Should we celebrate Hanukkah?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.

Yes
40%
No
60%

Total votes: 43
Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

"I am the light of the world"

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Should we celebrate Hanukkah?

Post by Robin Hood »

It's not biblical, so no.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

Robin Hood wrote: August 22nd, 2020, 3:45 am It's not biblical, so no.
Must we be compelled in all things?

Besides:
  • John 10

22 And it was at Jerusalem the feast of the dedication, and it was winter.
    23 And Jesus walked in the temple in Solomon's porch.
    24 Then came the Jews round about him, and said unto him, How long dost thou make us to doubt? If thou be the Christ, tell us plainly.
    25 Jesus answered them, I told you, and ye believed not: the works that I do in my Father's name, they bear witness of me.
    26 But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you.
    27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
    28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
    29 My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.
    30 I and my Father are one.
Jesus declares His deity on Hanukkah--the feast of the dedication (also known as the festival of lights). Why? Maybe because He is the light of the world...

Jesus is in Jerusalem at the Temple during Hanukkah. This is pretty significant and suggests that He celebrated it

Plus, it's in the Apocrypha (1 and 2 Maccabees), which the Lord approves of in D&C 91

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

By that logic we shouldn’t celebrate The Queen’s birthday or July 4th or Canada Day or Australia Day or any other civil holiday.

By the way the only reason Hanukkah isn’t in your bible is because First and Second Maccabees are not found in the KJV. You should secure a Catholic version of the Bible to get those and other additional books.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

gkearney wrote: August 22nd, 2020, 5:56 am
By that logic we shouldn’t celebrate The Queen’s birthday or July 4th or Canada Day or Australia Day or any other civil holiday.

By the way the only reason Hanukkah isn’t in your bible is because First and Second Maccabees are not found in the KJV. You should secure a Catholic version of the Bible to get those and other additional books.
I don't celebrate any of those things.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Luke wrote: August 22nd, 2020, 4:25 am
Yes... I'm a lazy bugger. 😉

Alexander
the Great
Location: amongst the brotherhood of the Black Robed Regiment; cocked hat and cocked rifle

Post by Alexander »

I mean it’s better than our Santa winter solstice consumerism Christmas.

I celebrate feast of trumpets and Passover.

Lexew1899
captain of 1,000

Post by Lexew1899 »

I always liked Judas Maccabeus. Allowing his people to enter into the temple again should be in our Bible, but is at least in the Apocrypha with First book of Maccabees and Second. I would say the miracle of the oil is actually second, in terms of importance to the story of Maccabeus. The fact that they recaptured the temple is more important. It became a forerunner for Christ's mission as well, since many things of his life centered around going to the temple, for one reason or another. So without a doubt it is of religious significance and should be celebrated, if you love Jesus Christ.

AnotherLDSPatriot
captain of 100

Post by AnotherLDSPatriot »

I'm sure that some of us have celebrated the Passover feast, typically with somebody explaining what each step represented and why. What one chooses to celebrate is their own choice. As noted above, Hannukah is not in our King James Bible, which we know is lacking in completeness and in clarity; some changes are accidental, some were introduced thinking it would help, and other changes were malicious. There are other books out there.

Anyway, sure ... celebrate Hanukkah. Understand it.

On the lighter side, there's this bit by Tom Lehrer from the mid 60s on celebrating Hanukkah in Santa Monica ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LslsgH3-UFU.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

You should celebrate only whatever you personally want to celebrate.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

1 & 2 Maccabees were in the KJV and still are in some cases. Depends which edition. Jesus does celebrate Hanukah in the NT though.

1 Maccabees
viewtopic.php?t=69454

2 Maccabees
viewtopic.php?p=1347024

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

gkearney wrote: August 22nd, 2020, 5:56 am By that logic we shouldn’t celebrate The Queen’s birthday or July 4th or Canada Day or Australia Day or any other civil holiday.

Hanukah is mentioned in the New Testament, in John 10, so we don't even need to reach for the books of Maccabees. It appears Jesus was celebrating it. I've written a wee thread on it:
viewtopic.php?p=1449226#p1449226
AnotherLDSPatriot wrote: August 23rd, 2020, 6:49 am As noted above, Hannukah is not in our King James Bible, which we know is lacking in completeness and in clarity; some changes are accidental, some were introduced thinking it would help, and other changes were malicious. There are other books out there.
Actually it is, in John 10.22.
Hanukkah means dedication in Hebrew.

