Freedom & Faith Quotes

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Freedom & Faith Quotes

Post by EmmaLee »

12.png
12.png (171.08 KiB) Viewed 651 times

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

image (00D).png
image (00D).png (117.51 KiB) Viewed 651 times

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

I awoke, only to see that the rest of the world is still asleep. – da Vinci

I must be cruel, only to be kind. – Shakespeare

To convince someone of the truth, it is not enough to state it, but rather one must find the path from error to truth. – Wittgenstein

If the truth were self-evident, eloquence would be unnecessary. – Cicero

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

“God of our life, there are days when the burdens we carry chafe our shoulders and weigh us down; when the road seems dreary and endless, the skies gray and threatening; when our lives have no music in them, and our hearts are lonely, and our souls have lost their courage.

Flood the path with light, run our eyes to where the skies are full of promise; tune our hearts to brave music; give us the sense of comradeship with heroes and saints of every age; and so quicken our spirits that we may be able to encourage the souls of all who journey with us on the road of life, to your honor and glory.”
-Saint Augustine

I hope & pray we all can be encouraged. 🙏💫

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

”How far that little candle throws its beams! So shines a good deed in a naughty world.” – Shakespeare

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

”At the moment of commitment, the entire universe conspires to assist you. - Goethe

Just realized there’s another similar (older) thread: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=23265&p=298048&hil ... es#p298048

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

"Almost all people are hypnotics. The proper authority saw to it that the proper belief should be induced, and the people believed properly." - Charles Fort

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

The forest kept getting smaller and smaller, but the trees kept choosing the axe for their leader. He told them he was strong, and he was one of them, because his handle was made of wood.- Anon

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

”Love that shines from within cannot be darkened by obstacles of the world of consequences!” - Pythagoras

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

“The time is near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be free men or slaves.” - George Washington

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

"Morality is doing what is right, no matter what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, no matter what is right." -- H. L. Mencken

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Quotes from Barbour's poem the Bruce with modern translation
And certis me think well that ye
Forout abasing aucht to be
Worthy and of gret vasselagis
For we haff thre gret avantagis
The fyrst is that we haf the rycht
And for the rycht ay God will fycht.
The tother is that thai cummyn ar
For lyppynyng off thar gret powar
To sek us in our awne land,
And has brocht her rycht till our hand

Ryches into sa gret quantité
That the pourest of you sall be
Bath rych and mychty tharwithall
Giff that we wyne, as weill may fall.
The thrid is that we for our lyvis
And for our childer and for our wyyis
And for our fredome and for our land
Ar strenyeit in bataill for to stand
And I sure think well that ye
Without abasement ought to be
Worthy, and of great prowess;
For in three ways we have the edge:
The first is, that right is on our side
And God will always fight for the right.
The second is, they have come here
Trusting in their great power
To seek us in our own land;
And have brought here, right to our hands

Riches in such great plenty
That the poorest of you shall be
Both rich and powerful as well,
If we win, as well may happen.
The third is that for our lives
And for our children and our wives
And for our freedom and for our land
We are bound to stand in battle.
--------------
Hap to vencus this gret bataill.
In your handys without faile
Ye ber honour price and riches
Fredome welsh and blythnes
Giff you contene you manlely,
And the contrar all halily
Sall fall giff ye lat cowardys
And wykytnes your hertis suppris.
Ye mycht have lyvyt into threldome,
Bot for ye yarnyt till have fredome
Ye ar assemblyt her with me,
Tharfor is nedfull that ye be
Worthy and wycht but abaysing ...
Perchance we win this great battle.
In your hands, without fail,
You bear honour, reputation and riches
Freedom, wealth and happiness,
If you carry yourselves like men;
And exactly the opposite
Will befall if you let cowardice
And wickedness take over your hearts.
You could have lived in serfdom,
But, because you yearned to have freedom
You are assembled here with me;
Therefore is needful that you be
Strong and bold and without fear
‐------------

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

“I will tell you that I am a child of the century, a child of disbelief and doubt. I will remain so until the grave. How much terrible torture this thirst for faith has cost me and costs me even now which is all the stronger in my soul the more arguments I can find against it. And yet God sends me sometimes instants when I am completely calm. At those instants I love and feel loved by others and it is at those instants that I have shaped for myself a Credo where everything is clear and sacred to me. This credo is very simple. Here it is: To believe that nothing is more beautiful, profound, sympathetic, reasonable, manly, and perfect than Christ.” -
Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

The ancient Greek historian Thucydides

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Niemand wrote: February 14th, 2022, 6:16 pm Image
I love these quotes! Thanks, Niemand.

I wonder about the meaning of that ^ one. Love may be joy/gratitude- really appreciating the reality & real good, to add a little rather than subtract. But often people seem oblivious as to whether they add or subtract to someone. I have too - not realized fully at the time, what someone was going through so at the time, said or did things that made their suffering worse, even though I was trying to make it better. And we each have subtracted to ourselves. Loving oneself is part of the greatest commandments but is probably hardest since we know all our flaws. But I think as Jung suggested, the more we know, understand & care for ourselves, the better we can for others. I also like ideas from Richard Bach…

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Thinker wrote: February 20th, 2022, 7:33 am
Niemand wrote: February 14th, 2022, 6:16 pm Image
I love these quotes! Thanks, Niemand.

