Log Cabins

This is the place where you can discuss things completely Off Topic.
ori
captain of 1,000

Re: Log Cabins

Post by ori »

mudflap wrote: September 6th, 2020, 2:52 pm
ori wrote: September 6th, 2020, 12:15 pm I’m really loving the idea of building a log cabin. It’s my pie-in-the-sky dream.
It was my dream for about 15 years before I started. wish I would've started 15 years ago. But the stars had to line up, I guess: my ex (who said: "you can't build a log cabin - you're not a builder...") hadn't left me, and I hadn't married a woman who would say, "Let's build it!" at that point. I'll bet my ex would kick herself if she knew....
ori wrote: September 6th, 2020, 12:25 pm
mudflap wrote: September 5th, 2020, 9:21 pm front door installed:

thought this was a really cool photo, so I had to share.
Is this going to be a two-story house ?
yes. 9 foot-ish ceilings on both floors. Our kids are moving on with their lives, so it'll just be the 3 of us, we think. But we want a large place so grandkids and family will have a place to gather. This is based on the largest home the LHBA group has plans for - 40'x40'. They also sell 25'x25' plans and 30'x30' plans. If I would've built something smaller, I think I'd be done by now. much quicker to build smaller. less lumber, less concrete, less rebar, shorter logs, less roof; etc. just goes that much quicker.

I'm guessing this is the largest residence in N. Alabama built almost entirely by one person.
Well, I’m not convinced that building a log cabin is something I actually want to do. I’m handy, but not very handy. I hate manual labor for the most part. I’m way too slow at whatever I do, because I tend to fret the details. I work a desk job and I really enjoy the kind of work I do at the desk.

That said, I enjoy saving money. So that’s why I was the general contractor for finishing my basement recently. And I did a significant amount of the work myself — plumbing, electrical, and painting. Not because I liked doing it, but because I was excited to save money.

I’m very, very interested in building a sturdy cabin that will last, using the LHBA (or whatever they call themselves now) method, but I don’t want to do most of the labor myself. I need to figure out how to direct the building of a log cabin without doing the heavy lifting myself.

But I have a competing dream — a red brick house. Who knows which one will win. Maybe neither. I’m ok with some of my dreams never materializing. ;)

I also have a dream of going on a senior mission someday. Who knows ?!

Best of luck on your cabin!!! I enjoy seeing your progress.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

sounds very practical.

There's a guy in our group (LHBA) that builds cabins for a living. He's also Mormon. I follow his progress on builds he does every year- I've seen him stack logs and complete the roof in 10 days on most builds. That would save much of the labor. I don't know what he charges for that, but he's very efficient. If you ever decide to build, but want to hire out the heavy part, he'd be the best way to go.

ori
captain of 1,000

Post by ori »

mudflap wrote: September 6th, 2020, 7:55 pm sounds very practical.

There's a guy in our group (LHBA) that builds cabins for a living. He's also Mormon. I follow his progress on builds he does every year- I've seen him stack logs and complete the roof in 10 days on most builds. That would save much of the labor. I don't know what he charges for that, but he's very efficient. If you ever decide to build, but want to hire out the heavy part, he'd be the best way to go.
Sounds like the route I might want to go.

What is the finished square footage of the largest build that LHBA offers?

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

well....They sell plans up to 40'x40' (what I'm building), but once you know the principles they teach, you can build as big as you can get logs. Most logging trucks won't carry anything over 40', but you can pay them cash....for a weekend delivery.....at night.....and they might oblige you. But if you design your house with some "bump outs" that would break up the need for a single log in one piece....of course, not building square (or rectangular) increases the complication of the roof.

And we went with square (40x40) because you get more square footage for the same amount of perimeter (40x40 = 1600 sq ft, but 30x50 only = 1500 sq ft).

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

I should've said "40x40 = 1600 on the 1st floor". we are building a 2 story home, so we could have 3200 sq ft.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

KerriM
captain of 50

Post by KerriM »

I have been enjoying your blog. I stumbled onto your post here at the beginning of the week, and I’ve been sucked in. Thanks. Now I want to build my own log cabin. I probably won’t, because there’s no way my husband can (should) help. His back is shot, and if he tried to help, he would be so messed up. However, I’ve been sucked in, because my brain keeps looking for ways that we could do it anyways. There’s got to be some power tool, or some something out there that could make it possible.

It has been very interesting to see how you solve problems. And I’m sure there are plenty, but you seem to keep coming out of them just fine. I’m also appreciating how you are overcoming the weather where you live. I live in the Pacific Northwest, on the coast, and I seem to be facing some similar issues, except it doesn’t get as hot. We moved here two years ago, and I just can’t get myself to purchase an old moldy, rotting house. And I don’t know how to build one that doesn’t produce the same problem down the road, at least without going into major debt. Which is another allure to figuring out how to build how you are building. I would love to be debt free, in a house that isn’t falling apart around me.

It has also been nice to be sucked into log home building instead of the news and social media as the west coast around me seems to be on flames, and the air quality stinks. The last time I was close to a fire, I was constantly looking for updates online, to see if we were in danger, and I was a wreck. Stressed out, even though I knew in my heart we would be fine. This time, I know in my heart we will be fine, and I have only checked for major updates, but have left the constant searching in that direction alone. It’s been a blessing to have something else to keep my mind occupied.

So keep up the good work. And I will continue to follow your blog, just to see how the house is coming.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

KerriM wrote: September 13th, 2020, 1:48 pm I have been enjoying your blog. I stumbled onto your post here at the beginning of the week, and I’ve been sucked in. Thanks. Now I want to build my own log cabin. I probably won’t, because there’s no way my husband can (should) help. His back is shot, and if he tried to help, he would be so messed up. However, I’ve been sucked in, because my brain keeps looking for ways that we could do it anyways. There’s got to be some power tool, or some something out there that could make it possible.

It has been very interesting to see how you solve problems. And I’m sure there are plenty, but you seem to keep coming out of them just fine. I’m also appreciating how you are overcoming the weather where you live. I live in the Pacific Northwest, on the coast, and I seem to be facing some similar issues, except it doesn’t get as hot. We moved here two years ago, and I just can’t get myself to purchase an old moldy, rotting house. And I don’t know how to build one that doesn’t produce the same problem down the road, at least without going into major debt. Which is another allure to figuring out how to build how you are building. I would love to be debt free, in a house that isn’t falling apart around me.

It has also been nice to be sucked into log home building instead of the news and social media as the west coast around me seems to be on flames, and the air quality stinks. The last time I was close to a fire, I was constantly looking for updates online, to see if we were in danger, and I was a wreck. Stressed out, even though I knew in my heart we would be fine. This time, I know in my heart we will be fine, and I have only checked for major updates, but have left the constant searching in that direction alone. It’s been a blessing to have something else to keep my mind occupied.

So keep up the good work. And I will continue to follow your blog, just to see how the house is coming.
well, you just made my day!

Actually, there are a lot of LHBA members in the pacific NW - that's where our founder lived (Skip Ellsworth). I ask a lot of questions on our LHBA builder's forum - that's how I solve a lot of problems. the builder's forum is unlike any forum I've ever been on - nicest bunch of folks ever. I've never seen an argument on there - it is almost like a zion society - everyone is cheering each other on - breath of fresh air.

As far as doing all the work yourself - there are ways around that, too. You can hire a LHBA member I know - he can do the logs and the roof in 10 days. Or you can do like our "fat old lady" member (her words ,not mine, lol), Mary, and buy a telehandler for $10k and use that to stack logs.

yeah, when I go there to work, It's just me, sometimes alone, with the trees, sun, and a breeze. It is truly peaceful; gives me time to think about things and get away from the bad news.

The whole point of the "blog" is to cause people to think differently about everything "you were taught in school": like debt, how a home should be built, etc. I was a H.S. math teacher for a short time, and came at math differently than most people do - I have a huge music background, as well as in the outdoors, and lots of mechanical experience - it was neat to bring all that into the classroom and always made my day when a kid would have that lightbulb moment. When the mind is expanded with a new idea, it never goes back to the previous state. It's really neat - learning, and gaining new experience. And sometimes, when no one has a solution, you have "Ah-hah!" moments where you discover something new - like when I figured out how to loop a lifting strap around a rafter and hold it with a steel pin attached to a string so when the crane was done setting it in place, you could release the whole strap right from the ground. Before that, most folks would shimmy out on the rafter 25' above the ground and untie the strap by hand. The LHBA liked my idea so much, they included it in their new class videos. A lot of this comes from asking "why?" and not being satisfied until you get to the meat of the issue (my wife taught me this). Maybe the answer is because it's the best way, but maybe no one has ever thought of a different way - you might be the first!

Anyway, the log cabin thing isn't about selling anything, just trying to answer questions like, 'can a person with no experience built a home debt-free that meets code?', among other things (like prepping, of course!).

The LHBA website is here, if you're curious: https://www.lhba.com/

KerriM
captain of 50

Post by KerriM »

Thanks. I really like the idea of being able to build, without any experience. And that trick you had about the pin, I didn't get it at first. But after I saw the video, I thought that was real cool. And real cool that it worked too.

