Freedom & Faith Quotes

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Freedom & Faith Quotes

Post by Thinker »

Niemand wrote: March 6th, 2022, 10:13 am Charles Fort was right about scientific culture…
Good quotes.
I think how quick people believe (scientists, political & religious leaders etc) points to the extremely strong tendency to have other gods before God - and tribalism.

There is strength in numbers! For good or bad. I recently had a disagreement with a TBM & soon after (that same day - yesterday) they got up to share testimony about their belief which we had just disagreed about. Maybe that is what testimony time is partly for - to help each other with confirmation bias. Looking within, I have done this at times coming on this forum. I’m trying to seek God’s confirmation above all - but I also struggle.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

madvin wrote: March 6th, 2022, 1:52 pm Virus Mania is a social disease of our highly developed society. To cure it will require conquering fear, fear being the most deadly contagious virus, most efficiently transmitted by the media.
So true!
A friend closer to the action in Ukraine understandably expressed fear. Though soaking up all the media doesn’t help.

I’ve noticed (& a psychologist pointed out) that those who act so fanatically about pressuring everyone in the world to take experimental shots/vexes, tend to be those who were already prone to fear (fear of death, of being socially shamed etc). Those are scary! But maybe this is where fear of God comes in - not as in being scared but in being more concerned with what God thinks than what others (even ourselves/fear) think.

I have felt the need to strengthen my faith & hope.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

“He that is kind is free, though he is a slave; he that is evil is a slave, though he be a king.” - Augustine

“The time is near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be free men or slaves.” - George Washington

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

I fail, I succeed, still my heart is set on the higher calling…
No matter your hardships, hold your head high, look upwards towards the heavens, there lies Divine help.
-Lailah Akita

For this storm was a storm that has made me brand new.
-Belinda Bland

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

JFK - inspiring words relevant today:
https://youtu.be/nc51usFzHBk

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

“90% of learning comes through encouragement.” -Kevin Thoman

Never give up hope. All things are working for your good. One day, you'll look back on everything you've been through and thank God for it. -Germany Kent

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Wisdom can come from odd places. Conan the Barbarian in this case. The internet is even worse for this.

The paradox here is that the reduction of physical violence leads to the increase of verbal violence. (Although there are some places where people are both rude and incredibly violent.)
"There is always a way, if the desire be coupled with courage,” answered the Cimmerian
They realize their ultimate doom, but they are fatalists, incapable of resistance or escape. Not one of the present generation has been out of sight of these walls.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Niemand wrote: May 19th, 2022, 4:35 pm…the reduction of physical violence leads to the increase of verbal violence. (Although there are some places where people are both rude and incredibly violent.)

["There is always a way, if the desire be coupled with courage,” answered the Cimmerian…

“They realize their ultimate doom, but they are fatalists, incapable of resistance or escape. Not one of the present generation has been out of sight of these walls.”
Good points & quotes.

I think God is the “Word” because God is (in part) the process of making chaotic feelings into more manageable words. Then those words expressed are battled (“wrestling God”) to be refined.

Re: those quotes…
  • ”You have the capability to change your life all with a simple shift in perspective.” -D Lovato
So much depends on perspective.
I came across the challenge of trying to look at a problem etc in 5 other different ways.
What do you think?
What are different perspectives to look at something?

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

“If you believe it will work out , you'll see opportunities. If you believe it won't you will see obstacles.” - Wayne Dyer

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

“By 3 methods we may learn wisdom:
First by reflection which is noblest;
2nd by imitation which is easiest;
& 3rd by experience which is bitterest.” - Confucius

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

You can get a thousand no's from people, and only one "yes" from God.
- Tyler Perry

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

“If you feel like giving up, give up on that feeling and give into the realization there are endless possibilities waiting to be discovered before you.” -Tom Althouse

FrankOne
captain of 1,000

Post by FrankOne »

Be the miracle. Someone must do it so that others may know that the impossible IS possible. Arise and follow Christ.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Let’s increase our faith in GOoD!