The original edition of the KJV also contained 1 Maccabees, and it was to be found in KJV Bibles for over a century after that. The Smith family would have known of it, because their KJV contained those books.
Last edited by Niemand on December 24th, 2023, 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TheChristian
captain of 100

Post by TheChristian »

The Apostle Paul says....

"One person esteems one day above another;
another esteems every day alike.
Let each be fully convinced in his own mind.
He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord;
and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it."

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

TheChristian wrote: December 24th, 2023, 2:45 pm The Apostle Paul says....

"One person esteems one day above another;
another esteems every day alike.
Let each be fully convinced in his own mind.
He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord;
and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it."
It appears Jesus, among other things observed Passover, Sukkot and Hanukkah, at least according to what is to be found in the New Testament.

gradles21
captain of 1,000

Post by gradles21 »

Yes, but only to get back at the Jews for subverting Christmas.
https://www.bitchute.com/video/c7fxH4w8abrO/ via BitChute

A Disciple
captain of 100

Post by A Disciple »

Whose paying?

As a kid Hanukkah sounded cool. Made me a little jealous of my classmates that had 8 crazy nights. As a parent it sounds exhausting!

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

I try to be logically consistent. I don't celebrate any of those.

ithink
captain of 1,000

Post by ithink »

Luke wrote: August 22nd, 2020, 1:49 am "I am the light of the world"
Who said that?

ithink
captain of 1,000

Post by ithink »

Besides:
  • John 10

24 Then came the Jews round about him, and said unto him, How long dost thou make us to doubt? If thou be the Christ, tell us plainly.
    25 Jesus answered them, I told you, and ye believed not: the works that I do in my Father's name, they bear witness of me.
    28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
    29 My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.
Jesus declares His deity on Hanukkah--the feast of the dedication (also known as the festival of lights). Why? Maybe because He is the light of the world...

Jesus is in Jerusalem at the Temple during Hanukkah. This is pretty significant and suggests that He celebrated it

Plus, it's in the Apocrypha (1 and 2 Maccabees), which the Lord approves of in D&C 91
And the identity of the god of the OT still eludes you.

The OT.
The NT.
What of it?

Sad so few have even a clue what is going on.

kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by kirtland r.m. »

Hanukkah celebrated when it is along with the newer, adopted custom of giving gifts, is, along with the 1960's invention of Quanza days after Christmas ,merely done to detract from Christmas and Jesus Christ in the Western World and as such it is a thinly veiled smokescreen.
Last edited by kirtland r.m. on December 24th, 2023, 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

Robin Hood wrote: December 24th, 2023, 3:55 pm
So you alway go into work on the Kings Birthday and Boxing Day do you?

Bronco73idi
captain of 1,000

Post by Bronco73idi »

ithink wrote: December 24th, 2023, 5:19 pm

Besides:
  • John 10

And the identity of the god of the OT still eludes you.

The OT.
The NT.
What of it?

Sad so few have even a clue what is going on.
Enlighten us.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

gkearney wrote: December 24th, 2023, 6:05 pm
Robin Hood wrote: December 24th, 2023, 3:55 pm

So you alway go into work on the Kings Birthday and Boxing Day do you?
The King's birthday is not a national holiday. Most people work. In fact I have no idea when it is.
Boxing Day is an official Bank (public) Holiday, so my workplace is closed. However, I don't "celebrate" it. And many people do work that day, especially in the retail sector.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

gkearney wrote: December 24th, 2023, 6:05 pm So you alway go into work on the Kings Birthday and Boxing Day do you?
The King's Birthday isn't a major event. In fact, it can pass you by without even noticing it. It has less prominence than Remembrance Day or Easter, which you will see signs of in the shops and streets

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

Niemand wrote: December 25th, 2023, 2:02 am
gkearney wrote: December 24th, 2023, 6:05 pm So you alway go into work on the Kings Birthday and Boxing Day do you?
The King's Birthday isn't a major event. In fact, it can pass you by without even noticing it. It has less prominence than Remembrance Day or Easter, which you will see signs of in the shops and streets
The Kings Birthday is a major national holiday in Australia of course Australia is the land of the public holiday