Moroni Lost his Trumpet

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
LDS Physician
captain of 1,000

Moroni Lost his Trumpet

Post by LDS Physician »

I've heard there was an earthquake in SLC early this morning and that the Moroni statue on top of the temple lost his trumpet. Is this true? I'd LOVE to hear what people think of this...

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Moroni Lost his Trumpet

Post by Original_Intent »

yep, he lost his arm and trumpet both

https://www.deseret.com/faith/2020/3/18 ... _IAOCimyXY

The Airbender
captain of 1,000

Post by The Airbender »

Two thoughts come to mind.

The first is this scripture:

88 And after your testimony cometh wrath and indignation upon the people.
89 For after your testimony cometh the testimony of earthquakes, that shall cause groanings in the midst of her, and men shall fall upon the ground and shall not be able to stand.
90 And also cometh the testimony of the voice of thunderings, and the voice of lightnings, and the voice of tempests, and the voice of the waves of the sea heaving themselves beyond their bounds.
91 And all things shall be in commotion; and surely, men’s hearts shall fail them; for fear shall come upon all people.

The second is the idea that “his arm is no longer stretched forth.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

LDS Physician wrote: March 18th, 2020, 9:48 am I've heard there was an earthquake in SLC early this morning and that the Moroni statue on top of the temple lost his trumpet. Is this true? I'd LOVE to hear what people think of this...
We have been talking about it on the Earthquake in Utah thread. You can take your mocking over there.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

Lizzy60 wrote: March 18th, 2020, 9:59 am
LDS Physician wrote: March 18th, 2020, 9:48 am I've heard there was an earthquake in SLC early this morning and that the Moroni statue on top of the temple lost his trumpet. Is this true? I'd LOVE to hear what people think of this...
We have been talking about it on the Earthquake in Utah thread. You can take your mocking over there.
mocking?

LDS Physician
captain of 1,000

Post by LDS Physician »

How do you assume that I'm mocking with this post?

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

Original_Intent wrote: March 18th, 2020, 9:49 am yep, he lost his arm and trumpet both

The arm of the Lord who sounds the first trumpet of resurrection... Wow if this isn't a wake up call

mahalanobis
captain of 1,000

Post by mahalanobis »

Alaris wrote: March 18th, 2020, 10:07 am
Original_Intent wrote: March 18th, 2020, 9:49 am yep, he lost his arm and trumpet both

The arm of the Lord who sounds the first trumpet of resurrection... Wow if this isn't a wake up call
I think this can gave multiple interpretations. But all of them include a wake-up call.

GrandMasterB
captain of 1,000

Post by GrandMasterB »

Finally the imminent Wasatch wake up. Ironically it did wake me up this morning. LMAO.

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

LDS Physician wrote: March 18th, 2020, 10:05 am
How do you assume that I'm mocking with this post?
Mocking is a strong word....

But tell me you weren't teasing a bit with the "LOVE to hear"...

I thought it was funny

Imo it was symbolic...not just structural damage

Symbolic Structural Damage ;) SSD

I believe the scriptures are full with this type of stuff

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

GrandMasterB wrote: March 18th, 2020, 10:10 am Finally the imminent Wasatch wake up. Ironically it did wake me up this morning. LMAO.
this is the age of irony

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

It strikes me that the damage to the angel could be symbolically significant.
The trumpet represents the angel declaring the restoration of the gospel to the nations of the earth. Is it a coincidence that this happens just as many missionaries are being called home?

mahalanobis
captain of 1,000

Post by mahalanobis »

Robin Hood wrote: March 18th, 2020, 10:16 am It strikes me that the damage to the angel could be symbolically significant.
The trumpet represents the angel declaring the restoration of the gospel to the nations of the earth. Is it a coincidence that this happens just as many missionaries are being called home?
We're also about to throw a big party about the gospel being restored.... which got cancelled.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

Here's some information about the capstone below his feet:
Among the items placed in the receptacle were the Bible, Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants and Pearl of Great Price. Also, there were two books by Elder Parley P. Pratt: Voice of Warning and Key to Theology; and a book by Orson Spencer containing correspondence explaining the Church's most prominent doctrines, Spencer's Letters.

Other items placed in the receptacle included photographs of Joseph and Hyrum Smith, Brigham Young, John Taylor, Wilford Woodruff, George Q. Cannon, and Joseph F. Smith. A photograph of the temple as it appeared at the time also was placed in the box.
https://www.thechurchnews.com/archives/ ... ago-145043

Shortly after the service, Brigham drew on a slate the outlines of the temple he had seen in vision several years earlier. “There will be three towers on the east, representing the President and his two Counselors,” he explained; “also three similar towers on the west representing the Presiding Bishop and his two Counselors; the towers on east the Melchizedek priesthood, those on the west the Aaronic priesthood.”

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... d?lang=eng

I'm trying to find the names and words to the hymns composed for the dedication - methinks there's something significant there

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

Also, tomorrow is the Spring Equinox.

Moroni met Joseph at fall equinox each year until he gave the plates to Joseph Smith on said equinox. Fall = Aaronic Priesthood (see BY quote above.)

Also - when Joseph had the plates taken after losing the 116 pages, Moroni didn't return them until .... you guessed it:
As part of the penalty for losing the manuscript, Smith said the angel took away the Urim and Thummim (Smith 1853, p. 125), returning it once again on September 22, 1828, the autumn equinox and the anniversary of the day he first received the plates (Smith 1853, p. 126).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_of_J ... 27_to_1830

Guess what tomorrow is? If you thought, "fall equinox" you need to think just a litttttle harder. :)

Guess what today is?

diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

Post by diligently seeking »

Robin Hood wrote: March 18th, 2020, 10:16 am It strikes me that the damage to the angel could be symbolically significant.
What is the “everlasting gospel”? Is it not his kingdom in heaven which WILL be on earth? “Is it beginning in his house”? Has the day of the gentile come to an end.?

drtanner
captain of 1,000

Post by drtanner »

mahalanobis wrote: March 18th, 2020, 10:30 am
We're also about to throw a big party about the gospel being restored.... which got cancelled.
And yet the show will go on because of technology. No unhallowed hand.

mahalanobis
captain of 1,000

Post by mahalanobis »

drtanner wrote: March 18th, 2020, 11:19 am
Exactly. But a hallowed hand can stop the work from progressing, because it is His. Is that what's happening here?

His will be done and all the glory to the Father.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

Alaris wrote: March 18th, 2020, 10:32 amOther items placed in the receptacle included photographs of Joseph and Hyrum Smith,
Wait, the Church has an actual photograph of Joseph Smith?? I thought there were no known photographs of Joseph Smith - or at least, none that were known for a fact to be of Joseph. Why haven't they published these?

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

EmmaLee wrote: March 18th, 2020, 11:35 am
Alaris wrote: March 18th, 2020, 10:32 amOther items placed in the receptacle included photographs of Joseph and Hyrum Smith,
Wait, the Church has an actual photograph of Joseph Smith?? I thought there were no known photographs of Joseph Smith - or at least, none that were known for a fact to be of Joseph. Why haven't they published these?
I just read somewhere (while looking for that hymn) that the capstone was opened in 1993 and immediately the photographs were ruined due to exposure. Whoops!

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

Until the time of the Gentiles is over.....

It will continue...just not with the world

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

Alright my friend - here's what I think. The original "Moroni" was never named "Moroni" by Joseph Smith. In fact, the angel who appeared at the fall equinoxes was most often called "The Angel of the Lord" - sound familiar? He was called "Nephi" about as often as he was called "Moroni." That said, I do believe Moroni and the Angel of the Lord are one and the same.
The Nauvoo Temple was the first Latter Day Saint temple to be crowned with a figure of an angel. This angel, not officially identified as Moroni, was a metal weathervane with gold leaf on the trumpet. It was designed by William Weeks (architect of Nauvoo temple) and installed in January 1846.[28] This figure was positioned in a flying horizontal position holding an open book in one hand and a trumpet in the other.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel_Moroni
Nowhere - nowhere is there a "trumpet" or "trump" associated with Moroni. Not even the oft quoted Revelation 14 mentions a trumpet.

And that book he's carrying - is not the gospel. Joseph Smith said the purpose of the Aaronic Priesthood is that of Judgement and Destruction. Now where do trumps play into judgement and destruction? And what book is that in the angel's arm? It's not the gospel folks.

Revelation 14:6 And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people,
7 Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.

Now I'm not saying that's not Moroni - in fact the 8th angel is prominent all over Revelation and this could very well be that same eighth angel who bears the symbol of the High Priest of the Lesser Priesthood (see chapter .. 8...and 11)

This is the book in Moroni's arm:

Revelation 20:10 And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.
11 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.
12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Who imprisons the devil? Abaddon does - who has the keys of death and hell which are the keys of judgement and destruction? This is why he is wearing red as it represents the blood of the enemies of Israel and not the blood of Jesus Christ (see Isaiah 63)

Revelation 9:11 And they had a king over them, which is the angel of the bottomless pit, whose name in the Hebrew tongue is Abaddon, but in the Greek tongue hath his name Apollyon.

Revelation 20:1 And I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key of the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand.
2 And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years,
3 And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season.

All this time, we have looked at the angel moroni and thought "aw ... Revelation 14"

Nope

Revelation 20

and D&C 85:7

7 And it shall come to pass that I, the Lord God, will send one mighty and strong, holding the scepter of power in his hand, clothed with light for a covering, whose mouth shall utter words, eternal words; while his bowels shall be a fountain of truth, to set in order the house of God, and to arrange by lot the inheritances of the saints whose names are found, and the names of their fathers, and of their children, enrolled in the book of the law of God;

There are other scriptures that reinforce this ...

And this is the trump - it's not announcing the gospel but is the trump of judgment and resurrection:

D&C 88:94 And another angel shall sound his trump, saying: That great church, the mother of abominations, that made all nations drink of the wine of the wrath of her fornication, that persecuteth the saints of God, that shed their blood—she who sitteth upon many waters, and upon the islands of the sea—behold, she is the tares of the earth; she is bound in bundles; her bands are made strong, no man can loose them; therefore, she is ready to be burned. And he shall sound his trump both long and loud, and all nations shall hear it.
95 And there shall be silence in heaven for the space of half an hour; and immediately after shall the curtain of heaven be unfolded, as a scroll is unfolded after it is rolled up, and the face of the Lord shall be unveiled;
96 And the saints that are upon the earth, who are alive, shall be quickened and be caught up to meet him.
97 And they who have slept in their graves shall come forth, for their graves shall be opened; and they also shall be caught up to meet him in the midst of the pillar of heaven—
98 They are Christ’s, the first fruits, they who shall descend with him first, and they who are on the earth and in their graves, who are first caught up to meet him; and all this by the voice of the sounding of the trump of the angel of God.

That is the Trump of Moroni.

I had the privilege of teaching EQ on the final day of church (lol that sounds awful) I asked these 20 or so Elders and High Priests, "Who sounds the final trump of resurreciton?" Nothing ... "You know ..the one at the end of the 1,000 years when all the dead are raised including the wicked?" ... Nothing. I said, "Michael ...." and then I said, "Well if you don't know Michael sounds the last trump I guarantee you that you don't know who sounds the first." Deer in the headlights stares all around.

drtanner
captain of 1,000

Post by drtanner »

mahalanobis wrote: March 18th, 2020, 11:29 am
Exactly. But a hallowed hand can stop the work from progressing, because it is His. Is that what's happening here?

We agree on that last sentence, As far as the work it is the prophets that are communicating these decisions, is the Lord working through them all of the sudden? That statement alone shows the true colors behind your motives.

mahalanobis
captain of 1,000

Post by mahalanobis »

drtanner wrote: March 18th, 2020, 12:07 pm

We agree on that last sentence, As far as the work it is the prophets that are communicating these decisions, is the Lord working through them all of the sudden? That statement alone shows the true colors behind your motives.
Not really. Look back and you'll see that I defended the claim the president Nelson prophecied regarding the home-centered church. I'll not a partisan hack - I simply list the possibilities and give people the benefit of the doubt.

One possibility is that a hallowed hand is tapping the breaks. You realize that such a thing boosts the church's validity claims because it means the Lord cares if we screw it up and he'll take time to slow down and teach us.

If you want to know the true colors of my motivations, go back and read all my posts. I'm not out to attack the church. I pray for the church and hope it does well - unlike some on here that are gitty when bad things happen to the church. My world view isn't starving for validation. I simply want to do the will of the Lord and if that means he needs to slow us down and correct us, then so be it.

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

drtanner wrote: March 18th, 2020, 12:07 pm

What is the meaning of End of the Gentiles?