Where have the miracles gone?

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
XEmilyX
captain of 1,000

Where have the miracles gone?

Post by XEmilyX »

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/secularou ... cles-gone/

Truly when I think about it, I don't know too many people who have had big miracles. First of all I'm not saying God is not a God of miracles, he is, but there's something wrong going on. Something either wrong on our end or something wrong in general.
Miracles, like bringing fire down from heaven, walking on water, healing the sick, raising the dead. God did many VERY big miracles back in the day. I mean in the book of mormon even 3rd Nephi walked and talked with angels daily! Lot had angels help him escape, and even things/miracles happened to people who didn't really believe.
The bible makes it seem like apostles were able to accomplish these healings very easily most of the time, I don't think I heard of any type of person who needed healing to be rejected, especially by christ.
I feel like people who say that miracles still happen, don't realize how infrequent they truly are. Many don't have any miracles, Once a lifetime for some, maybe twice if they're lucky, but three times? nah.
There's many examples of consistency in miracles from scriptures.
They had CONFIDENCE in God's power working when they asked.
I think it was alma or sons of mosiah, but he was so confident in God saving the children and women who were going to be burned, that they truly KNEW they could save them but was asked not to save them by God. This doesn't happen much with miracles. Usually when they are needed, or wanted (in pure heart) they are given.
Jesus was confident in his own power that being around lepers didn't scare him.
People worshiped BAAL and a prophet knew with CONFIDENCE he could CALL down Fire from heaven to show that Jesus is Lord and it happened.

If there is the aaronic priesthood (which there is) then WHY is UTAH not FULL of MIRACLES and ANGELS compared to the rest of the usa/world?
There's a LOT of christians in the world, and some are very valiant, where are the miracles for these people? I don't hear much. I read stuff online, but it's still not like they have it often, or even once every 10 years.

I have NEVER heard of miracles in church meetings. Some are by friends, and family members but they're once in a lifetime.
If people never shared their spiritual experiences then we would have very little scripture, or none really.

In my opinion, this is ridiculous. Something is wrong.

Do people not want to talk to angels? to create miracles to help people come to Jesus? Do we not have faith and all is vain? Do we not ask?

I truly don't know what's causing this.

I definitely wouldn't want to be a person in the last days WITHOUT some form of big revelation, dreams, angels, imagery, etc

Help from Heaven is going to be necessary in the coming days.

FLgal
captain of 100

Re: Where have the miracles gone?

Post by FLgal »

Good thoughts.
For one thing Jesus cast out many demons.
Why is that not happening in every Christian home and church?
Suicide rates are high, especially among youth, because dark portals have opened more and more demons on the earth possessing many. It is sad that with all the Endowed members along the Wasatch front many are struggling and parents and leaders aren't casting out.
If we'd just do this one thing in our homes for protection huge miracles could be happening everywhere.
Good topic. Thanks for making a stand..

AGoodGlobalCitizen
captain of 100

Post by AGoodGlobalCitizen »

XEmilyX wrote: April 20th, 2021, 6:58 pm

Do people not want to talk to angels? to create miracles to help people come to Jesus? Do we not have faith and all is vain? Do we not ask?
I do want to see more of "the other side" in my life, but I feel like I just simply lack faith.

I believe in the Book of Mormon. I believe in Christ as the Messiah. I believe in Heavenly Father. It's a belief that I think is sincere enough that it has shaped and healed my life

I just don't have the faith to interact or witness the other side of the veil *shrugs*

4Joshua8
captain of 1,000

Post by 4Joshua8 »

Miracles cease when faith ceases, and it's hard to have quality faith when our people are, from birth, raised in idolatry, in addition to being taught inaccurate information about God's character, attributes, and values.

I'm trying to attain this faith, but every day I'm reminded that God is angry with our people and perhaps has been with me. Read Isaiah 1 about what he's going to do when we cry out for help in our hour of judgment. We, generally, are wicked and unrepentant, which dries up miracles. The wicked are left inventing miracles out of thin air...things they need to invent in order to feel comfortable about their wicked state of being. It's been this way for a very long time. But miracles aren't completely gone, they're just scarcer and scarcer.

