Freedom & Faith Quotes

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Freedom & Faith Quotes

Post by Cruiserdude »

Thinker wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 12:02 am I was feeling discouraged, so I prayed & tried bibliomancy with the hymn book & opened to:
Hymn #240:
Know This, That Every Soul Is Free

Know this, that ev’ry soul is free
To choose his life and what he’ll be;
For this eternal truth is giv’n:
That God will force no man to heav’n.

He’ll call, persuade, direct aright,
And bless with wisdom, love, and light,
In nameless ways be good and kind,
But never force the human mind.

Freedom and reason make us men;
Take these away, what are we then?
Mere animals, and just as well
The beasts may think of heav’n or hell.

May we no more our pow’rs abuse,
But ways of truth and goodness choose;
Our God is pleased when we improve
His grace and seek his perfect love.”

Wow what powerful words

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Cruiserdude wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 3:05 am Wow what powerful words
Yeah! Despite growing up in the church, I never remember hearing or singing this hymn about us being FREE. I want to learn it.

https://youtu.be/kuP1ZmX_lgI

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God and Him Only shalt thou serve.

This scripture is a religious tenant to show we are not subject to the mandates and edicts or authority of anyone other than the Lord our God. It is a short but quotable religious tenant to function as a religious exemption from any mandate inspired by the devil.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Juliet wrote: November 24th, 2020, 7:14 am Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God and Him Only shalt thou serve.

This scripture is a religious tenant to show we are not subject to the mandates and edicts or authority of anyone other than the Lord our God. It is a short but quotable religious tenant to function as a religious exemption from any mandate inspired by the devil.
True! That’s a good one, thanks, Juliet.

Also... the 1st US Constitutional amendment affirms freedom of religion, peaceful assembly & free speech. And the 4th amendment states we have a right to our person - our bodies - so, mask enforcement is against the Constitution. US police officers swear oaths to uphold citizens Constitutional rights.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

INTEGRITY

Though the dungeon, the scourge, & the executioner be absent, the guilty mind can apply the goad & scorch with blows. - Lecretius

A wrongdoer is often a man who has left something undone, not always one who has done something. - Aurelius

All mankind… being all equal & independent, no one ought to harm another in his life, health, liberty or possessions. – Locke

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

Thinker wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 8:15 am INTEGRITY

Though the dungeon, the scourge, & the executioner be absent, the guilty mind can apply the goad & scorch with blows. - Lecretius

A wrongdoer is often a man who has left something undone, not always one who has done something. - Aurelius

All mankind… being all equal & independent, no one ought to harm another in his life, health, liberty or possessions. – Locke

Good old Zig. Some of the analogies and stories he used to teach certain things and principles have stayed with me for 20+ years.... Like his telling of the guy (or gal) that suffers from 'PLOM' disease (Poor Little Old Me) and how to make sure we don't fall into that trap.
Quick trip down memory lane with Zig 😁

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Cruiserdude wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 8:42 amGood old Zig. Some of the analogies and stories he used to teach certain things and principles have stayed with me for 20+ years.... Like his telling of the guy (or gal) that suffers from 'PLOM' disease (Poor Little Old Me) and how to make sure we don't fall into that trap.
Didn’t he kind of mentor Jim Rohn - or maybe they were both motivational speakers.

Here’s more for your memory lane... by Zig Ziglar:

”*F-E-A-R has two meanings: 'Forget Everything And Run' or 'Face Everything And Rise.' The choice is yours.

*If you learn from defeat, you haven’t really lost.

*People often say motivation doesn’t last. Neither does bathing—that’s why we recommend it daily. :lol:

*Rich people have small TVs and big libraries, and poor people have small libraries and big TVs.

*If you are not willing to learn no one can help you. If you are determined to learn no one can stop you.

*If you go out looking for friends, you’re going to find they are very scarce. If you go out to be a friend, you’ll find them everywhere.

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

Thinker wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 4:05 pm
Cruiserdude wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 8:42 amGood old Zig. Some of the analogies and stories he used to teach certain things and principles have stayed with me for 20+ years.... Like his telling of the guy (or gal) that suffers from 'PLOM' disease (Poor Little Old Me) and how to make sure we don't fall into that trap.
Didn’t he kind of mentor Jim Rohn - or maybe they were both motivational speakers.

Here’s more for your memory lane... by Zig Ziglar:

”*F-E-A-R has two meanings: 'Forget Everything And Run' or 'Face Everything And Rise.' The choice is yours.

*If you learn from defeat, you haven’t really lost.

*People often say motivation doesn’t last. Neither does bathing—that’s why we recommend it daily. :lol:

*Rich people have small TVs and big libraries, and poor people have small libraries and big TVs.

*If you are not willing to learn no one can help you. If you are determined to learn no one can stop you.

*If you go out looking for friends, you’re going to find they are very scarce. If you go out to be a friend, you’ll find them everywhere.
Excellent stuff!!! I love being reminded how awesome he is when people share his quotes... I even liked his videos, he's a good presenter. He's also a great teacher/coach and father and husband and human being 8-)

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

It’s often been the case that those who question dogma (unquestioned beliefs) are ridiculed. Some of us have already experienced this. It can be painful - especially when coming from loved ones. I take courage that others much more righteous than me, have also been put down...
  • ”He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not. - Isaiah 53
  • ”And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved.” - Matthew 10
Maybe we can dig within to return ridicule with patience & kindness. Assert and defend truth, but with love.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

FREEDOM

The [purpose] of law is not to abolish or restrain, but to preserve & enlarge freedom. – Locke

People don’t know the value of what they have until it is gone: Freedom suppressed & gain regained bits with keener fangs than freedom never endangered… Liberty is rendered even more precious by the recollection of servitude. Don’t wait ‘till freedom is gone before you enjoy, value, support, protect & make the most of it! – Cicero

Prudence is the knowledge of things to be sought, & those to be shunned. – Cicero

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

“To attain great honors, you have to struggle along a dangerous way. & even when you reach the top, there is envy which can strike you down like lightning into Tartarus. For envy, like lightning, generally strikes at the top or any point which sticks out from the ordinary level.” – Lecretius

“Great spirits have always encountered opposition from mediocre minds. Mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices & chooses instead to express his opinions courageously & honestly.” – Einstein

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

”Few men think, yet all will have opinions. Hence, men’s opinions are superficial & confused. – Locke

To be sane in a world of madmen is [considered] madness. - Rousseau

Live out your life in truth & justice, tolerant of those who are neither true nor just. – Aurelius

Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, & broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, & many there be which go in thereat: Because strait is the gate, & narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, & few there be that find it.” - Christ

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

”Fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul; but rather fear him which [can kill both].” – Christ

“Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.
Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.
Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.
Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy. Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake… Ye are the light of the world…
Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.” – Christ

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

truth.png
truth.png (313.55 KiB) Viewed 944 times

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Songs of freedom for our chocolate & vanilla brothers & sisters... :)

Let the people sing
https://youtu.be/lzwccsTH00I

Wavin’ Flag
https://youtu.be/4HgowvboL7U

Redemption Song:
https://youtu.be/yv5xonFSC4c

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

EmmaLee wrote: February 5th, 2021, 6:45 pmtruth.png
Great quote!

Along that line of thought...

TRUTH:
“Any open-minded search for truth requires courage, constancy & humility.” - HB Brown
“No man can hope to find out the truth without investigation.” - George F Richards
“If we value house, if we value lands, if we value good name, if we value life itself more than we do the truth, we are unworthy of the truth.” - GQ Cannon
“Searching for truth is an obligation.” - RL Evans

“People cannot change truth, but truth can change people.” - John H Vandenberg
“It is the business of man to find to spiritual meaning of earthly things.” - John A Widstoe
“I do not know a worse degree of slavery than to be afraid to think for yourself & speak what you believe.” - George Teasdale

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

Thinker wrote: March 4th, 2021, 11:40 am
EmmaLee wrote: February 5th, 2021, 6:45 pmtruth.png
Great quote!

Along that line of thought...

TRUTH:
“Any open-minded search for truth requires courage, constancy & humility.” - HB Brown
“No man can hope to find out the truth without investigation.” - George F Richards
“If we value house, if we value lands, if we value good name, if we value life itself more than we do the truth, we are unworthy of the truth.” - GQ Cannon
“Searching for truth is an obligation.” - RL Evans

“People cannot change truth, but truth can change people.” - John H Vandenberg
“It is the business of man to find to spiritual meaning of earthly things.” - John A Widstoe
“I do not know a worse degree of slavery than to be afraid to think for yourself & speak what you believe.” - George Teasdale
•“If we value house, if we value lands, if we value good name, if we value life itself more than we do the truth, we are unworthy of the truth.” - GQ Cannon

This quote!!! A thousand times over!
We have to hold fast to truth above all else.... or we're done for.

.... And you got that right on the Bob Marley music. 😎

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Cruiserdude wrote: March 4th, 2021, 12:39 pm •“If we value house, if we value lands, if we value good name, if we value life itself more than we do the truth, we are unworthy of the truth.” - GQ Cannon

This quote!!! A thousand times over!
We have to hold fast to truth above all else.... or we're done for.

.... And you got that right on the Bob Marley music. 😎
Thank you for pointing this out.

Thinking of how important but also how painful truth can be, is bringing tears to my eyes. There are all types of truths... spiritual, scientific, emotional, social, religious... etc. To really recognize new truth can be like being hit with a ton of bricks. It’s shocking to “see the spider in the room” - to see what was always there but just wasn’t in awareness before. Betrayal of self & others. I really think this is what the parable of Adam & Eve is about - taking from the tree of awareness of good & evil & recognizing our nakedness.

It’s so understandable to not want to see some truths. Some are just really hard to take. Most of us can barely manage line upon line... at least that is the case for me.

Glad you liked the Bob Marley song. Years ago, during my identity experiments, I went through a Reggae phase. I put my blond hair in a bunch of braids. A friend laughed when he saw me & said, “I can never figure out if you’re a preppy, stoner, raggea/rapper, country folk, Mormon goody-goody or what!” Always keep ‘em guessing! 😎😄

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

George Orwell:
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.”

onefour1
captain of 1,000

Post by onefour1 »

I have found the words to Dee Groberg's poem, "The Race" to be very faith promoting: you can find it here: THE RACE

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

onefour1 wrote: April 16th, 2021, 4:04 pm I have found the words to Dee Groberg's poem, "The Race" to be very faith promoting: you can find it here: THE RACE
I LOVE that!
Thank you.

I imagine Heavenly Dad believing in me despite falls...

”... “I’ve lost, so what’s the use,” he thought
“I’ll live with my disgrace.”
But then he thought about his dad
Who soon he’d have to face.

“Get up,” an echo sounded low.
“Get up and take your place;
You were not meant for failure here.
Get up and win the race.”

“With borrowed will get up,” it said,
“You haven’t lost at all.
For winning is no more than this:
To rise each time you fall.”

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

”Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.” - Joshua 1:9

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

“It is not the titles that honor men, but men that honor titles.”

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

ETB.png
ETB.png (580.97 KiB) Viewed 614 times