Log Cabins

This is the place where you can discuss things completely Off Topic.
mudflap
captain of 1,000

Re: Log Cabins

Post by mudflap »

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

They look really nice.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

didn't know where to put this, but here's an idea:

https://www.zerohedge.com/personal-fina ... r-10-years
The couple spent weeks cleaning up the land, which was covered with trash and abandoned materials. They then took four months to build their “cob” home—a natural material made of clay, sand, and straw—for just CA$10,000 (approx. US$8,000).
..In order to make their earnings, Misty and Bryce run a small catering business in the local community. They get around by cycling, walking, or traveling on horseback, as they don’t have a car.

Bryce claims the reason their family is financially stable despite their lack of consistent income is their low-cost, self-sufficient lifestyle.

“We’ve worked out over the years that our annual living costs amount to approximately CA$15,000—and that’s with raising two kids,” he said. “We try to be as self-sufficient as possible, farming and harvesting all the food we eat.”
can you see how you were lied to? I bet someone beat this into you from an early age:
If you don't do well in school, you'll never go to college and get a good job and you'll end up living on the street
I'll bet it was continually reinforced until now, and you're in your 30's / 40's / 50's stuck at a dead end job, hoping Ukraine doesn't eat your 401k before you pay off your house.

Doesn't have to be that way....you don't "need" money. You can either work really hard to get rich so you can buy all the things you want, or you can work really hard, realizing you don't need all that stuff, and get what you really want without all that money.

well....I say that, and then I found this:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/couple-bu ... -1.4591742

back in 2019, "some Karen" complained to the city about their home, and now (2019) the city is suing them for $5k for not getting a building permit. Apparently the building inspector at the time basically told them if they build it with nothing but a shovel, they didn't need one. so......

The government, of course, says they are only concerned "about safety". Bingo - there it is - the government trying to ensure that
one soul shall not be lost

(Moses 4:1)

And this is why we hate the government infringing on freedom. Karens gonna Karen....

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

https://my.flexmls.com/KelseySmoot/sear ... link_modal

worth clicking just to drool over the pictures of massive logs. $400k is a steal for a custom log home of this caliber....

I watched them post updates online as they built this one.

An Eye Single
captain of 100

Post by An Eye Single »

mudflap wrote: March 7th, 2022, 8:08 am https://my.flexmls.com/KelseySmoot/sear ... link_modal

worth clicking just to drool over the pictures of massive logs. $400k is a steal for a custom log home of this caliber....

That’s in our neck of the woods! My husband and I are going to take a look at it on Thursday in preparation for our build. :)

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

An Eye Single wrote: March 8th, 2022, 8:32 pm
mudflap wrote: March 7th, 2022, 8:08 am https://my.flexmls.com/KelseySmoot/sear ... link_modal

That’s in our neck of the woods! My husband and I are going to take a look at it on Thursday in preparation for our build. :)
Hey, so did you see it? what did you think?

Tonight, I was milling logs into future porch posts. when a 12' 6x6 is $70, and you have free logs and a mill, you make your own. Hopefully, the inspector won't care whether they are graded or not...

An Eye Single
captain of 100

Post by An Eye Single »

mudflap wrote: March 17th, 2022, 8:35 pm

Tonight, I was milling logs into future porch posts. when a 12' 6x6 is $70, and you have free logs and a mill, you make your own. Hopefully, the inspector won't care whether they are graded or not...

Yeah, we did! It was pretty cool!

I missed the LHBA meeting over the weekend. I guess they were talking about it?

We didn’t get to see the shop, but we saw the main house and another build that’s in progress. It was nice to see both a finished product (to be able to get a feel for the size and space) as well as the one he’s working on (to see the construction process).

So glad that he was close enough for us to make the trip to see it. He was kind enough to answer lots of various questions, and that cedar RPSL is gorgeous!! :)

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

An Eye Single wrote: March 17th, 2022, 11:23 pm
mudflap wrote: March 17th, 2022, 8:35 pm

Yeah, we did! It was pretty cool!

I missed the LHBA meeting over the weekend. I guess they were talking about it?

We didn’t get to see the shop, but we saw the main house and another build that’s in progress. It was nice to see both a finished product (to be able to get a feel for the size and space) as well as the one he’s working on (to see the construction process).

So glad that he was close enough for us to make the trip to see it. He was kind enough to answer lots of various questions, and that cedar RPSL is gorgeous!! :)
yeah, they did a virtual tour at the meeting. I remember seeing my first build - that's what cemented it for us - that you really could do it, and here's what it would look like as a finished product. After that, we put in the foundation (already had the logs), and just went for it.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

https://www.bitchute.com/video/VeLjVnmZwW3A/

temporarily wired up the ceiling fan - I wanted to test the wiring since the junction box is 22' up - don't want to climb up there anymore.

made the 13' downrod out of a 3/4" piece of galvanized gas pipe painted black for about $30, compared to $200 for the downrod they try to sell you online.

Also, I was just going to wire the fan and light power together and have just one switch on the wall - and then use the pull chains to turn the fan on/off as needed, but this fan doesn't have any pull chains! Just a remote. So I had to run a 3rd wire for the light, and wire everything to the remote antenna and then test it to make sure it all works.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

milling some red oak for the 2nd floor railing posts:

While the world is going to crap, I'm "lifting where I stand". :)

FoundMyEden
captain of 1,000

Post by FoundMyEden »

mudflap wrote: March 22nd, 2022, 1:35 pm milling some red oak for the 2nd floor railing posts:

While the world is going to crap, I'm "lifting where I stand". :)
(In my head) "I'm not going to covet his beams...I'm not going to covet his beams...I'm not going to covet his beams." :lol:

Wow...those are some nice beams. 8-)

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

They were going to haul this log to the dump. Actually, the whole cabin wouldn't exist if I hadn't come along - the whole property was going to be bulldozed, and all the trees were going to be burned.

FoundMyEden
captain of 1,000

Post by FoundMyEden »

Unbelievable.

It’s hard to understand how someone wouldn’t see the value in that.

Great thing you came along. You’re doing an amazing job.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

FoundMyEden wrote: March 22nd, 2022, 5:04 pm Unbelievable.

It’s hard to understand how someone wouldn’t see the value in that.

Great thing you came along. You’re doing an amazing job.
well, I found out early on they don't see trees the same way folks out west do...They are more like weeds here, according to the locals. Out west, we burn pine in our wood stoves. Here - they think that's the worst thing to do, so all they burn is oak. Every piece of oak I see, I'm scheming how I can get it home to the mill so I can turn it into a coffee table or a bench or a box or something.....

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

ceiling fan photo. First "self hosted" picture I've ever posted. usually, I'm getting notices from Google / yahoo / flickr / photobucket / "BigTech" that I'm "over my limit". No more! (posting a link and a photo - the photo doesn't end with ".jpg", so I'm sure the forum will not display it. :)

https://mudbox.freedombox.rocks/bepasty/eZw64LXV

I promise it's a real photo of a ceiling fan in my cabin. Using Bepasty to host the files. pretty cool on the freedombox.

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

mudflap wrote: April 8th, 2022, 9:07 pm ceiling fan photo. First "self hosted" picture I've ever posted. usually, I'm getting notices from Google / yahoo / flickr / photobucket / "BigTech" that I'm "over my limit". No more! (posting a link and a photo - the photo doesn't end with ".jpg", so I'm sure the forum will not display it. :)

https://mudbox.freedombox.rocks/bepasty/eZw64LXV

I promise it's a real photo of a ceiling fan in my cabin. Using Bepasty to host the files. pretty cool on the freedombox.
Looking good hermano 👍

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

I AM BEYOND IMPRESSED WITH YOUR SKILLS!

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Momma J wrote: April 12th, 2022, 6:39 am I AM BEYOND IMPRESSED WITH YOUR SKILLS!
So am I.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

you guys are funny. It's just me. :)

meanwhile, I started a new "microblog" on my homeserver - just post thoughts I'm having, in a shorter format than my main blog (which is geared towards folks who want to do what I'm doing). This microblog, however, is going to be the "post-cabin blog" I'm self hosting - wider range of subjects. Ironically, today, I wrote about log cabins (I'm infected and highly contagious - you've been warned...):

The target market for an LHBA home: the cashier at a grocery store?

https://mudbox.freedombox.rocks/ikiwiki ... me__63___/

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

you guys thinking I'm the king or something....here's my biggest project before building a log cabin:

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

sanding some door and window frames that got sunbleached before I could stain them:

https://mudbox.freedombox.rocks/ikiwiki ... or_frames/

actually, the frames were made from green wood so I couldn't stain them right away. now I'm going to poly them.

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

mudflap wrote: April 20th, 2022, 8:17 am you guys thinking I'm the king or something....here's my biggest project before building a log cabin:

I was convinced you were the king when I saw you milling your own lumber.

Baurak Ale
Nauvoo Legion Captain

Post by Baurak Ale »

We are also putting in a large garden right now. It feels right but I don't expect success to be 100% the first time around. I've been telling my friends around here that the most valuable thing we will harvest this year is the knowledge from the mistakes we will make. We are going to want to have this down to a science in short order.

As an aside, I happened upon your post about Kalona Supernatural Milk. I used to unload milk tankers for them! I would test the bacteria and fat levels of the milk coming in. Always super clean and super creamy milk coming from those Amish farms. The "low and slow" pasteurization process Kalona Supernatural (we just call it the Kalona creamery) uses really makes a difference. That and the milk they get is sourced from the Amish. Some of the Amish I know are getting irritated by them though because they keep pursuing additional "organic" certifications that have increasingly bizarre rules for the Amish to follow. In a recent example they told me how the Kalona creamery was going to require some sort of milking instructors to come down and teach the Amish how to milk their cows. The Amish man I was speaking to balked at the thought, saying, "Do they think we don't know what we're doing? I'm going to start selling to an A2A2 place down in Missouri before that happens." Mind you this is only one of the latest hurdles the creamery has imposed on their farmers in the pursuit of regulated certifications. The government makes it hard and expensive to get certain labels, further pushing out small-scale family farms. That said, the Kalona creamery could afford to pay around $25 per 100lb of milk—the highest in the industry a couple years ago (most conventional milk farms are paid $5-or-so per 100lb!).

One more anecdote from Amish milking: a family we know used to do the common thing and feed their calves formula so they could maximize the milk production of the mother for increased milk sales. Well they took the advice of Sally Fallon, whose wisdom we stick to in our family's diet, and started feeding their calves their mothers' milk despite the anticipated financial loss from lower milk sales. Turns out they ended up increasing profits because this change eliminated a huge expense that had otherwise been a standard among cow farms: veterinary bills! Turns out that calves raised on their mothers' milk are healthy enough to not need constant doctor upkeep. I've worked with farm veterinary systems and—let me tell you—in the standard livestock industry that is a huge, huge business. Just like people, the medical maintenance of livestock is a money machine when money-driven dietary standards are adhered to.