Who is excited about the friend to friend revelation?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.

What do you think of "Friend to Friend"?

It is inspired.
8%
They are doing a good job.
10%
I think they are trying too hard.
31%
It is too fake / staged for me.
51%

Total votes: 39
TherealBatMan
Hi, I'm new.

Who is excited about the friend to friend revelation?

Post by TherealBatMan »

Screenshot_20210218-181741_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20210218-181741_Samsung Internet.jpg (740.56 KiB) Viewed 1188 times

InfoWarrior82
Level 34 Illuminated
Location: "There are 15 on the earth today, you can trust them completely." -President Nelson (Jan 2022)

Re: Who is excited about the friend to friend revelation?

Post by InfoWarrior82 »

Did they actually say it was revealed by the Lord? Or is it one more of those ambiguous things that are left to the membership to assume?

4Joshua8
captain of 1,000

Post by 4Joshua8 »

More context please. What do you mean by revelation? Did they announce something, or are you just talking about being excited about the broadcast?

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Stupid name trying to recreate the scouts that have succumbed to social engineering. :P

Allison
captain of 1,000

Post by Allison »

It’s for children, so the question is if it is too staged for them.

I hope this is something they are going to offer weekly since many families are not welcome at church without a mask. It would be a great replacement for live Primary wherever real Primary is not available.

onefour1
captain of 1,000

Post by onefour1 »

I watched the broadcast and felt the Spirit as I did. I don't know if the Lord revealed to the church or not to do this but it was very inspiring. If you haven't seen it, here it is: https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/bro ... d?lang=eng

When reading this blog I thought of the following scripture:

Doctrine and Covenants 58:26-28
26 For behold, it is not meet that I should command in all things; for he that is compelled in all things, the same is a slothful and not a wise servant; wherefore he receiveth no reward.
27 Verily I say, men should be anxiously engaged in a good cause, and do many things of their own free will, and bring to pass much righteousness;
28 For the power is in them, wherein they are agents unto themselves. And inasmuch as men do good they shall in nowise lose their reward.

Jamescm
captain of 100

Post by Jamescm »

Allison wrote: February 20th, 2021, 7:18 pm It’s for children, so the question is if it is too staged for them.

I hope this is something they are going to offer weekly since many families are not welcome at church without a mask. It would be a great replacement for live Primary wherever real Primary is not available.
This. Wife and I cringed, children liked it. Additionally this in that the Church has taught the Book of Mormon for many decades: "Be aware of modern day Gadiantons who will seek to overthrow the world's liberty". As much as the Church has talked about helping feel "included" it seems the saints who have actually studied and followed the Book of Mormon are the only excluded ones.

Serragon
captain of 1,000

Post by Serragon »

I thought this was really good. I thought that if I was a primary kid I would have loved it and my testimony of the Savior would have grown. The Elder Soares cartoon was great.

I do wish they would stop having the hosts of all of these face to face events quoting lines with over the top emotion as though they were real emotions. It comes across as fake and manipulative.. like someone is attempting to manipulate me directly through emotion instead of allowing me the opportunity to evaluate it. Having a professional, sharp production is fine. Faking emotions by actors to mimic the Spirit is not.

OPMissionary
captain of 100

Post by OPMissionary »

Serragon wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 11:36 am I thought this was really good. I thought that if I was a primary kid I would have loved it and my testimony of the Savior would have grown. The Elder Soares cartoon was great.

I do wish they would stop having the hosts of all of these face to face events quoting lines with over the top emotion as though they were real emotions. It comes across as fake and manipulative.. like someone is attempting to manipulate me directly through emotion instead of allowing me the opportunity to evaluate it. Having a professional, sharp production is fine. Faking emotions by actors to mimic the Spirit is not.
In my mission we called this the "spirit voice." It's usually very obvious that the voice quivering and dramatic inflections do not genuinely come from the spirit, but instead what it would sound like if you were trying to mimic what feeling the spirit sounds like. We would make fun of elders and especially sisters who layed this technique on too thick.

The most spiritual people I've met do not use the spirit voice. I actively guarded against it in all my lessons and that's probably why I and my companions generally were very successful. People just sense fake when it's there.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

Serragon wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 11:36 am I thought this was really good. I thought that if I was a primary kid I would have loved it and my testimony of the Savior would have grown. The Elder Soares cartoon was great.

The Church used to market manipulative emotion under the trademarked name HeartSell. Old habits die hard.

markharr
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by markharr »

I haven't watched it yet. They new stuff feels like a TED talk to me. I suspect that is intentional due to the church trying to appeal to millennials and Gen Y.

4Joshua8
captain of 1,000

Post by 4Joshua8 »

Lizzy60 wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 12:14 pm

The Church used to market manipulative emotion under the trademarked name HeartSell. Old habits die hard.
Insincerity is a plague in the church and something the namesake of the church loathed; hence, the "hypocrites" rebuke.

The more I understand our Savior, the more I realize He would feel so unwelcome because of the church.

Serragon
captain of 1,000

Post by Serragon »

markharr wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 12:21 pm I haven't watched it yet. They new stuff feels like a TED talk to me. I suspect that is intentional due to the church trying to appeal to millennials and Gen Y.
More fruit of no longer believing in a literal gathering. We are adopting the culture of the world instead of pulling out of the world and into our culture.

NewEliza
captain of 1,000

Post by NewEliza »

In other news I made my daughter a makeshift slingshot so she could pretend to be like David

FoundMyEden
captain of 1,000

Post by FoundMyEden »

NewEliza wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 12:49 pm In other news I made my daughter a makeshift slingshot so she could pretend to be like David
Just as long as we don't make binoculars for our boys who want to pretend to be King David. (Sorry, bad humor...but I couldn't resist.)

