You have to keep breaking your heart until it opens - Rumi

For non-mainstream, heterodoxical discussions. Request access to the Heretic Group here.
Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

You have to keep breaking your heart until it opens - Rumi

Post by Silver Pie »

This site has this -

Under it, the blog poster wrote this:
If you don't, Life will do it for you. Either way, BE BRAVE. Beautiful treasures spill out of broken hearts.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Re: You have to keep breaking your heart until it opens - Rumi

Post by Silver Pie »

I put this in this forum, because I would like deep comments, if anyone feels so inspired to share them.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

I was looking for a quote that says if you don't break your heart, God will do it for you, but have not been able to find it, so the below will have to suffice:

Source:
"ye shall repent of your sins, and come unto me with a broken heart and a contrite spirit." [ [3 Nephi 12: 19] ]

Repenting will be accompanied by a broken heart and contrite spirit. When you turn to Him and see clearly for the first time how dark your ways have been, it should break your heart. You should realize how desperately you stand in need of His grace to cover you, lift you, and heal you. You can then appreciate the great gulf between you and Him. (Moses 1: 10.)

If you had to bear your sins into His presence it would make you burn with regret and fear. (Mormon 9: 3-5.) Your own heart must break.

When you behold how little you have to offer Him, your spirit becomes contrite. He offers everything. And we can contribute nothing but our cooperation. And we still reluctantly give that, or if we give a little of our own cooperation we think we have given something significant. We have not. Indeed, we cannot. (Mosiah 2: 20-21.) He honors us if He permits us to assist. We should proceed with alacrity when given the chance to serve.

-
The heart that will not break does not understand the predicament we live in. The proud spirit is foolish and blind. Our perilous state is such that we can forfeit all that we have ever been by refusing Christ's invitation to repent and turn again to Him.

But we still hesitate. We still hold back.

He really can save you. He has that power. He holds those keys. Even death and hell are conquered by Him. (Mosiah 15: 7-9.) But His victory cannot become ours unless we repent and turn again to Him.

Davka
captain of 1,000

Post by Davka »

Have you hear this song? It is a favorite of mine and this quote makes me think of it. It’s called “Broken.”
Broken clouds give rain
Broken soil grows grain
Broken bread feeds man for one more day
Broken storms yield light
The break of day heals night
Broken pride turns blindness into sight

Broken souls that need His mending
Broken hearts for offering
Could it be that God loves broken things

Broken chains set free
Broken swords bring peace
Broken walls make friends of you and me
To break the ranks of sin
To break the news of Him
To put on Christ till His name feels broken in

Broken souls that need His mending
Broken hearts for offering
I believe that God loves broken things

And yet, our broken faith, our broken promises
Sent love to the cross
And still, that broken flesh, that broken heart of His
Offers us such grace and mercy
Covers us with love undeserving

This broken soul that cries for mending
This broken heart for offering
I'm convinced that God loves broken me
Praise His name—my God loves broken things
So, broken cloud—Give rain
And broken soil—Grow grain
And broken bread—Feed man for one more day

simpleton
captain of 1,000

Post by simpleton »

This always comes to mind, by Joseph Smith:

"You will have all kinds of trials to pass through. And it is quite as necessary for you to be tried as it was for Abraham and other men of God... God will feel after you, and He will take hold of you and wrench your very heart strings and if you cannot stand it you will not be fit for an inheritance in the Celestial kingdom of God"

andrewkeola
captain of 10

Post by andrewkeola »

Another quote by Rumi:
"The wound is the place where the light enters you."

I think the reason why light can now enter is because we finally let go of what seemed to work for us until the moment we discover it's imperfection. Letting go is the catalyst for change. Until we let go of old patterns of behavior including thought and emotional patterns, (doing, thinking, feeling), we are doomed to repeat the same experiences over and over.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

That makes sense, andrewkeola. Without that wound breaking open your (speaking generally) heart, it's closed and hardened.

I think letting go is a form of letting go of pride, because we let go of what we "know" or are in the habit of doing.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

For a while (since I was young), I suffered from depression (and anxiety). I prayed and tried to check off a long list of things I thought I was supposed to do to get prayers answered, but still, I suffered. It hurt so much - I wanted to die, but I couldn’t bring myself to kill myself. For one thing, “thou shalt not kill” and maybe the other side wouldn’t be much better - who knows? I felt like I was in a deep, dark pit and every time I tried to get out, I’d slide back down.

Not only was I suffering but I was blind to the source of it... until line upon line, I began to see what I’d been blind to all my life. A respected, intelligent but kind friend gently but matter-of-factly told me I was in a cult. In my attempt to prove him wrong, I shockingly discovered he was mostly right. Gradually, that motivated me to look underneath and try to see more clearly other aspects of my life - like my childhood family and my marriage. I discovered that though my thought patterns and life traps played a big part in my suffering, others (the cult, some of my childhood family & spouse) were abusively holding me down - de-pressing me. I learned to assert myself and have boundaries and a lot of the depression lifted, though I have more to work on.

• As for quotes... these have encouraged me...

“Crying is one of the highest devotional songs. One who knows crying, knows spiritual practice. If you can cry with a pure heart, nothing else compares to such a prayer. Crying includes all the principles of Yoga.”
― Kripalvanandji

“You say you're 'depressed' - all i see is resilience. You are allowed to feel messed up and inside out. It doesn't mean you're defective - it just means you're human.”
― David Mitchell

“Depression presents itself as a realism regarding the rottenness of the world in general and the rottenness of your life in particular. But the realism is merely a mask for depression's actual essence, which is an overwhelming estrangement from humanity. The more persuaded you are of your unique access to the rottenness, the more afraid you become of engaging with the world; and the less you engage with the world, the more perfidiously happy-faced the rest of humanity seems for continuing to engage with it.”
― Jonathan Franzen, How to Be Alone

“Just an observation: it is impossible to be both grateful and depressed. Those with a grateful mindset tend to see the message in the mess. And even though life may knock them down, the grateful find reasons, if even small ones, to get up.”
― Steve Maraboli, Life, the Truth, and Being Free
The last quote, ^ reminds me of a scripture...
  • Matthew 9:17...Neither do men put new wine into old bottles: else the bottles break, and the wine runneth out, and the bottles perish: but they put new wine into new bottles, and both are preserved.
Also, Positive Disintegration theory is this idea that suffering serves important purposes - to help us disintegrate the old bad and reintegrate in better ways.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positive_disintegration

Some songs I imagine singing to God...
God bless the broken road https://youtu.be/Do32g82qilk
Others... Just empathy... Broken wing https://youtu.be/dgjTO5eAbZY

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Silver Pie wrote: August 18th, 2019, 10:40 pm I put this in this forum, because I would like deep comments, if anyone feels so inspired to share them.
“The highest, most decisive experience is to be alone with one's own self. You must be alone to find out what supports you, when you find that you can not support yourself. Only this experience can give you an indestructible foundation.” - Carl Jung

“In desperate love, we always invent the characters of our partners, demanding they be what we need of them, and then feeling devastated when they refuse to perform the role we created in the first place.” - Elizabeth Gilbert

“Every time your heart is broken, a doorway cracks open to a world full of new beginnings, new opportunities.” – Patti Roberts

“There is no better than adversity. Every defeat, every heartbreak, every loss, contains its own seed, its own lesson on how to improve your performance the next time.” - Malcolm X

“The heart was made to be broken...
How else but through a broken heart may Lord Christ enter in?” - Oscar Wilde

“This is a good sign, having a broken heart. It means we have tried for something.” - Elizabeth Gilbert

“When God gets us alone through suffering, heartbreak, temptation, disappointment, sickness, or by thwarted friendship - when He gets us absolutely alone, and we are totally speechless, unable to ask even one question, then He begins to teach us.” - Oswald Chambers

Durzan
The Lord's Trusty Maverick

Post by Durzan »

This happened to me multiple times. The most broken my heart has ever been was right after I witnessed the vision that led to the creation of my poem "The Epic of Raphael" and coming to understand the implications of that great and terrible series of events.

BruceRGilbert
captain of 1,000

Post by BruceRGilbert »

It is so very vital that we don't loose track of where we have come from. Much is said in the Book of Mormon about being "hard hearted." The Lord has to break such hearts, that they may become softened. The "softened" heart is one that has been broken, either from what has happened "externally" or what is brought about "internally." Christ lives with a "broken heart" whose broken "stings" intertwine you and I, in an effort to "bind us" to Him and restore His empathetic rend. He weeps from time to time . . . for US. It is a longing to restore us to His embrace. It is a love unfathomable.

The Airbender
captain of 1,000

Post by The Airbender »

Silver Pie wrote: August 18th, 2019, 10:39 pm This site has this -

If you don't, Life will do it for you. Either way, BE BRAVE. Beautiful treasures spill out of broken hearts.
I've been trying to break my heart for 10 years.

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

The Airbender wrote: January 6th, 2020, 8:36 pm

Knife your ego. Pride is what's keeps us from a broken heart.

"learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart:..."

John Tavner
captain of 1,000

Post by John Tavner »

BruceRGilbert wrote: January 6th, 2020, 1:48 pm It is so very vital that we don't loose track of where we have come from. Much is said in the Book of Mormon about being "hard hearted." The Lord has to break such hearts, that they may become softened. The "softened" heart is one that has been broken, either from what has happened "externally" or what is brought about "internally." Christ lives with a "broken heart" whose broken "stings" intertwine you and I, in an effort to "bind us" to Him and restore His empathetic rend. He weeps from time to time . . . for US. It is a longing to restore us to His embrace. It is a love unfathomable.
Yes, I was struck earlier at how often in the scriptures it tells us to remember. If we do not remember the Lord and His tender mercies in our own life. If we do not remember His forgiveness and long-suffering, then we will fall ourselves. On a deeper level an broken heart by itself does not allow one to receive salvation - it is a broken heart WITH a Contrite Spirit. A contrite Spirit is one that has been bruised and so is no longer desiring it's own will, but the LOrd's. Many people have broken hearts, but when turning to the Lord with a broken heart, miracles happen. I still remember my experience when both of those qualifications met. My world view was instantly changed. God changed me. I became a new person. It came at the moment when I knew I coulnd't do it (broken heart) and I needed someone else (God) to do it and I was willing to do whatever it took to obtain what I desired. I was doing all I knew how. The Lord answered. As we maintain a broken heart and contrite Spirit (becoming as a little child) we are taught everything we need to know - we become more like the Lord. He abides in us. In my opinion the opening, the true opening is turning to God and saying- what would you have me do, I"m willing ot give up all for you.
As we remember the mercy of hte Lord and it is only through Him we are saved and His great forgiveness toward us - we remember to be merciful to our fellow brethren and sisters. Our heart breaks for their pain and we desire them to partake of the fruit that we have partaken of because it is sweet. One day when we partake of the tree itself - even Jesus Christ, we will desire others to also partake. We must remember though.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

The Airbender wrote: January 6th, 2020, 8:36 pm

Hm. I’m sure there’s a remedy. ;)

Have you been around people you thought loved you, betray you, criticize you & gang up on you, making you feel alone even when around them?

Have you traveled to places where children starve, or seen children abused, or seen raped victims “legally” killed?

Although it’s a silent killer - no screams heard - abortion may have claimed the most lives. Have you seen an abortion?

I’m sure there are many other ways of breaking hearts.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Thank you for those quotes. They are really helping me in my quest to be right before God.
Thinker wrote: January 6th, 2020, 3:57 am “The highest, most decisive experience is to be alone with one's own self. You must be alone to find out what supports you, when you find that you can not support yourself. Only this experience can give you an indestructible foundation.” - Carl Jung

“In desperate love, we always invent the characters of our partners, demanding they be what we need of them, and then feeling devastated when they refuse to perform the role we created in the first place.” - Elizabeth Gilbert

“Every time your heart is broken, a doorway cracks open to a world full of new beginnings, new opportunities.” – Patti Roberts

“There is no better than adversity. Every defeat, every heartbreak, every loss, contains its own seed, its own lesson on how to improve your performance the next time.” - Malcolm X

“This is a good sign, having a broken heart. It means we have tried for something.” - Elizabeth Gilbert

“When God gets us alone through suffering, heartbreak, temptation, disappointment, sickness, or by thwarted friendship - when He gets us absolutely alone, and we are totally speechless, unable to ask even one question, then He begins to teach us.” - Oswald Chambers

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

The Airbender wrote: January 6th, 2020, 8:36 pmI've been trying to break my heart for 10 years.
Perhaps you should ask God to break it for you, if you're serious about having a broken heart. A warning, though- if he does so, it will hurt (and you may even forget that you asked for it and/or the purpose of it).

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Thank you for bumping the thread, Thinker. Earlier, this post (below) really touched my soul, and made me think: "Am I worried about the state of my soul? Do I have any niggling doubts?" Then I read the quotes you shared, and the following posts, and they have spurred me to talk to God about my standing, and to take such things more seriously than I have been doing.
Lexew1899 wrote: January 5th, 2020, 12:45 pmI've had several theophanies where the Second Comforter has visited me, so am not worried in any degree about the state of my soul.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Silver Pie wrote: January 10th, 2020, 3:16 pm Thank you for those quotes. They are really helping me in my quest to be right before God.
Thinker wrote: January 6th, 2020, 3:57 am “The highest, most decisive experience is to be alone with one's own self. You must be alone to find out what supports you, when you find that you can not support yourself. Only this experience can give you an indestructible foundation.” - Carl Jung

You have a good heart, SilverPie. 😊👍🏼

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Silver Pie wrote: January 10th, 2020, 3:24 pm Thank you for bumping the thread, Thinker. Earlier, this post (below) really touched my soul, and made me think: "Am I worried about the state of my soul? Do I have any niggling doubts?" Then I read the quotes you shared, and the following posts, and they have spurred me to talk to God about my standing, and to take such things more seriously than I have been doing.
Lexew1899 wrote: January 5th, 2020, 12:45 pmI've had several theophanies where the Second Comforter has visited me, so am not worried in any degree about the state of my soul.
If you feel like expanding on that, I’d be interested to know what you mean.

Over the years, I (as I imagine, others also) have accrued kind-of psychological knots - feelings that have been stuffed for too long. Things left unresolved. Gradually, line upon line - literally through putting emotion into words - I think it’s being untangled. And the Spirit helps. But often it hasn’t been pretty. Many years worth of built up anger and hurt. As I approached this massive sense of anger - it scared me but I also felt some new hope of relief. Since I was little, all that anger was turned inward - I struggled with self hatred, depression etc.

Anger serves a purpose - especially when expressed assertively in healthy ways. But sometimes it was just yelling or exercising to release or manage it. I’ve also found that people - especially influential people in my life - served as a wake up call - not fun, but necessary. Pain/e-motion has a way of getting my attention & motivates me to rethink and make changes.

Carl Jung and Jordan Peterson have discussed the shadow. As I mentioned, you have a good heart - I see it often in this forum. Everyone has a good heart - though they may not express it. But also everyone has a negative side. Nobody wants to think of themselves negatively - especially when deep anger surfaces and evil thoughts arise. But we’re human and processing those emotions helps transform them to good and also prevents them from coming out subconsciously twisted. So, even though I told you you have a good heart, don’t feel like you have to only show that side of you. And I won’t either. Hope that came out right.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Thinker wrote: January 10th, 2020, 4:24 pmIf you feel like expanding on that, I’d be interested to know what you mean.
Just that when I read that post, a part of me realized that if I was absolutely sure of my standing before God (and it was good), then I would have no fear of anything or anyone. I wouldn't second-guess myself if I didn't believe something someone who claimed authority (whether in or out of any Church) said I had to do. I would do what God wanted me to do. Period.

Then, when I came to this thread, the quotes you posted-and the comments of the others-seemed to verify the necessity of a connection with God, and with being humble enough to know him, and with being willing to know him. (I hope that makes sense. It really isn't easy to put into words the thoughts that were in my heart when I read the posts.)

Gradually, line upon line - literally through putting emotion into words - I think it’s being untangled. And the Spirit helps. But often it hasn’t been pretty. Many years worth of built up anger and hurt. As I approached this massive sense of anger - it scared me but I also felt some new hope of relief. Since I was little, all that anger was turned inward - I struggled with self hatred, depression etc.

Anger serves a purpose - especially when expressed assertively in healthy ways. But sometimes it was just yelling or exercising to release or manage it. I’ve also found that people - especially influential people in my life - served as a wake up call - not fun, but necessary. Pain/e-motion has a way of getting my attention & motivates me to rethink and make changes.
I think the Spirit definitely helps us if we are willing (sometimes we're not, but don't see that). I also think that anger is telling us something needs to be worked through inside of us - and that turning anger inward is as bad as turning it outward.

Carl Jung and Jordan Peterson have discussed the shadow.
I did some shadow work in the past (using books/articles I don't recall now). It was kind of scary at one point, just confronting my deep dark parts of self.

