The Apostasy of the Latter Days

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

The Apostasy of the Latter Days

Post by Luke »

Here's something I've been working on. I know there's a lot more, feel free to add any more:

THE OLD TESTAMENT
Isaiah wrote:“Ah sinful nation, a people laden with iniquity, a seed of evildoers, children that are corrupters: they have forsaken the LORD, they have provoked the Holy One of Israel unto anger, they are gone away backward. Why should ye be stricken any more? ye will revolt more and more: the whole head is sick, and the whole heart faint. From the sole of the foot even unto the head there is no soundness in it; but wounds, and bruises, and putrifying sores: they have not been closed, neither bound up, neither mollified with ointment.” (Isaiah 1:4-6)

“The earth also is defiled under the inhabitants thereof; because they have transgressed the laws, changed the ordinance, broken the everlasting covenant.” (Isaiah 25:4)

“Woe to the crown of pride, to the drunkards of Ephraim, whose glorious beauty is a fading flower, which are on the head of the fat valleys of them that are overcome with wine! Behold, the Lord hath a mighty and strong one, which as a tempest of hail and a destroying storm, as a flood of mighty waters overflowing, shall cast down to the earth with the hand. The crown of pride, the drunkards of Ephraim, shall be trodden under feet: And the glorious beauty, which is on the head of the fat valley, shall be a fading flower, and as the hasty fruit before the summer; which when he that looketh upon it seeth, while it is yet in his hand he eateth it up. In that day shall the LORD of hosts be for a crown of glory, and for a diadem of beauty, unto the residue of his people, And for a spirit of judgment to him that sitteth in judgment, and for strength to them that turn the battle to the gate. But they also have erred through wine, and through strong drink are out of the way; the priest and the prophet have erred through strong drink, they are swallowed up of wine, they are out of the way through strong drink; they err in vision, they stumble in judgment. For all tables are full of vomit and filthiness, so that there is no place clean.” (Isaiah 28:1-8)

“Wherefore hear the word of the LORD, ye scornful men, that rule this people which is in Jerusalem. Because ye have said, We have made a covenant with death, and with hell are we at agreement; when the overflowing scourge shall pass through, it shall not come unto us: for we have made lies our refuge, and under falsehood have we hid ourselves: Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD, Behold, I lay in Zion for a foundation a stone, a tried stone, a precious corner stone, a sure foundation: he that believeth shall not make haste. Judgment also will I lay to the line, and righteousness to the plummet: and the hail shall sweep away the refuge of lies, and the waters shall overflow the hiding place. And your covenant with death shall be disannulled, and your agreement with hell shall not stand; when the overflowing scourge shall pass through, then ye shall be trodden down by it.” (Isaiah 28:14-18)

“Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men:” (Isaiah 29:13)

“His watchmen are blind: they are all ignorant, they are all dumb dogs, they cannot bark; sleeping, lying down, loving to slumber. Yea, they are greedy dogs which can never have enough, and they are shepherds that cannot understand: they all look to their own way, every one for his gain, from his quarter. Come ye, say they, I will fetch wine, and we will fill ourselves with strong drink; and to morrow shall be as this day, and much more abundant.” (Isaiah 56:10-12)
Hosea wrote:“For Israel hath forgotten his Maker, and buildeth temples; and Judah hath multiplied fenced cities: but I will send a fire upon his cities, and it shall devour the palaces thereof.” (Hosea 8:14)
THE BOOK OF MORMON
Nephi, quoting Isaiah from the Brass Plates wrote:“Hearken and hear this, O house of Jacob, who are called by the name of Israel, and are come forth out of the waters of Judah, or out of the waters of baptism, who swear by the name of the Lord and make mention of the God of Israel, yet they swear not in truth nor in righteousness. Nevertheless, they call themselves of the holy city, but they do not stay themselves upon the God of Israel, who is the Lord of Hosts; yea, the Lord of Hosts is his name.” (1 Nephi 20:1-2, See Isaiah 48:1-2)

“And again: Hearken, O ye house of Israel, all ye that are broken off and are driven out because of the wickedness of the pastors of my people; yea, all ye that are broken off, that are scattered abroad, who are of my people, O house of Israel. Listen, O isles, unto me, and hearken ye people from far; the Lord hath called me from the womb; from the bowels of my mother hath he made mention of my name.” (1 Nephi 21:1, See Isaiah 49:1)

“Yea, for thus saith the Lord: Have I put thee away, or have I cast thee off forever? For thus saith the Lord: Where is the bill of your mother's divorcement? To whom have I put thee away, or to which of my creditors have I sold you? Yea, to whom have I sold you? Behold, for your iniquities have ye sold yourselves, and for your transgressions is your mother put away.” (2 Nephi 7:1, See Isaiah 50:1)

“O house of Jacob, come ye and let us walk in the light of the Lord; yea, come, for ye have all gone astray, every one to his wicked ways.” (2 Nephi 12:5, See Isaiah 2:5)

“And my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they who lead thee cause thee to err and destroy the way of thy paths.” (2 Nephi 13:12, See Isaiah 3:12)

“And then will I sing to my well-beloved a song of my beloved, touching his vineyard. My well-beloved hath a vineyard in a very fruitful hill. And he fenced it, and gathered out the stones thereof, and planted it with the choicest vine, and built a tower in the midst of it, and also made a wine-press therein; and he looked that it should bring forth grapes, and it brought forth wild grapes. And now, O inhabitants of Jerusalem, and men of Judah, judge, I pray you, betwixt me and my vineyard. What could have been done more to my vineyard that I have not done in it? Wherefore, when I looked that it should bring forth grapes it brought forth wild grapes.” (2 Nephi 15:1-4, See Isaiah 5:1-4)

“For the people turneth not unto him that smiteth them, neither do they seek the Lord of Hosts. Therefore will the Lord cut off from Israel head and tail, branch and rush in one day. The ancient, he is the head; and the prophet that teacheth lies, he is the tail. For the leaders of this people cause them to err; and they that are led of them are destroyed.” (2 Nephi 19:13-16, See Isaiah 9:13-16)
Nephi wrote:“Yea, they have all gone out of the way; they have become corrupted. Because of pride, and because of false teachers, and false doctrine, their churches have become corrupted, and their churches are lifted up; because of pride they are puffed up. They rob the poor because of their fine sanctuaries; they rob the poor because of their fine clothing; and they persecute the meek and the poor in heart, because in their pride they are puffed up. They wear stiff necks and high heads; yea, and because of pride, and wickedness, and abominations, and whoredoms, they have all gone astray save it be a few, who are the humble followers of Christ; nevertheless, they are led, that in many instances they do err because they are taught by the precepts of men. O the wise, and the learned, and the rich, that are puffed up in the pride of their hearts, and all those who preach false doctrines, and all those who commit whoredoms, and pervert the right way of the Lord, wo, wo, wo be unto them, saith the Lord God Almighty, for they shall be thrust down to hell!” (2 Nephi 28:11-15)

“And others will he pacify, and lull them away into carnal security, that they will say: All is well in Zion; yea, Zion prospereth, all is well—and thus the devil cheateth their souls, and leadeth them away carefully down to hell.” (2 Nephi 28:21)
The Saviour wrote:“And thus commandeth the Father that I should say unto you: At that day when the Gentiles shall sin against my gospel, and shall reject the fulness of my gospel, and shall be lifted up in the pride of their hearts above all nations, and above all the people of the whole earth, and shall be filled with all manner of lyings, and of deceits, and of mischiefs, and all manner of hypocrisy, and murders, and priestcrafts, and whoredoms, and of secret abominations; and if they shall do all those things, and shall reject the fulness of my gospel, behold, saith the Father, I will bring the fulness of my gospel from among them. But if they will not turn unto me, and hearken unto my voice, I will suffer them, yea, I will suffer my people, O house of Israel, that they shall go through among them, and shall tread them down, and they shall be as salt that hath lost its savor, which is thenceforth good for nothing but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of my people, O house of Israel.” (3 Nephi 16:10, 15) (See D&C 101:39-40 and D&C 109:60 to understand who the Salt and who the Gentiles are)
Moroni wrote:“O ye wicked and perverse and stiffnecked people, why have ye built up churches unto yourselves to get gain? Why have ye transfigured the holy word of God, that ye might bring damnation upon your souls? Behold, look ye unto the revelations of God; for behold, the time cometh at that day when all these things must be fulfilled. Behold, the Lord hath shown unto me great and marvelous things concerning that which must shortly come, at that day when these things shall come forth among you. Behold, I speak unto you as if ye were present, and yet ye are not. But behold, Jesus Christ hath shown you unto me, and I know your doing. And I know that ye do walk in the pride of your hearts; and there are none save a few only who do not lift themselves up in the pride of their hearts, unto the wearing of very fine apparel, unto envying, and strifes, and malice, and persecutions, and all manner of iniquities; and your churches, yea, even every one, have become polluted because of the pride of your hearts. For behold, ye do love money, and your substance, and your fine apparel, and the adorning of your churches, more than ye love the poor and the needy, the sick and the afflicted. O ye pollutions, ye hypocrites, ye teachers, who sell yourselves for that which will canker, why have ye polluted the holy church of God? Why are ye ashamed to take upon you the name of Christ? Why do ye not think that greater is the value of an endless happiness than that misery which never dies—because of the praise of the world? Why do ye adorn yourselves with that which hath no life, and yet suffer the hungry, and the needy, and the naked, and the sick and the afflicted to pass by you, and notice them not? Yea, why do ye build up your secret abominations to get gain, and cause that widows should mourn before the Lord, and also orphans to mourn before the Lord, and also the blood of their fathers and their husbands to cry unto the Lord from the ground, for vengeance upon your heads? Behold, the sword of vengeance hangeth over you; and the time soon cometh that he avengeth the blood of the saints upon you, for he will not suffer their cries any longer.” (Mormon 8:33-41)
THE DOCTRINE AND COVENANTS
“And when the times of the Gentiles is come in, a light shall break forth among them that sit in darkness, and it shall be the fulness of my gospel; But they receive it not; for they perceive not the light, and they turn their hearts from me because of the precepts of men. And in that generation shall the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled.” (D&C 45:28-30)

“And by this you may know the righteous from the wicked, and that the whole world groaneth under sin and darkness even now. And your minds in times past have been darkened because of unbelief, and because you have treated lightly the things you have received—Which vanity and unbelief have brought the whole church under condemnation. And this condemnation resteth upon the children of Zion, even all. And they shall remain under this condemnation until they repent and remember the new covenant, even the Book of Mormon and the former commandments which I have given them, not only to say, but to do according to that which I have written—That they may bring forth fruit meet for their Father's kingdom; otherwise there remaineth a scourge and judgment to be poured out upon the children of Zion. For shall the children of the kingdom pollute my holy land? Verily, I say unto you, Nay.” (D&C 84:53-59)

“And it shall come to pass that I, the Lord God, will send one mighty and strong, holding the scepter of power in his hand, clothed with light for a covering, whose mouth shall utter words, eternal words; while his bowels shall be a fountain of truth, to set in order the house of God, and to arrange by lot the inheritances of the saints whose names are found, and the names of their fathers, and of their children, enrolled in the book of the law of God;” (D&C 85:7)

“Verily, verily, I say unto you, darkness covereth the earth, and gross darkness the minds of the people, and all flesh has become corrupt before my face. Behold, vengeance cometh speedily upon the inhabitants of the earth, a day of wrath, a day of burning, a day of desolation, of weeping, of mourning, and of lamentation; and as a whirlwind it shall come upon all the face of the earth, saith the Lord. And upon my house shall it begin, and from my house shall it go forth, saith the Lord; First among those among you, saith the Lord, who have professed to know my name and have not known me, and have blasphemed against me in the midst of my house, saith the Lord.” (D&C 112:23-26)

“When men are called unto mine everlasting gospel, and covenant with an everlasting covenant, they are accounted as the salt of the earth and the savor of men; They are called to be the savor of men; therefore, if that salt of the earth lose its savor, behold, it is thenceforth good for nothing only to be cast out and trodden under the feet of men.” (D&C 101:39-40)

“Now these words, O Lord, we have spoken before thee, concerning the revelations and commandments which thou hast given unto us, who are identified with the Gentiles.” (D&C 109:60)

“For there is not a place found on earth that he may come to and restore again that which was lost unto you, or which he hath taken away, even the fulness of the priesthood.” (D&C 124:28)
QUOTES FROM CHURCH LEADERS, ETC.
Joseph Smith wrote:“You will live to see men arise in power in the Church who will seek to put down your friends and the friends of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Many will be hoisted because of their money and the worldly learning which they seem to be in possession of; and many who are the true followers of our Lord and Savior will be cast down because of their poverty.” (Mosiah Hancock Journal, pg. 19)
Brigham Young wrote:“When ‘Mormonism’ finds favor with the wicked in this land, it will have gone into the shade; but until the power of the Priesthood is gone, ‘Mormonism’ will never become popular with the wicked.” (JD 4:38)

“And when the spirit of persecution, the spirit of hatred, of wrath, and malice ceases in the world against this people, it will be the time that this people have apostatized and joined hands with the wicked, and never until then; which I pray may never come.” (JD 4:326-327)

“What a pity it would be if we were led by one man to utter destruction! Are you afraid of this? I am more afraid that this people have so much confidence in their leaders that they will not inquire for themselves of God whether they are led by Him. I am fearful they settle down in a state of blind self-security, trusting their eternal destiny in the hands of their leaders with a reckless confidence that in itself would thwart the purposes of God in their salvation, and weaken that influence they could give to their leaders, did they know for themselves, by the revelations of Jesus, that they are led in the right way. Let every man and woman know, by the whispering of the Spirit of God to themselves, whether their leaders are walking in the path the Lord dictates, or not. This has been my exhortation continually.” (JD 9:150)

“There is nothing that would so soon weaken my hope and discourage me as to see this people in full fellowship with the world, and receive no more persecution from them because they are one with them. In such an event, we might bid farewell to the Holy Priesthood with all its blessings, privileges and aids to exaltations, principalities and powers in the eternities of the Gods.” (JD 10:32)

“When we see the time that we can willingly strike hands and have full fellowship with those who despise the Kingdom of God, know ye then that the Priesthood of the Son of God is out of your possession. Let us be careful how we make friends with and fellowship unrighteousness, lest the curse of God descends heavily upon us.” (JD 10:273)

“They would come now by thousands and thousands, if the Latter-day Saints were only popular. ‘What, these honorable men?’ Yes, they would say, ‘I want to be baptized. I admire your industry, and your skill in governing. You have a system of governing that is not to be found anywhere else. You know how to govern cities, territories, or the world, and I would like to join you.’ But take care if you join this people without the love of God in your soul it will do you no good. If they were to do this, they would bring in their sophistry, and introduce that which would poison the innocent and honest and lead them astray. I look at this, and I am satisfied that it will not do for the Lord to make this people popular. Why? Because all hell would want to be in the Church. The people must be kept where the finger of scorn can be pointed at them. Although it is admitted that we are honest, industrious, truthful, virtuous, self-denying, and, as a community, possess every moral excellence, yet we must be looked upon as ignorant and unworthy, and as the offscouring of society, and be hated by the world. What is the reason of this? Christ and Baal can not become friends. When I see this people grow and spread and prosper, I feel that there is more danger than when they are in poverty. Being driven from city to city or into the mountains is nothing compared to the danger of our becoming rich and being hailed by outsiders as a first-class community. I am afraid of only one thing. What is that? That we will not live our religion, and that we will partially slide a little from the path of rectitude, and go part of the way to meet our friends. (JD 12:272.)

“Brethren, this Church will be led onto the very brink of hell by the leaders of this people. Then God will raise the one mighty and strong, spoken of in the 85th Section of the Doctrine and Covenants, to save and redeem this Church.” (Provo Bowery Conference, 24 August 1867, L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah, page 106. See also The Complete Discourses of Brigham Young, volume 4, edited by Richard S. Van Wagoner [Salt Lake City: The Smith-Pettit Foundation, 2009], pages 2478–2479)

“The President [Brigham Young] stopped with us. He sat at the head of the table and had me sit down at his right. The President, when everything was ready, asked a blessing, then all began to eat. He asked for some buttermilk, then crumbled some bread in it and began to eat. He conversed freely on the situation of the Saints in the mountains, and said that he dreaded the time when the Saints would become popular with the world; for he had seen in sorrow, in a dream, or in dreams, this people clothed in the fashions of Babylon, and drinking in the spirit of Babylon until one could hardly tell a Saint from a black-leg. And he felt like shouting, ‘To your tents, Oh Israel!’ because it was the only thing that could keep this people pure. Many of this people for the sake of riches and popularity, will sell themselves for that which will canker their souls and lead them down to misery and despair. It would be better for them to dwell in wigwams among the Indians than to dwell with the gentiles and miss the glories which God wishes them to obtain. I wish my families would see the point and come forth before it is too late. For oh, I can see the tendency in my families to hug the moth eaten customs of Babylon to their bosoms. This is far more hurtful to them than the deadly viper; for the poisons of the viper can be healed by the power of God. but the customs of Babylon will be hard to get rid of.” (Mosiah Hancock Journal, pg. 73)
John Taylor wrote:“I would be surprised if ten percent of those who claim to hold the Melchizedek priesthood will remain faithful to the gospel at the time of the seventh president and that there would be thousands that think they hold the priesthood at that time, but would not have it properly conferred upon them.” (Minutes of a meeting, 7 September 1886)
George A. Smith wrote:“The Lord says, ‘Woe unto you when all men speak well of you.’ Sometimes I have known the papers say this and that good thing about the ‘Mormons,’ and I have said, ‘What’s up? Are we getting wicked, that the world loves us?’” (JD 13:297)
Orson Pratt wrote:“What kind of a revolution would it work among the Latter-day Saints if the revelation given in March, 1831, were carried out by them, ‘It is not given that one man should possess that which is above another, wherefore the world lieth in sin?’ How much of a revolution would it accomplish in Salt Lake City if this order of things should be brought about? I think it would work a greater revolution among this people than has ever been witnessed amongst them since they had an existence as a Church.” (JD 15:355-356)

“There must be a reformation. There will be a reformation among this people, but He will plead with the stronger ones of Zion, He will plead with this people, He will plead with those in high places, He will plead with the priesthood of this church, until Zion shall become clean before him. I do not know but what it would be an utter impossibility to commence and carry out some principles pertaining to Zion right in the midst of this people. They have strayed so far that to get a people who would conform to heavenly laws it may be needful to lead some from the midst of this people and commence anew in the regions round about in these mountains.” (JD 15:360)
Joseph Fielding Smith wrote:“It is the L. D. Saints who have transgressed the laws, change the ordinance, broke the everlasting covenant.” (Joseph Fielding Smith, Deseret News, Church Section, 17 October 1936)

“It is a very apparent fact that we have traveled far and wide in the past 20 years. What the future will bring I do not know. But if we drift as far afield from fundamental things in the next 20 years, what will be left of the foundation laid by the Prophet Joseph Smith? It is easy for one who observes to see how the apostasy came about in the primitive church of Christ. Are we not traveling the same road?” (Joseph Fielding Smith Journal, 28 December 1938)
J. Reuben Clark wrote:“I tell you we are beginning to follow along the course of the early Christian church. So long as that church was persecuted from without, it prospered, but when it began to be polluted from within, the church began to wither. There is creeping into our midst, and I warn you brethren about it, and I urge you to meet it, a great host of sectarian doctrines that have no place amongst us. The gospel in its simplicity, is to be found in the revelations, the teachings of the Prophet and the early leaders of the Church.” (Conference Report, October 1944, pg. 117-118)

“Even during the time of the apostles there began to be a falling away, as is clear from the Epistles of Paul, of Peter, John, James, and Jude. People began to wander off, and that wandering was increased in the succeeding centuries, accumulating speed, it seems, as it went on. They began to gather into church teachings things to make Christianity a little more palatable to the philosophers of the time. . . . They were trying to satisfy the thought and the philosophy and the reasoning of men, in order that they might have their support and probably their praise. . . . There is a deep lesson in all of that for us today. Already there are coming in amongst us doctrines that have no part or place in the pure doctrines of the restored gospel. These heresies are creeping in insidiously. They come to us from the philosophies of the Christian scholars of the day. They make our doctrines, as they made the early Christian beliefs, more palatable to our philosophers, but so surely as they destroyed the Christian church in the early days, just so surely will they destroy us if we do not stop them where they are.” (Conference Report, October 1945, pg. 165-166)

“The ravening wolves are amongst us, from our own membership, and they, more than any others, are clothed in sheep's clothing, because they wear the habiliments of the priesthood . . . We should be careful of them.” (Conference Report, April 1949)

“In the early church the Saints were extremely anxious for two things: First, to be well thought of by the pagans. Their ears itched for praise. Do any of you brethren know anything about such a tendency as that?” (In ‘Remarks at Bishop’s Meeting’, 29 September 1950, J. Reuben Clark Papers, box 151, L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah)

“Read your books. There is a startling parallel between the course that is coming in to us today and the course that was in the early Church, so startling that one becomes fearful.” (Conference Report, April 1952, pg. 81)
Ezra Taft Benson wrote:“Not only are there apostates within our midst, but there are also apostate doctrines that are sometimes taught in our classes and from our pulpits and that appear in our publications. And these apostate precepts of men cause our people to stumble. As the Book of Mormon, speaking of our day, states: ‘They have all gone astray save it be a few, who are the humble followers of Christ; nevertheless, they are led, that in many instances they do err because they are taught by the precepts of men’ (2 Nephi 28:14).” (Teachings of Ezra Taft Benson, pg. 89-90)

“Watchmen - what of the night? We must respond by saying that all is not well in Zion.” (Conference Report, May 1986, pg. 4, See Isaiah 21:11, 2 Nephi 28:21)

"There are more people in that building (Church Office Building) that I am more afraid of than anyone in Washington, D.C." (Conversation with Stan Malstrom)
Spencer W. Kimball wrote:“When I review the performance of this people in comparison with what is expected, I am appalled and frightened. If we insist on spending all our time and resources building up for ourselves a worldly kingdom, that is exactly what we will inherit. In spite of our delight in defining ourselves as modern, and our tendency to think we possess a sophistication that no people in the past ever had—in spite of these things, we are, on the whole, an idolatrous people—a condition most repugnant to the Lord.” (Ensign, June 1976)
H. Verlan Andersen wrote:“Moroni was similarly explicit in predicting false teachings among the saints. Reflect upon the unmistakable implications of this point-blank indictment of members of the ‘holy church of God:’
‘O ye pollutions, ye hypocrites, ye teachers, who sell yourselves for that which will canker, why have ye polluted the holy church of God?’ (Mormon 8:38)
Since there is only one ‘holy church of God’ on earth, and since it is being polluted, the blame therefore appears to rest upon the teachers and hypocrites within that church.” (The Great and Abominable Church of the Devil, pg. 170-171)

“Religious history testifies that, with the single exception of the inhabitants of the City of Enoch, no people to whom the gospel has been given have remained faithful to their covenants for more than a few generations. Time after time the Lord has established his Church among a group who have lived his commandments for a few years and then fallen away thus bringing upon themselves his judgments. This cycle of human folly which so many prophets have noted, has repeated itself with such consistent regularity, that any group which finds itself to be the favored recipients of the gospel would do well to assume that their own apostasy is certain and the only question about it is how long it will take. . . . The fact that the Lord has found it necessary to restore his gospel so many times is in itself evidence of the regularity with which apostasy has occurred because the only thing which will cause the destruction of his Church is the wickedness of its members. . . . The prophet, Mormon, whose labors as a historian gave him an opportunity to observe the frequency of the righteousness-wickedness-punishment cycle, spoke of it as though it were a law of life which operates as a certain consequence of universal human weakness. . . . The Church is in deep trouble because seldom, if ever, has any group been as prosperous as it is today. . . . After 140 years of growth, membership numbers in the millions, persecution has largely vanished, and instead of ostracism, members are, for the most part accepted and respected. . . . To fail to consider the possibility that the members of the church are again ‘falling away’ would be to ignore one of the most thoroughly documented lessons of history.” (The Great and Abominable Church of the Devil, pg. 178, 179, 180)
Boyd K. Packer wrote:“In recent years I have felt, and I think I am not alone, that we were losing the ability to correct the course of the Church. You can not appreciate how deeply I feel about the importance of this present opportunity unless you know the regard, the reverence, I have for the Book of Mormon and how seriously I have taken the warnings of the prophets, particularly Alma and Helaman. Both Alma and Helaman told of the church in their day. They warned about fast growth, the desire to be accepted by the world, to be popular, and particularly they warned about prosperity. Each time those conditions existed in combination, the Church drifted off course. All of those conditions are present in the Church today. Helaman repeatedly warned, I think four times he used these words, that the fatal drift of the church could occur ‘in the space of not many years.’ In one instance it took only six years. (See Helaman 6:32; 7:6; 11:26.)” (‘Let Them Govern Themselves’, Address given at Regional Representatives Seminar, 30 March 1990)
We are in apostasy, it is unmistakable and undeniable. Turn to God, accept the truth, and repent brothers and sisters! Repent and come unto Christ! Come unto Him and partake of His goodness. Come to KNOW Him -- for this is life eternal, to know the only true God and Jesus Christ whom He has sent. (John 17:3)

Alexander
the Great
Location: amongst the brotherhood of the Black Robed Regiment; cocked hat and cocked rifle

Re: The Apostasy of the Latter Days

Post by Alexander »

1 Nephi 22
22 And the righteous need not fear, for they are those who shall not be confounded. But it is the kingdom of the devil, which shall be built up among the children of men, which kingdom is established among them which are in the flesh—
23 For the time speedily shall come that all churches which are built up to get gain, and all those who are built up to get power over the flesh, and those who are built up to become popular in the eyes of the world, and those who seek the lusts of the flesh and the things of the world, and to do all manner of iniquity; yea, in fine, all those who belong to the kingdom of the devil are they who need fear, and tremble, and quake; they are those who must be brought low in the dust; they are those who must be consumed as stubble; and this is according to the words of the prophet.

Alexander
the Great
Location: amongst the brotherhood of the Black Robed Regiment; cocked hat and cocked rifle

Post by Alexander »

Mormon 8
27 And it shall come in a day when the blood of saints shall cry unto the Lord, because of secret combinations and the works of darkness.
28 Yea, it shall come in a day when the power of God shall be denied, and churches become defiled and be lifted up in the pride of their hearts; yea, even in a day when leaders of churches and teachers shall rise in the pride of their hearts, even to the envying of them who belong to their churches.

LDS Physician
captain of 1,000

Post by LDS Physician »

Thank you for compiling all of this in one place!

Hosh
captain of 100

Post by Hosh »

Luke wrote: May 15th, 2020, 10:46 am Here's something I've been working on. I know there's a lot more, feel free to add any more:

THE OLD TESTAMENT
Isaiah wrote:“Ah sinful nation, a people laden with iniquity, a seed of evildoers, children that are corrupters: they have forsaken the LORD, they have provoked the Holy One of Israel unto anger, they are gone away backward. Why should ye be stricken any more? ye will revolt more and more: the whole head is sick, and the whole heart faint. From the sole of the foot even unto the head there is no soundness in it; but wounds, and bruises, and putrifying sores: they have not been closed, neither bound up, neither mollified with ointment.” (Isaiah 1:4-6)

“The earth also is defiled under the inhabitants thereof; because they have transgressed the laws, changed the ordinance, broken the everlasting covenant.” (Isaiah 25:4)

“Woe to the crown of pride, to the drunkards of Ephraim, whose glorious beauty is a fading flower, which are on the head of the fat valleys of them that are overcome with wine! Behold, the Lord hath a mighty and strong one, which as a tempest of hail and a destroying storm, as a flood of mighty waters overflowing, shall cast down to the earth with the hand. The crown of pride, the drunkards of Ephraim, shall be trodden under feet: And the glorious beauty, which is on the head of the fat valley, shall be a fading flower, and as the hasty fruit before the summer; which when he that looketh upon it seeth, while it is yet in his hand he eateth it up. In that day shall the LORD of hosts be for a crown of glory, and for a diadem of beauty, unto the residue of his people, And for a spirit of judgment to him that sitteth in judgment, and for strength to them that turn the battle to the gate. But they also have erred through wine, and through strong drink are out of the way; the priest and the prophet have erred through strong drink, they are swallowed up of wine, they are out of the way through strong drink; they err in vision, they stumble in judgment. For all tables are full of vomit and filthiness, so that there is no place clean.” (Isaiah 28:1-8)

“Wherefore hear the word of the LORD, ye scornful men, that rule this people which is in Jerusalem. Because ye have said, We have made a covenant with death, and with hell are we at agreement; when the overflowing scourge shall pass through, it shall not come unto us: for we have made lies our refuge, and under falsehood have we hid ourselves: Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD, Behold, I lay in Zion for a foundation a stone, a tried stone, a precious corner stone, a sure foundation: he that believeth shall not make haste. Judgment also will I lay to the line, and righteousness to the plummet: and the hail shall sweep away the refuge of lies, and the waters shall overflow the hiding place. And your covenant with death shall be disannulled, and your agreement with hell shall not stand; when the overflowing scourge shall pass through, then ye shall be trodden down by it.” (Isaiah 28:14-18)

“Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men:” (Isaiah 29:13)

“His watchmen are blind: they are all ignorant, they are all dumb dogs, they cannot bark; sleeping, lying down, loving to slumber. Yea, they are greedy dogs which can never have enough, and they are shepherds that cannot understand: they all look to their own way, every one for his gain, from his quarter. Come ye, say they, I will fetch wine, and we will fill ourselves with strong drink; and to morrow shall be as this day, and much more abundant.” (Isaiah 56:10-12)
Hosea wrote:“For Israel hath forgotten his Maker, and buildeth temples; and Judah hath multiplied fenced cities: but I will send a fire upon his cities, and it shall devour the palaces thereof.” (Hosea 8:14)
THE BOOK OF MORMON
Nephi, quoting Isaiah from the Brass Plates wrote:“Hearken and hear this, O house of Jacob, who are called by the name of Israel, and are come forth out of the waters of Judah, or out of the waters of baptism, who swear by the name of the Lord and make mention of the God of Israel, yet they swear not in truth nor in righteousness. Nevertheless, they call themselves of the holy city, but they do not stay themselves upon the God of Israel, who is the Lord of Hosts; yea, the Lord of Hosts is his name.” (1 Nephi 20:1-2, See Isaiah 48:1-2)

“And again: Hearken, O ye house of Israel, all ye that are broken off and are driven out because of the wickedness of the pastors of my people; yea, all ye that are broken off, that are scattered abroad, who are of my people, O house of Israel. Listen, O isles, unto me, and hearken ye people from far; the Lord hath called me from the womb; from the bowels of my mother hath he made mention of my name.” (1 Nephi 21:1, See Isaiah 49:1)

“Yea, for thus saith the Lord: Have I put thee away, or have I cast thee off forever? For thus saith the Lord: Where is the bill of your mother's divorcement? To whom have I put thee away, or to which of my creditors have I sold you? Yea, to whom have I sold you? Behold, for your iniquities have ye sold yourselves, and for your transgressions is your mother put away.” (2 Nephi 7:1, See Isaiah 50:1)

“O house of Jacob, come ye and let us walk in the light of the Lord; yea, come, for ye have all gone astray, every one to his wicked ways.” (2 Nephi 12:5, See Isaiah 2:5)

“And my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they who lead thee cause thee to err and destroy the way of thy paths.” (2 Nephi 13:12, See Isaiah 3:12)

“And then will I sing to my well-beloved a song of my beloved, touching his vineyard. My well-beloved hath a vineyard in a very fruitful hill. And he fenced it, and gathered out the stones thereof, and planted it with the choicest vine, and built a tower in the midst of it, and also made a wine-press therein; and he looked that it should bring forth grapes, and it brought forth wild grapes. And now, O inhabitants of Jerusalem, and men of Judah, judge, I pray you, betwixt me and my vineyard. What could have been done more to my vineyard that I have not done in it? Wherefore, when I looked that it should bring forth grapes it brought forth wild grapes.” (2 Nephi 15:1-4, See Isaiah 5:1-4)

“For the people turneth not unto him that smiteth them, neither do they seek the Lord of Hosts. Therefore will the Lord cut off from Israel head and tail, branch and rush in one day. The ancient, he is the head; and the prophet that teacheth lies, he is the tail. For the leaders of this people cause them to err; and they that are led of them are destroyed.” (2 Nephi 19:13-16, See Isaiah 9:13-16)
Nephi wrote:“Yea, they have all gone out of the way; they have become corrupted. Because of pride, and because of false teachers, and false doctrine, their churches have become corrupted, and their churches are lifted up; because of pride they are puffed up. They rob the poor because of their fine sanctuaries; they rob the poor because of their fine clothing; and they persecute the meek and the poor in heart, because in their pride they are puffed up. They wear stiff necks and high heads; yea, and because of pride, and wickedness, and abominations, and whoredoms, they have all gone astray save it be a few, who are the humble followers of Christ; nevertheless, they are led, that in many instances they do err because they are taught by the precepts of men. O the wise, and the learned, and the rich, that are puffed up in the pride of their hearts, and all those who preach false doctrines, and all those who commit whoredoms, and pervert the right way of the Lord, wo, wo, wo be unto them, saith the Lord God Almighty, for they shall be thrust down to hell!” (2 Nephi 28:11-15)

“And others will he pacify, and lull them away into carnal security, that they will say: All is well in Zion; yea, Zion prospereth, all is well—and thus the devil cheateth their souls, and leadeth them away carefully down to hell.” (2 Nephi 28:21)
The Saviour wrote:“And thus commandeth the Father that I should say unto you: At that day when the Gentiles shall sin against my gospel, and shall reject the fulness of my gospel, and shall be lifted up in the pride of their hearts above all nations, and above all the people of the whole earth, and shall be filled with all manner of lyings, and of deceits, and of mischiefs, and all manner of hypocrisy, and murders, and priestcrafts, and whoredoms, and of secret abominations; and if they shall do all those things, and shall reject the fulness of my gospel, behold, saith the Father, I will bring the fulness of my gospel from among them. But if they will not turn unto me, and hearken unto my voice, I will suffer them, yea, I will suffer my people, O house of Israel, that they shall go through among them, and shall tread them down, and they shall be as salt that hath lost its savor, which is thenceforth good for nothing but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of my people, O house of Israel.” (3 Nephi 16:10, 15) (See D&C 101:39-40 and D&C 109:60 to understand who the Salt and who the Gentiles are)
Moroni wrote:“O ye wicked and perverse and stiffnecked people, why have ye built up churches unto yourselves to get gain? Why have ye transfigured the holy word of God, that ye might bring damnation upon your souls? Behold, look ye unto the revelations of God; for behold, the time cometh at that day when all these things must be fulfilled. Behold, the Lord hath shown unto me great and marvelous things concerning that which must shortly come, at that day when these things shall come forth among you. Behold, I speak unto you as if ye were present, and yet ye are not. But behold, Jesus Christ hath shown you unto me, and I know your doing. And I know that ye do walk in the pride of your hearts; and there are none save a few only who do not lift themselves up in the pride of their hearts, unto the wearing of very fine apparel, unto envying, and strifes, and malice, and persecutions, and all manner of iniquities; and your churches, yea, even every one, have become polluted because of the pride of your hearts. For behold, ye do love money, and your substance, and your fine apparel, and the adorning of your churches, more than ye love the poor and the needy, the sick and the afflicted. O ye pollutions, ye hypocrites, ye teachers, who sell yourselves for that which will canker, why have ye polluted the holy church of God? Why are ye ashamed to take upon you the name of Christ? Why do ye not think that greater is the value of an endless happiness than that misery which never dies—because of the praise of the world? Why do ye adorn yourselves with that which hath no life, and yet suffer the hungry, and the needy, and the naked, and the sick and the afflicted to pass by you, and notice them not? Yea, why do ye build up your secret abominations to get gain, and cause that widows should mourn before the Lord, and also orphans to mourn before the Lord, and also the blood of their fathers and their husbands to cry unto the Lord from the ground, for vengeance upon your heads? Behold, the sword of vengeance hangeth over you; and the time soon cometh that he avengeth the blood of the saints upon you, for he will not suffer their cries any longer.” (Mormon 8:33-41)
THE DOCTRINE AND COVENANTS
“And when the times of the Gentiles is come in, a light shall break forth among them that sit in darkness, and it shall be the fulness of my gospel; But they receive it not; for they perceive not the light, and they turn their hearts from me because of the precepts of men. And in that generation shall the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled.” (D&C 45:28-30)

“And by this you may know the righteous from the wicked, and that the whole world groaneth under sin and darkness even now. And your minds in times past have been darkened because of unbelief, and because you have treated lightly the things you have received—Which vanity and unbelief have brought the whole church under condemnation. And this condemnation resteth upon the children of Zion, even all. And they shall remain under this condemnation until they repent and remember the new covenant, even the Book of Mormon and the former commandments which I have given them, not only to say, but to do according to that which I have written—That they may bring forth fruit meet for their Father's kingdom; otherwise there remaineth a scourge and judgment to be poured out upon the children of Zion. For shall the children of the kingdom pollute my holy land? Verily, I say unto you, Nay.” (D&C 84:53-59)

“And it shall come to pass that I, the Lord God, will send one mighty and strong, holding the scepter of power in his hand, clothed with light for a covering, whose mouth shall utter words, eternal words; while his bowels shall be a fountain of truth, to set in order the house of God, and to arrange by lot the inheritances of the saints whose names are found, and the names of their fathers, and of their children, enrolled in the book of the law of God;” (D&C 85:7)

“Verily, verily, I say unto you, darkness covereth the earth, and gross darkness the minds of the people, and all flesh has become corrupt before my face. Behold, vengeance cometh speedily upon the inhabitants of the earth, a day of wrath, a day of burning, a day of desolation, of weeping, of mourning, and of lamentation; and as a whirlwind it shall come upon all the face of the earth, saith the Lord. And upon my house shall it begin, and from my house shall it go forth, saith the Lord; First among those among you, saith the Lord, who have professed to know my name and have not known me, and have blasphemed against me in the midst of my house, saith the Lord.” (D&C 112:23-26)

“When men are called unto mine everlasting gospel, and covenant with an everlasting covenant, they are accounted as the salt of the earth and the savor of men; They are called to be the savor of men; therefore, if that salt of the earth lose its savor, behold, it is thenceforth good for nothing only to be cast out and trodden under the feet of men.” (D&C 101:39-40)

“Now these words, O Lord, we have spoken before thee, concerning the revelations and commandments which thou hast given unto us, who are identified with the Gentiles.” (D&C 109:60)

“For there is not a place found on earth that he may come to and restore again that which was lost unto you, or which he hath taken away, even the fulness of the priesthood.” (D&C 124:28)
QUOTES FROM CHURCH LEADERS, ETC.
Joseph Smith wrote:“You will live to see men arise in power in the Church who will seek to put down your friends and the friends of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Many will be hoisted because of their money and the worldly learning which they seem to be in possession of; and many who are the true followers of our Lord and Savior will be cast down because of their poverty.” (Mosiah Hancock Journal, pg. 19)
Brigham Young wrote:“When ‘Mormonism’ finds favor with the wicked in this land, it will have gone into the shade; but until the power of the Priesthood is gone, ‘Mormonism’ will never become popular with the wicked.” (JD 4:38)

“And when the spirit of persecution, the spirit of hatred, of wrath, and malice ceases in the world against this people, it will be the time that this people have apostatized and joined hands with the wicked, and never until then; which I pray may never come.” (JD 4:326-327)

“What a pity it would be if we were led by one man to utter destruction! Are you afraid of this? I am more afraid that this people have so much confidence in their leaders that they will not inquire for themselves of God whether they are led by Him. I am fearful they settle down in a state of blind self-security, trusting their eternal destiny in the hands of their leaders with a reckless confidence that in itself would thwart the purposes of God in their salvation, and weaken that influence they could give to their leaders, did they know for themselves, by the revelations of Jesus, that they are led in the right way. Let every man and woman know, by the whispering of the Spirit of God to themselves, whether their leaders are walking in the path the Lord dictates, or not. This has been my exhortation continually.” (JD 9:150)

“There is nothing that would so soon weaken my hope and discourage me as to see this people in full fellowship with the world, and receive no more persecution from them because they are one with them. In such an event, we might bid farewell to the Holy Priesthood with all its blessings, privileges and aids to exaltations, principalities and powers in the eternities of the Gods.” (JD 10:32)

“When we see the time that we can willingly strike hands and have full fellowship with those who despise the Kingdom of God, know ye then that the Priesthood of the Son of God is out of your possession. Let us be careful how we make friends with and fellowship unrighteousness, lest the curse of God descends heavily upon us.” (JD 10:273)

“They would come now by thousands and thousands, if the Latter-day Saints were only popular. ‘What, these honorable men?’ Yes, they would say, ‘I want to be baptized. I admire your industry, and your skill in governing. You have a system of governing that is not to be found anywhere else. You know how to govern cities, territories, or the world, and I would like to join you.’ But take care if you join this people without the love of God in your soul it will do you no good. If they were to do this, they would bring in their sophistry, and introduce that which would poison the innocent and honest and lead them astray. I look at this, and I am satisfied that it will not do for the Lord to make this people popular. Why? Because all hell would want to be in the Church. The people must be kept where the finger of scorn can be pointed at them. Although it is admitted that we are honest, industrious, truthful, virtuous, self-denying, and, as a community, possess every moral excellence, yet we must be looked upon as ignorant and unworthy, and as the offscouring of society, and be hated by the world. What is the reason of this? Christ and Baal can not become friends. When I see this people grow and spread and prosper, I feel that there is more danger than when they are in poverty. Being driven from city to city or into the mountains is nothing compared to the danger of our becoming rich and being hailed by outsiders as a first-class community. I am afraid of only one thing. What is that? That we will not live our religion, and that we will partially slide a little from the path of rectitude, and go part of the way to meet our friends. (JD 12:272.)

“Brethren, this Church will be led onto the very brink of hell by the leaders of this people. Then God will raise the one mighty and strong, spoken of in the 85th Section of the Doctrine and Covenants, to save and redeem this Church.” (Provo Bowery Conference, 24 August 1867, L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah, page 106. See also The Complete Discourses of Brigham Young, volume 4, edited by Richard S. Van Wagoner [Salt Lake City: The Smith-Pettit Foundation, 2009], pages 2478–2479)

“The President [Brigham Young] stopped with us. He sat at the head of the table and had me sit down at his right. The President, when everything was ready, asked a blessing, then all began to eat. He asked for some buttermilk, then crumbled some bread in it and began to eat. He conversed freely on the situation of the Saints in the mountains, and said that he dreaded the time when the Saints would become popular with the world; for he had seen in sorrow, in a dream, or in dreams, this people clothed in the fashions of Babylon, and drinking in the spirit of Babylon until one could hardly tell a Saint from a black-leg. And he felt like shouting, ‘To your tents, Oh Israel!’ because it was the only thing that could keep this people pure. Many of this people for the sake of riches and popularity, will sell themselves for that which will canker their souls and lead them down to misery and despair. It would be better for them to dwell in wigwams among the Indians than to dwell with the gentiles and miss the glories which God wishes them to obtain. I wish my families would see the point and come forth before it is too late. For oh, I can see the tendency in my families to hug the moth eaten customs of Babylon to their bosoms. This is far more hurtful to them than the deadly viper; for the poisons of the viper can be healed by the power of God. but the customs of Babylon will be hard to get rid of.” (Mosiah Hancock Journal, pg. 73)
John Taylor wrote:“I would be surprised if ten percent of those who claim to hold the Melchizedek priesthood will remain faithful to the gospel at the time of the seventh president and that there would be thousands that think they hold the priesthood at that time, but would not have it properly conferred upon them.” (Minutes of a meeting, 7 September 1886)
George A. Smith wrote:“The Lord says, ‘Woe unto you when all men speak well of you.’ Sometimes I have known the papers say this and that good thing about the ‘Mormons,’ and I have said, ‘What’s up? Are we getting wicked, that the world loves us?’” (JD 13:297)
Orson Pratt wrote:“What kind of a revolution would it work among the Latter-day Saints if the revelation given in March, 1831, were carried out by them, ‘It is not given that one man should possess that which is above another, wherefore the world lieth in sin?’ How much of a revolution would it accomplish in Salt Lake City if this order of things should be brought about? I think it would work a greater revolution among this people than has ever been witnessed amongst them since they had an existence as a Church.” (JD 15:355-356)

“There must be a reformation. There will be a reformation among this people, but He will plead with the stronger ones of Zion, He will plead with this people, He will plead with those in high places, He will plead with the priesthood of this church, until Zion shall become clean before him. I do not know but what it would be an utter impossibility to commence and carry out some principles pertaining to Zion right in the midst of this people. They have strayed so far that to get a people who would conform to heavenly laws it may be needful to lead some from the midst of this people and commence anew in the regions round about in these mountains.” (JD 15:360)
Joseph Fielding Smith wrote:“It is the L. D. Saints who have transgressed the laws, change the ordinance, broke the everlasting covenant.” (Joseph Fielding Smith, Deseret News, Church Section, 17 October 1936)

“It is a very apparent fact that we have traveled far and wide in the past 20 years. What the future will bring I do not know. But if we drift as far afield from fundamental things in the next 20 years, what will be left of the foundation laid by the Prophet Joseph Smith? It is easy for one who observes to see how the apostasy came about in the primitive church of Christ. Are we not traveling the same road?” (Joseph Fielding Smith Journal, 28 December 1938)
J. Reuben Clark wrote:“I tell you we are beginning to follow along the course of the early Christian church. So long as that church was persecuted from without, it prospered, but when it began to be polluted from within, the church began to wither. There is creeping into our midst, and I warn you brethren about it, and I urge you to meet it, a great host of sectarian doctrines that have no place amongst us. The gospel in its simplicity, is to be found in the revelations, the teachings of the Prophet and the early leaders of the Church.” (Conference Report, October 1944, pg. 117-118)

“Even during the time of the apostles there began to be a falling away, as is clear from the Epistles of Paul, of Peter, John, James, and Jude. People began to wander off, and that wandering was increased in the succeeding centuries, accumulating speed, it seems, as it went on. They began to gather into church teachings things to make Christianity a little more palatable to the philosophers of the time. . . . They were trying to satisfy the thought and the philosophy and the reasoning of men, in order that they might have their support and probably their praise. . . . There is a deep lesson in all of that for us today. Already there are coming in amongst us doctrines that have no part or place in the pure doctrines of the restored gospel. These heresies are creeping in insidiously. They come to us from the philosophies of the Christian scholars of the day. They make our doctrines, as they made the early Christian beliefs, more palatable to our philosophers, but so surely as they destroyed the Christian church in the early days, just so surely will they destroy us if we do not stop them where they are.” (Conference Report, October 1945, pg. 165-166)