One above all
captain of 100

Post by One above all »

My children loved it. I loved it too. A couple of times it was kind of cringe but for the most part it was incredible. My kids did all of the art stuff and wanted to talk about Christ afterward.

FoundMyEden
captain of 1,000

Post by FoundMyEden »

Jamescm wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 10:28 am
Allison wrote: February 20th, 2021, 7:18 pm It’s for children, so the question is if it is too staged for them.

This. Wife and I cringed, children liked it. Additionally this in that the Church has taught the Book of Mormon for many decades: "Be aware of modern day Gadiantons who will seek to overthrow the world's liberty". As much as the Church has talked about helping feel "included" it seems the saints who have actually studied and followed the Book of Mormon are the only excluded ones.
You are right, they/we are being excluded. The funny thing is...in successful marketing the more you offer inclusion (in 2021 standards) the more you exclude, because you end up trying to make everyone happy. The church is doing exactly that, and it shows a huge sign of weakness to the ones who are dedicated to the fundamentals. To the ones who want to follow the leaders in whatever wind the ship blows it's sails, the church, not God, is losing. Christ's foundation is solid and doesn't change to appease Babylon. "Now, back to the show folks!" ;)

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

I felt uncomfortable with the fact that these 2 children must have had to put in a lot of effort to put this event forward. I strongly believe kids need to spend their childhood being what they need to be, not what the adults around them need to be. And in this case to make them work so hard and run so many lines, they had to be doing it to make the adults happy and not because they really wanted to. And it's teaching them to do what the world wants and please the world. Be enthusiastic. Be charming. Be entertaining. Be cute. Make people like you so our church can get more views. I mean Hollywood takes way too much advantage of children actors. But at least Hollywood would have paid them.

One above all
captain of 100

Post by One above all »

Juliet wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 2:17 pm I felt uncomfortable with the fact that these 2 children must have had to put in a lot of effort to put this event forward. I strongly believe kids need to spend their childhood being what they need to be, not what the adults around them need to be. And in this case to make them work so hard and run so many lines, they had to be doing it to make the adults happy and not because they really wanted to. And it's teaching them to do what the world wants and please the world. Be enthusiastic. Be charming. Be entertaining. Be cute. Make people like you so our church can get more views. I mean Hollywood takes way too much advantage of children actors. But at least Hollywood would have paid them.
I don't agree with that. As adults we need to push kids to be better than they can be. I wish my parents would have pushed me to keep up with Guitar lessons when I was young.

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

One above all wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 2:20 pm
Juliet wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 2:17 pm I felt uncomfortable with the fact that these 2 children must have had to put in a lot of effort to put this event forward. I strongly believe kids need to spend their childhood being what they need to be, not what the adults around them need to be. And in this case to make them work so hard and run so many lines, they had to be doing it to make the adults happy and not because they really wanted to. And it's teaching them to do what the world wants and please the world. Be enthusiastic. Be charming. Be entertaining. Be cute. Make people like you so our church can get more views. I mean Hollywood takes way too much advantage of children actors. But at least Hollywood would have paid them.
I don't agree with that. As adults we need to push kids to be better than they can be. I wish my parents would have pushed me to keep up with Guitar lessons when I was young.
I feel like the church is using them to promote the church more than their own development. Some kids need to be pushed for their good. But not for an organization's good. That is evil. And that is the feel I get. We have to protect children from usury. I wouldn't let my kids do a big presentation for my local bank without getting highly compensated and without my kids strongly agreeing. So why the church? The kids probably felt they had too for religious reasons which is actually religious abuse. Using religion to make someone feel compelled to do something they otherwise wouldn't want to do.
Last edited by Juliet on February 22nd, 2021, 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FoundMyEden
captain of 1,000

Post by FoundMyEden »

Guitar lessons vs acting lessons. Sure, that works too. But we're not talking about secular society. This is for the church. Creating character, yes, but again this is for church promotion. If you work for the church, you should get paid from the church. This is what it has come to.

You can still jump back on those guitar lessons. I need to as well. :)

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

FoundMyEden wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 2:28 pm
Guitar lessons vs acting lessons. Sure, that works too. But we're not talking about secular society. This is for the church. Creating character, yes, but again this is for church promotion. If you work for the church, you should get paid from the church. This is what it has come to.

All the more reason to be careful. You are making a child do work in the interest of God. That quickly becomes religious abuse. And I will tell you what, in this case, it is so the adults who run the church who benefit because this is a public relations event at the child's expense. It makes me feel sick.

FoundMyEden
captain of 1,000

Post by FoundMyEden »

Juliet wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 2:29 pm

All the more reason to be careful. You are making a child do work in the interest of God. That quickly becomes religious abuse. And I will tell you want, in this case, it is so the adults can benefit because this is a public relations event. It makes me feel sick.
Agreed, my point as well although not articulated as well as yours.

Allison
captain of 1,000

Post by Allison »

Juliet wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 2:29 pm

All the more reason to be careful. You are making a child do work in the interest of God. That quickly becomes religious abuse. And I will tell you what, in this case, it is so the adults who run the church who benefit because this is a public relations event at the child's expense. It makes me feel sick.
How do we know that they didn’t get paid? But you are right, if this happened weekly or monthly, it should be spread out among a lot of other children so that it didn’t become their life, like it or not.

Maybe more of a mister Rogers approach (adult actors and puppets geared to young children) would be better if it becomes an ongoing thing.

Our grandchildren really enjoyed it!

One above all
captain of 100

Post by One above all »

I'm sure they had the parents permission. And I'm also sure the Church didn't force them to do it. In fact I bet they asked them to pray about it. You'll are a bunch of snow flakes LOL!