholas has formed in Gulf of Mexico and is projected to hit Texas.

4Joshua8
captain of 1,000

Post by 4Joshua8 »

2021 hurricane season is near a record pace for named storms. 2005 and 2020 saw 31 named Atlantic storms, which ties them for the record. 2021 has seen 20 named storms thus far, with 2 months to go in the season.

4Joshua8
captain of 1,000

Post by 4Joshua8 »

I should add bombogenesis to the title.
A big one headed to the west coast.
https://news.yahoo.com/beast-bomb-cyclo ... 13861.html

4Joshua8
captain of 1,000

Post by 4Joshua8 »

2021 Hurricane Season Uses Up Name List For Only 3rd Time In History
The other two years were 2020 and 2005.

4Joshua8
captain of 1,000

Post by 4Joshua8 »

2021 Atlantic hurricane season closes as third most active on record, and the fourth-costliest on record.
It was also the sixth straight busier-than-normal Atlantic hurricane season.

3 of the top 5 costliest hurricanes on record have happened in the last 4 years, since (and including) 2017's season. Ida, from this year (2021), is the 5th costliest.

4Joshua8
captain of 1,000

Post by 4Joshua8 »

Devastating tornados last night.
One of the deadly tornadoes overnight that left at least 70 dead may have set the record for the longest continuous tornado in American history.

The devastating outbreak, which included more than 30 tornado reports across six states stretching across the Mississippi Valley, Southeast and Midwest, is also an extremely rare event this late into the year.

One tornado, being called the "Quad-State Tornado" ripped across four states in four hours (Arkansas, Missouri, Tennessee and Kentucky), slamming communities such as Monette, Arkansas, and Mayfield, Kentucky, which were two of the hardest hit towns. ...

Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear described the tornado as the most devastating one to hit the state, estimating that it might have killed at least 70 people or more than 100.

That will make this event not just one of the deadliest tornado events in Kentucky history, but also in U.S. history, and potentially the deadliest December outbreak on record.
Kentucky's deadliest storm in 130 years
At least 70 are killed by EIGHTEEN tornadoes in Kentucky's deadliest storm in 130 years. More than 100 deaths expected across six states as twisters level entire towns.
Last edited by 4Joshua8 on December 11th, 2021, 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

4Joshua8 wrote: December 11th, 2021, 12:24 pm
... the "Quad-State Tornado" ripped across four states in four hours ...
Tetragrammaton, but not Tetris tile matching game. 🍄

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

I could say something like,

Can you say Bummer dude, but not Mr. Rodgers. 🍄

But this major disaster so soon after posting about a new game based on double consonants, seems like another arrow in the quiver of truth seeking missiles.

Appropriate Arrow, but not truth seeking projectiles. 🍄 🍄

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

4Joshua8 wrote: December 11th, 2021, 12:24 pm Devastating tornados last night.
The devastating outbreak, which included more than 30 tornado reports across six states stretching across the Mississippi Valley, Southeast and Midwest, is also an extremely rare event this late into the year.

One tornado, being called the "Quad-State Tornado" ripped across four states in four hours (Arkansas, Missouri, Tennessee and Kentucky), slamming communities such as Monette, Arkansas, and Mayfield, Kentucky, which were two of the hardest hit towns.
Mississippi Valley ... Missouri ... Tennessee slamming communities Monette, but not Arkansas ... Kentucky. 🍄

An abundance of double consonants to be sure. :P

Just sayin: What words have more double consonants than Mississippi?

You better wake up! - Puzzlin', but not Evidence.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

The damage is unbelievable in Mayfield.

We were on Tornado Watch from 6 - 11 am this morning. We spent the night at the cabin working on some brickwork since it was so warm yesterday and stayed up around 70* - even during the night. But we need the above freezing temps to work with the mortar. But this morning, wife wanted me to fire up the tractor and pull a log out of a 20' tall log pile**. It was still extremely warm around 7 - 8, but the wind kicked up right when I was about to move the log I wanted. I had pulled several away from it so I could get to it before then. Branches started getting thrown off the trees, which were starting to bend over from the wind, which was about 40-50 mph - bad sign when we got all the rain the night before - soft wet ground + pine trees + wind = problems. Anyway, I could see the line of clouds approaching indicating the front was nearby - figured I had about 5 minutes before we got drenched, but I barely got the tractor put away and it started pouring. I'll get that log eventually. The temps dropped about 15-20 degrees in about 10 minutes. Now it's in the 30's which is a 40 degree temp change from yesterday.

*high temps in December like this are always a warning that tornadoes are possible. sets up a strong frontal boundary - with cold temps on the back side. Hot and cold temps in a frontal boundary are the perfect combination for tornadoes. And I wouldn't call December tornadoes rare - at least not here - happens all the time in December.

** a 20' log pile is pretty dangerous itself - they can roll and crush your leg or worse. But anyway, I kept my wits and guardian angels busy, and didn't have any problems. That log is going to get turned into my stair stringers. Hoping to turn it into 2 @ 17" wide boards, about 3-4" thick. Then I'm going to route a place for the oak stair treads I still need to make, lol. I think they are going to be beautiful.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Hurricanes, Tornadoes, And Other Extreme Weather Events

Post by EmmaLee »

Speaking of which ^

We had a wild storm last night here in Iowa. 70 mph winds and rain. The tornado sirens were going off constantly in our town for 3 hours. Thankfully, no tornadoes touched down near us, but some did in other parts of the state. No injuries or deaths that we've heard of, but plenty of property damage, trees and power lines down, etc. It was a scary night - sounded like a freight train was rushing by our house for many hours.