Anger. Good or Bad?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
PDrockton.M.A.
captain of 100

Anger. Good or Bad?

Post by PDrockton.M.A. »

Anger is a destroying fire that burns down everything it touches. Both the good and the bad. It ultimately leads the angry individual to loneliness and emptiness....

No matter how big the injustice. Remember, it is now or will eventually be in the past. Pray for forgiveness of everyone that has offended you. Rebuke anger. It is Satans number 1 tool for destroying mankind.

Silas
captain of 1,000

Re: Anger. Good or Bad?

Post by Silas »

PDrockton.M.A. wrote: October 3rd, 2020, 10:08 pm Anger is a destroying fire that burns down everything it touches. Both the good and the bad. It ultimately leads the angry individual to loneliness and emptiness....

No matter how big the injustice. Remember, it is now or will eventually be in the past. Pray for forgiveness of everyone that has offended you. Rebuke anger. It is Satans number 1 tool for destroying mankind.
I view anger as my internal injustice detector. Anger alerts me that a violation of some kind has taken place. Anger is a very useful servant. He makes sure I know when something is wrong. He’s an advisor, and a good one, but he is a terrible commander. If he gets in charge then he reacts to things that should be ignored and he runs a scorched earth campaign when a cautious defensive posture is needed.

I listen when anger has something to say to me and I thank him for his advice but I do not allow him to make the decisions.

tdj
captain of 1,000

Post by tdj »

There is a thing called righteous anger. Paul I believe said somewhere in the new testament to be angry and sin not. I can see where a righteous anger would be good in shaking us from apathy, complacency and indifference, but I can also very much see how it can be destructive. It can cause all sorts of health problems and is so very exhausting.

Zathura
Follow the Prophet

Post by Zathura »

I say anger is bad. Always. Without exception. We might think what we are feeling is righteous anger, but it probably isn't and actually do ourselves a disservice.

John Tavner
captain of 1,000

Post by John Tavner »

Until we have charity - a gift of God, it is very dangerous grounds to claim we have "righteous anger"

Let's see what the scriptures say:

James 1:20 19My beloved brothers, understand this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to anger, 20for man’s anger does not bring about the righteousness that God desires. 21Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and every expression of evil, and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save your souls

PDrockton.M.A.
captain of 100

Post by PDrockton.M.A. »

Anger is an evil spirit governed by Satan. Pray and ask the Lord to cast it out. Fear, Lust and Anger are how Satan builds his earthly kingdom.

I will not have him governing over me.

Silas
captain of 1,000

Post by Silas »

Zathura wrote: October 4th, 2020, 10:29 am I say anger is bad. Always. Without exception. We might think what we are feeling is righteous anger, but it probably isn't and actually do ourselves a disservice.
Okay so if someone rapes my child I’m just supposed to be cool with it? Shouldn’t be angry at all?

When Jesus made a whip and threw tables because the temple was defiled did he sin?

That’s garbage. Anger is an emotion, it’s a passion. Our passions should be bridled not eliminated. It’s not sinful to be angry, but allowing my anger to control my actions will very quickly lead me into serious sin.

Zathura
Follow the Prophet

Post by Zathura »

Silas wrote: October 4th, 2020, 11:34 am
Zathura wrote: October 4th, 2020, 10:29 am I say anger is bad. Always. Without exception. We might think what we are feeling is righteous anger, but it probably isn't and actually do ourselves a disservice.
Okay so if someone rapes my child I’m just supposed to be cool with it? Shouldn’t be angry at all?

When Jesus made a whip and threw tables because the temple was defiled did he sin?

That’s garbage. Anger is an emotion, it’s a passion. Our passions should be bridled not eliminated. It’s not sinful to be angry, but allowing my anger to control my actions will very quickly lead me into serious sin.
You can choose to make that ridiculous leap, that's your choice. You do you .

