Log Cabins

This is the place where you can discuss things completely Off Topic.
Post Reply
User avatar
mudflap
captain of 1,000
Posts: 2028
Location: Alabama
Contact:

Re: Log Cabins

Post by mudflap »

Momma J wrote: June 14th, 2022, 11:39 am The pictures are an amazing testament to the sweat equity you have in your home. I also poked around and enjoyed your post on "Crazy inflation"
Thanks! There's a way to automatically receive any updates I post there - click on https://mudbox.freedombox.rocks/ikiwiki ... theMudbox/, and look for the "Atom/RSS" buttons, click it, then copy the url and paste the url into your favorite "reader" app.... I don't even watch news anymore - just get feeds pushed to me from my favorite sources.

"sweat equity" is right. We're at the point in summer where I'm going through a gallon of water every evening working on it.....

For your drooling pleasure: https://my.flexmls.com/JAMESNOLEN1/sear ... 3818000000

this guy is LDS; lives in NC/VA, and has built probably 100 log homes all over the country. He does it for a living. Him and I are going to provide you schlubs with housing in "the New Jerusalem"... :)

User avatar
mudflap
captain of 1,000
Posts: 2028
Location: Alabama
Contact:

Re: Log Cabins

Post by mudflap »

Image


User avatar
mudflap
captain of 1,000
Posts: 2028
Location: Alabama
Contact:

Re: Log Cabins

Post by mudflap »

Image

my BIL came out from St George to give me advice on air conditioning (he owns an air conditioning business there). He also does professional photography for some local magazines. amazing photo - I can never get this much in one photo...

Yeliab
captain of 50
Posts: 56

Re: Log Cabins

Post by Yeliab »

i just saw this post and all I can say is WOW! Well, not quite all I can say ... I would love to build one and be debt free. It's a lifelong dream of mine and my whole family now.

User avatar
mudflap
captain of 1,000
Posts: 2028
Location: Alabama
Contact:

Re: Log Cabins

Post by mudflap »

Yeliab wrote: July 16th, 2022, 10:56 am i just saw this post and all I can say is WOW! Well, not quite all I can say ... I would love to build one and be debt free. It's a lifelong dream of mine and my whole family now.
thank you!

It is a worthy goal - one that God can help you achieve. After doing this one, I would suggest something smaller - would be faster, and use less materials.

User avatar
mudflap
captain of 1,000
Posts: 2028
Location: Alabama
Contact:

Re: Log Cabins

Post by mudflap »

picked up some steel today to make 2 more brackets -

Image

they will hold up the 3rd floor that i'm not supposed to have according to code...I'll rest a 4x12x19' beam on the brackets, and 2x12x19' across that for an attic / extra storage.

User avatar
mudflap
captain of 1,000
Posts: 2028
Location: Alabama
Contact:

Re: Log Cabins

Post by mudflap »

https://mudbox.freedombox.rocks/ikiwiki ... r_bracket/

deciding on how tall to make the ceiling for the 2nd floor (so we can have a 3rd floor) - - looks like it will just work out that the ceiling joists/floor joists sit right at the same height where the rafters sit down on the top row of logs - 7' 6". So the ceiling will be a bit low, but still to code (min. 7'6").

logonbump
captain of 100
Posts: 160

Re: Log Cabins

Post by logonbump »


User avatar
mudflap
captain of 1,000
Posts: 2028
Location: Alabama
Contact:

Re: Log Cabins

Post by mudflap »

logonbump wrote: July 23rd, 2022, 12:15 am Log Teepee https://youtu.be/tHDxlk17EQc
I like that wood stove they have there.

User avatar
mudflap
captain of 1,000
Posts: 2028
Location: Alabama
Contact:

Re: Log Cabins

Post by mudflap »

https://mudbox.freedombox.rocks/ikiwiki ... floor_tub/

2nd floor tub stubbed in. It's a small win. :)

User avatar
Cruiserdude
captain of 1,000
Posts: 3481
Location: Wasatch front

Re: Log Cabins

Post by Cruiserdude »

mudflap wrote: July 29th, 2022, 8:06 am https://mudbox.freedombox.rocks/ikiwiki ... floor_tub/

2nd floor tub stubbed in. It's a small win. :)
The pic didn't load for me but I can picture what you're saying in that blog post👍👍

'It's the little things, not expectations, that make life worth living.'
JJ Grey

User avatar
mudflap
captain of 1,000
Posts: 2028
Location: Alabama
Contact:

Re: Log Cabins

Post by mudflap »

Cruiserdude wrote: July 29th, 2022, 8:51 am
mudflap wrote: July 29th, 2022, 8:06 am https://mudbox.freedombox.rocks/ikiwiki ... floor_tub/

2nd floor tub stubbed in. It's a small win. :)
The pic didn't load for me but I can picture what you're saying in that blog post👍👍

'It's the little things, not expectations, that make life worth living.'
JJ Grey
yeah, something wrong with my server - I fixed it - try again?

