President Nelson- "fasten your seatbelt, hang on through the bumps"

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Primary Outcast
captain of 100

President Nelson- "fasten your seatbelt, hang on through the bumps"

Post by Primary Outcast »

President Nelson posted this to his facebook page aug 5th. I haven't seen anyone talk about this on the forum yet, so I thought I'd share:

As we are now many months into the COVID-19 pandemic, I thought I might share some of what I have learned. I have felt great sorrow about this pandemic. I have mourned with families who have lost loved ones. Many have lost jobs. Some have struggled to find adequate food and supplies. Graduation ceremonies, marriages, and funerals have been canceled or postponed or altered in some way. I feel great compassion for all who have suffered.
At the same time, Wendy and I have learned so much. Even through clouds of sorrow, we have found some silver linings. Many families have re-enthroned their homes as sanctuaries of faith. Many better understand how important the family is and that it really is ordained of God, with an eternal destiny.
We’ve also learned fear, isolation, and loss can be mitigated by immersing oneself in caring for other people. Countless healthcare professionals have risked their own lives to care for others. Farmers, pharmacists, truckers, grocers, and others have risked their own health to serve the urgent needs of others.
Dear friends, the road ahead may be bumpy, but our destination is serene and secure. So, fasten your seatbelt, hang on through the bumps, and do what's right. Your reward will be eternal. In 1831 the Lord made a promise to his Saints. It still applies to each of us today:
“Wherefore, be of good cheer, and do not fear, for I the Lord am with you, and will stand by you; and ye shall bear record of me, even Jesus Christ, that I am the Son of the living God, that I was, that I am, and that I am to come” (Doctrine and Covenants 68:6).

Alexander
the Great
Location: amongst the brotherhood of the Black Robed Regiment; cocked hat and cocked rifle

Re: President Nelson- "fasten your seatbelt, hang on through the bumps"

Post by Alexander »

The “seat-belt” scenario he presents is an interesting one. It assumes the coming issues are but small bumps. What does it mean to buckle up? What does it mean to do what is right? The vague language of Nelson continues further.

This reminds me of one of his previous messages, that “wonderful days are ahead”.

Is he aware of the coming destruction and danger? Will it be enough to simply plug along the trail with our seatbelts fastened? This attitude asks us to be passive.

I like the scripture he referenced. Do we understand what it means to have the Lord stand in our midst? Does Nelson understand what this scripture means? Do we see what it hints at? Do we know what it means to know of a surety that Jesus is the Christ?

Will we not repent? Our country is on the verge of collapse! The secret combinations have infiltrated everything!

The Bloviator
captain of 100

Post by The Bloviator »

Primary Outcast wrote: August 10th, 2020, 10:56 am President Nelson posted this to his facebook page aug 5th. I haven't seen anyone talk about this on the forum yet, so I thought I'd share:

As we are now many months into the COVID-19 pandemic, I thought I might share some of what I have learned. I have felt great sorrow about this pandemic. I have mourned with families who have lost loved ones. Many have lost jobs. Some have struggled to find adequate food and supplies. Graduation ceremonies, marriages, and funerals have been canceled or postponed or altered in some way. I feel great compassion for all who have suffered.
At the same time, Wendy and I have learned so much. Even through clouds of sorrow, we have found some silver linings. Many families have re-enthroned their homes as sanctuaries of faith. Many better understand how important the family is and that it really is ordained of God, with an eternal destiny.
We’ve also learned fear, isolation, and loss can be mitigated by immersing oneself in caring for other people. Countless healthcare professionals have risked their own lives to care for others. Farmers, pharmacists, truckers, grocers, and others have risked their own health to serve the urgent needs of others.
Dear friends, the road ahead may be bumpy, but our destination is serene and secure. So, fasten your seatbelt, hang on through the bumps, and do what's right. Your reward will be eternal. In 1831 the Lord made a promise to his Saints. It still applies to each of us today:
“Wherefore, be of good cheer, and do not fear, for I the Lord am with you, and will stand by you; and ye shall bear record of me, even Jesus Christ, that I am the Son of the living God, that I was, that I am, and that I am to come” (Doctrine and Covenants 68:6).
I think we should fasten our seatbelts for the posters that are getting ready to bash President Nelson..............and now!

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

The Bloviator wrote: August 10th, 2020, 12:03 pm I think we should fasten our seatbelts for the posters that are getting ready to bash President Nelson..............and now!
A bit hasty and cynical my guy

The Bloviator
captain of 100

Post by The Bloviator »

Luke wrote: August 10th, 2020, 12:06 pm
The Bloviator wrote: August 10th, 2020, 12:03 pm I think we should fasten our seatbelts for the posters that are getting ready to bash President Nelson..............and now!
We shall see.

Mark
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Mark »

Alexander wrote: August 10th, 2020, 11:58 am The “seat-belt” scenario he presents is an interesting one. It assumes the coming issues are but small bumps. What does it mean to buckle up? What does it mean to do what is right? The vague language of Nelson continues further.

This reminds me of one of his previous messages, that “wonderful days are ahead”.

Is he aware of the coming destruction and danger? Will it be enough to simply plug along the trail with our seatbelts fastened? This attitude asks us to be passive.

I like the scripture he referenced. Do we understand what it means to have the Lord stand in our midst? Does Nelson understand what this scripture means? Do we see what it hints at? Do we know what it means to know of a surety that Jesus is the Christ?

Will we not repent? Our country is on the verge of collapse! The secret combinations have infiltrated everything!
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=htt ... egUIARDDAQ

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

Mark wrote: August 10th, 2020, 12:13 pm
Alexander wrote: August 10th, 2020, 11:58 am The “seat-belt” scenario he presents is an interesting one. It assumes the coming issues are but small bumps. What does it mean to buckle up? What does it mean to do what is right? The vague language of Nelson continues further.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=htt ... egUIARDDAQ
How Firm a Foundation

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

Primary Outcast wrote: August 10th, 2020, 10:56 am President Nelson posted this to his facebook page aug 5th. I haven't seen anyone talk about this on the forum yet, so I thought I'd share:

It's interesting this came out at a time when everyone on the forum started asking why he hasn't said anything.

Primary Outcast
captain of 100

Post by Primary Outcast »

To me the quote might be equally as passive or proactive as "stand ye in holy places, and be not moved, until the day of the Lord come; for behold, it cometh quickly, saith the Lord" (D&C 87:8). I don't think he knows any specifics because at general conference he said he didn't know covid-19 was coming, but I also think that he knows more than we do since he's made reference to the 2nd coming several times in the last little while. I have a hunch that maybe Jesus Christ has personally visited the Q15 based on what Elder Cook and Wendy Nelson have said.

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Pazooka »

harakim wrote: August 11th, 2020, 8:39 am

It's interesting this came out at a time when everyone on the forum started asking why he hasn't said anything.
The question was more along the lines of why haven’t we seen him? As in: is he still alive? Is he in a coma? Is he on vacation in Hawaii? Apparently nobody here knows. He, or anybody else, could be posting vague encouragements on social media from any number of places.

righteousrepublic
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by righteousrepublic »

Those who love to bash President Nelson like the attention they draw to themselves. But Christ has something to say about this too.

2 Nephi 9:28
28 O that cunning plan of the evil one! O the vainness, and the frailties, and the foolishness of men! When they are learned they think they are wise, and they hearken not unto the counsel of God, for they set it aside, supposing they know of themselves, wherefore, their wisdom is foolishness and it profiteth them not. And they shall perish.

Romans 1:22
22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

2 Nephi 28:15
15 O the wise, and the learned, and the rich, that are puffed up in the pride of their hearts, and all those who preach false doctrines, and all those who commit whoredoms, and pervert the right way of the Lord, wo, wo, wo be unto them, saith the Lord God Almighty, for they shall be thrust down to hell!

righteousrepublic
Level 34 Illuminated

Pazooka wrote: August 11th, 2020, 9:45 pm
harakim wrote: August 11th, 2020, 8:39 am

The question was more along the lines of why haven’t we seen him? As in: is he still alive? Is he in a coma? Is he on vacation in Hawaii? Apparently nobody here knows. He, or anybody else, could be posting vague encouragements on social media from any number of places.
President Nelson already told us to get closer to the Spirit if we want to make it through the bumps ahead. Is this not sufficient? Do the bashers of Nelson still think he needs to be more vocal? And why should he? It makes no difference if he stands and yells at us members with directives or tells us to get closer to the Spirit, there will always be those that will not do either one, especially if they already think the Presidency has gone astray.

