Log Cabins

This is the place where you can discuss things completely Off Topic.
mudflap
captain of 1,000

Re: Log Cabins

Post by mudflap »

https://mudbox.freedombox.rocks/ikiwiki ... t_drywall/

more boring drywall. But the second photo - for those who know what drywall should look like - your eyes should pop out of your head when you see how impressive a job my wife is doing getting the drywall joint to meet up with the bumpy logs. It's nearly perfect. (she won't let me say "perfect").

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

I agree, she is doing an AMAZING job on the drywall around the logs!

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

mudflap wrote: February 13th, 2023, 8:54 pm https://mudbox.freedombox.rocks/ikiwiki ... t_drywall/

more boring drywall. But the second photo - for those who know what drywall should look like - your eyes should pop out of your head when you see how impressive a job my wife is doing getting the drywall joint to meet up with the bumpy logs. It's nearly perfect. (she won't let me say "perfect").
I hope that inspector follows through with what he told you in that blog post. Sucks that he didn't keep his word with what he'd originally told you.

That drywall next to the logs looks perfect to me.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

Those are stunning!

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

Momma J wrote: February 20th, 2023, 8:37 am Those are stunning!
yeah, wait'll he gets them sanded, finished and with the sink installed.

2x6x8's currently go for $7.55 each here, so for ~ $40 + glue and epoxy, he's going to end up with a $1k countertop.

I'll be sure to get a pic when he's done.

ours are going to be from some home-milled oak I made - I expect them to pop a bit more than pine, lol.

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

I love the grains in oak. What are you planning on treating your countertops with?

I kind of wish we had gone with a live edge on countertops, but it was out of my price range. I had to go with some prefab from Lowes. I simply oil them a couple times per year. (don't look too closely as there is still a lot of little things we need to address.)
Attachments
New kitchen.jpg
New kitchen.jpg (122.42 KiB) Viewed 791 times

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

Momma J wrote: February 20th, 2023, 10:40 am I love the grains in oak. What are you planning on treating your countertops with?

I kind of wish we had gone with a live edge on countertops, but it was out of my price range. I had to go with some prefab from Lowes. I simply oil them a couple times per year. (don't look too closely as there is still a lot of little things we need to address.)
what? those are awesome! what a beautiful kitchen! It looks really good.

I'm thinking of just doing an epoxy for the counter tops. We won't really use the wooden ones for food prep that much, so I'm not worried about "food grade" anything. I guess I could oil them. Not sure.
Last edited by mudflap on February 20th, 2023, 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

Drywall panels installed for 1st floor - just need to figure out the bathrooms, which will have tile:

https://loghomejourney.wordpress.com/20 ... bathrooms/

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

Momma J wrote: February 20th, 2023, 10:40 am I love the grains in oak. What are you planning on treating your countertops with?

forgive me for asking, but why does everyone like live edge countertops? I'm weighing my options. Is it just the look, or is there something about it that makes it better? I mean, I like live edge ok - it did all my door and window frames in live edge slabs, and they look cool, but I'm not sure why you would want live edge countertops. just wondering.

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

mudflap wrote: February 20th, 2023, 7:16 pm

forgive me for asking, but why does everyone like live edge countertops? I'm weighing my options. Is it just the look, or is there something about it that makes it better? I mean, I like live edge ok - it did all my door and window frames in live edge slabs, and they look cool, but I'm not sure why you would want live edge countertops. just wondering.
Now that we have these countertops, I am glad that we went this direction. I love the looks of live edge, but they would get bumped on a regular basis. Not a great choice. I am considering open shelves with live edge on a couple walls.

Our counters were not stained originally. I went with a medium walnut food grain stain to add some warmth. The large piece that I cut out for the sink was stained a dark walnut for contrast. I use that for my cutting board. Simply adding some rubber feet to the bottom. I leave it sitting on the countertop near the stove.

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

mudflap wrote: February 20th, 2023, 6:59 pm Drywall panels installed for 1st floor - just need to figure out the bathrooms, which will have tile:

https://loghomejourney.wordpress.com/20 ... bathrooms/
That is incredible work on piecing together the little notches of sheetrock!