Zathura
Follow the Prophet

Post by Zathura »

I feel no need to address your post when Brigham Young already did.
“Suppose, when you arrive at home from this meeting, you find your neighbors have killed your horses and destroyed your property, how would you feel? You would feel like taking instant vengeance on the perpetrator of the deed. But it would be wrong for you to encourage the least particle of feeling to arise like anger, or revenge, or like taking judgement into your own hands, until the Lord shall say, ‘Judgment is yours, and for you to execute.’ When anger arises, … know that it arises in yourselves. …

“… Dismiss any spirit that would prompt you to injure any creature that the Lord has made, give it no place, encourage it not, and it will not stay where you are.” (Journal of Discourses, 2:134–35.)

Zathura
Follow the Prophet

Post by Zathura »

Anger is sin. We may feel it, we may feel justified, but it's not. It is wrong. Some have an easier time managing it than others, but that doesn't change a thing.

Alexander
the Great
Location: amongst the brotherhood of the Black Robed Regiment; cocked hat and cocked rifle

Post by Alexander »

tdj wrote: October 4th, 2020, 10:22 am There is a thing called righteous anger. Paul I believe said somewhere in the new testament to be angry and sin not. I can see where a righteous anger would be good in shaking us from apathy, complacency and indifference, but I can also very much see how it can be destructive. It can cause all sorts of health problems and is so very exhausting.
Righteous judgement is different than “righteous anger”. God is love, and has pure charity. He is perfectly Just and Merciful.

Alexander
the Great
Location: amongst the brotherhood of the Black Robed Regiment; cocked hat and cocked rifle

Post by Alexander »

Moroni 7
45 And charity suffereth long, and is kind, and envieth not, and is not puffed up, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil, and rejoiceth not in iniquity but rejoiceth in the truth, beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
46 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, if ye have not charity, ye are nothing, for charity never faileth. Wherefore, cleave unto charity, which is the greatest of all, for all things must fail—
47 But charity is the pure love of Christ, and it endureth forever; and whoso is found possessed of it at the last day, it shall be well with him.
48 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, pray unto the Father with all the energy of heart, that ye may be filled with this love, which he hath bestowed upon all who are true followers of his Son, Jesus Christ; that ye may become the sons of God; that when he shall appear we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is; that we may have this hope; that we may be purified even as he is pure. Amen.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

I think we should draw a distinction between anger and righteous indignation

With anger, there is contention in your heart, which always leads to problems. With righteous indignation, there is upset in your heart—which is where the Saviour can help you

Silas
captain of 1,000

Post by Silas »

Zathura wrote: October 4th, 2020, 11:36 am

You said no exceptions. So I purposely took an extreme to test you.

Someone rapes my child. Will you condemn me for feeling anger or will you help me to seek justice?

John Tavner
captain of 1,000

Post by John Tavner »

Here are more scriptures:

Gal 5: 19Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these, adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, 20idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, 21envyings, murders, drunkenness, revelings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

Spirit = 22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, long-suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, 23meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. 24And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

And Eph 4:26 Eph 4:26 Can ye be angry and not sin? Let not the sun go down upon your wrath; (JST)

Christ showed us a better way. We may feel that emotion come up, it is natural, but we must remember taht Christ is our identity now - we are to "consider ourselves dead to sin" and to "deny ourselves"

Indeed the Lord has told us "vengeance is mine (the Lord's). It is not ours.

Thankfully the Lord makes judgment. Is it wrong to be angry, yes, is it also wrong for me to condemn you because of it, yes. Who am I to cast stones at you for being angry when I once was so myself. I can on the other hand encourage to improve and not condemn another for anger and point them towards christ who is might to save (which means to deliver)

Zathura
Follow the Prophet

Post by Zathura »

Silas wrote: October 4th, 2020, 12:03 pm

Someone rapes my child. Will you condemn me for feeling anger or will you help me to seek justice?
I'll feel angry and help you, knowing that I've sinned while doing it.

“Suppose, when you arrive at home from this meeting, you find your neighbors have killed your horses and destroyed your property, how would you feel? You would feel like taking instant vengeance on the perpetrator of the deed. But it would be wrong for you to encourage the least particle of feeling to arise like anger, or revenge, or like taking judgement into your own hands, until the Lord shall say, ‘Judgment is yours, and for you to execute.’ When anger arises, … know that it arises in yourselves. …

“… Dismiss any spirit that would prompt you to injure any creature that the Lord has made, give it no place, encourage it not, and it will not stay where you are.” (Journal of Discourses, 2:134–35.)

Silas
captain of 1,000

Post by Silas »

Zathura wrote: October 4th, 2020, 11:40 am

I feel no need to address your post when Brigham Young already did.

Until is an important word in that statement. It means not before this condition is met but after it has been met.

The condition he set is that the Lord authorizes us to execute judgment. Once that is met you may proceed with your anger. And I agree with that. A man should govern his emotions. Bridle his passions. His passion whatever form it takes should go as directed rather than direct him. But I don’t care for anyone who wouldn’t fight for their family just so they can claim they are more pure than others.

Silas
captain of 1,000

Post by Silas »

Zathura wrote: October 4th, 2020, 12:08 pm

I won’t worship a God who would condemn me for protecting my family.

Alexander
the Great

Post by Alexander »

Luke wrote: October 4th, 2020, 12:00 pm I think we should draw a distinction between anger and righteous indignation

With anger, there is contention in your heart, which always leads to problems. With righteous indignation, there is upset in your heart—which is where the Saviour can help you
Good point.

Matthew 5:22
But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to his brother, 'Raca,' is answerable to the Sanhedrin. But anyone who says, 'You fool!' will be in danger of the fire of hell.

There is a complete difference of being angry at the individual and angry at wrongdoing and sin. Anger towards your brother is sin.

Zathura
Follow the Prophet

Post by Zathura »

Silas wrote: October 4th, 2020, 12:12 pm

Sound stood. I won't change God to fit my personal views. I have the scriptures before me. Anger is sin.

Silas
captain of 1,000

Post by Silas »

Zathura wrote: October 4th, 2020, 12:28 pm

Sound stood. I won't change God to fit my personal views. I have the scriptures before me. Anger is sin.
It’s not the scriptures or God that I have a problem with. Just how you interpret them and what you think he is.

Zathura
Follow the Prophet

Post by Zathura »

Silas wrote: October 4th, 2020, 1:36 pm

It’s not the scriptures or God that I have a problem with. Just how you interpret them and what you think he is.
Haha you’re the one laying out conditions for the type of God you’ll accept. Pick and chose, craft god out of your own likeness

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

What if I have angry feelings buy don't act on them, including making social statements promoting an angry lifestyle.

I used to feel guilt for feeling angry because other church members judged me. Now i know God loves me and there is a plan for me .

PDrockton.M.A.
captain of 100

Post by PDrockton.M.A. »

"It has been written an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth...but I say unto you...resist not evil. If a man compel thee to walk a mile... walk twain. If a man compel thee to give up thy coat, give him thy cloak as well."

If someone is hurting your child then stop them. But don't hate them. Pull the trigger if you have to... but pray that you never have to. You have a right to defend yourself and your family.

But... still rebuke the spirit of anger within you and don't take action based solely on its influence.

I am a man of Peace that has fought numerous battles against evil and conspiring men. I am not angry about the injustices. I forgave every one of the perps....

Just because something happened in the past doesn't mean it should control your present or your future.

Silas
captain of 1,000

Post by Silas »

Zathura wrote: October 4th, 2020, 1:54 pm
Silas wrote: October 4th, 2020, 1:36 pm

Haha you’re the one laying out conditions for the type of God you’ll accept. Pick and chose, craft god out of your own likeness
If you think it’s a sin to be angry about child rape then you’ve gone wrong.

Don’t allow your anger to control your behavior? Sure. Keep it in check? Definitely. Regain control over your emotions before deciding what to do? Absolutely.

Feel guilt over having natural feelings against an injustice? Nope. That’s all garbage.