Slavery reparations.

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Slavery reparations.

Post by Fiannan »

Democrat candidates: https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/he ... eparations

NAACP: https://www.naacp.org/latest/naacp-supp ... ending-in/

I just wonder, the scriptures say that the sins of the fathers should not be visited upon their children. We are to be held personally responsible for what we do. In addition, doesn't this go way further than even that? Reparations would require taxpayers who had absolutely nothing to do with slavery to have to pay for something that happened nearly two centuries ago in the USA?

And what people, if we are going to merely look upon people as part of a group based on skin color or ethnicity, has not practiced slavery? And what people have not been enslaved? Greece was raided as late at a century ago by the Ottomans for slaves, primarily young female slaves. Should Turkey pay Greece? North Africans raided the coastlines of all of Europe for slaves until the power of the Spanish, and later British, navies put a stop to that. So what is the reasoning for such an idea? If the Democrats took power and put this into effect could that be the final straw for fracturing the nation?

Gage
captain of 100

Re: Slavery reparations.

Post by Gage »

Its all for votes, they know it will never happen. If one of them is elected, for 4 years we will hear, "we need to study the issue and have informed conversations"

justme
captain of 1,000

Post by justme »

I am probably one of the more progressives on this site but I think this is a very delicate and complex issue with many nuances. Even Obama treaded lightly on this subject and thought that there was better ways to spend that money effectively on anti poverty and other measures that would accomplish the same overall goals.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

We can talk about this as soon as all the blacks in the history of the world who have had slaves (there are MANY), have made reparations to their descendants. And also, after the Egyptians have paid reparations to the Hebrews. And after every other person/group/country/etc. who has ever had slaves since the beginning of time, have paid reparations to all their descendants. Gonna be awhile.

This is nothing but leftist rhetoric in a vain and foolish attempt to get votes - nothing more, nothing less. It's not about poverty, or helping blacks, or anything else. If any of these "progressives" really cared one whit about people being in slavery, they would spend their time, money, and breath fighting CURRENT slavery that is very much still present all over the globe - but they don't say a word, or do a thing, about that - which reveals their true motives (and ding, ding, ding! it's not to help black people).

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

This is nothing but leftist rhetoric in a vain and foolish attempt to get votes - nothing more, nothing less.
What matters is the day after the election. If you can manipulate enough people to vote for you then you win. The left is good at that.

https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/tom-b ... win-did-he

layer8prob@gmail.com
captain of 100

Post by layer8prob@gmail.com »

It is in fact just a stupid vote buying scheme that isn't even popular among most center-left Democrats. Coming out in favor of such reparations is in my opinion one of several bad moves by the Democrat party and their presidential candidates that will come back to bite them in the general election. You know I wouldn't despise Democrats so much if they were capable of moderating their message and platform. If they back off of just two things they would be far less hated:

1) gun control

2) identity politics and the associated anti-First Amendment agenda that goes with it

But they're not capable of that instead they have an orange clad Bay Area idiot openly talking about forced gun confiscations (something they said would never happen) in their candidate debate and an openly homosexual man who professes to be a devout Christian lecturing other Christians about hypocrisy. This is the Democrat party now and they wonder why I would enthusiastically support a former Democrat from New York who is otherwise abrasive and crude.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

Why just reparations for slaves though? My ancestors were forced to flee Germany in the1800s due to religious persecution, leaving behind what I hear was a prosperous glass factory. Plus my LDS ancestors that were forced to flee West, leaving property behind. Certainly their suffering is worthy of reparations ? /victim

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

This is the Democrat party now and they wonder why I would enthusiastically support a former Democrat from New York who is otherwise abrasive and crude.
Sad part is, many Mormons would vote for Satan himself against Trump if Satan was soft-spoken, polite and said he was a moderate.

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

justme wrote: July 18th, 2019, 10:32 am...I think this is a very delicate and complex issue with many nuances...
Nope. Not at all. It's about as simple as can be: On one side you have power-hungry political whores. On the other side you either have lazy, greedy people or people unfortunately caught up in a difficult economical world (although I tend to lean more toward the former on this issue.)
…Even Obama treaded lightly on this subject ...
Of course he did. He was more of an ego than anything else through much of his run. He wanted to be sure his legacy remembered him as his adoring wind-up followers did. He was a mouthpiece groomed to be put where he was. Early on this was so very clearly evident as when he didn't have a teleprompter to tell him what to say and/or he forgot the memorized lines he had, he sounded like GW Bush, drunk, with a brain trauma, on his worst day. Actually, a couple times when he was knocked off track of his memorized pablum, it was HIGH-larious to watch him flop around like a trout on the shore.