It is pricy, but we went with Johns Manville GoBoard in the areas that I tiled in the bathroom. Much of the work I did myself and needed something lightweight and cement backerboard would have been a beast for me to manipulate. I had to search around Houston to find enough panels.

This is my first-time putting tile on a wall. This pic was before adding trim. I simply painted the old shiplap. (sorry, I do not know how to reduce the size of the pics)
Attachments
bath.jpg
bath.jpg (184.78 KiB) Viewed 718 times

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

wow. very nice!

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

mudflap wrote: February 21st, 2023, 5:45 am wow. very nice!
Your work shows true talent. It will stand for generations!

Our lack of skill in the country cottage is perfectly imperfect. Like us, there is a great deal of quirky charm. :lol:

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

Just a note... and I am certain that you have thought of this... (just making sure)

Since you are stacking your firewood under the cabin and in the garage, please leave an access for cats to get in as well. We learned quickly that blocking the feral cats' access holes allowed the field mice and rats a safe haven in the stacked wood.

I am teaching my husband to even give our area skunk and the snakes free run under the house. I do not want our pex piping to be chewed through when rodents are looking for water! We have a lot of garter and ribbon snakes in the area. (So far, I have not come across anything venomous)

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

I put all the pex inside the interior walls, except for one line that goes to the kitchen sink that I had no way to get to that area of the kitchen inside the interior walls. I insulated around it pretty good so it won't freeze.

Today was handrail day:
https://mudbox.freedombox.rocks/ikiwiki ... ing_there/

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Are those rebars?
mudflap wrote: February 25th, 2023, 8:32 pm I put all the pex inside the interior walls, except for one line that goes to the kitchen sink that I had no way to get to that area of the kitchen inside the interior walls. I insulated around it pretty good so it won't freeze.

Today was handrail day:

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

Silver Pie wrote: February 26th, 2023, 4:49 pm Are those rebars?
mudflap wrote: February 25th, 2023, 8:32 pm I put all the pex inside the interior walls, except for one line that goes to the kitchen sink that I had no way to get to that area of the kitchen inside the interior walls. I insulated around it pretty good so it won't freeze.

Today was handrail day:

yes!

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Cool! It never occurred to me to use those for railings.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

Silver Pie wrote: February 27th, 2023, 1:51 pm Cool! It never occurred to me to use those for railings.
well...heh, heh.... it sure takes a lot of rebar - 6 pieces @ 10' each for each section of railing or 17 pieces @ 36-1/4" each. I felt like I was working in a metal shop all day - cutting rebar and painting it.

Anyway - it's done now - more pictures here: https://loghomejourney.wordpress.com/20 ... y-railing/

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

mudflap wrote: February 27th, 2023, 7:46 pm well...heh, heh.... it sure takes a lot of rebar - 6 pieces @ 10' each for each section of railing or 17 pieces @ 36-1/4" each. I felt like I was working in a metal shop all day - cutting rebar and painting it.
Wow!

Anyway - it's done now - more pictures here: https://loghomejourney.wordpress.com/20 ... y-railing/
It looks really good.

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

I was reading your notes on wiring. I am sure you will retrace the wiring and figure it out!

We have a three-way switch downstairs that some yaaa-hoo tied to the jaccuzi bathtub upstairs. In order to run the jets on the tub, the light switch downstairs needs to be flipped up.

We also have a light switch way too close to a shower (almost in the shower) ...

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Momma J wrote: March 10th, 2023, 1:04 pm We have a three-way switch downstairs that some yaaa-hoo tied to the jaccuzi bathtub upstairs. In order to run the jets on the tub, the light switch downstairs needs to be flipped up.

We also have a light switch way too close to a shower (almost in the shower) ...
Sounds like someone wired it who was a bit lost on how to do it right - even on basic facts such as electricity and water are a really bad match.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

Luke 14:28 which of you, intending to build a tower, sitteth not down first, and counteth the cost, whether he have sufficient to finish it?
29 Lest haply, after he hath laid the foundation, and is not able to finish it, all that behold it begin to mock him,
30 Saying, This man began to build, and was not able to finish.
Case in point: