The Apostasy of the Latter Days

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: The Apostasy of the Latter Days

Post by Luke »

cachemagic wrote: June 9th, 2021, 9:57 am
Luke wrote: May 15th, 2020, 10:46 am Here's something I've been working on. I know there's a lot more, feel free to add any more:
Joseph Fielding Smith wrote:“It is the L. D. Saints who have transgressed the laws, change the ordinance, broke the everlasting covenant.” (Joseph Fielding Smith, Deseret News, Church Section, 17 October 1936)
Joseph Fielding Smith did not say this in the 17 October 1936 article. The closest that I can find in that article is the following:
Are we not too much inclined to blame the generations that are past for the breaking of the new and everlasting covenant, and to think it is because of the great apostasy which followed the ministry of the Apostles in primitive times, that these troubles are coming upon the earth? Perhaps we should wake up to the realization that it is because of the breaking of covenants, especially the new and everlasting covenant, which is the fulness of the Gospel as it has been revealed, that the world is to be consumed by fire and few men left. Since this punishment is to come at the time of the cleansing of the earth when Christ comes again, should not Latter-day Saints take heed unto themselves? We have been given the new and everlasting covenant, and many among us have broken it, and many are now breaking it; therefore all who are guilty of this offense will aid in bringing to pass this destruction in which they will find themselves swept from the earth when the great and dreadful day of the Lord shall come.
"Hearken ye, for behold the great day of the Lord is nigh at hand." (D&C 43:17) This warning came to the Church one hundred years ago, and has been repeated many times since in the revelations to the Church. Elijah, when he came in April, 1836, declared that this great day was near even at our doors. If it was near our doors in 1836, it is one hundred years nearer fulfillment today.
Can you send me the link to the article? I’ve been searching for over a year and have never been able to find it

cachemagic
captain of 100

Post by cachemagic »

Luke wrote: June 9th, 2021, 9:59 am
cachemagic wrote: June 9th, 2021, 9:57 am
Luke wrote: May 15th, 2020, 10:46 am Here's something I've been working on. I know there's a lot more, feel free to add any more:
Joseph Fielding Smith wrote:“It is the L. D. Saints who have transgressed the laws, change the ordinance, broke the everlasting covenant.” (Joseph Fielding Smith, Deseret News, Church Section, 17 October 1936)
Joseph Fielding Smith did not say this in the 17 October 1936 article. The closest that I can find in that article is the following:
Are we not too much inclined to blame the generations that are past for the breaking of the new and everlasting covenant, and to think it is because of the great apostasy which followed the ministry of the Apostles in primitive times, that these troubles are coming upon the earth? Perhaps we should wake up to the realization that it is because of the breaking of covenants, especially the new and everlasting covenant, which is the fulness of the Gospel as it has been revealed, that the world is to be consumed by fire and few men left. Since this punishment is to come at the time of the cleansing of the earth when Christ comes again, should not Latter-day Saints take heed unto themselves? We have been given the new and everlasting covenant, and many among us have broken it, and many are now breaking it; therefore all who are guilty of this offense will aid in bringing to pass this destruction in which they will find themselves swept from the earth when the great and dreadful day of the Lord shall come.
"Hearken ye, for behold the great day of the Lord is nigh at hand." (D&C 43:17) This warning came to the Church one hundred years ago, and has been repeated many times since in the revelations to the Church. Elijah, when he came in April, 1836, declared that this great day was near even at our doors. If it was near our doors in 1836, it is one hundred years nearer fulfillment today.
Can you send me the link to the article? I’ve been searching for over a year and have never been able to find it
There is no link to the article. I have jpegs of the article, but I don't know how to share them on this list. Here is what I wrote at the time I was researching this quote.
Well I finally was able to get to the library and find the article. The first time I went to the library, they showed me a bound copy of the 1936 church sections, but October 17th wasn't included. Then I went back and was able to get the microfilm, found the article and messed up when I saved it to my thumb drive. Then the library was closed on Dec. 31st and Jan. 1st. So I finally got back there today and attached is the article. Here is the critical parts of that article.
. . . During the earth's Sabbath, the seventh thousand years, which are set apart as the reign of peace and righteousness. Christ will rule undisturbed by any wicked element or influence from the adversary of truth and righteousness. Not only will the earth be cleansed from all wickedness during the reign of peace, but the Church, or kingdom of God, now known as the Church, will be cleansed also. The Lord declared it in the following words: "The Son of man shall send forth His angels, and they shall gather out of His kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity."
The World Ripening in Iniquity
We are informed that the world is getting ripe in iniquity and ready for the cleaning. When the Lord sent the flood it was because "the earth was corrupt before God, and it was filled with violence. And God looked upon the earth, and behold it was corrupt, for all flesh had corrupted its way upon the earth." A great many people seem to believe that the world is getting better, that mankind is becoming more righteous all the time because of our advance civilization, but this is not the truth. We know that the coming of our Lord is near, but we have been assured that He will not come until the cup of iniquity is full. He will not come until the time for vengeance has arrived and that time will not come until flesh has again corrupted its way upon the earth. It is a mistake to think that the righteousness of the inhabitants of the earth will usher in the millennium. Isaiah speaks of Christ coming in the day of vengeance. This vengeance of course, is to be against those who are prepared in iniquity for this judgment. This warning has gone forth in this dispensation in all the world.

