What's the Best Talk You've Ever Heard?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
viper55th
captain of 10

What's the Best Talk You've Ever Heard?

Post by viper55th »

I'd like to create an uplifting thread for everyone. Please post a link in your comments to the best talk (or one of the best talks) you've ever heard.

Thank you!

Here is a link to one of my favorite talks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdhD5HSKrBo (Be Ye Clean)

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Re: What's the Best Talk You've Ever Heard?

Post by BeNotDeceived »

eddie wrote: May 11th, 2018, 6:32 pm “The world is in need of your help. There are feet to steady, hands to grasp, minds to encourage, hearts to inspire, and souls to save.”

PRESIDENT THOMAS S. MONSON
The reality of living with mental health challenges differs from person to person. Symptoms and concerns such as depression or anxiety may be manifest in unique ways, even when individuals have the same diagnosis. We invite Church and community members alike to increase their compassion and support of those who are struggling and take an active role in caring for their own mental health.

WATCH YOUR WORDS. Your language can change perceptions. Avoid potentially harmful or negative phrases, and choose words that are more descriptive of what you observe. Visit Time to Change or the American Psychiatric Association to learn more.
Be a friend. Listen patiently and without judgment when others share their concerns. Help them locate professional resources if they need additional support. Visit HelpGuide.org or Active Minds to learn more.
Practice self-care. The limitations of mortality may require us to slow down and restore our strength at certain times (see Mosiah 4:27). It is not selfish to take time for yourself. Visit Mind.org or watch a TED Talk on the importance of self-care to learn more.

Great words 8-)

More here: compassion

Hmm, this popped up when I searched my notes app for 2039. Recently I put all my posts on a thread in the same notes file, so I was looking to add one, but rather this popped up. Enjoy, but please go easy on mrgreen, poor guys really been up to no good lately. :lol: :mrgreen:

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

Sermon on the Mount: The Beatitudes
Matthew 5:3-16
3 Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

4 Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.

5 Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.

6 Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.

7 Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.

8 Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.

9 Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.

10 Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness’ sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

11 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

12 Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.

13 ¶Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men.

14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.

15 Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.

16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

gangbusters
captain of 100

Post by gangbusters »

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... d?lang=eng

The Vision of the Redemption of the Dead by President Ballard. Incredible what President Joseph F. Smith went through in his life. So much loss, and at the very end of his life, after having gone through all that, he received the great vision.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... y?lang=eng

Maybe my all time favorite, on integrity of heart. Something that is important to me. Loved this one.

oneClimbs
captain of 1,000

Post by oneClimbs »

This is a tough one. I'm sure if I thought about it more I could do better but these are my favorite off the top of my head:

Bruce R. Mc Conkie's final testimony
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLqQ_Smimvc

Stages of Faith, Jon Paulien (not a "talk" per se)
http://oneclimbs.com/2015/08/13/audio-s ... n-paulien/

Paul Washer's sermon to thousands of youth
http://oneclimbs.com/2012/02/27/a-power ... ul-washer/

markharr
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by markharr »

justme
captain of 1,000

Post by justme »

Elder Poelman, The difference between the church and the gospel. The original talk as given in general conference not the edited and refilmed one that was published.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

The difference between the church and the gospel. I would like to have heard that in it's original form. That is the type of thing that makes me think the church is true.

I think my favorite talks are Ezra Taft Benson, The Proper Role of Government, and The Constitutions will be saved, but not in Washington. Those were definitely the ones that made me think the church and the Mormons were on the right track.
dc

ShockHouse
captain of 100

Post by ShockHouse »

Definitely "Sunday Will Come" by Joseph B. Wirthlin.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... e?lang=eng

I had a really good friend commit suicide while we were in high school. The person speaking at the funeral based their talk around this talk. And here is one of my favorite lines:
I think that of all the days since the beginning of this world’s history, that Friday was the darkest. But the doom of that day did not endure. The despair did not linger because on Sunday, the resurrected Lord burst the bonds of death.

Vision
captain of 1,000

Post by Vision »

A sacrament meeting talk by a guy named David Lopez. He titled his talk "who gets your best today". As a result I often ask myself if I am giving my best today to the people I'm with.

Another great talk was by Sister Aguayo. She was having problems with a teenage son. She detailed how she changed the way she looked at him which changed the way she treated him. In turn the boy noticed the difference and he responding positively and they both were happier. It was a great example of applying Christ like love to change the outcome.

The best talks are not what you hear, but how they make you feel.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Responsibility of fathers to teach their children - Marion D. Hanks

sandman45
captain of 1,000

Post by sandman45 »

Mine is this one.
When our father Adam came into the garden of Eden, he came into it with a celestial body, and brought Eve, one of his wives, with him. He helped to make and organize this world. He is MICHAEL, the Archangel, the ANCIENT OF DAYS! about whom holy men have written and spoken—He is our FATHER and our GOD, and the only God with whom WE have to do. Every man upon the earth, professing Christians or non-professing, must hear it, and will know it sooner or later.[32]- Prophet Brigham Young
https://contentdm.lib.byu.edu/digital/c ... s3/id/1861

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

I was on my mission, only days away from going home at the end of my service.

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

Beauty for Ashes by Bruce Hafen

When I read it first time, it somehow gave me a new perspective on the atonement and grace. I understood that:
The Savior's atonement is thus portrayed as the healing power not only for sin, but also for carelessness, inadequacy, and all mortal bitterness. The Atonement is not just for sinners.

ParticleMan
captain of 100

Post by ParticleMan »

Best or not, one talk was unlike any other I've experienced. For a period of time, most talks tended to be sugarcoated. This talk, no fluff--it was very refreshing. Whenever the topic is touched upon, it tends to be more implicit. This talk, sharp focus, direct, to the point.

However, discussing the talk much further is unlikely to be helpful, that is, except for any, few though there appears to be, who had the same experience as my friend and I.

We saw and heard the talk during the live broadcast but that's it. We can't refer to it again because, inexplicably, the talk wasn't published, neither can any evidence of it be found anywhere, and few others saw and/or remember it. But there are also those who have had a similar experience with other talks.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

The following drastically changed my perspective. I listened to them over a period of time (long!) but if you want some “spiritual meat” as opposed to milk, here you go.

Jordan Peterson bible series (I especially like his reference to symbolic meaning, from Jung etc): https://youtu.be/jHm1sYZM3Vc

Bruce Lipton: where mind and matter meet, a biological explanation of the power of belief. https://youtu.be/YackvFSlDQk

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Faust is sure to contain links to my second best talk.

In some silly class today, the instructor showed a chart of standards ranked 1 to 4. But as technology has increased it has become more susceptible to the effects of lightning. Now #1 standard is no longer adequate. Somewhere I recall someone using -1, whether for this reason or another, I cannot recall. Anyways talks by the Saviors must Trump all. So prolly better to rank a, b, c and save A, B, C for Savior type talks.

Acuity
EmmaLee wrote: August 25th, 2018, 12:58 pm ... There will be many appearances, as the scriptures indicate. Some will be more 'quiet' than others, and we all may not know when those have happened. As for the grand, all-earth-encompassing return of Christ in glory to the world - no notification necessary. We'll all be there (either as mortals or resurrected beings - it doesn't matter which) to witness it first-hand and there will be no mistaking what is happening.
Acuity describes well this concept; so too does tuning a crystal as President Faust demonstrates in his address entitled Did You Get the Right Message? Vision may also mean images perceived via the minds eye i. e. the GDP bar graph in orange can be visualized as it might look in a few years. The crossing of the Moon’s shadow likewise is merely a two dimensional plotting of four dimensional phenomena. We indeed see darkly, yet key glimpses can enlighten us if we have eyes to see, ears to hear or the mental sharpness to visualize complex correlations.

^^ there’s a sample, to which experiences of the last few days hint that our spiritual tuner, may aid the tuning of our physical tuners. Plotting eclipse paths and phase lock tuning, are advances in technology that indeed give us the eyes to see, and the ears to hear.

righteousrepublic
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by righteousrepublic »

Great Experiences

To Die Well

Hold Up Your Hands

Keep the Commandments

Thou Shalt Not

In other words, Sterling W Sill is one of my favorite speakers of all time.

righteousrepublic
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by righteousrepublic »

God Will Not Be Mocked

gradles21
captain of 1,000

Post by gradles21 »

This talk by Elder Paul V Johnson. He gave this talk just days after my 12 month old baby was diagnosed with cancer, it was exactly what my wife and I needed to hear.