Suggestion - Ignore threads/forums

How can we improve the forum? Need help with something on the forum?
Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Suggestion - Ignore threads/forums

Post by Silver Pie »

Since we can ignore users, is it possible/feasible to have an ignore or hide feature for threads (and even forums) that we aren't interested in seeing in our feed-especially if we were dumb enough to post once in them?

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Suggestion - Ignore threads/forums

Post by Robin Hood »

Silver Pie wrote: March 8th, 2020, 5:14 pm Since we can ignore users, is it possible/feasible to have an ignore or hide feature for threads (and even forums) that we aren't interested in seeing in our feed-especially if we were dumb enough to post once in them?
Why would you want to do that?
We would just end up with a kind of echo chamber.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

The notification emails say there’s an unfollow button at the bottom of the thread.

Said email also has a link that supposedly does the same thing, but there’s no button so maybe the link is bogus too.
Last edited by BeNotDeceived on March 8th, 2020, 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

The option appears when you edit your post, and looks to unfollow the entire thread.
Last edited by BeNotDeceived on March 8th, 2020, 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Robin Hood wrote: March 8th, 2020, 5:20 pm Why would you want to do that?
Because sometimes I comment in a thread but don't want it showing up in the "your posts" list when I log in. Granted, I could just click on it, then x out of it without reading it, but I find myself compelled to read anyway, and it is often two or three people going round and round about something ad nauseum - or is a topic I'm not really interested in, and I commented on something in the thread that wasn't really part of the main subject.

Several times, I have wanted to comment in a thread but didn't only because I didn't want the ten million posts (exaggeration, I know) showing up in my feed every time I clicked on "your posts" in the future".

I don't care so much about hiding forums, but I know that some sites have that feature - but if I'm looking at latest posts, I'm not really interested in the election forums or the exchange (as examples).

It has zero to do with wanting to create an echo chamber.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

BeNotDeceived wrote: March 8th, 2020, 5:27 pm The notification emails say there’s an unfollow button at the bottom of the thread.

Said email also has a link that supposedly does the same thing, but there’s no button so maybe the link is bogus too.
Thanks. I don't subscribe to threads and I don't even know if I'd know where to find threads I did subscribe to. When I log in, "your posts" is right there and so I click on that first. Then I get all manner of threads where two or three people have been arguing with each other for several pages or threads where I've made a comment but am not interested in the subject that is being rampantly discussed.

If this feature cannot be created (or won't be), then I guess I'll have to train myself to ignore threads that show up in my "your posts" feed as unread.

That's not really a bad thing, I suppose.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

That's what I do, Silver Pie. In all the years I've been here, this has never changed. I've gotten used to ignoring threads that devolve into fights between two people.

jmack
captain of 1,000

Post by jmack »

Silver Pie wrote: March 8th, 2020, 5:29 pm
Robin Hood wrote: March 8th, 2020, 5:20 pm Why would you want to do that?
Because sometimes I comment in a thread but don't want it showing up in the "your posts" list when I log in. Granted, I could just click on it, then x out of it without reading it, but I find myself compelled to read anyway, and it is often two or three people going round and round about something ad nauseum - or is a topic I'm not really interested in, and I commented on something in the thread that wasn't really part of the main subject.

Several times, I have wanted to comment in a thread but didn't only because I didn't want the ten million posts (exaggeration, I know) showing up in my feed every time I clicked on "your posts" in the future".

I don't care so much about hiding forums, but I know that some sites have that feature - but if I'm looking at latest posts, I'm not really interested in the election forums or the exchange (as examples).

It has zero to do with wanting to create an echo chamber.
Or you could not look at 'your posts' . That's what I do. If I want a reminder of where I posted, I look at notifications. Works for me :)