It's the members who receive the prophets that receive the savior too, and those that reject the prophets that also reject Christ. Not my words, Christ tells us this in scripture.

With regard to rejecting the servants of the Lord, he says:
Luke 10:16
16 He that heareth you heareth me; and he that despiseth you despiseth me; and he that despiseth me despiseth him that sent me.

Art Vandelay
Leader of the Outcasts

Post by Art Vandelay »

I interpreted his statement a bit more serious. Buckle up, things are going to get bumpy remind me more of being on a jet when the pilot tells everyone to buckle up because of turbulence. Having been in that situation with some pretty heavy turbulence after the buckle up warning, that's the experience that comes to mind.

Plus, I took some warning from his economic message of death, lost jobs and food and supply shortage. He's not going to come out and tell people to stock up as that would only cause a run on the stores, plus Hinckley said the church was done warning people about food storage. I'm not a fan of cryptic talk but I think there was some cryptic talk in his message.

simpleton
captain of 1,000

Post by simpleton »

righteousrepublic wrote: August 11th, 2020, 10:14 pm
Those who love to bash President Nelson like the attention they draw to themselves. But Christ has something to say about this too.

28 O that cunning plan of the evil one! O the vainness, and the frailties, and the foolishness of men! When they are learned they think they are wise, and they hearken not unto the counsel of God, for they set it aside, supposing they know of themselves, wherefore, their wisdom is foolishness and it profiteth them not. And they shall perish.

15 O the wise, and the learned, and the rich, that are puffed up in the pride of their hearts, and all those who preach false doctrines, and all those who commit whoredoms, and pervert the right way of the Lord, wo, wo, wo be unto them, saith the Lord God Almighty, for they shall be thrust down to hell!
Actually these quotes apply to the very people you are trying to protect. :evil:

righteousrepublic
Level 34 Illuminated

simpleton wrote: August 12th, 2020, 1:27 am

Actually these quotes apply to the very people you are trying to protect. :evil:
Only I proved my point using scripture. Can you? I provided actual statements by Christ. Can you prove your opinion?
I welcome you to provide scripture telling us that bashing the Prophets is okay.

simpleton
captain of 1,000

Post by simpleton »

righteousrepublic wrote: August 12th, 2020, 2:01 am
simpleton wrote: August 12th, 2020, 1:27 am

Only I proved my point using scripture. Can you? I provided actual statements by Christ. Can you prove your opinion?
I welcome you to provide scripture telling us that bashing the Prophets is okay.
There are no scriptures, ( at least that I am aware of) stating that bashing "True" Prophets is ok. But there are many scriptures "bashing" and or mocking "false" prophets, condemning false prophets, warnings to beware of false prophets, etc.
So that gets us to the subject at hand, is PN a true prophet or a false prophet. I do not think he is a "true" prophet at all. I do not think he is or ever was "the Lords Anointed". I do not think he was ever called to the Apostleship by a revelation from God. I do not think he even knows JC, or has ever met Him. Us believing it, does not make it so.
So how can you testify of something or more specifically, how can PN testify of and about JC when he has never met him or has never known him. You can lay your hands all the day long upon someone's head anointing him to the Apostleship, but unless it is approved by God it is worthless. And unless anyone appointed to that position is actually called of God, by revelation, it is worthless. And no one can testify of Christ if they have never met him. And that is specifically the mission of an Apostle, is to testify of JC of whom they should have personally known and met.

simpleton
captain of 1,000

Post by simpleton »

The following charge was given to the newly called Twelve Apostles by President Oliver Cowdery on 21 February 1835.