”There is no such thing as a lack of faith. We all have plenty of faith, it's just that we have faith in the wrong things. We have faith in what can't be done rather than what can be done. We have faith in lack rather than abundance but there is no lack of faith. Faith is a law." ~ Eric Butterworth

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

“Renewal requires opening yourself up to new ways of thinking and feeling.” -D. Day

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Today, I kept having parts of this song in my mind - & I hadn’t heard it for a while so I think it was needed. Maybe someone else needs it too…

That’s what Faith Can Do
https://youtu.be/LR6-B_nI8g4

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

School prepares children to live in a world which doesn't exist.
Attachments
Screenshot_20220929-105552_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220929-105552_Chrome.jpg (123.43 KiB) Viewed 469 times

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Niemand wrote: September 29th, 2022, 3:59 am School prepares children to live in a world which doesn't exist.
That’s a sweeping, illogical generalization.

Like saying “Educating a child prepares children to live in a world which doesn't exist.” SOME teachers, some curriculum & some schools may not be helpful. But all? No. I have taught my kids Summer School in which I specifically try to teach what I think they are missing in school & church to prepare them for the real world. (Eg: viewtopic.php?p=609493&hilit=Memorize#p609493)

Parents are children’s 1st and most impactful teachers. They are responsible for nourishing a relationship with their kids in which there is open communication - so if some imperfect human being says or does something wrong, it can be corrected. Parents who shield children from the world prepare children to live in a world which doesn't exist.

PS. No kids right? Did you go to boarding school? If so, I could see more truth in that quote, but might that skew your view on this?

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Thinker wrote: September 29th, 2022, 7:45 am
Niemand wrote: September 29th, 2022, 3:59 am School prepares children to live in a world which doesn't exist.
That’s a sweeping, illogical generalization.

Like saying “Educating a child prepares children to live in a world which doesn't exist.” SOME teachers, some curriculum & some schools may not be helpful. But all? No. I have taught my kids Summer School in which I specifically try to teach what I think they are missing in school & church to prepare them for the real world. (Eg: viewtopic.php?p=609493&hilit=Memorize#p609493)

Parents are children’s 1st and most impactful teachers. They are responsible for nourishing a relationship with their kids in which there is open communication - so if some imperfect human being says or does something wrong, it can be corrected. Parents who shield children from the world prepare children to live in a world which doesn't exist.

PS. No kids right? Did you go to boarding school? If so, I could see more truth in that quote, but might that skew your view on this?
From what I've seen it applies to both state and private schools round here. Even the Steiner schools to some extent, although Steiner attempts something different and gets certain things right.

It applies to both boarding and day schools. I know plenty of people who have been to boarding schools, both the usual private variety and also state run ones (some places in the north of Scotland like the west Highlands or Shetland have state run boarding schools). A substantial number of them go off and join the military because there are similarities (24/7 routine, shared rooms and spartan conditions). It doesn't prepare them well for civvy life unless they go off to work on the offshore oil rigs. Those schools have been riddled with bullying and sexual abuse too.

You'll notice I don't say "public school" — that's because the term can have a different meaning in these parts. But the state/local authority education here has UMPTEEN problems and it has got worse since I left. My god daughter, who is in her late teens, left school just before lockdown and I really wonder what if anything it taught here. She is only semi-literate. The entire curriculum is at the whims of the government.

Since you've asked I could tell you a number of things that schools fail on round here. Some schools are better than others.

* Many pupils can't read, write or add properly when they leave.
* The careers guidance is not appropriate. Some schools (especially private) are mainly geared to send people to university rather than getting them into work. Colleges are left to do that. I was not well prepared for job interviews and had to learn the hard way.
* They tend to be poor in many useful subject areas – foreign languages, science, computing, music – although some pupils succeed. (I learnt more German in six months outside school than I learnt of French in years of school classes.)
* The hierarchies in the schools don't tend to resemble life outside.
* They don't teach skills such as driving, usually don't teach cookery now (but used to), barely teach budgeting and so on.

There were also a number of weird cultural and psychological aspects that are too long to go into but which didn't resemble life.

Useful stuff I got out of school? Probably maths, learning how to swim, First Aid, learning that many authority figures don't tend to care about you, some friends (although I very rarely have anything to do with any of them nowadays), learning to tie my shoe laces... but on the whole not very much. My work life hasn't resembled my school life much at all... nor has my adult life outside the workplace.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

“We didn’t love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation. ” - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

How do we get awareness of the “real” situation? Maybe the issue is not just lacking love of freedom & awareness… but especially ENOUGH people willing to look at the ugly underbelly & ENOUGH people to stand for freedom… enough people willing to be the odd one to lead in more logical ways of integrity.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Niemand wrote: September 29th, 2022, 10:51 amFrom what I've seen it applies to both state and private schools round here. Even the Steiner schools to some extent, although Steiner attempts something different and gets certain things right.

It applies to both boarding and day schools. I know plenty of people who have been to boarding schools, both the usual private variety and also state run ones (some places in the north of Scotland like the west Highlands or Shetland have state run boarding schools). A substantial number of them go off and join the military because there are similarities (24/7 routine, shared rooms and spartan conditions). It doesn't prepare them well for civvy life unless they go off to work on the offshore oil rigs. Those schools have been riddled with bullying and sexual abuse too.

You'll notice I don't say "public school" — that's because the term can have a different meaning in these parts. But the state/local authority education here has UMPTEEN problems and it has got worse since I left. My god daughter, who is in her late teens, left school just before lockdown and I really wonder what if anything it taught here. She is only semi-literate. The entire curriculum is at the whims of the government.

Since you've asked I could tell you a number of things that schools fail on round here. Some schools are better than others.

* The careers guidance is not appropriate. Some schools (especially private) are mainly geared to send people to university rather than getting them into work. Colleges are left to do that. I was not well prepared for job interviews and had to learn the hard way.
* They tend to be poor in many useful subject areas – foreign languages, science, computing, music – although some pupils succeed. (I learnt more German in six months outside school than I learnt of French in years of school classes.)
* They don't teach skills such as driving, usually don't teach cookery now (but used to), barely teach budgeting and so on.

There were also a number of weird cultural and psychological aspects that are too long to go into but which didn't resemble life.

Useful stuff I got out of school? Probably maths, learning how to swim, First Aid, learning that many authority figures don't tend to care about you, some friends (although I very rarely have anything to do with any of them nowadays), learning to tie my shoe laces... but on the whole not very much. My work life hasn't resembled my school life much at all... nor has my adult life outside the workplace.
I acknowledge there are definitely important missing aspects that should be taught in schools, but often are not. However, as you hinted at, schools do teach a lot… so I don’t see any need to dismiss them as entirely useless. Look at people who never went to school - (ie in some poor countries where schooling was a luxury) most cannot read or write & struggle a lot. Education has been found to be statistically correlated with happiness.

”… Overall, the results suggest that more educated people, on average, are happier than their less educated counterparts…” http://borisnikolaev.com/wp-content/upl ... ness_f.pdf

Sure, it isn’t perfect - but many people have access to various resources (libraries, www, etc) to supplement. Again, to suggest school is completely useless is an illogical, sweeping generalization. Most schools offer plenty of good that at least give some knowledge & skills to be able to learn more.

Re: your list of school failures in your area (Scotland?)…

*Most students I know in my area (US) & where I’ve lived before can read & write well & rapidly. In some pocket areas like urban Maryland, it’s not so great. But most I know of in the states I’ve lived in - are literarily competent upon high school graduation.

*Most schools (in the US) offer vocational training for job entry. Eg., I did this, as have my kids.

*High schools offer foreign languages but I wish elementary schools would. Some do (we had to drive a bit though & then they stopped).

*I suppose it depends on the school & job - but a lot of jobs definitely have hierarchal evaluations & positions.

*I was & my kids were taught all of those things through school.

