Repent of participating in I'm a Mormon Campaign

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Trucker
captain of 1,000

Repent of participating in I'm a Mormon Campaign

Post by Trucker »

Since referring to ourselves as Mormon is not good and makes the devil happy, everyone who participated in the I'm a Mormon campaign and created a profile needs to repent.

Change my mind.

Mindfields
captain of 1,000

Re: Repent of participating in I'm a Mormon Campaign

Post by Mindfields »

This name thing is just silly. It isn't working and will fade and likely die with Nelson.

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

Last edited by Michelle on January 4th, 2020, 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Trucker wrote: December 10th, 2019, 9:08 am Since referring to ourselves as Mormon is not good and makes the devil happy, everyone who participated in the I'm a Mormon campaign and created a profile needs to repent.

Change my mind.

That whole thing sent ripples of memory thru' my mind. It reminded me of George Bush in the White House. "I don't want broccoli in the White House, on the menu."

Why not? Well, obviously he had some childhood bad experience with it. "Mother, I don't like this broccoli and I'm not going to eat it." "George, you are not to leave this table until you have eaten that broccoli" 3 days later, he eats the 3 day old broccoli.

Then, years later in the White House he sees the broccoli and !!!!!.

Nelson is a prophet seer and revalator as to some things. Not to all things. And that was one he got wrong, from a childhood memory or something, not from God.

I can assure you if God was angry with that word you all, each and every one of you would have full well known it long ago.

As to the 3rd post here, the whole nonsensical idea of trying to identify with the (possible) epithet they use against you, it's a common modern tactic. If they call you a deplorable, adopt the term and use it with impunity. It takes all the sting out of it that they thought they had in it for you.
dc

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

I've said it before but I'll say it again... I like being a Mormon. I like being referred to as a Mormon, and I like referring to myself as a Mormon.
I have absolutely no problem with it.
Nothing to repent of.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Robin Hood wrote: December 10th, 2019, 10:12 am I've said it before but I'll say it again... I like being a Mormon. I like being referred to as a Mormon, and I like referring to myself as a Mormon.
I have absolutely no problem with it.
Nothing to repent of.
Robin Hood, as I understand it, you are a real Mormon.
dc

PressingForward
captain of 100

Post by PressingForward »

David13 wrote: December 10th, 2019, 10:07 am As to the 3rd post here, the whole nonsensical idea of trying to identify with the (possible) epithet they use against you, it's a common modern tactic. If they call you a deplorable, adopt the term and use it with impunity. It takes all the sting out of it that they thought they had in it for you.
dc
I will own up to being a deplorable! I’ve had some younger folks throw the “ok, boomer” thing at me lately, I say thanks, since we know how to think, we understand self responsibility, and we save and don’t expect free things!

drtanner
captain of 1,000

Post by drtanner »

Love referring to myself as a follower of Jesus Christ instead of a Mormon and have had several interesting conversations as a result.

Trucker
captain of 1,000

Post by Trucker »

I never created a profile on mormon.org because I thought it was wrong. Pres. Nelson was in the 12 when it was introduced, and it was promoted by Pres. Monson. Now Pres. Nelson says that's not good to call ourselves Mormon. What are we to make of Pres. Monson? And why did Pres. Nelson go along with it then?

For anyone reading this who created a profile, do you feel mislead? Am I not better because I refused to participate? Serious question.

drtanner
captain of 1,000

Post by drtanner »

Trucker wrote: December 10th, 2019, 1:47 pm I never created a profile on mormon.org because I thought it was wrong. Pres. Nelson was in the 12 when it was introduced, and it was promoted by Pres. Monson. Now Pres. Nelson says that's not good to call ourselves Mormon. What are we to make of Pres. Monson? And why did Pres. Nelson go along with it then?

For anyone reading this who created a profile, do you feel mislead? Am I not better because I refused to participate? Serious question.
It may be helpful to know more about the decision making process. Much like President Nelson elaborated recently on the process behind the policy change of children with gay parents, I'm sure there would be additional information here that would shed light on why certain decisions were made and the timing of those decisions. I think it is important to remember some revelations are immediate and some are line upon line. The Lord often allows us to make decisions that seem have a dead end (think Nephi and his brothers attempt to get the plates) but in reality are part of a larger process designed for our own growth and learning.