Today, most "miracles" can also be described as works of man's genius, which I feel is a poor substitute for the power of God on whom we should directly rely. Our society is counting on miracles without faith sufficient to even repent. That's a problem. An unrepentant people who require miracles may find that God delivers them over to receive their "miracles," but from a source that is neither God nor good.

So, while I am interested in miracles, I'm even more concerned with the faith sufficient to repent.

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

download-46.jpg
download-46.jpg (25.45 KiB) Viewed 1266 times

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Gadianton Slayer »

AGoodGlobalCitizen wrote: April 20th, 2021, 7:16 pm
XEmilyX wrote: April 20th, 2021, 6:58 pm

I do want to see more of "the other side" in my life, but I feel like I just simply lack faith.

I believe in the Book of Mormon. I believe in Christ as the Messiah. I believe in Heavenly Father. It's a belief that I think is sincere enough that it has shaped and healed my life

I just don't have the faith to interact or witness the other side of the veil *shrugs*
I’ve always had similar thoughts. I believe those things can happen, but not necessarily by me. But I do feel that the true power of God will be manifest through worthy individuals in my lifetime. So even if it’s just enough faith to take the first step onto the water, I’m going to try and be prepared to be the one to carry out miracles.

FLgal
captain of 100

Post by FLgal »

Lots to do with your attitude. You can have anything you desire. If you expect to have miracles everyday then you will. Ask your spirit to open up to them and be a receptacle for truth and light. Give your blocks of unbelief to Christ and ask for Him to replace the dark with light.

FLgal
captain of 100

Post by FLgal »

I highly recommend Mike Strouds Book of Mormon podcasts on podomatic.com. I testify they changed my life.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

I've had the most success with miracles when I do my ministering.

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

Of all His miracles the most incredible is the miracle that rescues me.....

Still hoping for this one.

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

tribrac wrote: April 20th, 2021, 9:38 pm Of all His miracles the most incredible is the miracle that rescues me.....

....you must think highly of yourself ;)

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

There are still miracles... did you not see those people who received wheelchairs? A miracle that Peter himself would be jealous of

Dave62
destroyer of hopes & dreams

Post by Dave62 »

FLgal wrote: April 20th, 2021, 7:06 pm Good thoughts.
For one thing Jesus cast out many demons.
Why is that not happening in every Christian home and church?
Suicide rates are high, especially among youth, because dark portals have opened more and more demons on the earth possessing many. It is sad that with all the Endowed members along the Wasatch front many are struggling and parents and leaders aren't casting out.
If we'd just do this one thing in our homes for protection huge miracles could be happening everywhere.
Good topic. Thanks for making a stand..
You raise a salient point but casting out demons is useless if the victim does not fill the vacuum with virtue. Doing so will prevent their return, worse than before. Most will not do this and so the miracles will not remain permanent.

Mindfields
captain of 1,000

Post by Mindfields »

And don't forget the "finding car keys miracle" happens multiple times per day.

In truth the whole idea of miracles in the church has been redefined and now even the most mundane occurrences become miracles.
Last edited by Mindfields on April 21st, 2021, 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

James Paul
captain of 100

Post by James Paul »

My experiences with what can be called miracles have to do with healing power of Priesthood blessings. Ending my Arthritis medicines of 14 years, by the blessing of the Elders Quorum President with my wife also assisting
him, as was used in the days; of Joseph Smith.
Recovering from a heart attack by calling the Home Teachers.
Dealing with a battery explosion which left me blind for about 30 minutes, until I remember telling my wife, I can see LIGHT, as I had been using baking soda and water on my cut face and punctured eyeball. I would not let the hospital touch me until the elders arrived at the hospital.
As the years passed I had a hard time even finding BELIEVERS in the power of the priesthood and since being the oldest in a ward of 400 and no ministering visits but one in over 2 years as "I live too far from the Church for visits", I have to rely on my prayers with Heavenly Father for help.
We did finally switch our records to the ENglish speaking ward as the ward we live in has dropped to 10% attendance with ON LINE MEETINGS.
The teachings in the church no longer cover the importance of blessings since the meetings are no longer a block of 5 hours with each meeting being 1 1/2 hours. Without knowledge the belief has pretty much stopped as far as I know.
I do look forward to some serious changes in the church.

ampeterlin
captain of 100

Post by ampeterlin »

