Log Cabins

This is the place where you can discuss things completely Off Topic.
Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Re: Log Cabins

Post by Silver Pie »

That's sad. The wood looks really good for being exposed for 8 years (in reply to a comment, the guy said he misspoke in the video - it has been since 2015). Too bad the guy wasn't more realistic and built a one story , with the option to add on later if he wanted to and had the funds/inclination.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

Prepping for more chinking. Couldn't get much done yesterday - I strained my back early this week lugging my cement mixer up and down the stairs. Just getting over that, and I caught a cold today. hate it when stuff slows me down.

https://mudbox.freedombox.rocks/ikiwiki ... _chinking/

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

^ That wall is done (dark gray lines are still wet, and the corner is a separate animal):

And look at this pantry wall in the kitchen - I think it looks cool: https://mudbox.freedombox.rocks/ikiwiki ... n_finally/

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

mudflap wrote: ↑April 8th, 2023, 6:01 pm ^ That wall is done (dark gray lines are still wet, and the corner is a separate animal):

And look at this pantry wall in the kitchen - I think it looks cool: https://mudbox.freedombox.rocks/ikiwiki ... n_finally/

Looking good!!! πŸ‘πŸ‘

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

https://mudbox.freedombox.rocks/ikiwiki ... n_counter/

sneak peak of kitchen counter tops:

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

Started gluing counter tops:

https://mudbox.freedombox.rocks/ikiwiki ... nter_tops/

takes a lot of glue and clamps!

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

I love the color of the pantry wall.... and the I love the grain on the counter tops! Very nice

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

Momma J wrote: ↑April 27th, 2023, 5:24 am I love the color of the pantry wall.... and the I love the grain on the counter tops! Very nice
yes! the wall color is called "Zen" officially. I just call it "green". I commented to my wife that it's hard to tell what color the walls are - mostly green; while the cabinets are off-white, and the oak counter tops don't really have a color either - orange? pink? brown? All the colors are soothing, IMO. Anyway, did the final glue up of the counter top last night:
https://mudbox.freedombox.rocks/ikiwiki ... l_glue_up/

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

Those are some very big clamps! I am seriously excited to see them installed.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

Momma J wrote: ↑May 2nd, 2023, 7:24 am Those are some very big clamps! I am seriously excited to see them installed.
It's cool to have neighbors.... these are all borrowed. He has a bunch of 8 footers, too, just in case I need to make a conference room table or something.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

upstairs floors finished:

block and tackle is invaluable for lifting a 180 lb floor sander...

Also - ALL the 1st floor sanding is done as of last night: finished the last of the beams in the hallway.

Still need to sand all the logs on the 2nd floor, but that will be after moving day.

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

mudflap wrote: ↑May 11th, 2023, 8:21 am upstairs floors finished:

Also - ALL the 1st floor sanding is done as of last night: finished the last of the beams in the hallway.

Still need to sand all the logs on the 2nd floor, but that will be after moving day.
Moving right along!!

FrankOne
captain of 1,000

Post by FrankOne »

A part of me is envious and another part is happy where I am. I guess I've always been split on where to ride this thing out.

Makes me reminisce . I built a log cabin back in '93 with the high vaults , 2nd floor, and tongue and groove ceilings. It was a beautiful place. I sold it a few years later to follow work I had.

My hat is off to you and what you are doing. It is so rewarding to do the work yourself. If it's not too private of a question, what 'general' area are you in?

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

FrankOne wrote: ↑May 11th, 2023, 11:12 am

A part of me is envious and another part is happy where I am. I guess I've always been split on where to ride this thing out.

Makes me reminisce . I built a log cabin back in '93 with the high vaults , 2nd floor, and tongue and groove ceilings. It was a beautiful place. I sold it a few years later to follow work I had.

My hat is off to you and what you are doing. It is so rewarding to do the work yourself. If it's not too private of a question, what 'general' area are you in?
oooo! cool. Another builder!

yes - we are in "The South" (East).

I used to wonder what would happen if my job forced me to re-locate, but after covid.....I would just quit, and dig ditches or mow lawns or something.

I'm at the point in my life where I really want to stabilize, put down roots, and stop chasing a career all over the country. I know some folks do that, and that's fine for them, but I want a slower life, and I think I've found it here...

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

mudflap wrote: ↑May 11th, 2023, 11:58 am
FrankOne wrote: ↑May 11th, 2023, 11:12 am

oooo! cool. Another builder!

yes - we are in "The South" (East).

I used to wonder what would happen if my job forced me to re-locate, but after covid.....I would just quit, and dig ditches or mow lawns or something.

I'm at the point in my life where I really want to stabilize, put down roots, and stop chasing a career all over the country. I know some folks do that, and that's fine for them, but I want a slower life, and I think I've found it here...
Amen hermano! After having a fast moving high paced big money lifestyle in Babylon, I found myself thoroughly unfulfilled.... And strongly 'urge'(πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‚πŸ˜) all my brothers and sisters to honestly consider a simple lifestyle. πŸ™πŸ™
I want to be around folks that appreciate the simple life..... They're my people.πŸ’ͺ😎 (like the Amish/anabaptists, what great examples to us saints of what intentionally choosing to turn from Babylon looks like, I pray we get there soon as a people)

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

counter top is in, so is the sink:

https://loghomejourney.wordpress.com/20 ... untertops/

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

mudflap wrote: ↑May 12th, 2023, 9:46 pm counter top is in, so is the sink:

It's getting there!!! How close are you to move in, would you estimate? This summer/fall type of time line?

FrankOne
captain of 1,000

Post by FrankOne »

I love your fabricated counter top. I haven't had the patience to construct such things, although now, getting older, I find pleasure in doing the 'custom' work. I'm more into concrete, so the next counter top I will be doing when I remodel our kitchen will be concrete. There's some cool things out there now that can be added into concrete to give it a granite look etc.

If I were to build a kitchen with an island tho, I would definitely follow what you've done with the glued planking. Makes a giant cutting board.

I love vaults so much that I've considered turning my flat ceiling in the living room and kitchen into a vault. I've been studying it out and I think I could rebuild my trusses in the attic and then cut out the bottom cord of the existing trusses. .! lol...sounds crazy tho. Removing the insulation would be like summoning the devil. I dislike working with old insulation more than any other part of construction. I'll likely just put in 3 large skylights and be done with it. There, I've talked myself out of it again...hahahah

FrankOne
captain of 1,000

Post by FrankOne »

I am in high hopes that your location will be a point of gathering. they are real, my friend. We can't pass on certainty, but if it were possible, I would do so. Hopefully we'll meet each other when this is over.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

FrankOne wrote: ↑May 13th, 2023, 7:36 pm I am in high hopes that your location will be a point of gathering. they are real, my friend. We can't pass on certainty, but if it were possible, I would do so. Hopefully we'll meet each other when this is over.
I was out there working today - but yeah- I was going to say I had the same idea with rafters in my house - why not open them all the way to the roof? I think that would look cool - exposed trusses in a regular house with skylights.

Yes, we feel some kind of whispering that it will be a place of refuge for more than just us. didn't mean to build it so big, but here we are with it.

FrankOne
captain of 1,000

Post by FrankOne »

mudflap wrote: ↑May 13th, 2023, 8:03 pm
FrankOne wrote: ↑May 13th, 2023, 7:36 pm I am in high hopes that your location will be a point of gathering. they are real, my friend. We can't pass on certainty, but if it were possible, I would do so. Hopefully we'll meet each other when this is over.
I was out there working today - but yeah- I was going to say I had the same idea with rafters in my house - why not open them all the way to the roof? I think that would look cool - exposed trusses in a regular house with skylights.

Yes, we feel some kind of whispering that it will be a place of refuge for more than just us. didn't mean to build it so big, but here we are with it.
it's refreshing to watch you going thru this. I'm older than I had thought I'd be when tshtf.... but... everything in it's time. There will be gatherings., 2 people to thousands. Anyone that says any different is mislead and a liar. Sorry to be so bold, but the conjecture is getting beyond the pale. If your place is a gathering location, consider alot of young children. I'm not woo woo btw.

TwochurchesOnly
captain of 1,000

Post by TwochurchesOnly »

Very beautiful !
Inspiring

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

mudflap wrote: ↑May 19th, 2023, 5:53 pm video update:

https://www.bitchute.com/video/1tv4RaRMgVtK/
Video is great! Looking like a home!!! And the most important room(the shop) looks great!.. the drywall butting up to the logs looks, wow.
Make sure to tell the old lady that we can appreciate her attention to detail on that! πŸ˜ŽπŸ˜ŽπŸ‘

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

Cruiserdude wrote: ↑May 19th, 2023, 6:05 pm
mudflap wrote: ↑May 19th, 2023, 5:53 pm video update:

https://www.bitchute.com/video/1tv4RaRMgVtK/
Video is great! Looking like a home!!! And the most important room(the shop) looks great!.. the drywall butting up to the logs looks, wow.
Make sure to tell the old lady that we can appreciate her attention to detail on that! πŸ˜ŽπŸ˜ŽπŸ‘
I tell her all the time! She's like, "meh. I probably could've done better." I'm like, ?????

I've never seen anyone do drywall up to the logs like that - it just blows my mind.