I appreciate all of the information you put out. I like info more than just pictures. And I like to know why things work too, not just the how. The video you just posted about why the house doesn't settle, I appreciate those kinds of things. But, is there also proof of that? You mentioned other members homes, being 30 years old, and the houses haven't settled. Sounds too good to be true. I lived in a 100 year old "stick built" house in New Hampshire. Lots of draft in the winter due to settling.

Anyway, thanks for putting it out there.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

KerriM wrote: September 13th, 2020, 10:13 pm The video you just posted about why the house doesn't settle, I appreciate those kinds of things. But, is there also proof of that? You mentioned other members homes, being 30 years old, and the houses haven't settled. Sounds too good to be true.
I agree - it does sound too good to be true. It was the one thing I couldn't believe either before I took the class and started building. I had researched all the LHBA claims over the years, and "why don't they settle" was the one question I couldn't find an answer to before I took the class. It kind of makes sense with the rebar, but I don't fully understand it myself. I guess the "proof is in the pudding": there are hundreds of these homes all over the US; none of the owners have ever reported any settling. If you search for "problems with log homes", settling is one of the major issues that pops up for other methods.

In Logistics, they talk about tautologies: "All rabbits hop". To prove this wrong, you would only need to find one rabbit that "doesn't hop" - say, a rabbit with a broken leg. With the LHBA log home settling question, if it weren't true, I would think there would be a forum where disgruntled former LHBA folks would get together and gripe about how their homes settled, but I haven't found that group yet.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

my chainsaw ate the sprocket, so I can't cut out new holes for windows until I get it back from the shop. so I've been chinking (applying mortar in the cracks between logs) instead... I like the results.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Are you putting in big 2F windows (too allow hoist/ pulley) to allow very large things to be moved in?

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

JohnnyL wrote: September 24th, 2020, 2:25 pm Are you putting in big 2F windows (too allow hoist/ pulley) to allow very large things to be moved in?
hmmm. what are big 2F windows?

I'm using pulleys right now to install the window and door frames.
After this, I'll use the pulleys to install my 2nd floor beams (4x12x20' pine). But my piano will be on the main floor, so it shouldn't be too hard to move in. I'll just recruit "the world's largest free labor force" A.K.A. "elder's quorum" for the piano and heavy couch. Maybe the fridge. I think I can handle everything else.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

mudflap wrote: September 24th, 2020, 6:28 pm
JohnnyL wrote: September 24th, 2020, 2:25 pm Are you putting in big 2F windows (too allow hoist/ pulley) to allow very large things to be moved in?
hmmm. what are big 2F windows?

I'm using pulleys right now to install the window and door frames.
After this, I'll use the pulleys to install my 2nd floor beams (4x12x20' pine). But my piano will be on the main floor, so it shouldn't be too hard to move in. I'll just recruit "the world's largest free labor force" A.K.A. "elder's quorum" for the piano and heavy couch. Maybe the fridge. I think I can handle everything else.
2F--second floor. I figured you could make it safer to put the "big doors" upstairs. We have had a rough time on several moves trying to get everything through doors, even sliding glass doors that are usually bigger. One time on a move we had to hoist furniture through the window.

True
captain of 100

Post by True »

mudflap wrote: September 24th, 2020, 12:46 pm Image

my chainsaw ate the sprocket, so I can't cut out new holes for windows until I get it back from the shop. so I've been chinking (applying mortar in the cracks between logs) instead... I like the results.
I’ve been waiting for that!! It looks so good:)

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

another window installed- need to do the finishing touches, but then we're done with the front. 3 left on the main floor, and I built all the remaining window frames on Saturday in the rain dumped on us by Hurricane Delta.

and

2nd floor windows will have to wait until I get the 2nd floor installed. and cut down another tree so I have lumber to make the frames.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

did some more windows yesterday and today:
now only have one left: the kitchen window. it needs to go right above the sink, so we need to know what size cabinets we are using. My wife wants them all along the wall right up to the corner, and because we are using "real logs", there's no reference point - the logs are bumpy and curvey. Anyway, we are just going to buy the corner cabinet for now, stick it in place, and use it as a reference point to determine where the kitchen window goes. But that will be in a few weeks - got to pay some bills. grrr.

Until then, more chinking. ugh. The nice thing is that the chinking looks really cool when complete.

righteousrepublic
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by righteousrepublic »

One Year of Log Cabin Building / One Man Building His Dream House

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

and

Got the front gable framed in tonight. Weekend plans are to get the plywood up there. I was working on chinking and windows, but with the unknowns for the election and aftermath....well, it'd be nice to have somewhere to go if things get spicy where we currently reside, even if it's not finished. Closing off those triangles will make a huge impact on the insulative properties of the place. I guess you could think of it as the old sunday school lesson where they put the big rocks in the jar first, then the little rocks, and finally the sand, where the big rocks are the huge gable hole, etc, etc.: "Priorities."

With it closed in, I can insulate and chink at my leisure; install the woodburning stove; maybe buy those solar panels and put a fridge out there - although we do have a temporary power pole from the city, and clean water.

KerriM
captain of 50

Post by KerriM »

So, are you not putting any windows in the gables?

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

KerriM wrote: October 24th, 2020, 12:12 am So, are you not putting any windows in the gables?
no. if we want to put windows up later, they can go in the logs.

KerriM
captain of 50

Post by KerriM »

Ok. That will cut out on the availability of light, but I understand. It will help with the heating and cooling, and just getting it done. And you won't have to figure out how to clean the windows way up there. What about venting the hot air that rises up there in the summer. Will there be another outlet? Will it even be an issue? Hopefully you can tell us when it's all finished how it all really functions. Reality vs theory.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

KerriM wrote: October 24th, 2020, 2:11 pm Ok. That will cut out on the availability of light, but I understand. It will help with the heating and cooling, and just getting it done. And you won't have to figure out how to clean the windows way up there. What about venting the hot air that rises up there in the summer. Will there be another outlet? Will it even be an issue? Hopefully you can tell us when it's all finished how it all really functions. Reality vs theory.
Yeah, my wife mentioned how hard it would be to clean those windows. She (and I agree) doesn't want people driving down the road to see if our lights are on or not. It would be difficult to put blinds up there. And it is more efficient if you have less windows. and has less natural light. sigh....yeah, we went around and around with these ideas, too.

R-values are a poor way to measure insulative properties when dealing with solid logs - this has been known since the 1970's. Thermal mass is a much better measurement, but most jurisdictions won't make the switch and I don't know why. I've seen studies where they compared two walls - a normal framed wall and a log wall with the same calculated R values, and the log wall outperforms the normal wall every time. The only thing that explains it is the thermal mass. Obviously, this means a 2' thick strawbale home would outperform my log home, but my log home will do much better in a tornado. :)

As for venting- R30 is the minimum here for the roof insulation, and R15 is required for the walls. I went R36 for the roof. The roof is in a style called a "built-up roof", so when you look up, you see the decking. From the top, the layers are: shingles, tar paper, OSB, 2" air gap, solid foam insulation (EPS), vapor barrier, roof decking. I calculated the ventilation requirements and cut vents in the eave side. The vents allow air to rise up in the roof, and then a vent cap at the peak of the roof allows the hot air to escape.

You can see the vents in the top left corner of the last picture (from the outside), and here's a picture of the insulation and roof:

My log walls average 17" thick, so with pine, I think they figure 1.25 - 1.5 R per inch, so that would make my walls between R21 - R25. I'm hearing from other LHBA (log home builders association) members that they barely use their ac. Their heating bills are very cheap as well.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

We had some friends from out of state (Oregon) swing by our place last night. As a birthday present to themselves, they drove route 66 when they were 66. Now they are touring other LHBA member's homes. We made the list! They are a super sweet couple. We talked about everything: politics, prepping, hard work, satisfaction, kids, ex’s, religion (he’s the coolest atheist I’ve ever met), dogs, cats, solar power, composting toilets, toyotas, thrift store shopping, history, west coast wildfires, tornadoes, and many more things. Oh, and log homes. :)

As for the Atheist part - he greatly admires and respects the LDS church - has lots of friends in it. I prayed I would say something that might spark his interest a little more - and told him I believe there are folks in our church who don't have the witness of God that it is true, but are still members because "it's the best church out there and does a lot of good." Maybe that's enough, I don't know. We couldn't wish for better folks than them to join up. He's got to be one of the "just men" out there. This life or the next, they'll join up. I have no doubts.

Here's Patty talking to my daughter:

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Pazooka »

mudflap wrote: August 29th, 2020, 9:49 pm door side door is in:

Loving your pics from the build! We (meaning my husband) just put together a super insulated door for our root cellar (still a work in progress). He used tongue and groove boards for the front - am wondering if that’s what you did. #GimmeAllTheWood
Attachments
37346C26-857F-4EDC-A3B7-8CB5D046F253.jpeg
37346C26-857F-4EDC-A3B7-8CB5D046F253.jpeg (909.07 KiB) Viewed 1511 times