As I mentioned, you have a good heart - I see it often in this forum. Everyone has a good heart - though they may not express it. But also everyone has a negative side. Nobody wants to think of themselves negatively - especially when deep anger surfaces and evil thoughts arise. But we’re human and processing those emotions helps transform them to good and also prevents them from coming out subconsciously twisted. So, even though I told you you have a good heart, don’t feel like you have to only show that side of you. And I won’t either. Hope that came out right.
Thank you. I do understand what you said. I don't feel worthy of the praise, though. I keep remembering a poster named Chris who, for some reason I can't fathom, I lit into and was angry at and short-tempered with. Turned out he was new to online posting (so he didn't know/understand all the ropes), and I gave him such a negative experience, he soon left LDSFF. That haunts me, still. Apologizing to him was not enough (though he seemed to have accepted it); I couldn't make my words to him never happen. :(

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Silver Pie wrote: January 10th, 2020, 5:26 pm
Thinker wrote: January 10th, 2020, 4:24 pmIf you feel like expanding on that, I’d be interested to know what you mean.
Just that when I read that post, a part of me realized that if I was absolutely sure of my standing before God (and it was good), then I would have no fear of anything or anyone. I wouldn't second-guess myself if I didn't believe something someone who claimed authority (whether in or out of any Church) said I had to do. I would do what God wanted me to do. Period.

Then, when I came to this thread, the quotes you posted-and the comments of the others-seemed to verify the necessity of a connection with God, and with being humble enough to know him, and with being willing to know him. (I hope that makes sense. It really isn't easy to put into words the thoughts that were in my heart when I read the posts.)

Gradually, line upon line - literally through putting emotion into words - I think it’s being untangled. And the Spirit helps. But often it hasn’t been pretty. Many years worth of built up anger and hurt. As I approached this massive sense of anger - it scared me but I also felt some new hope of relief. Since I was little, all that anger was turned inward - I struggled with self hatred, depression etc.

I think the Spirit definitely helps us if we are willing (sometimes we're not, but don't see that). I also think that anger is telling us something needs to be worked through inside of us - and that turning anger inward is as bad as turning it outward.

Carl Jung and Jordan Peterson have discussed the shadow.
I did some shadow work in the past (using books/articles I don't recall now). It was kind of scary at one point, just confronting my deep dark parts of self.

As I mentioned, you have a good heart - I see it often in this forum. Everyone has a good heart - though they may not express it. But also everyone has a negative side. Nobody wants to think of themselves negatively - especially when deep anger surfaces and evil thoughts arise. But we’re human and processing those emotions helps transform them to good and also prevents them from coming out subconsciously twisted. So, even though I told you you have a good heart, don’t feel like you have to only show that side of you. And I won’t either. Hope that came out right.
Thank you. I do understand what you said. I don't feel worthy of the praise, though. I keep remembering a poster named Chris who, for some reason I can't fathom, I lit into and was angry at and short-tempered with. Turned out he was new to online posting (so he didn't know/understand all the ropes), and I gave him such a negative experience, he soon left LDSFF. That haunts me, still. Apologizing to him was not enough (though he seemed to have accepted it); I couldn't make my words to him never happen. :(
Thanks for explaining more. If I understand you right, you had been asserting your right to not be forced to comply religiously and did want to prioritize God above others, yet you realized and felt the need to be more connected with God.

Everyone makes mistakes. I’ve regretted how I’ve communicated at times, too. Sometimes the hardest person to forgive is oneself. But that is most needed to be “given” to go “for”ward. And there’s always a silver lining... when people have been less-than-nice to me, it reminds me to only trust in God - and only look to God for that sense of unconditional love.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Thinker wrote: January 11th, 2020, 2:16 pm If I understand you right, you had been asserting your right to not be forced to comply religiously and did want to prioritize God above others, yet you realized and felt the need to be more connected with God.
Yes, pretty much. Connected with God, and I wouldn't care what anyone else thought about what I said, thought, or did.

Everyone makes mistakes. I’ve regretted how I’ve communicated at times, too. Sometimes the hardest person to forgive is oneself. But that is most needed to be “given” to go “for”ward. And there’s always a silver lining... when people have been less-than-nice to me, it reminds me to only trust in God - and only look to God for that sense of unconditional love.
It is certainly an impetus for me to forgive everyone - if I forgive, the scriptures say I'm forgiven.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

This topic reminds me of the heart of spirituality & spiritual progress. I wish there were more of them on the forum.

It seems that truly, one of the aspects of God is relationships - how well we help one another find joy through progress. Ironically, it is often those who have hurt me (or who I interpret to hurt me) who present the greatest opportunities for growth. It happened today but luckily I had a little time to myself to process - sort out - thoughts. I realized again, that how people treat me does not dictate my value but rather their state of mind, generally.

It seems that each of us regularly have our hearts broken. Things happen that hurt - besides all the old unhealed emotional wounds. It’s just that there are so many distractions that it’s like taking pain-killers but ignoring the problem, the source of pain. It often takes someone “bumping” old wounds to bring them into focus to heal them.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »