Looking Beyond the Mark: The Davidic Servant

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Looking Beyond the Mark: The Davidic Servant

Post by Luke »

The Doctrine of Christ as set forth plainly in the Book of Mormon is all that is required for salvation.

But for exaltation, there is more required. This was undeniably taught by Joseph Smith.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

Artaxerxes wrote: August 1st, 2022, 8:56 am Yeah, he meant what he said: this was the doctrine for admission to the kingdom. Then he went on to give us more doctrine. I choose not to reject God's words because I think I have enough.
The difference between you and me is that I believe ALL the "more doctrine" Christ gave to us via Joseph Smith concerning what is necessary for exaltation.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

Amonhi wrote: July 31st, 2022, 5:28 pm Yes. Teach more than that but don't call it doctrine and don't teach anything that disrupts or nullifies the doctrine. The spirit will witness whether what you teach outside of the doctrine is true or not.

Peace,
Amonhi
I think it would be more correct to say "Teach more than that but don't call it doctrine of Christ".

Artaxerxes
captain of 1,000

Post by Artaxerxes »

Luke wrote: August 1st, 2022, 9:05 am
Artaxerxes wrote: August 1st, 2022, 8:56 am Yeah, he meant what he said: this was the doctrine for admission to the kingdom. Then he went on to give us more doctrine. I choose not to reject God's words because I think I have enough.
The difference between you and me is that I believe ALL the "more doctrine" Christ gave to us via Joseph Smith concerning what is necessary for exaltation.
Oh?

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

Artaxerxes wrote: August 1st, 2022, 9:08 am
Oh?
Plural Marriage - essential for exaltation
Second Anointing - essential for exaltation

That is according to Joseph Smith and his contemporaries.

If you're even barely acquainted with Mormon history, you know this.

The LDS Church rarely administers Second Anointings, and has outright banned Plural Marriage.

Hence, who am I to believe? Joseph Smith or the modern LDS Church?

You then need to ask yourself that same question.

Artaxerxes
captain of 1,000

Post by Artaxerxes »

Luke wrote: August 1st, 2022, 9:13 am
Artaxerxes wrote: August 1st, 2022, 9:08 am
Oh?
Plural Marriage - essential for exaltation

If you're even barely acquainted with Mormon history, you know this.

The LDS Church rarely administers Second Anointings, and has outright banned Plural Marriage.

Hence, who am I to believe? Joseph Smith or the modern LDS Church?

You then need to ask yourself that same question.
You're making things up again.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

Artaxerxes wrote: August 1st, 2022, 9:16 am
Luke wrote: August 1st, 2022, 9:13 am Plural Marriage - essential for exaltation

Am I really?

Plural Marriage:
  • “From him [Joseph Smith] I learned that the doctrine of plural and celestial marriage is the most holy and important doctrine ever revealed to man on the earth, and that without obedience to that principle no man can ever attain to the fulness of exaltation in celestial glory.” (William Clayton, 16 February 1874, as quoted in Historical Record, Vol. 6, Nos. 3-5, pg. 226, May 1887)
  • “The only men who become Gods, even the Sons of God, are those who enter into polygamy.” (Brigham Young, JD 11:269, 19 August 1866)
  • “The revelation commanding the principle of plural marriage, given by God through Joseph Smith, to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, in its first paragraph has the following language: ‘Behold I reveal unto you a new and everlasting covenant; and if ye abide not that covenant, then are ye damned; for none can reject this covenant and be permitted to enter into my glory.’ With this language before us, we cannot view plural marriage in any other light than as a vital principle of our religion.” (Official Statement to the United States Congress, 31 March 1878, as quoted in Millennial Star, Vol. 40, No. 15, pg. 227, 15 April 1878)
  • “Some people have supposed that the doctrine of plural marriage was a sort of superfluity, or non-essential to the salvation or exaltation of mankind. In other words, some of the Saints have said, and believe, that a man with one wife, sealed to him by the authority of the Priesthood for time and eternity, will receive an exaltation as great and glorious, if he is faithful, as he possibly could with more than one. I want here to enter my solemn protest against this idea, for I know it is false. There is no blessing promised except upon conditions, and no blessing can be obtained by mankind except by faithful compliance with the conditions, or law, upon which the same is promised. The marriage of one woman to a man for time and eternity by the sealing power, according to the law of God, is a fulfillment of the celestial law of marriage in part—and is good so far as it goes—and so far as a man abides these conditions of the law, he will receive his reward therefor, and this reward, or blessing, he could not obtain on any other grounds or conditions. But this is only the beginning of the law, not the whole of it. Therefore, whoever has imagined that he could obtain the fullness of the blessings pertaining to this celestial law, by complying with only a portion of its conditions, has deceived himself. He cannot do it.
    It is a glorious privilege to be permitted to go into a Temple of God to be united as man and wife in the bonds of holy wedlock for time and all eternity by the Authority of the Holy Priesthood, which is the power of God, for they who are thus joined together ‘no man can put asunder,’ for God hath joined them. It is an additional privilege for that same man and wife to re-enter the Temple of God to receive another wife in like manner if they are worthy. But if he remain faithful with only the one wife, observing the conditions of so much of the law as pertains to the eternity of the marriage covenant, he will receive his reward, but the benefits, blessings and power appertaining to the second or more faithful and fuller observance of the law, he never will receive, for he cannot.” (Joseph F. Smith, JD 20:28, 30-31, 7 July 1878)
  • “A violent and vicious attack is being made upon the doctrine and practice of patriarchal marriage. Those who have practiced this principle are assailed with a ferocity never before known. Those who make the attack perhaps hope to drive the people of God to renounce the doctrine and promise not to obey the revelation. Vain and delusive hope! Unless the Saints apostatize, such an action on their part is impossible. By doing so, they would deliberately shut the door of the celestial glory to their faces. They would say by that action, ‘We do not have the valor necessary to sustain us in our striving for the celestial glory, and we, therefore, are content to enter a terrestrial or telestial glory.’ To comply with the request of our enemies would be to give up all hope of entering into the glory of God, the Father, and Jesus Christ the Son. This is the price which the Saints are asked to give for the world to cease their attacks upon them! Is it not a costly bargain which they are asked to make? To barter off all hope of eternal felicity with wives and children in the celestial presence of God and the Lamb for the miserable favor of the world! So intimately interwoven is this precious doctrine with the exaltation of men and women in the great hereafter that it cannot be given up without giving up at the same time all hope of immortal glory. With as great consistency might the Sons of God, who are to be crowned heirs of God and joint heirs with Jesus, at the auspicious moment of their coronation, be asked by Satan to give up the thrones upon which they were being seated or the glorious crowns with which their brows were being encircled, in order to please him.” (George Q. Cannon, Juvenile Instructor, Vol. 20, No. 9, pg. 136, 1 May 1885)
  • “We did not reveal celestial marriage. We cannot withdraw or renounce it. God revealed it, and He has promised to maintain it, and to bless those who obey it.
    Upwards of forty years ago the Lord revealed to His Church the principle of celestial marriage. The idea of marrying more wives than one was as naturally abhorrent to the leading men and women of the Church at that day as it could be to any people. They shrank with dread from the bare thought of entering into such relationships. But the command of God was before them in language which no faithful soul dare disobey.
    ‘For, behold, I reveal unto you a new and an everlasting covenant; and if ye abide not that covenant, then are ye damned; for no one can reject this covenant, and be permitted to enter into my glory. * *
    And as pertaining to the new and everlasting covenant, it was instituted for the fullness of my glory; and he that receiveth a fullness thereof, must and shall abide the law, or he shall be damned, saith the Lord God.’
    Damnation was the awful penalty affixed to a refusal to obey this law.” (John Taylor and George Q. Cannon, Letter to the Officers and Members of the Church, 6 October 1885, as quoted in Millennial Star, Vol. 47, No. 45, pg. 708, 711, 9 November 1885)
  • “In private talk one evening with
    Our Seer and Prophet Joseph Smith,
    Before he shared the martyr’s fate,
    To me in solemn words did state:
    To him an angel did appear
    Saying thus, in language clear,
    ‘I hereby come for thee to warn
    (While in his hand a sword was drawn—)
    To take thee wives, this law obey
    Or God in anger will thee slay’.
    ‘Twas eighteen hundred forty three
    This sacred law was shown to me
    Which gives to men his loving wives
    God’s only path to endless lives.
    (Lorenzo Snow’s Record Book, pg. 16, 5 August 1886)
Second Anointing:
  • “No man can attain to the Joint heirship with Jesus Christ with out being administered to by one having the same power & Authority of Melchisedec” (Joseph Smith, 27 August 1843, Franklin D. Richards’ Journal, CHL)
  • “The declaration this morning is, that as soon as the Temple and baptismal font are prepared, we calculate to give the Elders of Israel their washings and anointings, and attend to those last and more impressive ordinances, without which we cannot obtain celestial thrones.” (Joseph Smith, 8 April 1844, TPJS 362-363)
These quotations should sum up the whole matter:
  • “The question is frequently asked, ‘Can we not be saved without going through with all those ordinances? I would answer, No, not the fulness of salvation. Jesus said, There are many mansions in my Father’s house, and I will go and prepare a place for you. House here named should have been translated kingdom; and any person who is exalted to the highest mansion has to abide a celestial law, and the whole law too.
    But there has been a great difficulty in getting anything into the heads of this generation. It has been like splitting hemlock knots with a corn-dodger for a wedge, and a pumpkin for a beetle. Even the Saints are slow to understand.
    I have tried for a number of years to get the minds of the Saints prepared to receive the things of God; but we frequently see some of them, after suffering all they have for the work of God, will fly to pieces like glass as soon as anything comes that is contrary to their traditions: they cannot stand the fire at all. How many will be able to abide a celestial law, and go through and receive their exaltation, I am unable to say, as many are called, but few are chosen.” (Joseph Smith, 20 January 1844, TPJS 331)
  • “Oh! I beseech you to go forward, go forward and make your calling and your election sure; and if any man preach any other Gospel than that which I have preached, he shall be cursed; and some of you who now hear me shall see it, and now that I testify the truth concerning them.” (Joseph Smith, 12 May 1844, TPJS 366-367)
The rejection of these principles (among other things) is what Jesus spoke of in 3 Nephi 16 when He said that those who would have the Fullness of the Gospel would reject it.

Artaxerxes
captain of 1,000

Post by Artaxerxes »

Luke wrote: August 1st, 2022, 9:26 am
Artaxerxes wrote: August 1st, 2022, 9:16 am
Luke wrote: August 1st, 2022, 9:13 am Plural Marriage - essential for exaltation

Am I really?

Plural Marriage:
  • “From him [Joseph Smith] I learned that the doctrine of plural and celestial marriage is the most holy and important doctrine ever revealed to man on the earth, and that without obedience to that principle no man can ever attain to the fulness of exaltation in celestial glory.” (William Clayton, 16 February 1874, as quoted in Historical Record, Vol. 6, Nos. 3-5, pg. 226, May 1887)
  • “The only men who become Gods, even the Sons of God, are those who enter into polygamy.” (Brigham Young, JD 11:269, 19 August 1866)
  • “The revelation commanding the principle of plural marriage, given by God through Joseph Smith, to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, in its first paragraph has the following language: ‘Behold I reveal unto you a new and everlasting covenant; and if ye abide not that covenant, then are ye damned; for none can reject this covenant and be permitted to enter into my glory.’ With this language before us, we cannot view plural marriage in any other light than as a vital principle of our religion.” (Official Statement to the United States Congress, 31 March 1878, as quoted in Millennial Star, Vol. 40, No. 15, pg. 227, 15 April 1878)
  • “Some people have supposed that the doctrine of plural marriage was a sort of superfluity, or non-essential to the salvation or exaltation of mankind. In other words, some of the Saints have said, and believe, that a man with one wife, sealed to him by the authority of the Priesthood for time and eternity, will receive an exaltation as great and glorious, if he is faithful, as he possibly could with more than one. I want here to enter my solemn protest against this idea, for I know it is false. There is no blessing promised except upon conditions, and no blessing can be obtained by mankind except by faithful compliance with the conditions, or law, upon which the same is promised. The marriage of one woman to a man for time and eternity by the sealing power, according to the law of God, is a fulfillment of the celestial law of marriage in part—and is good so far as it goes—and so far as a man abides these conditions of the law, he will receive his reward therefor, and this reward, or blessing, he could not obtain on any other grounds or conditions. But this is only the beginning of the law, not the whole of it. Therefore, whoever has imagined that he could obtain the fullness of the blessings pertaining to this celestial law, by complying with only a portion of its conditions, has deceived himself. He cannot do it.
    It is a glorious privilege to be permitted to go into a Temple of God to be united as man and wife in the bonds of holy wedlock for time and all eternity by the Authority of the Holy Priesthood, which is the power of God, for they who are thus joined together ‘no man can put asunder,’ for God hath joined them. It is an additional privilege for that same man and wife to re-enter the Temple of God to receive another wife in like manner if they are worthy. But if he remain faithful with only the one wife, observing the conditions of so much of the law as pertains to the eternity of the marriage covenant, he will receive his reward, but the benefits, blessings and power appertaining to the second or more faithful and fuller observance of the law, he never will receive, for he cannot.” (Joseph F. Smith, JD 20:28, 30-31, 7 July 1878)
  • “A violent and vicious attack is being made upon the doctrine and practice of patriarchal marriage. Those who have practiced this principle are assailed with a ferocity never before known. Those who make the attack perhaps hope to drive the people of God to renounce the doctrine and promise not to obey the revelation. Vain and delusive hope! Unless the Saints apostatize, such an action on their part is impossible. By doing so, they would deliberately shut the door of the celestial glory to their faces. They would say by that action, ‘We do not have the valor necessary to sustain us in our striving for the celestial glory, and we, therefore, are content to enter a terrestrial or telestial glory.’ To comply with the request of our enemies would be to give up all hope of entering into the glory of God, the Father, and Jesus Christ the Son. This is the price which the Saints are asked to give for the world to cease their attacks upon them! Is it not a costly bargain which they are asked to make? To barter off all hope of eternal felicity with wives and children in the celestial presence of God and the Lamb for the miserable favor of the world! So intimately interwoven is this precious doctrine with the exaltation of men and women in the great hereafter that it cannot be given up without giving up at the same time all hope of immortal glory. With as great consistency might the Sons of God, who are to be crowned heirs of God and joint heirs with Jesus, at the auspicious moment of their coronation, be asked by Satan to give up the thrones upon which they were being seated or the glorious crowns with which their brows were being encircled, in order to please him.” (George Q. Cannon, Juvenile Instructor, Vol. 20, No. 9, pg. 136, 1 May 1885)
  • “We did not reveal celestial marriage. We cannot withdraw or renounce it. God revealed it, and He has promised to maintain it, and to bless those who obey it.
    Upwards of forty years ago the Lord revealed to His Church the principle of celestial marriage. The idea of marrying more wives than one was as naturally abhorrent to the leading men and women of the Church at that day as it could be to any people. They shrank with dread from the bare thought of entering into such relationships. But the command of God was before them in language which no faithful soul dare disobey.
    ‘For, behold, I reveal unto you a new and an everlasting covenant; and if ye abide not that covenant, then are ye damned; for no one can reject this covenant, and be permitted to enter into my glory. * *
    And as pertaining to the new and everlasting covenant, it was instituted for the fullness of my glory; and he that receiveth a fullness thereof, must and shall abide the law, or he shall be damned, saith the Lord God.’
    Damnation was the awful penalty affixed to a refusal to obey this law.” (John Taylor and George Q. Cannon, Letter to the Officers and Members of the Church, 6 October 1885, as quoted in Millennial Star, Vol. 47, No. 45, pg. 708, 711, 9 November 1885)
  • “In private talk one evening with
    Our Seer and Prophet Joseph Smith,
    Before he shared the martyr’s fate,
    To me in solemn words did state:
    To him an angel did appear
    Saying thus, in language clear,
    ‘I hereby come for thee to warn
    (While in his hand a sword was drawn—)
    To take thee wives, this law obey
    Or God in anger will thee slay’.
    ‘Twas eighteen hundred forty three
    This sacred law was shown to me
    Which gives to men his loving wives
    God’s only path to endless lives.
    (Lorenzo Snow’s Record Book, pg. 16, 5 August 1886)
Second Anointing:
  • “No man can attain to the Joint heirship with Jesus Christ with out being administered to by one having the same power & Authority of Melchisedec” (Joseph Smith, 27 August 1843, Franklin D. Richards’ Journal, CHL)
  • “The declaration this morning is, that as soon as the Temple and baptismal font are prepared, we calculate to give the Elders of Israel their washings and anointings, and attend to those last and more impressive ordinances, without which we cannot obtain celestial thrones.” (Joseph Smith, 8 April 1844, TPJS 362-363)
These quotations should sum up the whole matter:
  • “The question is frequently asked, ‘Can we not be saved without going through with all those ordinances? I would answer, No, not the fulness of salvation. Jesus said, There are many mansions in my Father’s house, and I will go and prepare a place for you. House here named should have been translated kingdom; and any person who is exalted to the highest mansion has to abide a celestial law, and the whole law too.
    But there has been a great difficulty in getting anything into the heads of this generation. It has been like splitting hemlock knots with a corn-dodger for a wedge, and a pumpkin for a beetle. Even the Saints are slow to understand.
    I have tried for a number of years to get the minds of the Saints prepared to receive the things of God; but we frequently see some of them, after suffering all they have for the work of God, will fly to pieces like glass as soon as anything comes that is contrary to their traditions: they cannot stand the fire at all. How many will be able to abide a celestial law, and go through and receive their exaltation, I am unable to say, as many are called, but few are chosen.” (Joseph Smith, 20 January 1844, TPJS 331)
  • “Oh! I beseech you to go forward, go forward and make your calling and your election sure; and if any man preach any other Gospel than that which I have preached, he shall be cursed; and some of you who now hear me shall see it, and now that I testify the truth concerning them.” (Joseph Smith, 12 May 1844, TPJS 366-367)
The rejection of these principles (among other things) is what Jesus spoke of in 3 Nephi 16 when He said that those who would have the Fullness of the Gospel would reject it.
Those quotes do not support your claim.

The Clayton makes clear he is talking about polygamous AND other celestial marriages. He is not saying, as you claim, that Joseph taught that polygamy was essential.

As you know, Brigham made clear what he meant just before the section you quoted:
"We wish to obtain all that father Abraham obtained. I wish here to say to the Elders of Israel, and to all the members of this Church and kingdom, that it is in the hearts of many of them to wish that the doctrine of polygamy was not taught and practiced by us...It is the word of the Lord, and I wish to say to you, and all the world, that if you desire with all your hearts to obtain the blessings which Abraham obtained, you will be polygamists at least in your faith, or you will come short of enjoying the salvation and the glory which Abraham has obtained. This is as true as that God lives. You who wish that there were no such thing in existence, if you have in your hearts to say: "We will pass along in the Church without obeying or submitting to it in our faith or believing this order, because, for aught that we know, this community may be broken up yet, and we may have lucrative offices offered to us; we will not, therefore, be polygamists lest we should fail in obtaining some earthly honor, character and office, etc,"—the man that has that in his heart, and will continue to persist in pursuing that policy, will come short of dwelling in the presence of the Father and the Son, in celestial glory. The only men who become Gods, even the Sons of God, are those who enter into polygamy. Others attain unto a glory and may even be permitted to come into the presence of the Father and the Son; but they cannot reign as kings in glory, because they had blessings offered unto them, and they refused to accept them."
What Brigham was teaching was the necessity of accepting the Lord's commandments, which is true. When polygamy was allowable/commanded, rejecting that doctrine was wrong. When it isn't commanded/allowable, it's not.

The same goes for the letter to Congress.

Joseph F Smith and George Cannon were not "Joseph Smith [or] his contemporaries."

The John Taylor letter was merely quoting Section 132, which makes clear that the new and everlasting covenant of marriage was for "a man [to] marry a wife by my word, which is my law, and by the new and everlasting covenant."

Yes, the angel account to Joseph was that he had to take another wife. It was not a commandment for anyone else.

Both of those quotes you attribute to the second anointing are speaking about sealings. Sealings are the last and more impressive ordinances, without which we cannot obtain celestial thrones

TheChristian
captain of 100

Post by TheChristian »

“From him [Joseph Smith] I learned that the doctrine of plural and celestial marriage is the most holy and important doctrine ever revealed to man on the earth, and that without obedience to that principle no man can ever attain to the fulness of exaltation in celestial glory.” (William Clayton, 16 February 1874, as quoted in Historical Record, Vol. 6, Nos. 3-5, pg. 226, May 1887)

How could any doctrine or teaching be more important or holy than the Good News that God manifested Himself in the flesh for the sole purpose of dieing apon the Cross for the sins of the world and that after three days in the tomb He arose from the dead and that thru faith in the name of this God, even Jesus of Nazerath would save a man from eternal woe and obtain for him everlasting happyness....
To state that polygamy is the most holy and important doctrine to be revealed to men is to supplant the Cross of Christ with a marriage bed, to be sure marriage wether to one woman or many can be a just and holy thing, but it is not the source of salvation, nor the most holiest of doctrines, for polygamy did not pay the price of mankinds sins, nor could it, it was our blessed Lord Jesus that hung apon the cross to open up the way of Heaven for us and the cost of that opening to heavens glories was the precious blood that He spilt....

Just think of our Lord Jesus nailed to the cross, His battered, whipped, bruised and nail pierced body dripping with the most precious life saving blood of all...........
How can any doctrine be more holy or important than this most important event in the history of creation.........
The day our God reconciled Himself with his errant children thru the shedding of His own blood for them.............

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Artaxerxes wrote: July 31st, 2022, 5:32 pm?
… I don't think God cares about these word games as much as you guys seem to.
He doth apparently care about GBNG or CBNC as per Moroni event on March 18th 2020.

Amonhi
captain of 1,000

Post by Amonhi »

Artaxerxes wrote: August 1st, 2022, 8:56 am
Redpilled Mormon wrote: August 1st, 2022, 12:43 am
Artaxerxes wrote: July 31st, 2022, 11:03 pm
Redpilled Mormon wrote: July 31st, 2022, 10:58 pm

He says he cares very much about these 'word games'. He's explicitly specific about what constitutes 'doctrine', and any idiot who adds to or takes away from it is practicing evil (sure, could be out of ignorance). But He cannot lie, so YES, he cares.

The problem is that in mormon culture we throw around the term 'doctrine' incredibly loosely, including everything and the kitchen sink under that umbrella. According to what Christ explicitly states in 3 Nephi, the fact that the ldscorp doesn't teach Christ's doctrine correctly is plenty good reason get alarmed about whose church it really is (2 churches only).

Christ defines the purpose of his doctrine in that section also: it's a get-out-of-hell card. Correction: it's the only get-out-of-hell card.

Best practices, wise sayings, traditions, ceremonies, priesthood, tithing, commandments, temple covenants, plural marriage, etc - None of these are part of Christ's doctrine (save only the commandments to believe/repent and be baptized, and then inexorably and unavoidably we will receive fire/Holy Ghost). Doesn't mean these other practices/ordinances/commandments aren't good things, or real commandments (though some may be false, which is what the Holy Ghost will guide us away from if so). But whenever some idiot teaches these other things are part of the doctrine, that is false teaching that comes of evil. Don't like it? Sound too mean or unfair? Take it up with Christ; he's the one who said it.

Christ doctrine is what is needed for salvation. Ldscorp culture confuses the issue by throwing in the extra-special VIP package for Heaven+, which we term 'Exaltation'. Which like the premium upgrade plan, which apparently maybe you need to do lots more things, like sing the national anthem backwards while hopping on one foot, or engage in gadianton secret combinations in the temple, or engage in 'lying for the lord' while taking lots of wives on the down-low, etc. Maybe there's something to 'exaltation', maybe there's not, I'd like to see some solid scriptures from the Book of Mormon backing it up, showing that the Savior talked about this upgrade package plan, but when he spoke about his doctrine, he wasn't talking about any of that stuff.

He's super specific on what comprises doctrine, and yes, I think it matters, and isn't just pedantic.
No. He says it is his doctrine for entrance to his kingdom. And that still stands. Playing these games of what is a commandment versus doctrine versus a teaching is just silly. Jesus wasn't being pedantic. You are.
I'm the one saying he was NOT being pedantic. He was NOT being wishy-washy. He was NOT stumbling over his words. He repeated the doctrine 3 times, to be absolutely crystal clear, explicitly condemned anyone who added to or took away from it, and yet there are still people like you in deep cognitive dissonance maintaining that 'he didn't really mean what he said'.

Fine, take it up with him. I'm sure he'll appreciate you correcting his grammar and meaning for him.

As for me, I'm going to go with what he actually said, rather than the LIE that Christ's doctrine is unimportant, or nebulous, or encompasses whatever the hot new thing ldscorp finds expedient to put in the mix this week.
Yeah, he meant what he said: this was the doctrine for admission to the kingdom. Then he went on to give us more doctrine. I choose not to reject God's words because I think I have enough.
NO, he did not give us more doctrine and won't until he comes to us in the flesh. You call it a word game because you don't understand why the Father, the son and the Holy Ghost only recognize these four principles as doctrine. I do, and I agree with them that these need to be the only doctrines of Christ's gospel. But before talking about why, let's look at a little more of the "what".

Nephi had the Law of Moses which included all the commandments like keep the Sabbath day holy, thou shalt not kill, lie or steal, thou shalt have no other Gods before me, etc. and yet he still said that there was no other doctrine and would be no other doctrine until Christ will manifest himself in the flesh. This means that all the commandments and ordinances and information that he had and taught were not considered doctrine by Nephi.
2 Nephi 32
5 For behold, again I say unto you that if ye will enter in by the way, (faith, repentance, Baptism) and receive the Holy Ghost, it will show unto you all things what ye should do.
6 Behold, this is the doctrine of Christ, and there will be no more doctrine given until after he shall manifest himself unto you in the flesh. And when he shall manifest himself unto you in the flesh, the things which he shall say unto you shall ye observe to do.
Nephi summarized the first three points of Christ's doctrine by saying, "if ye will enter in by the way" which was a reference to what he just taught in the previous chapter where he used the exact same words and promised that the Holy Ghost would come to us if we entered in by faith, repentance and baptism. So, in a single sentence, he taught the entire doctrine of Christ, reiterating his detailed extensive teachings in the previous chapter, then he said that "this IS the doctrine of Christ". He didn't mention any of the commandments, tithing or endowments, etc. Just like Jesus, he said, "THIS is it." Then he said there would be no other doctrine given until Christ came in the flesh. He could have been talking about Christ coming in 3 Nephi 11 or he could have been talking about the Second Comforter experience given to those who have their calling and election made sure. When Christ came in the flesh to the Nephites in 3 Nephi 11, the very first thing he taught was his doctrine when he said nothing more or less than this is my doctrine. So, everything that Nephi taught and all the things taught between Nephi and Christ, there was no new doctrine given. And, when Jesus arrived, he not only said there was still nothing new, he said to add or take away from this doctrine comes of evil and opens the gates of hell. To say that he then added to his own doctrine is to say that he taught what comes of evil and opens the gates of hell to receive people.

Jesus's own statement that anything more or less than this comes of evil and opens the gates of hell to receive such means that even he could not add to his own doctrine without coming of evil and opening the gates of hell to receive such.

I didn't want to walk through 2 Nephi 31 because like 3 Nephi 11, its long. But for the sake of showing that Nephi was in complete 100% agreement with Jesus in saying that these four things are the only doctrines of Christ. I think that 2 Nephi 32:5-6 quoted above shows that already, but since Nephi was so clear about what was and what was not doctrine of Christ, (he was playing the same word game Jesus was), I will. Again, this is the "what", not the "why". The what is all about what is doctrine and what is not. The why is all about why is this the only doctrine of the Father, the son and the holy Ghost.

To make this easier on me, I'll not skip any verses, but I will break them up with comments... I'll quote them in order without skipping.
2 Nephi 31
2 Wherefore, the things which I have written sufficeth me, save it be a few words which I must speak concerning the doctrine of Christ; wherefore, I shall speak unto you plainly, according to the plainness of my prophesying.
3 For my soul delighteth in plainness; for after this manner doth the Lord God work among the children of men. For the Lord God giveth light unto the understanding; for he speaketh unto men according to their language, unto their understanding.
He had just said finished teaching a whole bunch of stuff, and then he said, "the things which I have written sufficeth me, save it be a few words which I must speak concerning the doctrine of Christ;" This is his transition from what he was saying to the doctrine of Christ. He knows that what he was teaching before not part of "the doctrine of Christ". So, he ended what he was saying before and now he is going to talk to us about "the doctrine of Christ". So, we are going to look and see if he starts talking about faith, repentance, baptism and the Holy Ghost.
4 Wherefore, I would that ye should remember that I have spoken unto you concerning that prophet which the Lord showed unto me, that should baptize the Lamb of God, which should take away the sins of the world.
5 And now, if the Lamb of God, he being holy, should have need to be baptized by water, to fulfil all righteousness, O then, how much more need have we, being unholy, to be baptized, yea, even by water!
6 And now, I would ask of you, my beloved brethren, wherein the Lamb of God did fulfil all righteousness in being baptized by water?
7 Know ye not that he was holy? But notwithstanding he being holy, he showeth unto the children of men that, according to the flesh he humbleth himself before the Father, and witnesseth unto the Father that he would be obedient unto him in keeping his commandments.
8 Wherefore, after he was baptized with water the Holy Ghost descended upon him in the form of a dove.
9 And again, it showeth unto the children of men the straitness of the path, and the narrowness of the gate, by which they should enter, he having set the example before them.
Jesus gave us the example of living the doctrine of Christ and as a result, the Father gave him the Holy Ghost. He showed us how to live the doctrine of Christ by his example. This is the first time he teaches the doctrine of Christ since he stated he was going to teach it in the previous verse. He also defined this as the gate by which we enter.
10 And he said unto the children of men: Follow thou me. Wherefore, my beloved brethren, can we follow Jesus save we shall be willing to keep the commandments of the Father?
11 And the Father said: Repent ye, repent ye, and be baptized in the name of my Beloved Son.
12 And also, the voice of the Son came unto me, saying: He that is baptized in my name, to him will the Father give the Holy Ghost, like unto me; wherefore, follow me, and do the things which ye have seen me do.
This is the second time that the doctrine of Christ is taught by Nephi after he said he was going to start talking about the doctrine of Christ. Nephi says that these are the words of the Father and the Son.

As a side note, not really part of answering the question, "what is the doctrine of Christ?" ... The Son specifically said something RPM has pointed out a few times... "the Father will give the Holy Ghost, like unto Christ." How did Christ receive the Holy Ghost? It wasn't by the laying on of hands. I came upon him directly from God. This is and was a valid way to receive the Holy Ghost. But again, it's off topic, I just wanted to point out to RPM that his suspicions are correct and Nephi repeats this again in a few verses.
13 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, I know that if ye shall follow the Son, with full purpose of heart, acting no hypocrisy and no deception before God, but with real intent, repenting of your sins, witnessing unto the Father that ye are willing to take upon you the name of Christ, by baptism—yea, by following your Lord and your Savior down into the water, according to his word, behold, then shall ye receive the Holy Ghost; yea, then cometh the baptism of fire and of the Holy Ghost; and then can ye speak with the tongue of angels, and shout praises unto the Holy One of Israel.
This is the third time Nephi taught the doctrine of Christ after saying he was going to talk about it.
14 But, behold, my beloved brethren, thus came the voice of the Son unto me, saying: After ye have repented of your sins, and witnessed unto the Father that ye are willing to keep my commandments, by the baptism of water, and have received the baptism of fire and of the Holy Ghost, and can speak with a new tongue, yea, even with the tongue of angels, and after this should deny me, it would have been better for you that ye had not known me.
15 And I heard a voice from the Father, saying: Yea, the words of my Beloved are true and faithful. He that endureth to the end, the same shall be saved.
16 And now, my beloved brethren, I know by this that unless a man shall endure to the end, in following the example of the Son of the living God, he cannot be saved.
This is the fourth time Nephi records the doctrine of Christ. But the Son tells us that if we start down this path and receive the doctrine of Christ, (faith in Christ, repentance, baptism by water and then receive the baptism of fire and the Holy Ghost), and then after having been baptized with fire and the Holy Ghost we reject the doctrine of Christ by "denying him" (no longer having faith in Christ) or in other words nullifying the repentance and baptism, based on which we were given the Holy Ghost, then it would be better if we had never started down this path. For this reason, he tells us to "endure to the end" which means to not give up on the doctrine of Christ until the end when we reach eternal life at the end of the path. Another way of saying this is we just entered in at the gate and qualified for salvation by the doctrine of Christ. Don't exit the gate. Stay on this side of the gate or you cannot be saved.
17 Wherefore, do the things which I have told you I have seen that your Lord and your Redeemer should do; for, for this cause have they been shown unto me, that ye might know the gate by which ye should enter. For the gate by which ye should enter is repentance and baptism by water; and then cometh a remission of your sins by fire and by the Holy Ghost.
The fifth time he teaches the doctrine of Christ.
18 And then are ye in this strait and narrow path which leads to eternal life; yea, ye have entered in by the gate; ye have done according to the commandments of the Father and the Son; and ye have received the Holy Ghost, which witnesses of the Father and the Son, unto the fulfilling of the promise which he hath made, that if ye entered in by the way ye should receive.
Sixth time he teaches the doctrine of Christ, but adds some important insights.
  • The last insight he gives us is that the Holy Ghost is promised to be given to everyone as soon as they enter in at the gate. If you haven't received the Holy Ghost, then you haven't entered in at the gate. Some people are baptized but don't really have faith in Christ. Maybe they have faith in their own works to save them, or they have faith in the baptism to save them, or faith in the church, etc. but they don't have faith in Christ. They aren't given the Holy Ghost because they didn't really enter in at the gate which requires faith in Christ. Some people get baptized and join the church but they aren't really repentant, so they don't get the baptism of fire and the Holy Ghost. Whatever step they miss, if they don't get the baptism of fire and the Holy Ghost, then they haven't entered in at the gate because the baptism of fire and the Holy Ghost is promised to everyone who enters in at the gate correctly.
  • First insight is that after we enter in at the gate, "ye in this strait and narrow path which leads to eternal life". We haven't gotten to eternal life yet, but we are on the path that leads to it. If we have not entered in at the gate, then we are not on the path that leads to eternal life. There is no hope of eternal life without entering in at the gate because there is no way to get on the path that leads to eternal life without entering in at the gate.
  • The other insight we gather from his words here match up with what Jesus taught in John 10:1 where he said, "Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door (Gate) into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber." You CAN enter the church or "sheepfold" without going through the gate. People do it all the time. Let's say for example that you join the church but do not receive the baptism of fire and the Holy Ghost which is promised to everyone who enters in at the gate. If you are a member of the Church but have not received the gift of the Holy Ghost, then you have entered in and not by the gate. This is what the Sacrament is administered for. It continually reminds us of the body and blood that was shed for us so we know where to look to receive the remission of our sins with the express purpose being, "that they may always have his spirit to be with them". In the Sacrament the gospel of Jesus Christ is preached every week to those who have already been baptized, but who do not "always have his spirit to be with them."
19 And now, my beloved brethren, after ye have gotten into this strait and narrow path, I would ask if all is done? Behold, I say unto you, Nay; for ye have not come thus far save it were by the word of Christ with unshaken faith in him, relying wholly upon the merits of him who is mighty to save.
20 Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life.
In these verses, Nephi is telling us to walk the path that leads to eternal life by "feasting on the words of Christ which only come by the Holy Ghost which we have now received since we entered in at the gate. We have entered in at the gate by the Gospel of Jesus Christ. but we must live by the Gospel which means feasting on the words of Christ which he said and says again in the next chapter is words spoken by the Holy Ghost. The only way to walk the path that leads to eternal life is to feast on the words of Christ which are spoken by the power of the Holy Ghost. That is the path. Follow the path and you'll reach eternal life. Leave the path and although you stayed behind the gate, you will not reach eternal life. Exit the gate by denying Christ and the covenants you made when you entered in at the gate and it will have been better for you to have not known him.

After teaching the gospel six times, he concludes by saying,
21 And now, behold, my beloved brethren, this is the way; and there is none other way nor name given under heaven whereby man can be saved in the kingdom of God. And now, behold, this is the doctrine of Christ, and THE ONLY and true DOCTRINE of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, which is one God, without end. Amen.
He started his remarks by telling us that he was ending his previous teachings and now going to speak to us about the doctrine of Christ. He taught the doctrine of Christ 6 times which doctrine matches up identically with what Jesus said in 3 Nephi 11. Then he concludes by saying THIS is the doctrine of Christ and the ONLY DOCTRINE of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost. And then in the next chapter, he continues this thought process and reaffirming that this is the ONLY doctrine of Christ and that there will be no more doctrine given until Christ comes in the flesh by saying,
2 Nephi 32
5 For behold, AGAIN I say unto you that if ye will enter in by the way, (faith, repentance, Baptism) and receive the Holy Ghost, it will show unto you all things what ye should do.
6 Behold, this is the doctrine of Christ, and there will be no more doctrine given until after he shall manifest himself unto you in the flesh. And when he shall manifest himself unto you in the flesh, the things which he shall say unto you shall ye observe to do.
Nephi is in complete agreement with Jesus Christ in 3 Nephi 11 when he says that THIS is the Doctrine of Christ and the ONLY doctrine of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost.

Now, you call it "word play" because you were ignorant to this message and thought that the doctrine of Christ was every truth and commandment given by the church. Jesus said that your definition, which you received by learning from the church teachings and doctrines, comes of evil and opens the gates of hell to receive people. According to Nephi and Jesus it is important to define the doctrine of Christ correctly and that doctrine makes up his gospel and his church teaches his gospel correctly neither adding to nor taking away from the doctrines given by Christ. The LDS church does not because they like you before this discussion don't know the doctrine of Christ nor his gospel and they like you teach FALSE doctrines and a false Gospel which comes of evil and opens the gates of hell to receive people.

And I am amazed by the fact that after seeing what is clearly written your first response is to say it is simple word play and unimportant rather than ask for yourself why the Lord and his prophet Nephi would teach this. You downplay the savior's words because... you never were taught them by the church. because the church doesn't teach his doctrine nor his gospel, but they do teach a distortion of his doctrine which Jesus said "comes of evil and opens the gates of hell".

YOU can't even accept what Jesus said is his doctrine and nothing more than his doctrine and nothing less than his doctrine. You have no clue as to how etremely important this point is and why it is so important, so you down play it. But Jesus said it was so important that if a church doesn't teach his doctrine correctly, then it isn't his church. That's how important it is.

This post is long enough, so I will explain why it is significantly important that we understand his doctrine and teach it correctly in my next post. If you can wait to make another post until you read what I am about to post about why it is essential to teach his doctrine correctly, you might prevent yourself from displaying your gross ignorance further.

Peace,
Amonhi

Amonhi
captain of 1,000

Post by Amonhi »

Luke wrote: August 1st, 2022, 9:06 am
Amonhi wrote: July 31st, 2022, 5:28 pm Yes. Teach more than that but don't call it doctrine and don't teach anything that disrupts or nullifies the doctrine. The spirit will witness whether what you teach outside of the doctrine is true or not.

Peace,
Amonhi
I think it would be more correct to say "Teach more than that but don't call it doctrine of Christ".
Nephi and Jesus said that the doctrine was given by the Father and that it is the only doctrine of the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost. If they can all agree to the only doctrine they acecpt, why can't Christ's church also agree with the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost to only teach and accept the only doctrine they accept and teach? Can it be Christ's church if it doesn't teach his doctrine as doctrine?

Peace,
Amonhi

Artaxerxes
captain of 1,000

Post by Artaxerxes »

Amonhi wrote: August 1st, 2022, 10:58 pm
Artaxerxes wrote: July 31st, 2022, 11:03 pm

No. He says it is his doctrine for entrance to his kingdom. And that still stands. Playing these games of what is a commandment versus doctrine versus a teaching is just silly. Jesus wasn't being pedantic. You are.
I'm the one saying he was NOT being pedantic. He was NOT being wishy-washy. He was NOT stumbling over his words. He repeated the doctrine 3 times, to be absolutely crystal clear, explicitly condemned anyone who added to or took away from it, and yet there are still people like you in deep cognitive dissonance maintaining that 'he didn't really mean what he said'.

Fine, take it up with him. I'm sure he'll appreciate you correcting his grammar and meaning for him.

As for me, I'm going to go with what he actually said, rather than the LIE that Christ's doctrine is unimportant, or nebulous, or encompasses whatever the hot new thing ldscorp finds expedient to put in the mix this week.
Yeah, he meant what he said: this was the doctrine for admission to the kingdom. Then he went on to give us more doctrine. I choose not to reject God's words because I think I have enough.
NO, he did not give us more doctrine and won't until he comes to us in the flesh. You call it a word game because you don't understand why the Father, the son and the Holy Ghost only recognize these four principles as doctrine. I do, and I agree with them that these need to be the only doctrines of Christ's gospel. But before talking about why, let's look at a little more of the "what".

Nephi had the Law of Moses which included all the commandments like keep the Sabbath day holy, thou shalt not kill, lie or steal, thou shalt have no other Gods before me, etc. and yet he still said that there was no other doctrine and would be no other doctrine until Christ will manifest himself in the flesh. This means that all the commandments and ordinances and information that he had and taught were not considered doctrine by Nephi.
2 Nephi 32
5 For behold, again I say unto you that if ye will enter in by the way, (faith, repentance, Baptism) and receive the Holy Ghost, it will show unto you all things what ye should do.
Nephi summarized the first three points of Christ's doctrine by saying, "if ye will enter in by the way" which was a reference to what he just taught in the previous chapter where he used the exact same words and promised that the Holy Ghost would come to us if we entered in by faith, repentance and baptism. So, in a single sentence, he taught the entire doctrine of Christ, reiterating his detailed extensive teachings in the previous chapter, then he said that "this IS the doctrine of Christ". He didn't mention any of the commandments, tithing or endowments, etc. Just like Jesus, he said, "THIS is it." Then he said there would be no other doctrine given until Christ came in the flesh. He could have been talking about Christ coming in 3 Nephi 11 or he could have been talking about the Second Comforter experience given to those who have their calling and election made sure. When Christ came in the flesh to the Nephites in 3 Nephi 11, the very first thing he taught was his doctrine when he said nothing more or less than this is my doctrine. So, everything that Nephi taught and all the things taught between Nephi and Christ, there was no new doctrine given. And, when Jesus arrived, he not only said there was still nothing new, he said to add or take away from this doctrine comes of evil and opens the gates of hell. To say that he then added to his own doctrine is to say that he taught what comes of evil and opens the gates of hell to receive people.

Jesus's own statement that anything more or less than this comes of evil and opens the gates of hell to receive such means that even he could not add to his own doctrine without coming of evil and opening the gates of hell to receive such.

I didn't want to walk through 2 Nephi 31 because like 3 Nephi 11, its long. But for the sake of showing that Nephi was in complete 100% agreement with Jesus in saying that these four things are the only doctrines of Christ. I think that 2 Nephi 32:5-6 quoted above shows that already, but since Nephi was so clear about what was and what was not doctrine of Christ, (he was playing the same word game Jesus was), I will. Again, this is the "what", not the "why". The what is all about what is doctrine and what is not. The why is all about why is this the only doctrine of the Father, the son and the holy Ghost.

To make this easier on me, I'll not skip any verses, but I will break them up with comments... I'll quote them in order without skipping.
2 Nephi 31
2 Wherefore, the things which I have written sufficeth me, save it be a few words which I must speak concerning the doctrine of Christ; wherefore, I shall speak unto you plainly, according to the plainness of my prophesying.
3 For my soul delighteth in plainness; for after this manner doth the Lord God work among the children of men. For the Lord God giveth light unto the understanding; for he speaketh unto men according to their language, unto their understanding.
He had just said finished teaching a whole bunch of stuff, and then he said, "the things which I have written sufficeth me, save it be a few words which I must speak concerning the doctrine of Christ;" This is his transition from what he was saying to the doctrine of Christ. He knows that what he was teaching before not part of "the doctrine of Christ". So, he ended what he was saying before and now he is going to talk to us about "the doctrine of Christ". So, we are going to look and see if he starts talking about faith, repentance, baptism and the Holy Ghost.
4 Wherefore, I would that ye should remember that I have spoken unto you concerning that prophet which the Lord showed unto me, that should baptize the Lamb of God, which should take away the sins of the world.
5 And now, if the Lamb of God, he being holy, should have need to be baptized by water, to fulfil all righteousness, O then, how much more need have we, being unholy, to be baptized, yea, even by water!
6 And now, I would ask of you, my beloved brethren, wherein the Lamb of God did fulfil all righteousness in being baptized by water?
7 Know ye not that he was holy? But notwithstanding he being holy, he showeth unto the children of men that, according to the flesh he humbleth himself before the Father, and witnesseth unto the Father that he would be obedient unto him in keeping his commandments.
8 Wherefore, after he was baptized with water the Holy Ghost descended upon him in the form of a dove.
9 And again, it showeth unto the children of men the straitness of the path, and the narrowness of the gate, by which they should enter, he having set the example before them.
Jesus gave us the example of living the doctrine of Christ and as a result, the Father gave him the Holy Ghost. He showed us how to live the doctrine of Christ by his example. This is the first time he teaches the doctrine of Christ since he stated he was going to teach it in the previous verse. He also defined this as the gate by which we enter.
10 And he said unto the children of men: Follow thou me. Wherefore, my beloved brethren, can we follow Jesus save we shall be willing to keep the commandments of the Father?
11 And the Father said: Repent ye, repent ye, and be baptized in the name of my Beloved Son.
12 And also, the voice of the Son came unto me, saying: He that is baptized in my name, to him will the Father give the Holy Ghost, like unto me; wherefore, follow me, and do the things which ye have seen me do.
This is the second time that the doctrine of Christ is taught by Nephi after he said he was going to start talking about the doctrine of Christ. Nephi says that these are the words of the Father and the Son.

As a side note, not really part of answering the question, "what is the doctrine of Christ?" ... The Son specifically said something RPM has pointed out a few times... "the Father will give the Holy Ghost, like unto Christ." How did Christ receive the Holy Ghost? It wasn't by the laying on of hands. I came upon him directly from God. This is and was a valid way to receive the Holy Ghost. But again, it's off topic, I just wanted to point out to RPM that his suspicions are correct and Nephi repeats this again in a few verses.
13 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, I know that if ye shall follow the Son, with full purpose of heart, acting no hypocrisy and no deception before God, but with real intent, repenting of your sins, witnessing unto the Father that ye are willing to take upon you the name of Christ, by baptism—yea, by following your Lord and your Savior down into the water, according to his word, behold, then shall ye receive the Holy Ghost; yea, then cometh the baptism of fire and of the Holy Ghost; and then can ye speak with the tongue of angels, and shout praises unto the Holy One of Israel.
This is the third time Nephi taught the doctrine of Christ after saying he was going to talk about it.
14 But, behold, my beloved brethren, thus came the voice of the Son unto me, saying: After ye have repented of your sins, and witnessed unto the Father that ye are willing to keep my commandments, by the baptism of water, and have received the baptism of fire and of the Holy Ghost, and can speak with a new tongue, yea, even with the tongue of angels, and after this should deny me, it would have been better for you that ye had not known me.
15 And I heard a voice from the Father, saying: Yea, the words of my Beloved are true and faithful. He that endureth to the end, the same shall be saved.
16 And now, my beloved brethren, I know by this that unless a man shall endure to the end, in following the example of the Son of the living God, he cannot be saved.
This is the fourth time Nephi records the doctrine of Christ. But the Son tells us that if we start down this path and receive the doctrine of Christ, (faith in Christ, repentance, baptism by water and then receive the baptism of fire and the Holy Ghost), and then after having been baptized with fire and the Holy Ghost we reject the doctrine of Christ by "denying him" (no longer having faith in Christ) or in other words nullifying the repentance and baptism, based on which we were given the Holy Ghost, then it would be better if we had never started down this path. For this reason, he tells us to "endure to the end" which means to not give up on the doctrine of Christ until the end when we reach eternal life at the end of the path. Another way of saying this is we just entered in at the gate and qualified for salvation by the doctrine of Christ. Don't exit the gate. Stay on this side of the gate or you cannot be saved.
17 Wherefore, do the things which I have told you I have seen that your Lord and your Redeemer should do; for, for this cause have they been shown unto me, that ye might know the gate by which ye should enter. For the gate by which ye should enter is repentance and baptism by water; and then cometh a remission of your sins by fire and by the Holy Ghost.
18 And then are ye in this strait and narrow path which leads to eternal life; yea, ye have entered in by the gate; ye have done according to the commandments of the Father and the Son; and ye have received the Holy Ghost, which witnesses of the Father and the Son, unto the fulfilling of the promise which he hath made, that if ye entered in by the way ye should receive.
  • The last insight he gives us is that the Holy Ghost is promised to be given to everyone as soon as they enter in at the gate. If you haven't received the Holy Ghost, then you haven't entered in at the gate. Some people are baptized but don't really have faith in Christ. Maybe they have faith in their own works to save them, or they have faith in the baptism to save them, or faith in the church, etc. but they don't have faith in Christ. They aren't given the Holy Ghost because they didn't really enter in at the gate which requires faith in Christ. Some people get baptized and join the church but they aren't really repentant, so they don't get the baptism of fire and the Holy Ghost. Whatever step they miss, if they don't get the baptism of fire and the Holy Ghost, then they haven't entered in at the gate because the baptism of fire and the Holy Ghost is promised to everyone who enters in at the gate correctly.
  • First insight is that after we enter in at the gate, "ye in this strait and narrow path which leads to eternal life". We haven't gotten to eternal life yet, but we are on the path that leads to it. If we have not entered in at the gate, then we are not on the path that leads to eternal life. There is no hope of eternal life without entering in at the gate because there is no way to get on the path that leads to eternal life without entering in at the gate.
  • The other insight we gather from his words here match up with what Jesus taught in John 10:1 where he said, "Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door (Gate) into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber." You CAN enter the church or "sheepfold" without going through the gate. People do it all the time. Let's say for example that you join the church but do not receive the baptism of fire and the Holy Ghost which is promised to everyone who enters in at the gate. If you are a member of the Church but have not received the gift of the Holy Ghost, then you have entered in and not by the gate. This is what the Sacrament is administered for. It continually reminds us of the body and blood that was shed for us so we know where to look to receive the remission of our sins with the express purpose being, "that they may always have his spirit to be with them". In the Sacrament the gospel of Jesus Christ is preached every week to those who have already been baptized, but who do not "always have his spirit to be with them."
19 And now, my beloved brethren, after ye have gotten into this strait and narrow path, I would ask if all is done? Behold, I say unto you, Nay; for ye have not come thus far save it were by the word of Christ with unshaken faith in him, relying wholly upon the merits of him who is mighty to save.
20 Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life.
In these verses, Nephi is telling us to walk the path that leads to eternal life by "feasting on the words of Christ which only come by the Holy Ghost which we have now received since we entered in at the gate. We have entered in at the gate by the Gospel of Jesus Christ. but we must live by the Gospel which means feasting on the words of Christ which he said and says again in the next chapter is words spoken by the Holy Ghost. The only way to walk the path that leads to eternal life is to feast on the words of Christ which are spoken by the power of the Holy Ghost. That is the path. Follow the path and you'll reach eternal life. Leave the path and although you stayed behind the gate, you will not reach eternal life. Exit the gate by denying Christ and the covenants you made when you entered in at the gate and it will have been better for you to have not known him.

21 And now, behold, my beloved brethren, this is the way; and there is none other way nor name given under heaven whereby man can be saved in the kingdom of God. And now, behold, this is the doctrine of Christ, and THE ONLY and true DOCTRINE of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, which is one God, without end. Amen.
He started his remarks by telling us that he was ending his previous teachings and now going to speak to us about the doctrine of Christ. He taught the doctrine of Christ 6 times which doctrine matches up identically with what Jesus said in 3 Nephi 11. Then he concludes by saying THIS is the doctrine of Christ and the ONLY DOCTRINE of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost. And then in the next chapter, he continues this thought process and reaffirming that this is the ONLY doctrine of Christ and that there will be no more doctrine given until Christ comes in the flesh by saying,
2 Nephi 32
5 For behold, AGAIN I say unto you that if ye will enter in by the way, (faith, repentance, Baptism) and receive the Holy Ghost, it will show unto you all things what ye should do.
Nephi is in complete agreement with Jesus Christ in 3 Nephi 11 when he says that THIS is the Doctrine of Christ and the ONLY doctrine of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost.

