Church and Facemasks

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
mudflap
captain of 1,000

Re: Church and Facemasks

Post by mudflap »

follow the science:

lol.

TrueFaith
captain of 1,000

Post by TrueFaith »

mudflap wrote: April 19th, 2021, 12:40 pm follow the science:

lol.
Shocking. In other news, water is wet and the sky is blue.

But wear them anyway to show "Christlike love" by bearing false witness about their effectiveness.

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Gadianton Slayer »

TrueFaith wrote: April 19th, 2021, 1:14 pm

lol.

But wear them anyway to show "Christlike love" by bearing false witness about their effectiveness.
Don’t forget the Satan juice.

4Joshua8
captain of 1,000

Post by 4Joshua8 »

Gadianton Slayer wrote: April 19th, 2021, 1:19 pm

lol.

In case anyone wants to go to the URL:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7680614/

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

4Joshua8 wrote: April 19th, 2021, 1:24 pm

lol.

Which means that anyone recommending and particularly demanding that you wear a mask is your mortal enemy. They are not the slightest bit concerned with your health. They would just as soon you were dead. Health is NOT the reason they lie and support satan with this nonsense.

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

Fred wrote: April 19th, 2021, 1:43 pm

Which means that anyone recommending and particularly demanding that you wear a mask is your mortal enemy. They are not the slightest bit concerned with your health. They would just as soon you were dead. Health is NOT the reason they lie and support satan with this nonsense.
The big question about church leaders:
Are they ignorant or are they evil?

I don’t have a good answer, it’s seemingly a mix of both.

TrueFaith
captain of 1,000

Post by TrueFaith »

Gadianton Slayer wrote: April 19th, 2021, 1:45 pm

This guy goes around asking people why they wear them.
https://www.facebook.com/ethan.schmidt. ... 816681274/

Most admit they don't even know why. I think you would get the same zombie response from most members. The Walking Dead.

Our leaders? No, they know they are lying. President Nelson is an experienced doctor (which he reminds us of every chance he gets) so he knows full well masks don't prevent viral transmission.

samizdat
captain of 1,000

Post by samizdat »

TrueFaith wrote: April 19th, 2021, 1:50 pm

Most admit they don't even know why. I think you would get the same zombie response from most members. The Walking Dead.

Our leaders? No, they know they are lying. President Nelson is an experienced doctor (which he reminds us of every chance he gets) so he knows full well masks don't prevent viral transmission.
Or perhaps he knows that masks CAN prevent viral transmission (as well as a combination of other factors) because he IS a doctor...while you have many ruminating people on the Internet without so much as a degree in medicine or basic science who surmise otherwise or who are otherwise not capable of interpreting a scientfic study much less thousands of them.

The worst thing that anyone can do with a complex issue, is to try to boil it down to a simple cause and effect.

All I have to say is look at Taiwan.

gradles21
captain of 1,000

Post by gradles21 »

I'm not at the point where I can accuse them of having an evil motive. I just think they are a bunch of ignorant baby boomers that watch too much cable news, and put too much trust in the arm of flesh.

samizdat
captain of 1,000

Post by samizdat »

Members in the 19th Century: Let's travel thousands of miles across plains and deserts and oceans to get to the Temple!

Utah members in 2021: Please don't make me wear a mask to attend the Temple!

Stop your whining!

gradles21
captain of 1,000

Post by gradles21 »

samizdat wrote: April 19th, 2021, 1:55 pm

Or perhaps he knows that masks CAN prevent viral transmission (as well as a combination of other factors) because he IS a doctor...while you have many ruminating people on the Internet without so much as a degree in medicine or basic science who surmise otherwise or who are otherwise not capable of interpreting a scientfic study much less thousands of them.

The worst thing that anyone can do with a complex issue, is to try to boil it down to a simple cause and effect.

Surgeons are trained to wear surgical masks to prevent bacterial infections, specifically TB, while in the operating room. RMN was never trained to believe that surgical masks prevent viral infections.

TrueFaith
captain of 1,000

Post by TrueFaith »

The study is well worth a skim through, it appears very thorough. Facemask threads are over 1000 times larger than covid particles. Wow. That would be like a chain-link fence trying to block sand particles. They even debunk asymptomatic spread:

"The physical properties of medical and non-medical facemasks suggest that facemasks are ineffective to block viral particles due to their difference in scales [16], [17], [25]. According to the current knowledge, the virus SARS-CoV-2 has a diameter of 60 nm to 140 nm [nanometers (billionth of a meter)] [16], [17], while medical and non-medical facemasks’ thread diameter ranges from 55 µm to 440 µm [micrometers (one millionth of a meter), which is more than 1000 times larger [25]. Due to the difference in sizes between SARS-CoV-2 diameter and facemasks thread diameter (the virus is 1000 times smaller), SARS-CoV-2 can easily pass through any facemask [25]. In addition, the efficiency filtration rate of facemasks is poor, ranging from 0.7% in non-surgical, cotton-gauze woven mask to 26% in cotton sweeter material [2]. With respect to surgical and N95 medical facemasks, the efficiency filtration rate falls to 15% and 58%, respectively when even small gap between the mask and the face exists [25].

Clinical scientific evidence challenges further the efficacy of facemasks to block human-to-human transmission or infectivity. A randomized controlled trial (RCT) of 246 participants [123 (50%) symptomatic)] who were allocated to either wearing or not wearing surgical facemask, assessing viruses transmission including coronavirus [26]. The results of this study showed that among symptomatic individuals (those with fever, cough, sore throat, runny nose ect…) there was no difference between wearing and not wearing facemask for coronavirus droplets transmission of particles of >5 µm. Among asymptomatic individuals, there was no droplets or aerosols coronavirus detected from any participant with or without the mask, suggesting that asymptomatic individuals do not transmit or infect other people [26]. This was further supported by a study on infectivity where 445 asymptomatic individuals were exposed to asymptomatic SARS-CoV-2 carrier (been positive for SARS-CoV-2) using close contact (shared quarantine space) for a median of 4 to 5 days. The study found that none of the 445 individuals was infected with SARS-CoV-2 confirmed by real-time reverse transcription polymerase [27]."

"As described earlier, wearing facemasks causing hypoxic and hypercapnic state that constantly challenges the normal homeostasis, and activates “fight or flight” stress response, an important survival mechanism in the human body [11], [12], [13]. The acute stress response includes activation of nervous, endocrine, cardiovascular, and the immune systems [47], [54], [55], [56]. These include activation of the limbic part of the brain, release stress hormones (adrenalin, neuro-adrenalin and cortisol), changes in blood flow distribution (vasodilation of peripheral blood vessels and vasoconstriction of visceral blood vessels) and activation of the immune system response (secretion of macrophages and natural killer cells) [47], [48]. Encountering people who wearing facemasks activates innate stress-fear emotion, which is fundamental to all humans in danger or life threating situations, such as death or unknown, unpredictable outcome. While acute stress response (seconds to minutes) is adaptive reaction to challenges and part of the survival mechanism, chronic and prolonged state of stress-fear is maladaptive and has detrimental effects on physical and mental health. The repeatedly or continuously activated stress-fear response causes the body to operate on survival mode, having sustain increase in blood pressure, pro-inflammatory state and immunosuppression [47], [48]."
Last edited by TrueFaith on April 19th, 2021, 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Benjamin_LK
captain of 1,000

Post by Benjamin_LK »

Benjamin_LK wrote: March 26th, 2021, 9:01 pm
Gadianton Slayer wrote: March 26th, 2021, 8:49 pm
Benjamin_LK wrote: March 26th, 2021, 8:46 pm
Gadianton Slayer wrote: March 26th, 2021, 8:41 pm

My mission president asked our entire mission to wear a mask as soon as we left our apartment, even if we were alone. Yes, I don't see why we wouldn't be able to wipe our face or change it. Not a concern of mine as I almost never wore it, I got in trouble for it many times.
A cloth mask or N95 if soaked in sweat, becomes ineffective, poisonous chemicals and germs can get in through the mask by what is known as capillary action where germs and particles flow in through the droplets and moisture in the mask. Even surgeons change theirs via an assistant for the sake of sanitation. I find it so odd that someone like me who worked with hazardous materials has to be the one to mention this. I wasn’t a doctor, but I sure as heck didn’t want to breathe those hazardous materials in and used a respirator with an exhale valve to lessen the moisture accumulation, cool the equipment, and relieve the pressure to keep the respirator sealed to my face.
Absolutely, which is why I find it horrendous that missionaries are forced to wear them in most places, and that we are asked to wear them in church. Any facial covering, N95 included, is ineffective at preventing the transmission of a virus.

They are a symbol of submissiveness.
The static of an N95 mask’s fabric can catch dust and chemical droplets via the static charge. However, in addition to what I said above, the N95 getting wet negates the static, which is why surgeons change it. Ultraviolet air purifiers would drastically reduce bacteria and viruses in the air. But one has to ask why so few places besides operating rooms and the vehicles that transport the President of the United States have them, when it would make a big difference.
A little update, Gulf of Mexico cruise liners now have UV purification in their ventilation systems. Beginning last year. So now you’re officially safer on an expensive boat than on an airplane.

https://www.travelpulse.com/news/cruise ... ships.html

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

He was a heart surgeon, not an immunologist. Also my studies go further than internet gossip, if you care. Did you read the article posted? I’ll add some more for you at the bottom of this.

Look at Sweden, who implemented no lockdowns and is fine. Look at Texas that has resumed normal life and is doing better than most states especially those with lockdowns still in place.

Articles with respective links below:

A May 2020 meta-study on pandemic influenza published by the US CDC found that face masks had no effect, neither as personal protective equipment nor as a source control.

A Danish randomized controlled trial with 6000 participants, published in the Annals of Internal Medicine in November 2020, found no statistically significant effect of high-quality medical face masks against SARS-CoV-2 infection in a community setting.

A February 2021 review by the European CDC found no significant evidence supporting the effectiveness of non-medical and medical face masks in the community. Furthermore, the European CDC advises against the use of FFP2/N95 respirators by the general public.

A July 2020 review by the Oxford Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine found that there is no evidence for the effectiveness of cloth masks against virus infection or transmission.

A November 2020 Cochrane review found that face masks did not reduce influenza-like illness (ILI) cases, neither in the general population nor in health care workers.

A May 2020 cross-country study by the University of East Anglia (preprint) found that a mask requirement was of no benefit and could even increase the risk of infection.

An April 2020 review by two US professors in respiratory and infectious disease from the University of Illinois concluded that face masks have no effect in everyday life, neither as self-protection nor to protect third parties (so-called source control).

An article in the New England Journal of Medicine from May 2020 came to the conclusion that cloth face masks offer little to no protection in everyday life.

A 2015 study in the British Medical Journal BMJ Open found that cloth masks were penetrated by 97% of particles and may increase infection risk by retaining moisture or repeated use.

An August 2020 review by a German professor in virology, epidemiology and hygiene found that there is no evidence for the effectiveness of cloth face masks and that the improper daily use of masks by the public may in fact lead to an increase in infections.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/5/19-0994_article

https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M20-6817

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/sites/defaul ... update.pdf

https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/masking-l ... -politics/

https://www.cochrane.org/CD006207/ARI_d ... ry-viruses

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... 1.full.pdf

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspec ... sound-data

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp2006372

https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/5/4/e006577

https://www.thieme-connect.com/products ... -1174-6591

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

samizdat wrote: April 19th, 2021, 1:58 pm Members in the 19th Century: Let's travel thousands of miles across plains and deserts and oceans to get to the Temple!

Stop your whining!
I will do hard things, I will not comply with evil.

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

Here are more things to consider, you’ll have to read into the actual cited sources:

A meta-study in the journal Lancet, commissioned by the WHO, claimed that masks “could” lead to a reduction in the risk of infection, but the studies considered mainly N95 respirators in a hospital setting, not cloth masks in a community setting, the strength of the evidence was reported as “low”, and experts found numerous flaws in the study. Professor Peter Jueni, epidemiologist at the University of Toronto, called the WHO study “essentially useless”.

A study in the journal PNAS claimed that masks had led to a decrease in infections in three global hotspots (including New York City), but the study did not take into account the natural decrease in infections and other simultaneous measures. The study was so flawed that over 40 scientists recommended that the study be withdrawn.

A US study claimed that US counties with mask mandates had lower Covid infection and hospitalization rates, but the authors had to withdraw their study as infections and hospitalizations increased in many of these counties shortly after the study was published.

A German study claimed that the introduction of mandatory face masks in German cities had led to a decrease in infections. But the data does not support this claim: in some cities there was no change, in others a decrease, in others an increase in infections (see graph below). The city of Jena was an ‘exception’ only because it simultaneously introduced the strictest quarantine rules in Germany, but the study did not mention this.

A Canadian study claimed that countries with mandatory masks had fewer deaths than countries without mandatory masks. But the study compared African, Latin American, Asian and Eastern European countries with very different infection rates and population structures.

A review by the University of Oxford claimed that face masks are effective, but it was based on studies about SARS-1 and in health care settings, not in community settings.

A review by members of the lobby group ‘Masks for All’, published in the journal PNAS, claimed that masks are effective as a source control against aerosol transmission in the community, but the review provided no real-world evidence supporting this proposition.

The WHO warns of various “side effects” such as difficulty breathing and skin rashes.

Tests conducted by the University Hospital of Leipzig in Germany have shown that face masks significantly reduce the resilience and performance of healthy adults.

A German psychological study with about 1000 participants found “severe psychosocial consequences” due to the introduction of mandatory face masks in Germany.

The Hamburg Environmental Institute warned of the inhalation of chlorine compounds in polyester masks as well as problems in connection with face mask disposal.

The European rapid alert system RAPEX has already recalled 70 mask models because they did not meet EU quality standards and could lead to “serious risks”.
In Germany, two 13-year-old children died suddenly while wearing a mask for a prolonged period of time; autopsies couldn’t exclude CO2 intoxication or a sudden cardiac arrest.

https://swprs.org/face-masks-evidence/

InfoWarrior82
Level 34 Illuminated
Location: "There are 15 on the earth today, you can trust them completely." -President Nelson (Jan 2022)

Post by InfoWarrior82 »

Surgeons wear masks to prevent spittle from the mouth entering the patient's open wound. It is to prevent bacterial infections, not viral infections. If a surgeon is sick from a virus, he/she is at home that day and not in the hospital.

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

samizdat wrote: April 19th, 2021, 1:58 pm Members in the 19th Century: Let's travel thousands of miles across plains and deserts and oceans to get to the Temple!

Stop your whining!
This is quite the pathetic comparison. Sacrificing to come to a holy place is NOT in the same realm and therefore should not be compared to bringing foul, fear-propagated ideologies into a holy place.

samizdat
captain of 1,000

Post by samizdat »

Gadianton Slayer wrote: April 19th, 2021, 2:33 pm

Stop your whining!
This is quite the pathetic comparison. Sacrificing to come to a holy place is NOT in the same realm and therefore should not be compared to bringing foul, fear-propagated ideologies into a holy place.
What's pathetic is the fact that you would be willing to sacrifice your entry into a holy place of the Lord because you don't want to put an extra piece of clothing on.

Literally ridiculous!

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

samizdat wrote: April 19th, 2021, 2:34 pm

Stop your whining!
What's pathetic is the fact that you would be willing to sacrifice your entry into a holy place of the Lord because you don't want to put an extra piece of clothing on.

Literally ridiculous!
You do not understand what the intent of them is then. You will do whatever is told of you with no questions, like a mindless drone.

We wear sacred symbolic clothing that has meaning, yes? The masks are symbolic. I will not desecrate the temple by virtue signaling to our leaders or to Satan’s plans and intent.

samizdat
captain of 1,000

Post by samizdat »

Gadianton Slayer wrote: April 19th, 2021, 2:36 pm

Stop your whining!

Literally ridiculous!
You do not understand what the intent of them is then. You will do whatever is told of you with no questions, like a mindless drone.

We wear sacred symbolic clothing that has meaning, yes? The masks are symbolic. I will not desecrate the temple by virtue signaling to our leaders or to Satan’s plans and intent.
Those that fail at the basic commandments of the Lord and yet want to enter His Holy House take the name of the Lord in vain...

It really is that simple.

Those that choose to enter without a mask on, where a mask is required, are breaking those basic commandments.

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

samizdat wrote: April 19th, 2021, 2:38 pm

Literally ridiculous!

Those that fail at the basic commandments of the Lord and yet want to enter His Holy House take the name of the Lord in vain...

Those that choose to enter without a mask on, where a mask is required, are breaking those basic commandments.
Oh, so wearing a mask is a commandment now? Where did I miss that?

TrueFaith
captain of 1,000

Post by TrueFaith »

Gadianton Slayer wrote: April 19th, 2021, 2:36 pm You do not understand what the intent of them is then. You will do whatever is told of you with no questions, like a mindless drone.

Absolutely correct. Desecration. I would be unworthy to enter the temple if I wore a mask because I would know I was telling a lie.
Last edited by TrueFaith on April 19th, 2021, 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

TrueFaith wrote: April 19th, 2021, 2:39 pm
Gadianton Slayer wrote: April 19th, 2021, 2:36 pm You do not understand what the intent of them is then. You will do whatever is told of you with no questions, like a mindless drone.

I would be unworthy to enter the temple if I wore a mask because I would know I was telling a lie.
Exactly. I’m unworthy anyways because I disagree with church leadership on occasion and am therefore in apostasy.

samizdat
captain of 1,000

Post by samizdat »

Gadianton Slayer wrote: April 19th, 2021, 2:39 pm
samizdat wrote: April 19th, 2021, 2:38 pm

Literally ridiculous!

Oh, so wearing a mask is a commandment now? Where did I miss that?
The part where you are supposed to have love and charity for your fellow man...one of the two greatest commandments.

Pretty easy to see in Scripture.

Not only in our own religion but in those of other religions.

About the only ones that don't understand are rock ribbed conservatives from the USA.