Previously I imagined the land of Cambridge & University of Edinburgh etc… was cream of the crop… the origin of all academia. But you make it sound inferior. Maybe just your area… &/or only recently? Maybe I was mistaken.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Thinker wrote: September 29th, 2022, 3:18 pm
Niemand wrote: September 29th, 2022, 10:51 amFrom what I've seen it applies to both state and private schools round here. Even the Steiner schools to some extent, although Steiner attempts something different and gets certain things right.

I acknowledge there are definitely important missing aspects that should be taught in schools, but often are not. However, as you hinted at, schools do teach a lot… so I don’t see any need to dismiss them as entirely useless. Look at people who never went to school - (ie in some poor countries where schooling was a luxury) most cannot read or write & struggle a lot. Education has been found to be statistically correlated with happiness.

”… Overall, the results suggest that more educated people, on average, are happier than their less educated counterparts…” http://borisnikolaev.com/wp-content/upl ... ness_f.pdf

Sure, it isn’t perfect - but many people have access to various resources (libraries, www, etc) to supplement. Again, to suggest school is completely useless is an illogical, sweeping generalization. Most schools offer plenty of good that at least give some knowledge & skills to be able to learn more.

Re: your list of school failures in your area (Scotland?)…

*Most students I know in my area (US) & where I’ve lived before can read & write well & rapidly. In some pocket areas like urban Maryland, it’s not so great. But most I know of in the states I’ve lived in - are literarily competent upon high school graduation.

*Most schools (in the US) offer vocational training for job entry. Eg., I did this, as have my kids.

*High schools offer foreign languages but I wish elementary schools would. Some do (we had to drive a bit though & then they stopped).

*I suppose it depends on the school & job - but a lot of jobs definitely have hierarchal evaluations & positions.

*I was & my kids were taught all of those things through school.

Previously I imagined the land of Cambridge & University of Edinburgh etc… was cream of the crop… the origin of all academia. But you make it sound inferior. Maybe just your area… &/or only recently? Maybe I was mistaken.
A hundred years ago Scottish education was the envy of the world. We churned out engineers, doctors and inventors, and not all from the richer end of society. We were the best educated part of the UK by far, and the rest of the UK was better than most of the world.

Then they started closing rural schools, ideology entered the curriculum and they kept "moving about the chairs". Renaming things, constantly altering them so that the education system here went into decline. One upside is that they now recognise ADHD, autism, dyslexia etc now, and don't try and force left handed children to switch (I think this happened with my father.)

One major fault was quite simple – Scottish education both then and now taught us very little about our own culture and languages. But I agree with Camus here that even a century ago, outside the hard sciences and maths it wasn't preparing most of us for the world.

Nowadays, i look at our schools and weep. I read a Tweet from my local primary (elementary) recently reproducing an essay from a little girl which was promoting gender diversity. My local high school is now flooded with numerous children who can barely speak English because they've only recently arrived from wherever, and not because they've strong Scottish accents. They occasionally use the same bus as me (although I try and avoid it) and the local council also boasts how many languages their pupils speak. One of my friends is very pro-mass immigration but I asked her how exactly such high school children are supposed to learn most subjects... she replied "Oh but we must take in refugees." So I repeated the question and asked her how they are supposed to be taught physics, chemistry or geography when they're still struggling with basic phrases! It would be manageable if there were a few kids like this but there are a lot. Sometimes I hear some from different language backgrounds talking to each other like an Iranian to a Somali but the conversation level is basic.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

Niemand wrote: May 19th, 2022, 4:35 pm Wisdom can come from odd places. Conan the Barbarian in this case. The internet is even worse for this.

The paradox here is that the reduction of physical violence leads to the increase of verbal violence. (Although there are some places where people are both rude and incredibly violent.)
"There is always a way, if the desire be coupled with courage,” answered the Cimmerian
They realize their ultimate doom, but they are fatalists, incapable of resistance or escape. Not one of the present generation has been out of sight of these walls.
A variation of this is the cliché that the most polite people you will ever meet are those you mingle with at a gun show. From my experience, this seems to be the case.