Now, you call it "word play" because you were ignorant to this message and thought that the doctrine of Christ was every truth and commandment given by the church. Jesus said that your definition, which you received by learning from the church teachings and doctrines, comes of evil and opens the gates of hell to receive people. According to Nephi and Jesus it is important to define the doctrine of Christ correctly and that doctrine makes up his gospel and his church teaches his gospel correctly neither adding to nor taking away from the doctrines given by Christ. The LDS church does not because they like you before this discussion don't know the doctrine of Christ nor his gospel and they like you teach FALSE doctrines and a false Gospel which comes of evil and opens the gates of hell to receive people.

And I am amazed by the fact that after seeing what is clearly written your first response is to say it is simple word play and unimportant rather than ask for yourself why the Lord and his prophet Nephi would teach this. You downplay the savior's words because... you never were taught them by the church. because the church doesn't teach his doctrine nor his gospel, but they do teach a distortion of his doctrine which Jesus said "comes of evil and opens the gates of hell".

YOU can't even accept what Jesus said is his doctrine and nothing more than his doctrine and nothing less than his doctrine. You have no clue as to how etremely important this point is and why it is so important, so you down play it. But Jesus said it was so important that if a church doesn't teach his doctrine correctly, then it isn't his church. That's how important it is.

This post is long enough, so I will explain why it is significantly important that we understand his doctrine and teach it correctly in my next post. If you can wait to make another post until you read what I am about to post about why it is essential to teach his doctrine correctly, you might prevent yourself from displaying your gross ignorance further.

Peace,
Amonhi
He didn't give more doctrine?
"this is not my doctrine, to stir up the hearts of men with anger, one against another; but this is my doctrine, that such things should be done away."

I'm amazed you guys consistently downplay the savior's own words. But when you have an ax to grind...

You guys have no idea how extremely important ALL of the saviors words are, and by cherry picking to only follow snippets when it agreed with you and gives you license to sin, you guys damn yourselves.

You guys really should read the scriptures before you all post again to prevent yourselves from displaying your gross ignorance. But, it's never stopped you guys before....

cab
captain of 1,000
Location: ♫ I am a Mormon! ♫ And... dang it... a Mormon just believes! ♫

Post by cab »

TheChristian wrote: August 1st, 2022, 5:14 pm “From him [Joseph Smith] I learned that the doctrine of plural and celestial marriage is the most holy and important doctrine ever revealed to man on the earth, and that without obedience to that principle no man can ever attain to the fulness of exaltation in celestial glory.” (William Clayton, 16 February 1874, as quoted in Historical Record, Vol. 6, Nos. 3-5, pg. 226, May 1887)

How could any doctrine or teaching be more important or holy than the Good News that God manifested Himself in the flesh for the sole purpose of dieing apon the Cross for the sins of the world and that after three days in the tomb He arose from the dead and that thru faith in the name of this God, even Jesus of Nazerath would save a man from eternal woe and obtain for him everlasting happyness....
To state that polygamy is the most holy and important doctrine to be revealed to men is to supplant the Cross of Christ with a marriage bed, to be sure marriage wether to one woman or many can be a just and holy thing, but it is not the source of salvation, nor the most holiest of doctrines, for polygamy did not pay the price of mankinds sins, nor could it, it was our blessed Lord Jesus that hung apon the cross to open up the way of Heaven for us and the cost of that opening to heavens glories was the precious blood that He spilt....

Just think of our Lord Jesus nailed to the cross, His battered, whipped, bruised and nail pierced body dripping with the most precious life saving blood of all...........
How can any doctrine be more holy or important than this most important event in the history of creation.........
The day our God reconciled Himself with his errant children thru the shedding of His own blood for them.............

And this is why the whole of it ought to be rejected as heresy.

darknesstolight
captain of 1,000

Post by darknesstolight »

Artaxerxes wrote: August 1st, 2022, 11:10 pm

2 Nephi 32

2 Nephi 31

2 Nephi 32

Peace,
Amonhi
"this is not my doctrine, to stir up the hearts of men with anger, one against another; but this is my doctrine, that such things should be done away."

I'm amazed you guys consistently downplay the savior's own words. But when you have an ax to grind...

You guys have no idea how extremely important ALL of the saviors words are, and by cherry picking to only follow snippets when it agreed with you and gives you license to sin, you guys damn yourselves.

You guys really should read the scriptures before you all post again to prevent yourselves from displaying your gross ignorance. But, it's never stopped you guys before....
No more doctrine of Christ right wasn't that the topic?

cab
captain of 1,000
Location: ♫ I am a Mormon! ♫ And... dang it... a Mormon just believes! ♫

Post by cab »

Isn’t everything Christ taught in addition to obtaining faith meet for a remission of sins and a complete baptism all just a map to obtain those things?

John Tavner
captain of 1,000

Post by John Tavner »

cab wrote: August 2nd, 2022, 6:23 am Isn’t everything Christ taught in addition to obtaining faith meet for a remission of sins and a complete baptism all just a map to obtain those things?
The whole thing makes a lot more sense when we realize Christ didn't make this doctrine just so we could get to heaven. His purpose was to teach us and show us we could be "born again" and look like Him in this life - so it should be clear that His doctrine is NOT to stir up hearts to anger, since He literally told us to turn the other cheek and gave an example of His life.. When we understand that, then faith, repentance, the baptisms, and becoming as a little child/endure to the end makes a lot more sense - the realization that we are not bound by our past, that we are free to choose and we can choose Him, know God, and become like Him by giving up who we think we are and embracing who He says we are, as we know Him and continue to submit/endure in our knowing Him. We bring Heaven on earth, and so slip right into heaven pretty easily when we die, because of Him - the same spirit in this life is the same one we will have in the next.

Artaxerxes
captain of 1,000

Post by Artaxerxes »

darknesstolight wrote: August 2nd, 2022, 6:16 am

2 Nephi 32

2 Nephi 31

2 Nephi 32

Peace,
Amonhi

Yes. And He said part of his doctrine was to do away with anger.

darknesstolight
captain of 1,000

Artaxerxes wrote: August 2nd, 2022, 7:25 am

Peace,
Amonhi

Doctrine of Christ is identified by Jesus as a specific thing. If you are using "doctrine" in a generic way then you are equivocation and not talking about the same thing anymore.

You'll convince those who already agree but the rest will see BS.

Artaxerxes
captain of 1,000

Post by Artaxerxes »

darknesstolight wrote: August 2nd, 2022, 8:13 am

Doctrine of Christ is identified by Jesus as a specific thing. If you are using "doctrine" in a generic way then you are equivocation and not talking about the same thing anymore.

I'm using it the way Jesus used it because I quoted Jesus.

Only those who haven't read the scriptures would think His words are BS.

darknesstolight
captain of 1,000

Artaxerxes wrote: August 2nd, 2022, 8:21 am

I'm talking about what you have said.

But you know that. I know you and I know you are playing a game. It's your job.

Artaxerxes
captain of 1,000

Post by Artaxerxes »

darknesstolight wrote: August 2nd, 2022, 8:37 am

Yeah, and what I said was quoting Jesus. But you know that. I know your game. It's your job.

darknesstolight
captain of 1,000

Artaxerxes wrote: August 2nd, 2022, 8:39 am

Yeah, and what I said was quoting Jesus. But you know that. I know your game. It's your job.
That's a lame comeback. 😃

You have one more chance to do better.

Artaxerxes
captain of 1,000

Post by Artaxerxes »

darknesstolight wrote: August 2nd, 2022, 10:08 am

I mean, unless you've learned what quotation marks are in the last little bit, I'm not sure I can help you.

darknesstolight
captain of 1,000

Artaxerxes wrote: August 2nd, 2022, 10:14 am
darknesstolight wrote: August 2nd, 2022, 10:08 am

I mean, unless you've learned what quotation marks are in the last little bit, I'm not sure I can help you.
👌