James Paul wrote: April 21st, 2021, 5:19 am My experiences with what can be called miracles have to do with healing power of Priesthood blessings. Ending my Arthritis medicines of 14 years, by the blessing of the Elders Quorum President with my wife also assisting
him, as was used in the days; of Joseph Smith.
Recovering from a heart attack by calling the Home Teachers.
Dealing with a battery explosion which left me blind for about 30 minutes, until I remember telling my wife, I can see LIGHT, as I had been using baking soda and water on my cut face and punctured eyeball. I would not let the hospital touch me until the elders arrived at the hospital.
As the years passed I had a hard time even finding BELIEVERS in the power of the priesthood and since being the oldest in a ward of 400 and no ministering visits but one in over 2 years as "I live too far from the Church for visits", I have to rely on my prayers with Heavenly Father for help.
We did finally switch our records to the ENglish speaking ward as the ward we live in has dropped to 10% attendance with ON LINE MEETINGS.
The teachings in the church no longer cover the importance of blessings since the meetings are no longer a block of 5 hours with each meeting being 1 1/2 hours. Without knowledge the belief has pretty much stopped as far as I know.
I do look forward to some serious changes in the church.
Amen.

My people perish because of a lack of knowledge says the Lord.

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

Listened to Acts this morning. Paul cast out a devil and the result of this miracle was all the people in town threw their sorcery and spell books into a fire.

It is too often repeated that miracles don't convert people. I agree, but it misses the point, miracles can give people a reason to beleive and start them down the path of conversion.

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

nightlight wrote: April 20th, 2021, 9:42 pm
tribrac wrote: April 20th, 2021, 9:38 pm Of all His miracles the most incredible is the miracle that rescues me.....

Ha ha, I thought the same thing when that song first came out. But as disappointment and discouragement piles up in my life and Heaven seems to stretch further beyond my reach I care less about the Red Sea parting, or arrows missing, or 5,000 people eating diner. I know that was important to them, but it doesn't fix my wretched mess.

FLgal
captain of 100

Post by FLgal »

In regards to the miracle of casting out demons. I'd like to refer you to a new thread i started: The Chosen Scene. Jesus and Nicodemus. Casting Out. Suicide.

darknesstolight
captain of 1,000

Post by darknesstolight »

tribrac wrote: April 21st, 2021, 8:46 am
nightlight wrote: April 20th, 2021, 9:42 pm

Ha ha, I thought the same thing when that song first came out. But as disappointment and discouragement piles up in my life and Heaven seems to stretch further beyond my reach I care less about the Red Sea parting, or arrows missing, or 5,000 people eating diner. I know that was important to them, but it doesn't fix my wretched mess.
That idea was a turning point for me.

I had to accept that if God did it for Nephi then He would do it for me. Or pick any prophet or person in the scriptures who was "saved" by God.

It comes as a shock but you are just as worthy as they were.

Don't doubt it just believe.

FLgal
captain of 100

Post by FLgal »

Not just being saved. Becoming Gods. That is our doctrine. The great prophets were no better than us, they were more diligent. Are still diligent.

ampeterlin
captain of 100

Post by ampeterlin »

FLgal wrote: April 21st, 2021, 8:54 pm Not just being saved. Becoming Gods. That is our doctrine. The great prophets were no better than us, they were more diligent. Are still diligent.
I have always thought that not everyone should be a member of the LDS church, as it is for those becoming gods.

Any thoughts on that?

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Perhaps miracles occur, but somehow you don’t notice them i.e. posts about March 8th, 3490, 22ii and those related to the 5.7 magnitude earthquake on March 18th at 9 minutes after the hour.

OPMissionary
captain of 100

Post by OPMissionary »

ampeterlin wrote: April 21st, 2021, 9:42 pm
FLgal wrote: April 21st, 2021, 8:54 pm Not just being saved. Becoming Gods. That is our doctrine. The great prophets were no better than us, they were more diligent. Are still diligent.
I have always thought that not everyone should be a member of the LDS church, as it is for those becoming gods.

Any thoughts on that?
I'm inclined to agree that some aren't ready for that realization. I know people who are uncomfortable with that doctrine and don't like to think about it. They certainly don't talk about it in conference or Sunday school. But it's a true doctrine. All we talk about is choose the right and follow the prophet all day, but this hardly seems to be preparing us for the kind of consciousness required for being a god. Does God himself answer to a prophet? I don't think so. At some point we are supposed to be spiritually self-sufficient.

So I think what I'm saying is that it's the opposite. The LDS church is almost like training wheels in what it offers. At a certain point you need to be able to spiritually discern truth for yourself without other people having to tell you what to do. That's agency. Those ready to become gods would not need a bishop, a stake president, an apostle, or even a prophet to know all things. They would directly commune with God and Christ in order to discern the intelligence of the universe. The idea that 15 men on the earth have a monopoly on all spiritual insight seems like a mockery of God's benevolence. He would be more than willing to pour his light and truth into your consciousness if you have the faith to ask and recieve it. The LDS church seems like a very early step in our eternal progression.

MikeMaillet
captain of 1,000

Post by MikeMaillet »

XEmilyX wrote: April 20th, 2021, 6:58 pm https://www.patheos.com/blogs/secularou ... cles-gone/

Truly when I think about it, I don't know too many people who have had big miracles. First of all I'm not saying God is not a God of miracles, he is, but there's something wrong going on. Something either wrong on our end or something wrong in general.
Miracles, like bringing fire down from heaven, walking on water, healing the sick, raising the dead. God did many VERY big miracles back in the day. I mean in the book of mormon even 3rd Nephi walked and talked with angels daily! Lot had angels help him escape, and even things/miracles happened to people who didn't really believe.
The bible makes it seem like apostles were able to accomplish these healings very easily most of the time, I don't think I heard of any type of person who needed healing to be rejected, especially by christ.
I feel like people who say that miracles still happen, don't realize how infrequent they truly are. Many don't have any miracles, Once a lifetime for some, maybe twice if they're lucky, but three times? nah.
There's many examples of consistency in miracles from scriptures.
They had CONFIDENCE in God's power working when they asked.
I think it was alma or sons of mosiah, but he was so confident in God saving the children and women who were going to be burned, that they truly KNEW they could save them but was asked not to save them by God. This doesn't happen much with miracles. Usually when they are needed, or wanted (in pure heart) they are given.
Jesus was confident in his own power that being around lepers didn't scare him.
People worshiped BAAL and a prophet knew with CONFIDENCE he could CALL down Fire from heaven to show that Jesus is Lord and it happened.

If there is the aaronic priesthood (which there is) then WHY is UTAH not FULL of MIRACLES and ANGELS compared to the rest of the usa/world?
There's a LOT of christians in the world, and some are very valiant, where are the miracles for these people? I don't hear much. I read stuff online, but it's still not like they have it often, or even once every 10 years.

I have NEVER heard of miracles in church meetings. Some are by friends, and family members but they're once in a lifetime.
If people never shared their spiritual experiences then we would have very little scripture, or none really.

In my opinion, this is ridiculous. Something is wrong.

I truly don't know what's causing this.

I definitely wouldn't want to be a person in the last days WITHOUT some form of big revelation, dreams, angels, imagery, etc

Help from Heaven is going to be necessary in the coming days.
XEmilyX; love your post. I've asked myself many of those questions and from what I understand, we are not witnessing many miracles because we have failed to honour the terms of the covenant that comes along with living on this chosen land, The Book of Mormon. We have poor amongst us, we have class distinction and we build shopping malls that are monuments to consumerism. The United Order fell apart in 1832 and the Prophet was murdered 12 years later. Those sins of our fathers are being visited upon us, the 3rd and 4th generations. We will be tried in the crucible of affliction which is juuuuuust around the corner.

Having said that, God deals with whomever He pleases and there are some who do and will experience miracles. I've not been one of those but I have been the recipient of answers to prayers. I've been studying Isaiah and other documents for well over a year now and have recently been asking God for more knowledge. I've also been living a very-near vegetarian lifestyle for the past month in response to my digging more into the Word of Wisdom. I've been blessed with incredible bursts of insight as a result and this is motivating me to study and pray with more purpose.

You are correct in noticing the lack of miracles but it wasn't always so. We will receive miracles only as long as we, as a people, honour the terms of the covenant.

I hope this helps.

Mike Maillet
Ingleside, Ontario