I wonder about the meaning of that ^ one. Love may be joy/gratitude- really appreciating the reality & real good, to add a little rather than subtract. But often people seem oblivious as to whether they add or subtract to someone. I have too - not realized fully at the time, what someone was going through so at the time, said or did things that made their suffering worse, even though I was trying to make it better. And we each have subtracted to ourselves. Loving oneself is part of the greatest commandments but is probably hardest since we know all our flaws. But I think as Jung suggested, the more we know, understand & care for ourselves, the better we can for others. I also like ideas from Richard Bach…

It's a translation but if the English is accurate, my take is that it applies to all things, not just people but our relationship to God, nature even music. If you just hate everything, including yourself, you're in Hell like some of these rockstars.

Loving yourself is the most misunderstood thing. We often confuse it with selfishness which is a toxic form of self-love.

I quoted Dostoyevsky today in a talk - "without God everything is permissible", to explain how removing God from society is a bad thing. Someone thought I was talking about crime, I was really talking about free will... and how without God, people can a) justify anything and b) see people as soulless robots which leads to disaster.

I agree with that Bach quote (although again it could be misinterpreted) - there is shallow love and jealous love and all the rest.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Niemand wrote: February 20th, 2022, 7:58 amIt's a translation but if the English is accurate, my take is that it applies to all things, not just people but our relationship to God, nature even music. If you just hate everything, including yourself, you're in Hell like some of these rockstars.

Loving yourself is the most misunderstood thing. We often confuse it with selfishness which is a toxic form of self-love.

I quoted Dostoyevsky today in a talk - "without God everything is permissible", to explain how removing God from society is a bad thing. Someone thought I was talking about crime, I was really talking about free will... and how without God, people can a) justify anything and b) see people as soulless robots which leads to disaster.

I agree with that Bach quote (although again it could be misinterpreted) - there is shallow love and jealous love and all the rest.
Good points.
Among many aspects, God represents to us the highest GOoD - a set of hierarchal values from which to make decisions etc.

Today, my son said I never answered his question, “If God is all-knowing, & knows all we’ll do, then how can there be free will”? I did answer before but not to his liking. :)

I suggested that we don’t know all about God (all perspectives) & God represents all truth & may be all knowing & powerful with the exception of human will. That’s all we have to offer God. And I explained how probabilities aren’t definite, & that’s how predicting the future can work sometimes, but people always have choice. And even if somehow God does know our choices ahead of time as if deterministic, to believe in & act as if free agency was a fact, makes for a better world than not.

How would you answer that?

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Thinker wrote: February 20th, 2022, 6:38 pm
Niemand wrote: February 20th, 2022, 7:58 amIt's a translation but if the English is accurate, my take is that it applies to all things, not just people but our relationship to God, nature even music. If you just hate everything, including yourself, you're in Hell like some of these rockstars.

Good points.
Among many aspects, God represents to us the highest GOoD - a set of hierarchal values from which to make decisions etc.

Today, my son said I never answered his question, “If God is all-knowing, & knows all we’ll do, then how can there be free will”? I did answer before but not to his liking. :)

I suggested that we don’t know all about God (all perspectives) & God represents all truth & may be all knowing & powerful with the exception of human will. That’s all we have to offer God. And I explained how probabilities aren’t definite, & that’s how predicting the future can work sometimes, but people always have choice. And even if somehow God does know our choices ahead of time as if deterministic, to believe in & act as if free agency was a fact, makes for a better world than not.

How would you answer that?
This is an age old question. I actually don't think free will and determinism are mutually exclusive.

However, even with free will, we are like loaded dice - or may be better, bowling balls - and do have certain tendencies and biases. You can bet next year, for example that some people will be corrupt and tyrannical and that others will be kind, because those two tendencies have always been with us. I can choose tomorrow to take a bus, or to walk, and those two choices will be based on the weather (out of my control), my health (partly in my control), what the bus does (out of my control but under someone else's free will) and how much time I have (largely under my control.)

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Niemand wrote: February 21st, 2022, 3:55 amThis is an age old question. I actually don't think free will and determinism are mutually exclusive.

However, even with free will, we are like loaded dice - or may be better, bowling balls - and do have certain tendencies and biases. You can bet next year, for example that some people will be corrupt and tyrannical and that others will be kind, because those two tendencies have always been with us. I can choose tomorrow to take a bus, or to walk, and those two choices will be based on the weather (out of my control), my health (partly in my control), what the bus does (out of my control but under someone else's free will) and how much time I have (largely under my control.)
I like how you think!
What I love about forums is the different perspectives. It all depends on perspective! I mean, what is concluded, believed & acted on - depends on point of view. How much better we’d live up to our unique potentials if we took time to consider which part is our own response-ability, which is others,’ & which is beyond anyone’s control.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Charles Fort was right about scientific culture.

madvin
captain of 1,000

Post by madvin »

Virus Mania is a social disease of our highly developed society. To cure it will require conquering fear, fear being the most deadly contagious virus, most efficiently transmitted by the media.