“The ravening wolves are amongst us, from our own membership, and they, more than any others, are clothed in sheep's clothing, because they wear the habiliments of the priesthood . . . We should be careful of them.” (Conference Report, April 1949)

“In the early church the Saints were extremely anxious for two things: First, to be well thought of by the pagans. Their ears itched for praise. Do any of you brethren know anything about such a tendency as that?” (In ‘Remarks at Bishop’s Meeting’, 29 September 1950, J. Reuben Clark Papers, box 151, L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah)

“Read your books. There is a startling parallel between the course that is coming in to us today and the course that was in the early Church, so startling that one becomes fearful.” (Conference Report, April 1952, pg. 81)
Ezra Taft Benson wrote:“Not only are there apostates within our midst, but there are also apostate doctrines that are sometimes taught in our classes and from our pulpits and that appear in our publications. And these apostate precepts of men cause our people to stumble. As the Book of Mormon, speaking of our day, states: ‘They have all gone astray save it be a few, who are the humble followers of Christ; nevertheless, they are led, that in many instances they do err because they are taught by the precepts of men’ (2 Nephi 28:14).” (Teachings of Ezra Taft Benson, pg. 89-90)

“Watchmen - what of the night? We must respond by saying that all is not well in Zion.” (Conference Report, May 1986, pg. 4, See Isaiah 21:11, 2 Nephi 28:21)

"There are more people in that building (Church Office Building) that I am more afraid of than anyone in Washington, D.C." (Conversation with Stan Malstrom)
Spencer W. Kimball wrote:“When I review the performance of this people in comparison with what is expected, I am appalled and frightened. If we insist on spending all our time and resources building up for ourselves a worldly kingdom, that is exactly what we will inherit. In spite of our delight in defining ourselves as modern, and our tendency to think we possess a sophistication that no people in the past ever had—in spite of these things, we are, on the whole, an idolatrous people—a condition most repugnant to the Lord.” (Ensign, June 1976)
H. Verlan Andersen wrote:“Moroni was similarly explicit in predicting false teachings among the saints. Reflect upon the unmistakable implications of this point-blank indictment of members of the ‘holy church of God:’
‘O ye pollutions, ye hypocrites, ye teachers, who sell yourselves for that which will canker, why have ye polluted the holy church of God?’ (Mormon 8:38)
Since there is only one ‘holy church of God’ on earth, and since it is being polluted, the blame therefore appears to rest upon the teachers and hypocrites within that church.” (The Great and Abominable Church of the Devil, pg. 170-171)

“Religious history testifies that, with the single exception of the inhabitants of the City of Enoch, no people to whom the gospel has been given have remained faithful to their covenants for more than a few generations. Time after time the Lord has established his Church among a group who have lived his commandments for a few years and then fallen away thus bringing upon themselves his judgments. This cycle of human folly which so many prophets have noted, has repeated itself with such consistent regularity, that any group which finds itself to be the favored recipients of the gospel would do well to assume that their own apostasy is certain and the only question about it is how long it will take. . . . The fact that the Lord has found it necessary to restore his gospel so many times is in itself evidence of the regularity with which apostasy has occurred because the only thing which will cause the destruction of his Church is the wickedness of its members. . . . The prophet, Mormon, whose labors as a historian gave him an opportunity to observe the frequency of the righteousness-wickedness-punishment cycle, spoke of it as though it were a law of life which operates as a certain consequence of universal human weakness. . . . The Church is in deep trouble because seldom, if ever, has any group been as prosperous as it is today. . . . After 140 years of growth, membership numbers in the millions, persecution has largely vanished, and instead of ostracism, members are, for the most part accepted and respected. . . . To fail to consider the possibility that the members of the church are again ‘falling away’ would be to ignore one of the most thoroughly documented lessons of history.” (The Great and Abominable Church of the Devil, pg. 178, 179, 180)
Boyd K. Packer wrote:“In recent years I have felt, and I think I am not alone, that we were losing the ability to correct the course of the Church. You can not appreciate how deeply I feel about the importance of this present opportunity unless you know the regard, the reverence, I have for the Book of Mormon and how seriously I have taken the warnings of the prophets, particularly Alma and Helaman. Both Alma and Helaman told of the church in their day. They warned about fast growth, the desire to be accepted by the world, to be popular, and particularly they warned about prosperity. Each time those conditions existed in combination, the Church drifted off course. All of those conditions are present in the Church today. Helaman repeatedly warned, I think four times he used these words, that the fatal drift of the church could occur ‘in the space of not many years.’ In one instance it took only six years. (See Helaman 6:32; 7:6; 11:26.)” (‘Let Them Govern Themselves’, Address given at Regional Representatives Seminar, 30 March 1990)
We are in apostasy, it is unmistakable and undeniable. Turn to God, accept the truth, and repent brothers and sisters! Repent and come unto Christ! Come unto Him and partake of His goodness. Come to KNOW Him -- for this is life eternal, to know the only true God and Jesus Christ whom He has sent. (John 17:3)
This is great. Thanks for posting!

Sephiroth
captain of 1,000

Post by Sephiroth »

But are the members or leaders the ones in apostasy. Or are both?

LDS Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by LDS Watchman »

Sephiroth wrote: May 17th, 2020, 12:41 am But are the members or leaders the ones in apostasy. Or are both?
Both

Isaiah 1

2 Hear, O heavens, and give ear, O earth: for the Lord hath spoken, I have nourished and brought up children, and they have rebelled against me.
3 The ox knoweth his owner, and the @#$ his master’s crib: but Israel doth not know, my people doth not consider.
4 Ah sinful nation, a people laden with iniquity, a seed of evildoers, children that are corrupters: they have forsaken the Lord, they have provoked the Holy One of Israel unto anger, they are gone away backward.
5 ¶ Why should ye be stricken any more? ye will revolt more and more: the whole head is sick, and the whole heart faint.
6 From the sole of the foot even unto the head there is no soundness in it;
but wounds, and bruises, and putrifying sores: they have not been closed, neither bound up, neither mollified with ointment.

mac
captain of 100

Post by mac »

In the early christian church was it the demise of the Apostles that caused the falling away, not at all.
It was the demise of the gifts of the holy ghost over the next few centuries that caused the failing away, the first gift to be cast out of the early church was the Gift of Tongues, so with it was cast out the gift of Interpretation of tongues and the spirit of prophecy, around the fourth century ad christian writers of the day lament the rarity of the spiritual gifts in the church.
In the early days of the RESTORED CHURCH the gifts of the spirit were common place, speaking in tongues/interpretation of tongues was to be witnessed thru out the branches in the states, canada, england, scotland etc,.
Nowadays they are gone, those that do so are swiftly cast out of the church, just like their counterparts in the early christian church, the meetings are lifeless, hyms are sung like whispered dirges, for the spirit of the lord is quenched, for men desire respectability not spirituality, learning, prosperity is desired not the things of God.
Moroni saw all this in vision and hence in his last moments apon this earth wrote on the gold plates to the Saints of the latter days concerning the gifts of the holy ghost and that when they ceased in the church it was because of a lack of faith in Christ.
As unworthy as I am I would that all men and women would look to the Lord Jesus and that what He did anciently He will do today, for He changes not and that were ever He finds faith great things will happen.
The LDS church needs to centre its vision apon Him as it did at first, to preach the simple milk of the Gospel, of Christ and Him crucified and that continually, to set aside judgement, and restore grace and mercy as its crowning jewels and to allow its faithfull members to exercise the gifts of the holy ghost as they are prompted to do so that all may be edified and comforted.
The meetings should be totally centred on the Saviour and church courts abolished and working with members suffering difficulties be the order of the day, in a non judgemental, loving way, always being mindfull that they themselves are sinners saved by the undeserved mercy of Christ themselves.
For Christ came not into this world to condemn but to save it..

cab
captain of 1,000
Location: ♫ I am a Mormon! ♫ And... dang it... a Mormon just believes! ♫

Post by cab »

mac wrote: October 5th, 2020, 8:05 pm In the early christian church was it the demise of the Apostles that caused the falling away, not at all.
It was the demise of the gifts of the holy ghost over the next few centuries that caused the failing away, the first gift to be cast out of the early church was the Gift of Tongues, so with it was cast out the gift of Interpretation of tongues and the spirit of prophecy, around the fourth century ad christian writers of the day lament the rarity of the spiritual gifts in the church.
In the early days of the RESTORED CHURCH the gifts of the spirit were common place, speaking in tongues/interpretation of tongues was to be witnessed thru out the branches in the states, canada, england, scotland etc,.
Nowadays they are gone, those that do so are swiftly cast out of the church, just like their counterparts in the early christian church, the meetings are lifeless, hyms are sung like whispered dirges, for the spirit of the lord is quenched, for men desire respectability not spirituality, learning, prosperity is desired not the things of God.
Moroni saw all this in vision and hence in his last moments apon this earth wrote on the gold plates to the Saints of the latter days concerning the gifts of the holy ghost and that when they ceased in the church it was because of a lack of faith in Christ.
As unworthy as I am I would that all men and women would look to the Lord Jesus and that what He did anciently He will do today, for He changes not and that were ever He finds faith great things will happen.
The LDS church needs to centre its vision apon Him as it did at first, to preach the simple milk of the Gospel, of Christ and Him crucified and that continually, to set aside judgement, and restore grace and mercy as its crowning jewels and to allow its faithfull members to exercise the gifts of the holy ghost as they are prompted to do so that all may be edified and comforted.
The meetings should be totally centred on the Saviour and church courts abolished and working with members suffering difficulties be the order of the day, in a non judgemental, loving way, always being mindfull that they themselves are sinners saved by the undeserved mercy of Christ themselves.

A-freakin-men
And the reality of the gift of the Holy Ghost ought to be preached... not assuming that we already have it, but that it is the thing which we most desire... to have our hearts changed and this wicked spirit to be rooted out of our breasts.. and in order to receive it our entire focus should be on submitting ourselves to Jesus as little children.

Alexander
the Great

Post by Alexander »

Ezekiel 22
23 And the word of the LORD came unto me, saying,
24 Son of man, say unto her, Thou art the land that is not cleansed, nor rained upon in the day of indignation.
25 There is a conspiracy of her prophets in the midst thereof, like a roaring lion ravening the prey; they have devoured souls; they have taken the treasure and precious things; they have made her many widows in the midst thereof.
26 Her priests have violated my law, and have profaned mine holy things: they have put no difference between the holy and profane, neither have they shewed difference between the unclean and the clean, and have hid their eyes from my sabbaths, and I am profaned among them.
27 Her princes in the midst thereof are like wolves ravening the prey, to shed blood, and to destroy souls, to get dishonest gain.
28 And her prophets have daubed them with untempered morter, seeing vanity, and divining lies unto them, saying, Thus saith the Lord GOD, when the LORD hath not spoken.
29 The people of the land have used oppression, and exercised robbery, and have vexed the poor and needy: yea, they have oppressed the stranger wrongfully.
30 And I sought for a man among them, that should make up the hedge, and stand in the gap before me for the land, that I should not destroy it: but I found none.
31 Therefore have I poured out mine indignation upon them; I have consumed them with the fire of my wrath: their own way have I recompensed upon their heads, saith the Lord GOD.

I Dont Know...
captain of 100

Post by I Dont Know... »

cab wrote: October 5th, 2020, 8:28 pm
mac wrote: October 5th, 2020, 8:05 pm In the early christian church was it the demise of the Apostles that caused the falling away, not at all.

A-freakin-men
And the reality of the gift of the Holy Ghost ought to be preached... not assuming that we already have it, but that it is the thing which we most desire... to have our hearts changed and this wicked spirit to be rooted out of our breasts.. and in order to receive it our entire focus should be on submitting ourselves to Jesus as little children.
One of the problems as I see it, many members of the LDS church fully believe the gift of the Holy Ghost is alive and well within their bosom. Simply by having this most precious of gifts bestowed. Without so much as raising a finger to invite the Holy spirit into their lives through true repentance, living a life in harmony with Christ's commandments and submitting in all things to Him.

I see many members who are lifted up in pride at the expense of their fellow members. Yet, claim to receive special gifts associated with those whose hearts are broken and whose spirits are contrite.

It truly is the blind leading the blind. There is much more that could be said but I am just over it.....!

Thank goodness for the rest of you who post such great references here!

Carry on as you were....! :)

MikeMaillet
captain of 1,000

Post by MikeMaillet »

A tip of the hat to Luke for compiling all of these references.

A while back I concluded that Joseph Smith never practiced polygamy and began to ignore the words of most church presidents that followed him. I'm realizing that this was a mistake and that many of the church presidents were very wise men who were touched by God to help steer the course of the modern church. They include Spencer Kimball, Ezra Benson and others.

Mike Maillet
Ingleside, Ontario

Lexew1899
captain of 1,000

Post by Lexew1899 »

It seems like it’s the nature of almost all people that receive the gospel to fall away. Perhaps the pride cycle?

Which makes Enoch and the city of Zion very rare.

What were the keys they lived to actually establish Zion?

Rumpelstiltskin
captain of 1,000

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

My family and I have been concentrating on studying the Gileadi translation of Isaiah and his Apocalyptic Commentary. I've got some of his books and bought access to some of his seminars. Talk about having your eyes opened! I have always known that most of the Latter-day Saints are full of hot air. I see the apostasy every time I get a quick pat on the back, a limp handshake, and then nothing for the remainder of the week. I see it when I ask for help for my cognitively impaired daughter. I see it when my bishop avoids me because I speak too many inconvenient truths. One of the brother's in my former ward committed suicide; he had SSA and couldn't deal with it. The bishop told me that he believed God called him home, so the brother hung himself. That bishop could have helped the brother had he listened to me about evil spirits, but he suffered from unbelief. I see the apostasy when I see the the longing for Babylon, when they worship at the altars of education, materialism, bigger houses, better cars, the holiday excursion, work, TV, movies, gotta have the new iPhone or computer, etc., etc., etc. I see it when they worship at the altar of false traditions and inherited lies; when faith is replaced by doctors and drugs, when a priesthood blessing is actually nothing more than a prayer because the Elder giving the blessing lacks the faith and discernment. I see it every time they mix philosophy with scripture because they lack correct knowledge. I see it when they have hard hearts because they will not ask, seek, and knock.

MikeMaillet
captain of 1,000

Post by MikeMaillet »

Rumpelstiltskin wrote: February 24th, 2021, 3:33 am My family and I have been concentrating on studying the Gileadi translation of Isaiah and his Apocalyptic Commentary. I've got some of his books and bought access to some of his seminars. Talk about having your eyes opened! I have always known that most of the Latter-day Saints are full of hot air. I see the apostasy every time I get a quick pat on the back, a limp handshake, and then nothing for the remainder of the week. I see it when I ask for help for my cognitively impaired daughter. I see it when my bishop avoids me because I speak too many inconvenient truths. One of the brother's in my former ward committed suicide; he had SSA and couldn't deal with it. The bishop told me that he believed God called him home, so the brother hung himself. That bishop could have helped the brother had he listened to me about evil spirits, but he suffered from unbelief. I see the apostasy when I see the the longing for Babylon, when they worship at the altars of education, materialism, bigger houses, better cars, the holiday excursion, work, TV, movies, gotta have the new iPhone or computer, etc., etc., etc. I see it when they worship at the altar of false traditions and inherited lies; when faith is replaced by doctors and drugs, when a priesthood blessing is actually nothing more than a prayer because the Elder giving the blessing lacks the faith and discernment. I see it every time they mix philosophy with scripture because they lack correct knowledge. I see it when they have hard hearts because they will not ask, seek, and knock.
So very true and so very sad to see what we've become. It took me a while to fully wake up to this. For years I felt something was wrong and then, The Mall! It was the mall that at first stirred me to anger and anger can sometimes be a great motivator. Once you see a glimmer of light breaking in, it cannot and must not be ignored. My heart is gradually changing and I now feel a great sense of urgency because of what we will experience in the next few years.

I'll give you an example of what I mean by my heart gradually changing. A few years ago my wife bought me a set of drums (my wife is an angel!) and I spend 3-4 hours per week on them. The other day the thought came into my head that the music store might be permitted to open next week and that this would be an opportunity to go out and buy a new crash and ride cymbals. One year ago, I would have gone out to the store and purchased shiny new cymbals but now my reaction was to reject the temptation of satan. I realized that ALL of my efforts should be in preparing for the calamity and to be looking for The Servant as described in most of our scriptures. All that I see around me is made up of earthly matter; matter that will melt with fervent heat when the Lord arrives in glory to save Zion and to burn the rest.

Mike Maillet
Ingleside, ontario

Dave62
destroyer of hopes & dreams

Post by Dave62 »

Rumpelstiltskin wrote: February 24th, 2021, 3:33 am My family and I have been concentrating on studying the Gileadi translation of Isaiah and his Apocalyptic Commentary. I've got some of his books and bought access to some of his seminars. Talk about having your eyes opened! I have always known that most of the Latter-day Saints are full of hot air. I see the apostasy every time I get a quick pat on the back, a limp handshake, and then nothing for the remainder of the week. I see it when I ask for help for my cognitively impaired daughter. I see it when my bishop avoids me because I speak too many inconvenient truths. One of the brother's in my former ward committed suicide; he had SSA and couldn't deal with it. The bishop told me that he believed God called him home, so the brother hung himself. That bishop could have helped the brother had he listened to me about evil spirits, but he suffered from unbelief. I see the apostasy when I see the the longing for Babylon, when they worship at the altars of education, materialism, bigger houses, better cars, the holiday excursion, work, TV, movies, gotta have the new iPhone or computer, etc., etc., etc. I see it when they worship at the altar of false traditions and inherited lies; when faith is replaced by doctors and drugs, when a priesthood blessing is actually nothing more than a prayer because the Elder giving the blessing lacks the faith and discernment. I see it every time they mix philosophy with scripture because they lack correct knowledge. I see it when they have hard hearts because they will not ask, seek, and knock.
That's powerfully good stuff, mate!

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Weird deal is when I began reading your opening sentence my mind heard Apocalyptic Community. Prolly related to my post here. Similar encounters are written about in the private forum.

Alexander
the Great

Post by Alexander »

Ezekiel 13
1 And the word of the Lord came unto me, saying,
2 Son of man, prophesy against the prophets of Israel that prophesy, and say thou unto them that prophesy out of their own hearts, Hear ye the word of the Lord;
3 Thus saith the Lord God; Woe unto the foolish prophets, that follow their own spirit, and have seen nothing!
4 O Israel, thy prophets are like the foxes in the deserts.
5 Ye have not gone up into the gaps, neither made up the hedge for the house of Israel to stand in the battle in the day of the Lord.
6 They have seen vanity and lying divination, saying, The Lord saith: and the Lord hath not sent them: and they have made others to hope that they would confirm the word.
7 Have ye not seen a vain vision, and have ye not spoken a lying divination, whereas ye say, The Lord saith it; albeit I have not spoken?
8 Therefore thus saith the Lord God; Because ye have spoken vanity, and seen lies, therefore, behold, I am against you, saith the Lord God.
9 And mine hand shall be upon the prophets that see vanity, and that divine lies: they shall not be in the assembly of my people, neither shall they be written in the writing of the house of Israel, neither shall they enter into the land of Israel; and ye shall know that I am the Lord God.
10 Because, even because they have seduced my people, saying, Peace; and there was no peace; and one built up a wall, and, lo, others daubed it with untempered mortar:

4Joshua8
captain of 1,000

Post by 4Joshua8 »

Anyone have a prepared list of the following:

Warnings God gave in Isaiah specific (or at least including to) to latter-day saints?
Warnings God gave in the rest of scripture to latter-day saints?

Much like what Luke started above.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

4Joshua8 wrote: February 24th, 2021, 1:45 pm Anyone have a prepared list of the following:

Warnings God gave in Isaiah specific (or at least including to) to latter-day saints?
Warnings God gave in the rest of scripture to latter-day saints?

Much like what Luke started above.
Connie561 wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 1:18 pm https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lVm43GLCUo8&t=116s

16 minute video. I read in the comments that at the 14:16 mark he quotes incorrectly D&C 41:18-19, the correct scripture is Isaiah 41:18-19.
There’s some stuff that may help answer your question with a little arrow that may supply a solution for those that may need ask themselves:

Am I prepared to survive 42 months without rainfall :?:

I Dont Know...
captain of 100

Post by I Dont Know... »

Yep, I concur....many years ago after I had received the BOF & HG there was always something nagging in the back of my mind (...no not my wife...) I just couldn't place my finger on it. I was naive, young and faithless. Funny thing is I did not realise I was faithless! It's a wonder how I even received the BOF & HG when I think back.

What really opened my eyes was when I began researching in depth the wonderful world of pharmaceuticals many years ago now. I felt kinda like Alice in Wonderland going down the rabbit hole.

How glorious and wonderful are these man made poisons. Don't get me wrong there are some that are vitally important. For the most part though, Satan's handiwork is all over this industry. I saw Babylon for the first time with eyes unfettered by the dark clouds of doubt. I saw the cunning and unscrupulous ways large corporations, science, education and all governments have corrupted society.

There is still some personal responsibility upon each of us to become self aware of our surroundings and the trappings of our masters, religious and irreligious.

These days my heart is still attached to this once great church so I strive to do my best for my family and friends....many who are very faithful members of this church who have been blinded to the true doctrines of Christ. I am not yet willing to discard those associations just yet.....or to thrown the baby out with the bathtub!

Then I was introduced to the writings of Avraham Gileadi and others, who helped crack the doorway wide open....the scales were removed from my eyes and POW....there is no going back. Once the Lord opens your eyes you not only become spiritually aware but also responsible and accountable for your actions.

I pray the Lord is able to reign me in and keep me grounded, humble and reliant upon His will for me and my family. :)

Alexander
the Great

Post by Alexander »

Alexander wrote: February 24th, 2021, 1:38 pm Ezekiel 13
2 Son of man, prophesy against the prophets of Israel that prophesy, and say thou unto them that prophesy out of their own hearts, Hear ye the word of the Lord;
3 Thus saith the Lord God; Woe unto the foolish prophets, that follow their own spirit, and have seen nothing!
5 Ye have not gone up into the gaps, neither made up the hedge for the house of Israel to stand in the battle in the day of the Lord.
6 They have seen vanity and lying divination, saying, The Lord saith: and the Lord hath not sent them: and they have made others to hope that they would confirm the word.
7 Have ye not seen a vain vision, and have ye not spoken a lying divination, whereas ye say, The Lord saith it; albeit I have not spoken?
8 Therefore thus saith the Lord God; Because ye have spoken vanity, and seen lies, therefore, behold, I am against you, saith the Lord God.
9 And mine hand shall be upon the prophets that see vanity, and that divine lies: they shall not be in the assembly of my people, neither shall they be written in the writing of the house of Israel, neither shall they enter into the land of Israel; and ye shall know that I am the Lord God.
10 Because, even because they have seduced my people, saying, Peace; and there was no peace; and one built up a wall, and, lo, others daubed it with untempered mortar:
I just realized this ties in exactly with what is said in Isaiah 2, and also the parable of the vineyard.

They make peace instead of fighting for truth and the Lord, when the enemy is at hand and is coming to destroy the hedge.

Isaiah 2
4 And he shall judge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people: and they shall beat their swords into plow-shares, and their spears into pruning-hooks—nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.
5 O house of Jacob, come ye and let us walk in the light of the Lord; yea, come, for ye have all gone astray, every one to his wicked ways.

Ezekiel 13

D&C 101
50 And while they were at variance one with another they became very slothful, and they hearkened not unto the commandments of their lord.
51 And the enemy came by night, and broke down the hedge; and the servants of the nobleman arose and were affrighted, and fled; and the enemy destroyed their works, and broke down the olive trees.

They are supposed to not turn their swords into ploughshares, but are to turn their ploughshares into swords. They are to fight and defend for the Lord.

Joel 3
9 Proclaim ye this among the Gentiles; Prepare war, wake up the mighty men, let all the men of war draw near; let them come up:
10 Beat your plowshares into swords, and your pruninghooks into spears: let the weak say, I am strong.

I Dont Know...
captain of 100

Post by I Dont Know... »

Alexander wrote: February 24th, 2021, 1:38 pm Ezekiel 13
Woah....wouldn't want to be that guy!........You know, I wonder what it will take for the eyes of the world to open....I'm not talking about whether one accepts Christ or not....just that there must come a time when all people must be shown the error of our present understanding. For some I guess it may be in mortality but for others perhaps not?

Alexander
the Great

Post by Alexander »

Micha 3
1 And I said, Hear, I pray you, O heads of Jacob, and ye princes of the house of Israel; Is it not for you to know judgment?
2 Who hate the good, and love the evil; who pluck off their skin from off them, and their flesh from off their bones;
3 Who also eat the flesh of my people, and flay their skin from off them; and they break their bones, and chop them in pieces, as for the pot, and as flesh within the caldron.
4 Then shall they cry unto the Lord, but he will not hear them: he will even hide his face from them at that time, as they have behaved themselves ill in their doings.
5 Thus saith the Lord concerning the prophets that make my people err, that bite with their teeth, and cry, Peace; and he that putteth not into their mouths, they even prepare war against him.
6 Therefore night shall be unto you, that ye shall not have a vision; and it shall be dark unto you, that ye shall not divine; and the sun shall go down over the prophets, and the day shall be dark over them.
7 Then shall the seers be ashamed, and the diviners confounded: yea, they shall all cover their lips; for there is no answer of God.
8 But truly I am full of power by the spirit of the Lord, and of judgment, and of might, to declare unto Jacob his transgression, and to Israel his sin.
9 Hear this, I pray you, ye heads of the house of Jacob, and princes of the house of Israel, that abhor judgment, and pervert all equity.
10 They build up Zion with blood, and Jerusalem with iniquity.
11 The heads thereof judge for reward, and the priests thereof teach for hire, and the prophets thereof divine for money: yet will they lean upon the Lord, and say, Is not the Lord among us? none evil can come upon us.
12 Therefore shall Zion for your sake be plowed as a field, and Jerusalem shall become heaps, and the mountain of the house as the high places of the forest.

mac
captain of 100

Post by mac »

The greatest apostacy we have to be on the watch for constantly is within ourselves, for me the only sin under heaven is not to acknowlegde Gods hand in all things.....
The day we cease from sincere prayer is the very day we have severed our relationship with Jesus...........
Regardless of the weaknesses or frailities of a man if he is a man of sincere prayer, grace overshadows him and preserves him, when he stumbles grace picks him up, overlooks his faults.
By and by such love and patience shown to him by his Saviour melts the mans heart, softens him and he changes his ways for the good.......
Show me any Christian that is not a person of sincere prayer and you are looking at the very devil of devils himself.............
And WE all have been such people.........
When we pray sincerely, we feel the Saviours presence, a feeling of worth , that we are loved, cared for..
It is thru prayer that we recieve His Spirit..........
Each of us as Christians must look within ourselves in these last days, allow our consciences to reveal to us were we as individuals go astray, for it is a fearfull thing to condemn others, accuse Brethren of what we ourselves might be seven fold more guilty of, we all do it from time to time.....
Yes there is a decline in Christian values all around us, the darkness is great, but we must remember that we ourselves were once part of that darkness and only by the undeserved mercy of Jesus we ourselves were rescued from it.........
So pray for your leaders, your Brethren, pray with sincerity that they might always be guided, blessed and cared for, ask Jesus to give them the very blessings that you yourselves earnestly seek for, do this regularly from the heart and you will find a love for them grow within you and you will find yourselves filled with the love of christ within your hearts that will only seek and look for the good in them..............

lack of prayer in the Christian for me is the "Great Apostacy" ...
Sincere prayer will prevent you from apostacy and give you the gift that we all need in these latter days..................

Love is patient, love is kind.
It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
It does not dishonor others,
it is not self-seeking,
it is not easily angered,
it keeps no record of wrongs.
Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.