"For the hour is nigh and the day soon at hand when the earth is ripe; and all the proud and they that do wickedly shall be as stubble; and I will burn them up saith the Lord of Hosts, that wickedness shall not be upon the earth.
"For the hour is nigh, and that which was spoken by mine apostles must be fulfilled; for as they spoke so shall it come to pass; . . .
"And again, verily, I say unto you, and it hath gone forth in a firm decree, by the will of the Father that mine apostles, the Twelve which were with me in my ministry at Jerusalem, shall stand at my right hand at the day of my coming in a pillar of fire, being clothed with robes of righteousness, with crowns upon their heads, in glory even as I am, to judge the whole house of Israel, even as many as have loved me and kept my commandments and none else." D. and C. 29:9-12. See Matt. 16:26-28

All this judgment and change which will bring to pass the destruction of the wicked will come, the Lord has said, "when the cup of the wrath of mind indignation is full." Moreover, in this same revelation given to the Church, the Lord continues:

"And there shall be weeping and wailing among the hosts of men; And there shall be a great hailstorm sent forth to destroy the crops of the earth. And it shall come to pass, because of the wickedness of the world, that I will take vengeance upon the wicked, for they will not repent; for the cup of mine indignation is full; for behold, my blood shall not cleanse them if they hear me not. Wherefore, I the Lord God will send forth flies upon the face of the earth, which shall take hold of the inhabitants thereof and shall eat their flesh, and shall cause maggots to come in upon them; And their tongues shall be swayed that they shall not utter against me; and their flesh shall fall from off their bones, and their eyes from their sockets; And it shall come to pass that the beasts of the forest and the fowls of the air shall devour them up." (D&C 29:15-20)

In another revelation it is written:

"And their testimony (i. e. the testimony of the Elders of the Church) shall go forth among the inhabitants of the earth, and shall continue to be poured out form time to time, if they repent not, until the earth is empty, and the inhabitants thereof, are consumed away and utterly destroyed by the brightness of my coming." (D&C 5:18-19)

A Warning To The World
In this manner the Lord, all down the ages, has cried with a warning voice, through His prophets, to the inhabitants of the earth dwelling in this present generation. Isaiah said that because of the rebellion of the people in the last days,

The land shall be utterly emptied, and utterly spoiled: for the Lord hath spoken this word. The earth mourneth and fadeth away, the world languisheth and fadeth away, the haughty people of the earth do languish. The earth also is defiled under the inhabitants thereof; because they have transgressed the laws, changed the ordinance, broken the everlasting covenant. Therefore hath the curse devoured the earth, and they that dwell therein are desolate: therefore the inhabitants of the earth are burned, and few men left." (Isaiah 24:3-6)