Dear Brethren—Previous to delivering the charge, I shall read a part of a revelation. It is known to you, that previous to the organization of this Church in 1830, the Lord gave revelations, or the Church could not have been organized. The people of this Church were weak in faith compared with the ancients. Those who embarked in this cause were desirous to know how the work was to be conducted. They read many things in the Book of Mormon concerning their duty, and the way the great work ought to be done; but the mind of men are so constructed that they will not believe, without a testimony of seeing or hearing. The Lord gave us a revelation that, in process of time, there should be twelve men chosen to preach His Gospel to Jew and Gentile. Our minds have been on a constant stretch, to find who these twelve were; when the time should come we could not tell; but we sought the Lord by fasting and prayer to have our lives prolonged to see this day, to see you, and to take a retrospect of the difficulties through which we have passed; but having seen the day, it becomes my duty to deliver to you a charge; and first, a few remarks respecting your ministry. You have many revelations put into your hands—revelation to make you acquainted with the nature of your mission; you will have difficulties by reason of your visiting all the nations of the world. You will need wisdom in a tenfold proportion to what you have ever had; you will have to combat all the prejudices of all nations.

He then read the revelation, and said: Have you desired this ministry with all our hearts? If you have desired it you are called of God, not of man, to go into the world.

He then read again, from the revelation, what the Lord said unto the Twelve. Brethren, you have had your duty presented in this revelation. You have been ordained to this holy Priesthood, you have received it from those who have the power and authority from an angel; you are to preach the Gospel to every nation. Should you in the least degree come short of your duty, great will be your condemnation; for the greater the calling the greater the transgression. I therefore warn you to cultivate great humility; for I know the pride of the human heart. Beware, lest the flatterers of the world lift you up; beware, lest your affections be captivated by worldly objects. Let your ministry be first. Remember, the souls of men are committed to your charge; and if you mind your calling, you shall always prosper.

You have been indebted to other men, in the first instance, for evidence; on that you have acted; but it is necessary that you receive a testimony from heaven for yourselves; so that you can bear testimony to the truth of the Book of Mormon, and that you have seen the face of God. That is more than the testimony of an angel. When the proper time arrives, you shall be able to bear this testimony to the world. When you bear testimony that you have seen God, this testimony God will never suffer to fall, but will bear you out; although many will not give heed, yet others will. You will therefore see the necessity of getting this testimony from heaven.

Never cease striving until you have seen God face to face. Strengthen your faith; cast off you doubts, your sins, and all your unbelief; and nothing can prevent you from coming to God. Your ordination is not full and complete till God has laid His hand upon you. We require as much to qualify us as did those who have gone before us; God is the same. If the Savior in former days laid His hands upon His disciples, why not in latter days?

With regard to superiority, I must make a few remarks. The ancient apostles sought to be great; but lest the seeds of discord be sown in this matter; understand particularly the voice of the Spirit on this occasion. God does not love you better or more than others. You are to contend for the faith once delivered to the saints. Jacob, you know, wrestled till he had obtained. It was by fervent prayer and diligent search that you have obtained the testimony you are now able to bear. You are as one; you are equal in bearing the keys of the Kingdom to all nations. You are called to preach the Gospel of the Son of God to the nations of the earth; it is the will of your heavenly Father, that you proclaim His Gospel to the ends of the earth and the islands of the sea.

Be zealous to save souls. The soul of one man is as precious as the soul of another. You are to bear this message to those who consider themselves wise; and such may persecute you—they may seek your life. The adversary has always sought the life of the servants of God; you are therefore to be prepared at all times to make a sacrifice of your lives, should God require them in the advancement and building up of His cause. Murmur not at God. Be always prayerful; be always watchful. You will bear with me while I relieve the feelings of my heart. We shall not see another day like this; the time has fully come—the voice of the Spirit has come—to set these men apart.

You will see the time when you will desire to see such a day as this, and you will not see it. Every heart wishes you peace and prosperity, but the scene with you will inevitably change. Let no man take your bishopric, and beware that you lose not your crowns. It will require your whole souls, it will require courage like Enoch’s.

The time is near when you will be in the midst of congregations who will gnash their teeth upon you. The Gospel must roll forth, and it will until it fills the whole earth. Did I say congregations would gnash their teeth at you? Yea, I say, nations will oppose you—you will be considered the worst of men.(funny, they are considered "the best of men" today by the outside world). Be not discouraged at this. When God pours out His Spirit, the enemy will rage; but God, remember, is on your right hand, and on your left. A man, though he be considered the worst, has joy, who is conscious that he pleases God.

The lives of those who proclaim the true Gospel will be in danger; this has been the case ever since the days of righteous Abel. The same opposition has been manifest whenever man came forward to publish the Gospel. The time is coming when you will be considered the worst of men by many, and by some the best. The time is coming when you will be perfectly familiar with the things of God. This testimony will make those who do not believe your testimony, seek your lives; but there are whole nations who will receive your testimony. They will call you good men. Be not lifted up when ye are called good men. Remember you are young men, and ye shall be spared. I include the other three. Bear them in mind in your prayers—carry their cases to the throne of grace; although they are not present, yet you and they are equal. This appointment is calculated to create for you an affection for each other, stronger than death. You will travel to other nations; bear each other in mind. If one or more be cast into prisons, let the others pray for them, and deliver them by their prayers. Your lives shall be in great jeopardy; but the promise of God is, that you shall be delivered.

Remember, you are not to go to their nations till you receive your endowments. Tarry at Kirtland until you are endowed with power from on high. You need a fountain of wisdom, knowledge and intelligence such as you never had. Relative to the endowment, I make a remark or two, that there may be no mistake. The world cannot receive the things of God. He can endow you without worldly pomp or great parade. He can give you that wisdom, that intelligence, and that power, which characterized the ancient saints, and now characterizes the inhabitants of the upper world.

The greatness of your commission consists in this: you are to hold the keys of this ministry; your are to go to the nations afar off—nations that sit in darkness. The day is coming when the work of God must be done. Israel shall be gathered: the seed of Jacob shall be gathered from their long dispersion. There will be a feast to Israel, the elect of God. It is a sorrowful tale, but the Gospel must be preached, and God’s ministers rejected: but where can Israel be found and receive your testimony, and not rejoice? Nowhere! The prophecies are full of great things that are to take place in the last days. After the elect are gathered out, destructions shall come on the inhabitants of the earth; all nations shall feel the wrath of God, after they have been warned by the Saints of the Most High. If you will not warn them, others will, and you will lose your crowns.

You must prepare your minds to bid a long farewell to Kirtland, even till the great day come. You will see what you never expected to see; you will need the mind of Enoch or Elijah, and the faith of the brother of Jared; you must be prepared to walk by faith, however appalling the prospect to human view; you, and each of you, should feel the force of the imperious mandate, Son, go labor in my vineyard, and cheerfully receive what comes; but in the end you will stand while others will fall. You have read in the revelation concerning ordination: Beware how you ordain, for all nations are not like this nation; they will willingly receive the ordinances at your hands to put you out of the way. There will be times when nothing but the angels of God can deliver you out of their hands.

We appeal to your intelligence, we appeal to your understanding, that we have so far discharged our duty to you. We consider it one of the greatest condescensions of our heavenly Father, in pointing you out to us; you will be stewards over this ministry; you have a work to do that no other men can do; you must proclaim the Gospel in its simplicity and purity; and we commend you to God and the word of His grace. You have our best wishes, you have our most fervent prayers, that you may be able to bear this testimony, that you have seen the face of God. Therefore call upon Him in faith in mighty prayer till you prevail, for it is your duty and your privilege to bear such testimony for yourselves. We now exhort you to be faithful to fulfill your calling; there must be no lack here; you must fulfill in all things; and permit us to repeat, all nations have a claim on you; you are bound together as the Three Witnesses were; notwithstanding you can part and meet, and meet and part again, till your heads are silvered over with age.

He then took them separately by the hand, and said, “Do you with full purpose of heart take part in this ministry, to proclaim the Gospel with all diligence, with these your brethren, according to the tenor and intent of the charge you have received?” Each of them answered in the affirmative. (History of the Church, 2:194-198, emphasis added)

sandman45
captain of 1,000

Post by sandman45 »

The Bloviator wrote: August 10th, 2020, 12:03 pm

I think we should fasten our seatbelts for the posters that are getting ready to bash President Nelson..............and now!
Nah they won’t bash him he’s being a good global citizen and counseling with government, ecclesiastical, and medical experts and following along like a good sheep.

4Joshua8
captain of 1,000

Post by 4Joshua8 »

I sometimes wonder why the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve Apostles don't more frequently warn of specific oncoming disasters above and beyond those warnings that already exist in scripture.

I know one past President of the Church, in his book Faith Precedes the Miracle, seemed to suggest that there would be no general warning given. "With no warning, no last-minute preparation is possible." That seems to jibe with the traditions relevant to the coming of the Bridegroom, where nobody knows the day or hour of His coming. If nobody knows when, how can they give a general warning about a specific calamity?

Does the coming of the Bridegroom include the great tribulation? I believe so. I don't think of it only as His final "official" coming. I think of it as that process in the latter part of the latter day, which includes the judgments poured out.

Why, though, wouldn't the leaders of the church warn more often, even if they don't know the exact day and hour?

I've been thinking about that recently and realized something I'd heard but hadn't really internalized.

Because they don't know. They simply do not know. They keep telling us they don't know. Over and over again they've told us they don't know. And we keep bashing them for not knowing. It's not like they're keeping the fact of not knowing a secret.

If they warn us of something without knowing for certain, what good would that do anybody?

If they don't know, does that mean they're false? Not necessarily? It could mean a number of things, including the following:
1. The members don't deserve to know.
2. The Lord doesn't intend to warn yet.
3. The Lord doesn't intend to give any more warnings at all, beyond what He's already given.

I admit I've felt hurt by the lack of clear actionable Zion-oriented counsel. I've mostly felt hurt by the lack of the physical gathering to places of safety. I've struggled with the temptation to wonder if the apostles have abandoned the long-held desire to build up the New Jerusalem and establish Zion, which must come by the power of God.

But I wonder if we're putting an unfair expectation on them. Are they the latter-day servant? Most here would say they are not.

I think a lot of people expect the apostles to "gather us out" before the disasters begin to strike. I'm wondering if more realistic is that the disasters that begin to strike will be the impetus that initiates the gathering.

But where is the threshold? At what point does disaster spell permanent change? At what point do the saints become willing to leave behind a lifestyle built up over decades or generations? How much pain is sufficient to cause us to be willing to start over, like the pioneers? I hope it doesn't require great pain, but rather great faith.

I think it's clear that this world is suffering. It's never been more important to hold on to righteousness. Wickedness produces traumas, the consequences of which often don't surface until later in life. How can we support one another better? I worry about those who are alone and isolated. I worry about all the indebtedness. I worry about myself, my family, and my loved ones.

Something has got to give, because the tension is building to levels that eventually cause a rupture.

I've been feeling a pull to Zion for almost 20 years now. I haven't been perfect. Nowhere near perfect. But a lot of the bad that was in my life has fallen out of it, and I've tried to replace it with good. Today, I'm feeling a pull to physically gather. There has been no statement from the apostles to physically gather, beyond to our branches, wards, and stakes, yet I feel the pull strongly.

Have any of you felt the pull to physically gather?

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

I am feeling more confident in President Nelson. I focus a lot on the bumps. But I had a dream a long time ago about being in a train that represents the church. And there was danger on the train. Actually there was a shoot out going on that I was actively part of. It began to be so dangerous that I was about to jump off. Then a message hit me as I woke up, "don't get off the train!"

I don't know what Pres. Nelson has been through in his life but as I have prayed to have a witness from the Holy Spirit to know if our church is in good hands with Pres. Nelson, and right now I feel the answer is yes.

Secret combinations abound. And many people have not gone through life being free of their power. I am in that situation. But following the gospel and my temple covenants has put me in a position to be safe.

I wrote something negative on another post and then deleted it because I felt convicted in my spirit that I was wrong on the whole of it.

Again, I can see all the bumps. But I know Jesus sees the whole picture when we don't and He loves us.

I was thinking about how Pres. Nelson made a statement about his life being saved miraculously at his birthday celebration. I wonder if the bad guys had tried to do away with him and God saved him.

I am also aware that there is another active thread about how Pres. Nelson may have responded to the area authority in Utah after being put in a difficult situation by Mitt Romney.

I felt like his response was wise and appropriate.

So I am beginning to trust Pres. Nelson.

I have to trust in the Lord's plan to end the evil in the world. Many generations have tried using the sword and it never seemed to prevent it evil from coming back. This time when Jesus comes it has to be permanent. So if anyone can repent now then now is the time to give them that chance.

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

4Joshua8 wrote: August 12th, 2020, 3:31 pm I sometimes wonder why the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve Apostles don't more frequently warn of specific oncoming disasters above and beyond those warnings that already exist in scripture.

I know one past President of the Church, in his book Faith Precedes the Miracle, seemed to suggest that there would be no general warning given. "With no warning, no last-minute preparation is possible." That seems to jibe with the traditions relevant to the coming of the Bridegroom, where nobody knows the day or hour of His coming. If nobody knows when, how can they give a general warning about a specific calamity?

Does the coming of the Bridegroom include the great tribulation? I believe so. I don't think of it only as His final "official" coming. I think of it as that process in the latter part of the latter day, which includes the judgments poured out.

Why, though, wouldn't the leaders of the church warn more often, even if they don't know the exact day and hour?

I've been thinking about that recently and realized something I'd heard but hadn't really internalized.

Because they don't know. They simply do not know. They keep telling us they don't know. Over and over again they've told us they don't know. And we keep bashing them for not knowing. It's not like they're keeping the fact of not knowing a secret.

If they warn us of something without knowing for certain, what good would that do anybody?

If they don't know, does that mean they're false? Not necessarily? It could mean a number of things, including the following:
3. The Lord doesn't intend to give any more warnings at all, beyond what He's already given.

I admit I've felt hurt by the lack of clear actionable Zion-oriented counsel. I've mostly felt hurt by the lack of the physical gathering to places of safety. I've struggled with the temptation to wonder if the apostles have abandoned the long-held desire to build up the New Jerusalem and establish Zion, which must come by the power of God.

But I wonder if we're putting an unfair expectation on them. Are they the latter-day servant? Most here would say they are not.

I think a lot of people expect the apostles to "gather us out" before the disasters begin to strike. I'm wondering if more realistic is that the disasters that begin to strike will be the impetus that initiates the gathering.

But where is the threshold? At what point does disaster spell permanent change? At what point do the saints become willing to leave behind a lifestyle built up over decades or generations? How much pain is sufficient to cause us to be willing to start over, like the pioneers? I hope it doesn't require great pain, but rather great faith.

I think it's clear that this world is suffering. It's never been more important to hold on to righteousness. Wickedness produces traumas, the consequences of which often don't surface until later in life. How can we support one another better? I worry about those who are alone and isolated. I worry about all the indebtedness. I worry about myself, my family, and my loved ones.

Something has got to give, because the tension is building to levels that eventually cause a rupture.

I've been feeling a pull to Zion for almost 20 years now. I haven't been perfect. Nowhere near perfect. But a lot of the bad that was in my life has fallen out of it, and I've tried to replace it with good. Today, I'm feeling a pull to physically gather. There has been no statement from the apostles to physically gather, beyond to our branches, wards, and stakes, yet I feel the pull strongly.

We live in a world where children are frequently taken away from their parents if they don't comply with the new world order. I am ready to gather yesterday if I have to live in mud and eat tree bark the rest of my life.

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

4Joshua8 wrote: August 12th, 2020, 3:31 pm I sometimes wonder why the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve Apostles don't more frequently warn of specific oncoming disasters above and beyond those warnings that already exist in scripture.

What is the threshold for you? At what point will you leave behind that lifestyle?

4Joshua8
captain of 1,000

Post by 4Joshua8 »

harakim wrote: August 12th, 2020, 4:13 pm

What is the threshold for you? At what point will you leave behind that lifestyle?
A broken heart and contrite spirit.

Destroyer
captain of 100

Post by Destroyer »

Yes, I have been feeling the pull to gather. For the last three years, I've felt it, but more so since the end of last year.

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

4Joshua8 wrote: August 12th, 2020, 4:17 pm
harakim wrote: August 12th, 2020, 4:13 pm

A broken heart and contrite spirit.
Isn't that the same for everyone?