LDS Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by LDS Watchman »

Trucker wrote: December 10th, 2019, 9:08 am Since referring to ourselves as Mormon is not good and makes the devil happy, everyone who participated in the I'm a Mormon campaign and created a profile needs to repent.

Change my mind.
I didn't create an I'm a Mormon account because the whole thing rubbed me the wrong way right from the get go.

When it was first rolled out, not one profile even mentioned Christ.

And pretty much every profile was of some oddball non typical member.

The message I got from this was "hey look at us Mormons, nothing special about us, we're just like you. Want to meet with the missionaries?"

The whole thing was pretty ridiculous.

Now we have Nelson throwing every church president from Joseph Smith through Thomas S Monson on under the bus for offending God and allowing Satan to gain a great victory in the Church.

And most members just lap it up.

That's the beauty of the whole follow the living prophet, he can't lead you astray mantra. The current president can throw every prophet of the past under the bus, change any doctrine or teachings he wants to, and can't even been questioned about any of it.

The ancient prophets like Nephi saw all of this madness in the last days. It's all in the scriptures if we just open our hearts and our minds to receive the message that we are in big trouble if we don't repent and stop blindly trusting in the arm of flesh.

drtanner
captain of 1,000

Post by drtanner »

Matthias wrote: December 10th, 2019, 2:34 pm

Change my mind.
I didn't create an I'm a Mormon account because the whole thing rubbed me the wrong way right from the get go.

The message I got from this was "hey look at us Mormons, nothing special about us, we're just like you. Want to meet with the missionaries?"

Now we have Nelson throwing every church president from Joseph Smith through Thomas S Monson on under the bus for offending God and allowing Satan to gain a great victory in the Church.

That's the beauty of the whole follow the living prophet, he can't lead you astray mantra. The current president can throw every prophet of the past under the bus, change any doctrine or teachings he wants to, and can't even been questioned about any of it.

The ancient prophets like Nephi saw all of this madness in the last days. It's all in the scriptures if we just open our hearts and our minds to receive the message that we are in big trouble if we don't repent and stop blindly trusting in the arm of flesh.
Is asking members to change what we prefer people call us changing doctrine?

And saying Nephi saw this madness meaning that the leaders of the restored church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints are simply a bunch of apostates who contract each other is ignorant. The focus of the church is about Jesus Christ and gathering people all over the world to him. When are you going to be honest that you don’t really believe this and that you are here on the forum looking for validation? You can know if President Nelson is a true prophet by the power of the Holy Ghost but just like any revelation you must follow the conditions that qualify you to receive.

LDS Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by LDS Watchman »

drtanner wrote: December 10th, 2019, 2:53 pm

Change my mind.

And saying Nephi saw this madness meaning that the leaders of the restored church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints are simply a bunch of apostates who contract each other is ignorant. The focus of the church is about Jesus Christ and gathering people all over the world to him. When are you going to be honest that you don’t really believe this and that you are here on the forum looking for validation? You can know if President Nelson is a true prophet by the power of the Holy Ghost but just like any revelation you must follow the conditions that qualify you to receive.
I never said that the Brethren are "simply a bunch of apostates who contract (contradict?) each other."

I believe they are legitimately our leaders, but that are blinded by Babylon like the rest of us. The scriptures back me up on this.

drtanner
captain of 1,000

Post by drtanner »

Matthias wrote: December 10th, 2019, 2:59 pm
drtanner wrote: December 10th, 2019, 2:53 pm

Change my mind.

I never said that the Brethren are "simply a bunch of apostates who contract (contradict?) each other."

I believe they are legitimately our leaders, but that are blinded by Babylon like the rest of us. The scriptures back me up on this.
What specific examples do you have about being blinded by Babylon?

What scriptures did Nephi use to illustrate this? Are you referring to Isaiah? My guess is the scriptures that you think say specifically that the leaders in the church will all follow Babylon in the last days are the same extremely liberal interpretations regurgitated by those against the leadership of the church to try validate a false narrative. As you say look at the fruits. Is asking people to have faith in Christ, repent of their sins, and make all efforts to be worthy to attend and do work for others in the house of the lord following Babylon??

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

I think I'll wait until after President Nelson has passed before I go repenting for the I'm a Mormon stuff.

Seriously if this idea of not ever using the word Mormon is going to stick we had better be ready to stay with this cause for a couple of generations, rather like what the Community of Christ/RLDS did. Joseph Smith III started wanting to end the use of the world Mormon in the 1870's and it took nearly 100 years to purge its use, and that was in a group of people who took real offence at being called Mormons. I suspect that we will be backsliding on this in a few years.

Also should we change all the geographic place names with the word Mormon in them as well? According to the USGS there are 4380 such place names in the United States.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

:o
gkearney wrote: December 10th, 2019, 4:09 pm I think I'll wait until after President Nelson has passed before I go repenting for the I'm a Mormon stuff.

Seriously if this idea of not ever using the word Mormon is going to stick we had better be ready to stay with this cause for a couple of generations, rather like what the Community of Christ/RLDS did. Joseph Smith III started wanting to end the use of the world Mormon in the 1870's and it took nearly 100 years to purge its use, and that was in a group of people who took real offence at being called Mormons. I suspect that we will be backsliding on this in a few years.

Also should we change all the geographic place names with the word Mormon in them as well? According to the USGS there are 4380 such place names in the United States.
It will be more difficult for us than it was for the RLDS.
They were able to say "we're not Mormon's, you're confusing us with those other guys. They're the Mormons."
We can't do that.

LDS Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by LDS Watchman »

Robin Hood wrote: December 10th, 2019, 4:14 pm :o
gkearney wrote: December 10th, 2019, 4:09 pm I think I'll wait until after President Nelson has passed before I go repenting for the I'm a Mormon stuff.

It will be more difficult for us than it was for the RLDS.
They were able to say "we're not Mormon's, you're confusing us with those other guys. They're the Mormons."
We can't do that.
I guess we could always try saying that the fundamentalists are Mormons and we aren't.

Elva1045
captain of 50

Post by Elva1045 »

When I was baptized, I did not become a member of the Mormon Church. I became a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. That is what is stated on my Baptismal record. I am very happy with this fact.

I did not covenant to take upon myself the name of Mormon. I covenanted to take upon myself the name of Jesus Christ. For that reason, I was never comfortable using the nickname "Mormon."

I do not renew my covenants every Sunday at the Mormon Church. I renew my covenants at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day--the Church that belongs to Jesus Christ.

I am not a follower of Mormon. I am a follower of Jesus Christ. As much as I love the words of Mormon and respect the warrior and prophet he was, I only follow Jesus Christ.

I belong to the one Church that the Lord commanded be called the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He didn't just name it, He said He wanted it called the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. That is what is written in the Doctrine and Covenants 115:4.

I understand why the previous leaders decided to change the public's negative perception of the Church and of its members. It hindered the Church's four-fold mission:
-Proclaim the Gospel
-Perfect the Saints
-Redeem the Dead
-Care for the Poor and Needy

Correcting our poor image allowed the Church to move forward with much more success in these areas. Thus, turning around satan's original intention of making the word "Mormon" a dirty epithet.

Now, the Lord has made it clear that He wants the focus to go back to Him--our Redeemer, Savior, Lord and King. He deserves the honor, glory and respect. Mormon, as great as he was, does not deserve to be elevated above the Savior.

When I kneel to pray, I obediently and humbly address my petition to our loving Heavenly Father and I close my prayer in the sacred and holy name of Jesus Christ--not Mormon.

The Lord is pleased when we are obedient to Him. He blesses us exceedingly.

I love Jesus Christ and I choose Him over the adversary.

Elva1045

oriagain14
captain of 10

Post by oriagain14 »

Perhaps I'm just short sighted, but I don't understand how not referring to the members as Mormons is going to ultimately effect their salvation. Mormon was a great man, and through his obedience in recording, abridging, and preserving the records, literally millions of people have come to know Jesus Christ. I personally don't mind the reference, I've been able to share the Gospel more as a "Mormon" than a Latter-Day Saint, where so many don't understand the reference.

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

drtanner wrote: December 10th, 2019, 2:02 pm The Lord often allows us to make decisions that seem have a dead end (think Nephi and his brothers attempt to get the plates) but in reality are part of a larger process designed for our own growth and learning.
This is how we roll in the church. As long as a prophet is alive, we have to say what he does is inspired. As soon as he's dead and the next leader reverses course, we're free to refer to what the dead one did as just "decisions."

Most people call this "gaslighting."

I'm old enough to remember when everybody was saying how we should get out of the BSA, until the leadership said we were going to stay. Then those same people abruptly started saying we needed to stay, and calling others who didn't change their minds apostates. Only to just as quickly switch back to cheering our leaving as soon as the brethren decided to leave.

It would be hilarious if it weren't so pathetic.

drtanner
captain of 1,000

Post by drtanner »

h_p wrote: December 10th, 2019, 5:35 pm
drtanner wrote: December 10th, 2019, 2:02 pm The Lord often allows us to make decisions that seem have a dead end (think Nephi and his brothers attempt to get the plates) but in reality are part of a larger process designed for our own growth and learning.
This is how we roll in the church. As long as a prophet is alive, we have to say what he does is inspired. As soon as he's dead and the next leader reverses course, we're free to refer to what the dead one did as just "decisions."

Most people call this "gaslighting."

I'm old enough to remember when everybody was saying how we should get out of the BSA, until the leadership said we were going to stay. Then those same people abruptly started saying we needed to stay, and calling others who didn't change their minds apostates. Only to just as quickly switch back to cheering our leaving as soon as the brethren decided to leave.

It would be hilarious if it weren't so pathetic.
Unfortunately only a handful of individuals understand the importance of alignment and how / why it works? Best way to change someone’s mind? Call them to a leadership role.

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

drtanner wrote: December 10th, 2019, 5:45 pm Unfortunately only a handful of individuals understand the importance of alignment and how / why it works? Best way to change someone’s mind? Call them to a leadership role.
There's a difference between aligning under a leader, and calling what they do inspired. If the "I'm a Mormon" campaign was considered inspired under Hinckley, it should still be considered inspired, not thrown under the bus like Nelson did. If we now consider it a victory for Satan, we should have been willing to call it such at the time. You can't have it both ways, but that has never stopped us from trying.

Believing Joseph
captain of 100

Post by Believing Joseph »

drtanner wrote: December 10th, 2019, 2:53 pm You can know if President Nelson is a true prophet by the power of the Holy Ghost but just like any revelation you must follow the conditions that qualify you to receive.
There are no such things as "conditions that qualify you to receive" revelations. When Saul saw his vision on the road to Damascus, he wasn't praying for a revelation, or expecting a revelation, or living worthy to receive a revelation. He still git one, because God decided to give it to him - not for any other reason.

The Holy Ghost cannot be conjured.

drtanner
captain of 1,000

Post by drtanner »

h_p wrote: December 10th, 2019, 5:51 pm
drtanner wrote: December 10th, 2019, 5:45 pm Unfortunately only a handful of individuals understand the importance of alignment and how / why it works? Best way to change someone’s mind? Call them to a leadership role.
There's a difference between aligning under a leader, and calling what they do inspired. If the "I'm a Mormon" campaign was considered inspired under Hinckley, it should still be considered inspired, not thrown under the bus like Nelson did. If we now consider it a victory for Satan, we should have been willing to call it such at the time. You can't have it both ways, but that has never stopped us from trying.
Was Hinckley the one who came up with the campaign? How do we know it wasn't inspired and served a purpose? Was President Nelson specifically saying the "campaign was a victory for Satan?" Nuance matters. Give those disgruntled at the leaders an inch and...

drtanner
captain of 1,000

Post by drtanner »

Believing Joseph wrote: December 10th, 2019, 5:59 pm
drtanner wrote: December 10th, 2019, 2:53 pm You can know if President Nelson is a true prophet by the power of the Holy Ghost but just like any revelation you must follow the conditions that qualify you to receive.
There are no such things as "conditions that qualify you to receive" revelations. When Saul saw his vision on the road to Damascus, he wasn't praying for a revelation, or expecting a revelation, or living worthy to receive a revelation. He still git one, because God decided to give it to him - not for any other reason.

The Holy Ghost cannot be conjured.
Ah but similar to Alma the younger who still had to fast and pray many days after his experience with the angel "to know" there was more to Pauls conversion. Search and you will find. So yes there still are conditions to the conversion process.

Alma 5:45 And this is not all. Do ye not suppose that I aknow of these things myself? Behold, I testify unto you that I do know that these things whereof I have spoken are true. And how do ye suppose that I know of their surety?
46 Behold, I say unto you they are made known unto me by the Holy Spirit of God. Behold, I have fasted and prayed many days that I might know these things of myself. And now I do know of myself that they are true; for the Lord God hath made them manifest unto me by his Holy Spirit; and this is the spirit of revelation which is in me.

There is a clear pattern here.