(Don't get me wrong: Dubya was no Einstein or Talmage, but early Obama was more tottering than Clinton was explaining the blue dress.)

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

This one is easy: Reparations paid IN FULL VALUE of a lifetime's wages for every person who was held as a slave, and half that paid to their children, to be paid directly by everyone who ever owned a slave. If the slavery was any further distance than one generation, at that point it's up to each individual to make their own way. There were some people selling THEMSELVES into slavery just so they could be brought here to work 7-15 years for the privilege of coming here, and they made their own way.

Being a victim is unfortunate at best and a tragedy at worst. However, REMAINING a victim is a choice.

Keep in mind, this is coming from someone with ancestors who were here as long or longer than all of you. This land was stolen, in many cases, from my ancestors (and others.) However, all that happened LONG before I was here. My choice to succeed or fail is my own. Whether people 400 years ago had some of my distant relatives killed off is not relevant to how hard I apply myself.

passionflower
captain of 1,000

Post by passionflower »

Isn't it true that Joseph Smith wanted to end slavery, but as far as any reparations were concerned, they were to go to the former slave owner. According to JS, the slave owner should be financially compensated by the government for the loss of his slaves.

I agree. That sounds fair. If the government was going to take away their workforce, how could the plantation rebuild and readjust to a new type of economy without that same government helping them out? Otherwise economic chaos would ensue, and how in the world is that supposed to help the newly freed black slave looking for work?

Today in the US we historically treat southern plantation owners as if they were criminals who need to be forever punished. But according to Booker T Washington, they were not guilty of anything. Slavery becoming a states right institution in the southern half of the US was entirely the fault of the US government, according to him, anyway.

innocentoldguy
captain of 100

Post by innocentoldguy »

EmmaLee wrote: July 18th, 2019, 11:00 am We can talk about this as soon as all the blacks in the history of the world who have had slaves (there are MANY), have made reparations to their descendants. And also, after the Egyptians have paid reparations to the Hebrews. And after every other person/group/country/etc. who has ever had slaves since the beginning of time, have paid reparations to all their descendants. Gonna be awhile.

This is nothing but leftist rhetoric in a vain and foolish attempt to get votes - nothing more, nothing less. It's not about poverty, or helping blacks, or anything else. If any of these "progressives" really cared one whit about people being in slavery, they would spend their time, money, and breath fighting CURRENT slavery that is very much still present all over the globe - but they don't say a word, or do a thing, about that - which reveals their true motives (and ding, ding, ding! it's not to help black people).
I believe it is also part of the Neo Marxists' plan, on both sides of the aisle, to bankrupt America for the purpose of rebuilding it as a Venezuela-style utopia (for them). To pull off the notions of that vainglorious moron Karl Marx, his followers believe we need to get America addicted to socialized medicine and other social programs, get rid of America's guns, destroy capitalism and the family, and bankrupt the country.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

innocentoldguy wrote: July 22nd, 2019, 9:41 am
EmmaLee wrote: July 18th, 2019, 11:00 am We can talk about this as soon as all the blacks in the history of the world who have had slaves (there are MANY), have made reparations to their descendants. And also, after the Egyptians have paid reparations to the Hebrews. And after every other person/group/country/etc. who has ever had slaves since the beginning of time, have paid reparations to all their descendants. Gonna be awhile.

I believe it is also part of the Neo Marxists' plan, on both sides of the aisle, to bankrupt America for the purpose of rebuilding it as a Venezuela-style utopia (for them). To pull off the notions of that vainglorious moron Karl Marx, his followers believe we need to get America addicted to socialized medicine and other social programs, get rid of America's guns, destroy capitalism and the family, and bankrupt the country.
Yep, absolutely.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

Since no person alive has been a slave, there are no reparations due.
Now if the blacks want to contribute to a fund in gratitude for being brought to this great nation and express their thanks for everything in which they have, the fund might be used for some useful purpose. If they do not wish to express gratitude for being here, I would certainly be in favor of giving them a one way ticket back at taxpayer expense which is far cheaper than perpetual welfare payments.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

Larry Elder recently spoke at the House Judiciary Committee on “reparative justice” and knocks it out of the park.

markharr
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by markharr »

Reperations were paid in blood.

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

Grant Cardone is a Billionaire. His father died when he was 10. As a teenager he was a drug addict. He was beaten so badly one time that his mother did not even recognize him. One day, he was tired of being a victim. Nobody gave him anything. He got off his butt and worked hard. He lived minimally until he had saved enough to buy some property. He now owns thousands of apartment buildings. His story is not unique.

The only think holding blacks down is themselves. They are given many advantages that amount to reverse discrimination. No sympathy here. Grow up and take personal responsibility. Learn how to talk and quit the crybaby crap.

tdj
captain of 1,000

Post by tdj »

I think reparations have already been paid with welfare and food stamps in particular. This would also include those free Obama phones, along with affirmative action, state funded black only colleges, as well as the undocumented cases of more qualified whites being passed up for jobs, promotions, etc. Also don't forget all the blood taken out against whites from blacks over the years in the forms of violence, domestic violence, burglaries, drive bys........I could go on and one.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Fiannan wrote: July 19th, 2019, 3:10 am
This is the Democrat party now and they wonder why I would enthusiastically support a former Democrat from New York who is otherwise abrasive and crude.
Sad part is, many Mormons would vote for Satan himself against Trump if Satan was soft-spoken, polite and said he was a moderate.
He'd have to be adorned in a red RHINO blazer to really capture the vote. :lol:

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

justme wrote: July 18th, 2019, 10:32 am I am probably one of the more progressives on this site but I think this is a very delicate and complex issue with many nuances. Even Obama treaded lightly on this subject and thought that there was better ways to spend that money effectively on anti poverty and other measures that would accomplish the same overall goals.
How about just tell them to grow up. Take personal responsibility for your life and quit being a crybaby. Nobody today is a slave and nobody today is a slave owner. Water under the bridge. If blacks want to be equal, they have the same opportunity as anyone else to get an education. Declining an education is a personal decision. They choose to speak a trash ebonic and act like a cave man. The choice they made to make that so was a personal one and not because some white guy 200 years ago had cheap labor. Nobody is stuck in a ghetto unless their legs are broken. Get out of bed and start walking. Easy, peasy. Now you are out of the ghetto. You want an education, then get one. Don't act like a primate and disrupt the class. Learn to control yourself and behave. If you can't figure that out, then we have cages for you to live in.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

ajax wrote: June 2nd, 2021, 6:30 pm [youtube]6uVE2CGhgus
I had heard or read that Africans kidnapped Africans for slave trades. The reason there is no outcry for Africans to make reparations is likely related to the reason why covid psy ops has focused on the US, but not Africa as much, even when blacks in America with low vitamin D get covid/flu more - but somehow not in Africa!

They want to take down the US. Russia wants “to destroy the US from within” without a single shot. Russia founded communist China about the same year that Israel was stolen from Palestinians. Israel is giving China Us military & China’s goal to replace US as superpower by their 100 year anniversary in 2049.

There are multiple ways they are trying to take US down - this, BLM, media, religion and other contentious attempts to divide - are just some ways.

That said, and that is the social-political perspective. From a spiritual perspective and more personal level - whenever I come across someone who I know has had a hellish life, as many American Blacks have (single moms etc) - I consider my own hellish memories & have compassion. When I can & it feels right, I try to help bear one another’s burdens. Christ, I believe would tell us to make reparations even if we didn’t make the problem, because that’s what he did. And imagine a world where everyone lifted what they could - rather than shift it to someone else? A much better world!

scottja
captain of 100

Post by scottja »

What if I can show that my ancestors on moms side came to this country after the war of Northern aggression. Would I be liable to only pay half? But wait a minute, on my dads side, they were fighting in for the north. So maybe I am owed some reimbursement for freeing all the black slaves.

EvanLM
captain of 1,000

Post by EvanLM »

In return for reparations they need to give back any land or other material advantage that they have - bank accounts, inheritances, etc.

but this is just another tax plunder. The reparations will be taken out of my tax money, given to someone who is to distribute and the blacks will never see it.
planned plunder