"Hearken ye, for behold the great day of the Lord is nigh at hand." (D&C 43:17) This warning came to the Church one hundred years ago, and has been repeated many times since in the revelations to the Church. Elijah, when he came in April, 1836, declared that this great day was near even at our doors. If it was near our doors in 1836, it is one hundred years nearer fulfillment today. The following, warning recorded in the Gospel of Luke (21:34-36), and coming from our Lord, was intended for the inhabitants of the earth of this present day:

"And take heed to yourselves, lest at any time your hearts be overcharged with surfeiting, and drunkenness, and cares of this life, and so that day come upon you unawares. For as a snare shall it come on all them that dwell on the face of the whole earth. Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of Man.
The commandment came to the members of the Church in January 1831: "But, verily I say unto you that in time ye shall have no king nor ruler, for I will be your king and watch over you." (D&C 38:21)
This will be when He descends in the clouds of Heaven in power and glory.
. . .

cachemagic
captain of 100

Post by cachemagic »

P.S. That was in 2014 that I was researching this information.

Alexander
the Great
Location: amongst the brotherhood of the Black Robed Regiment; cocked hat and cocked rifle

Post by Alexander »

Hosea 5
1 Hear ye this, O priests; and hearken, ye house of Israel; and give ye ear, O house of the king; for judgment is toward you, because ye have been a snare on Mizpah, and a net spread upon Tabor.
2 And the revolters are profound to make slaughter, though I have been a rebuker of them all.
3 I know Ephraim, and Israel is not hid from me: for now, O Ephraim, thou committest whoredom, and Israel is defiled.
4 They will not frame their doings to turn unto their God: for the spirit of whoredoms is in the midst of them, and they have not known the LORD.
5 And the pride of Israel doth testify to his face: therefore shall Israel and Ephraim fall in their iniquity; Judah also shall fall with them.
6 They shall go with their flocks and with their herds to seek the LORD; but they shall not find him; he hath withdrawn himself from them.
7 They have dealt treacherously against the LORD: for they have begotten strange children: now shall a moth devour them with their portions.
8 Blow ye the cornet in Gibeah, and the trumpet in Ramah: cry aloud at Bethaven, after thee, O Benjamin.
9 Ephraim shall be desolate in the day of rebuke: among the tribes of Israel have I made known that which shall surely be.
10 The princes of Judah were like them that remove the bound: therefore I will pour out my wrath upon them like water.
11 Ephraim is oppressed and broken in judgment, because he willingly walked after the commandment.
12 Therefore will I be unto Ephraim as a moth, and to the house of Judah as rottenness.
13 When Ephraim saw his sickness, and Judah saw his wound, then went Ephraim to the Assyrian, and sent to king Jareb: yet could he not heal you, nor cure you of your wound.
14 For I will be unto Ephraim as a lion, and as a young lion to the house of Judah: I, even I, will tear and go away; I will take away, and none shall rescue him.
15 I will go and return to my place, till they acknowledge their offence, and seek my face: in their affliction they will seek me early.

Alexander
the Great
Location: amongst the brotherhood of the Black Robed Regiment; cocked hat and cocked rifle

Post by Alexander »

Jeremiah 10
17 Gather up thy wares out of the land, O inhabitant of the fortress.
18 For thus saith the Lord, Behold, I will sling out the inhabitants of the land at this once, and will distress them, that they may find it so.
19 Woe is me for my hurt! my wound is grievous; but I said, Truly this is a grief, and I must bear it.
20 My tabernacle is spoiled, and all my cords are broken: my children are gone forth of me, and they are not: there is none to stretch forth my tent any more, and to set up my curtains.
21 For the pastors are become brutish, and have not sought the Lord: therefore they shall not prosper, and all their flocks shall be scattered.
22 Behold, the noise of the bruit is come, and a great commotion out of the north country, to make the cities of Judah desolate, and a den of dragons.

FrankOne
captain of 1,000

Post by FrankOne »

Reading through the first post, I was taken aback by Packer's comments. I don't think he realized how his words would apply to the 15:

"Both Alma and Helaman told of the church in their day. They warned about fast growth, the desire to be accepted by the world, to be popular, and particularly they warned about prosperity. Each time those conditions existed in combination, the Church drifted off course. . "