Abraham Lincoln, The Civil War & Slavery References

Discuss liberty related books, videos, audio, as well as downloadable resources.
jreuben
captain of 100

Abraham Lincoln, The Civil War & Slavery References

Post by jreuben »

Stumbled upon some interesting information about the Civil War and Slavery in reference to Abraham Lincoln. I'll copy it here for reference and posterity:
Like everything else in our history, the Civil War is a massively lied-about event. There are two sides to the story, and the only one we usually hear is propaganda. As they say, "the victors write history."

First of all, if you want a REAL understanding of the Civil War, you should read this:
https://web.archive.org/web/20080707033 ... erlain.htm

I cannot recommend that essay highly enough, even though it's almost a small book. Despite its length, it is WELL-WORTH reading the whole way through. At least read the section called "What Was Slavery Really Like?"

Also, read this: https://archive.org/stream/CreatureFrom ... 5/mode/2up

I suggest reading to page 373 at least.

Furthermore, for you to have a better understanding of Abraham Lincoln specifically, I recommend reading the following:
  • I stumbled upon this while looking for data about Lincoln: Abraham Lincoln, the Mormons, and the Civil War. There's a lot in it which seems to be talking about a Mormon religious viewpoint on him, but there's a lot of solid historical data too.
I'd like to conclude by saying, I don't hate Abraham Lincoln. But I think he was a flawed man and I disagree with many of his policies and decisions as a leader. We have transformed him into a golden calf that is seen as infallible and incapable of doing wrong. He was in a hard position in a difficult place in history (and I don't know his heart), but I can see that he made many mistakes and was surrounded by corrupt people. I am not God, and I will not judge whether there is innocent blood on his hands, but I truly believe there could have been MUCH more done to prevent the Civil War and preempt the bloodletting that occurred. Many Americans, black and white, Northern and Southern, suffered and died unnecessarily and cruelly in that war. I think Lincoln is too often absolved of any accountability in this crime.
Last edited by jreuben on February 7th, 2021, 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Abraham Lincoln, The Civil War & Slavery References

Post by EmmaLee »

Reading suggestion -

The Real Lincoln: A New Look at Abraham Lincoln, His Agenda, and an Unnecessary War
by Thomas J. Dilorenzo

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Abraham Lincoln, The Civil War & Slavery References

Post by ajax »

jreuben wrote: February 7th, 2021, 11:41 am Stumbled upon some interesting information about the Civil War and Slavery in reference to Abraham Lincoln. I'll copy it here for reference and posterity:
Like everything else in our history, the Civil War is a massively lied-about event. There are two sides to the story, and the only one we usually hear is propaganda. As they say, "the victors write history."

First of all, if you want a REAL understanding of the Civil War, you should read this:
https://web.archive.org/web/20080707033 ... erlain.htm

I cannot recommend that essay highly enough, even though it's almost a small book. Despite its length, it is WELL-WORTH .
Thanks for the above link. It is an excellent article. I just finished it. Here is the latest edition:
https://miketgriffith.com/files/chamberlain.htm

I would recommend to anyone interested in the topic.

The standard narrative is the South is devilish, the slaves walked in chains and the whites carried whips all day. The mainstream propaganda is virtually complete. The south is the whipping boy of American history, no good thing has come out of it, even Glenn Beck has said as much. And it continues, our current problems are blamed on the rise of neo-confederate white nationalists, basically deplorable southerners. Real history is much more nuanced and interesting.

AOC: Nation Can Only Heal Once ‘Oppressed’ Southern States Are ‘Liberated’