User avatar
Cruiserdude
captain of 1,000
Posts: 3481
Location: Wasatch front

Re: Log Cabins

Post by Cruiserdude »

mudflap wrote: July 29th, 2022, 9:35 am
Cruiserdude wrote: July 29th, 2022, 8:51 am
mudflap wrote: July 29th, 2022, 8:06 am https://mudbox.freedombox.rocks/ikiwiki ... floor_tub/

2nd floor tub stubbed in. It's a small win. :)
The pic didn't load for me but I can picture what you're saying in that blog post👍👍

'It's the little things, not expectations, that make life worth living.'
JJ Grey
yeah, something wrong with my server - I fixed it - try again?
Okay yep, it loaded now. Yeah that's kinda what I was picturing.... Just an idea, not sure if it'd even be feasible, but I have seen cool metal water piping exposed in some upper scale homes I've been in. It's kinda that industrial look, nahmean?
But if it was for me, I'd likely leave that bad boy as is 😁

User avatar
mudflap
captain of 1,000
Posts: 2028
Location: Alabama
Contact:

Re: Log Cabins

Post by mudflap »

Cruiserdude wrote: July 29th, 2022, 9:55 am
mudflap wrote: July 29th, 2022, 9:35 am
Cruiserdude wrote: July 29th, 2022, 8:51 am
mudflap wrote: July 29th, 2022, 8:06 am https://mudbox.freedombox.rocks/ikiwiki ... floor_tub/

2nd floor tub stubbed in. It's a small win. :)
The pic didn't load for me but I can picture what you're saying in that blog post👍👍

'It's the little things, not expectations, that make life worth living.'
JJ Grey
yeah, something wrong with my server - I fixed it - try again?
Okay yep, it loaded now. Yeah that's kinda what I was picturing.... Just an idea, not sure if it'd even be feasible, but I have seen cool metal water piping exposed in some upper scale homes I've been in. It's kinda that industrial look, nahmean?
But if it was for me, I'd likely leave that bad boy as is 😁
yeah, we are going for "modern farmhouse" / "industrial" style, so maybe we can just leave it. have to patch the floor or something, though. lots of black and bronze hardware / lights. I think it works well with the honey colored pine.

Image

User avatar
mudflap
captain of 1,000
Posts: 2028
Location: Alabama
Contact:

Re: Log Cabins

Post by mudflap »

https://mudbox.freedombox.rocks/ikiwiki ... _handrail/

Milled some oak slabs in preparation for stair handrails and balcony last night. Have to have a railing to meet code (and move in) so....

These logs were going to be sent to the landfill, believe it or not....

User avatar
mudflap
captain of 1,000
Posts: 2028
Location: Alabama
Contact:

Re: Log Cabins

Post by mudflap »


User avatar
mudflap
captain of 1,000
Posts: 2028
Location: Alabama
Contact:

Re: Log Cabins

Post by mudflap »

Image

put up a piece of drywall on a non-electric / non-plumbing wall so I could see if the kitchen cabinets were going to fit - they are 1/4" too wide; luckily, I can shave that much off the sides of them and make them fit. Have to wait on the rest of the drywall till I pass inspection on the rough in, but I think it looks pretty cool.



User avatar
mudflap
captain of 1,000
Posts: 2028
Location: Alabama
Contact:

Re: Log Cabins

Post by mudflap »

I got interviewed by a friend on diaspora:

http://www.leshoshin.ca/the-free-shoshin/log-cabin-passion-with-mudflap

Her husband is Buddhist , and they run an animal shelter for a living; nice folks.

Momma J
captain of 100
Posts: 520

Re: Log Cabins

Post by Momma J »

The scaffolding gives a nice perspective of the height in the loft area. Your work is stunning!

User avatar
mudflap
captain of 1,000
Posts: 2028
Location: Alabama
Contact:

Re: Log Cabins

Post by mudflap »

Momma J wrote: September 8th, 2022, 9:04 am
The scaffolding gives a nice perspective of the height in the loft area. Your work is stunning!
Thank you! Just following directions here... :)

yeah, that scaffolding is 12', and there's still 5' to the bottom of that log - 3' more to the peak of that roof - so 20' loft on the second floor. Way too tall, but we needed the head room so we could put the stairs up against the wall. It makes sense to me anyway....

User avatar
Silver Pie
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 5847
Location: Terra Firma or head in the clouds; not sure which

Re: Log Cabins

Post by Silver Pie »

Not anywhere near the quality of the cabin being built in this thread, but I thought these were interesting ideas.


User avatar
mudflap
captain of 1,000
Posts: 2028
Location: Alabama
Contact:

Re: Log Cabins

Post by mudflap »

I've seen those - pretty cool - that little stove and that cabin would be all you'd need to stay warm.

Post Reply