Help! What is the very best version of the Apocrypha to read?

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
righteousrepublic
Level 34 Illuminated

Help! What is the very best version of the Apocrypha to read?

Post by righteousrepublic »

Here are so many authors that I don't know which one to choose:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=apocrapha+co ... b_ss_i_3_9

Here is what the church says about the Apocrypha:

Apocrypha

Sacred books of the Jewish people that were not included in the Hebrew Bible but are retained in the Bibles of some Christian churches. These books are often valuable in linking the Old and New Testaments and are regarded in the Church as useful reading.

The Apocrypha are mostly translated correctly but with incorrect interpolations, D&C 91:1–3.

The Apocrypha can benefit those enlightened by the Spirit, D&C 91:4–6.

Doctrine and Covenants 91:1–3
1 Verily, thus saith the Lord unto you concerning the Apocrypha—There are many things contained therein that are true, and it is mostly translated correctly;
2 There are many things contained therein that are not true, which are interpolations by the hands of men.
3 Verily, I say unto you, that it is not needful that the Apocrypha should be translated.
4 Therefore, whoso readeth it, let him understand, for the Spirit manifesteth truth;
5 And whoso is enlightened by the Spirit shall obtain benefit therefrom;
6 And whoso receiveth not by the Spirit, cannot be benefited. Therefore it is not needful that it should be translated. Amen.

So...I'm interested in getting the Apocrypha in its purist form. At Amazon, I see there is a book that also includes Enoch and Jasher.

Which book will get me passed the roadblock in the best possible way?

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Re: Help! What is the very best version of the Apocrypha to read?

Post by Alaris »

So I kept wanting to reply to this with just a link to the Books of Enoch, but I kept hitting a wall spiritually. As I kept pondering why that might be, I considered our recent discussion surrounding the Book of Isaiah and your comments suggesting you hadn't studied Isaiah much - no offense intended, but might I friendily suggest you start there? I mean the Lord hasn't commanded us to read the Apocrypha, but he has commanded us to search diligently the words of Isaiah

3 Nephi 23:1 And now, behold, I say unto you, that ye ought to search these things. Yea, a commandment I give unto you that ye search these things diligently; for great are the words of Isaiah.

Love or hate Gileadi, he has great tools to study Isaiah. You can leave his commentary alone, but his comparative translation is very useful to derive original meaning. He used the Isaiah scroll for his translation. The Isaiah scroll is one of the most intact scrolls from the dead sea scrolls, and is by far our earliest manuscript of the Book of Isaiah. Take Isaiah 9:6 for example. "Mighty God" is translated from two words "El Gibbor" in the manuscript used for the KJV. The much older Isaiah scroll has them combined into one word "Elgibbor" which indicates a name rather than just a descriptor.

http://isaiahexplained.com

To compare editions, click on a chapter and click "comparative translation." I do personally recommend his commentary, though I will suggest reading them with the spirit is as necessary as it is to read the Apocrypha with the spirit.

That all said, there are amazing links from 1 Enoch to the New Testament and to Isaiah. I absolutely believe 1 Enoch is at least founded in scripture whether there be interpolations, I have found many pearls including sacred pearlsy experiences confirmed. I recommend the following book which includes 1 Enoch, 2 Enoch, and 3 Enoch. I haven't delved into 2 Enoch too much yet, but 1 Enoch and 3 Enoch have been truly incredible for me.

https://www.amazon.com/Books-Enoch-Comp ... way&sr=8-6

Hey look it's on sale! There's a great forward that introduces the books, the versions, etc. and even includes a respectful summary on our church's beliefs on Enoch. You can find free versions online, but some of them are hard to read / follow and are various translations.

As for the book of Jasher, I do want to read that eventually but have not as of yet.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

I've found a lot of gems in "The Apocalypse of Abraham." The church actually published this in 1898. Joseph F. Smith was the editor of the New Era at this time, serving as second counselor in the first presidency. Here is an excerpt from the editor's note on their publishing The Apocalypse of Abraham.

In January there appeared in one of the popular daily journals of San Francisco an account of what was called "A Remarkable New Version of the Apocalypse of Abraham," by Professor G. Nathanael Bonwetchs, of the University of Goettingen, Germany; and then followed a partial translation of the same. In some of its passages the writer observed many things of a character both as to incidents and doctrines that ran parallel with what is recorded in the Book of Abraham, given to the world by Joseph Smith in 1836 (?). Especially was this true in relation to the idolatrous character of Abraham's immediate forefathers, his call to depart from them, the future promise of a special inheritance, the fact of his receiving a special revelation from God, making known great things concerning the structure of heavens and the earth, the pre-existence of the spirits of men, and the choice of certain of them to be God's rulers in the earth, Abraham being among them. ~ Note from Editor. Improvement Era, Vol 1 No 10, 1898.

Another Apocryphal book to which Avraham Gileadi supposedly gives credence (so I hear) is The Ascension of Isaiah. In this book, Isaiah ascends through seven heavens. Seven heavens and seven archangels are mentioned all over the apocrypha.

Apocalypse of Abraham:
Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apocalypse_of_Abraham
Full text: http://www.pseudepigrapha.com/pseudepig ... raham.html

Ascension of Isaiah:
Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ascension_of_Isaiah
Full text: http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/t ... nsion.html

Here is an excerpt from the 1898 Improvement Era of The Apocalypse of Abraham. Notice the similarity with Abraham 3. Bear in mind this apocrypha was not accessible to Joseph Smith when he translated The Book of Abraham.

righteousrepublic
Level 34 Illuminated

I'm inquiring about the Apocrypha, not Isaiah. Isaiah is another topic in and of itself. Thanks, anyway.

Which book on Amazon would be the best one, without other men's interpretations thrown therein. I don't want a commentary, I just want the writings as written by the original authors like we do with canon. It's already known that parts of the Apocrypha are not true, so to further the problem with people trying to make the untrue seem true, I'm not interested. I want to be taught by the spirit, not the arm of flesh.

If there are no other posters able to suggest an un-tampered with writing of Apocrypha, I'll ask elsewhere, thank you.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

righteousrepublic wrote: May 30th, 2019, 4:22 pm I'm inquiring about the Apocrypha, not Isaiah. Isaiah is another topic in and of itself. Thanks, anyway.

Which book on Amazon would be the best one, without other men's interpretations thrown therein. I don't want a commentary, I just want the writings as written by the original authors like we do with canon. It's already known that parts of the Apocrypha are not true, so to further the problem with people trying to make the untrue seem true, I'm not interested. I want to be taught by the spirit, not the arm of flesh.

If there are no other posters able to suggest an un-tampered with writing of Apocrypha, I'll ask elsewhere, thank you.
Just trying to help sir. The irony is you often tell me to stick to the scriptures.

The book I linked has an introduction but no commentary in the books themselves - their translation is a widely-used one from 1917. The links to the text of the AoA and AoI also are just text without commentary (or you can google them easy enough.)

I don't believe there is a book called "The Apocrypha" that includes all or most apocryphal books - there are so many of them. Some have only been discovered in modern times. If you or anyone can find a book that includes many of them, I would also be interested. Perhaps folks can chime in here and list out apocryphal books they've found illuminating.

The Life of Adam and Eve is certainly a good read as well.

full text: http://www2.iath.virginia.edu/anderson/ ... a.lat.html

Esdras contains the "Ezra's eagle" prophecy

Esdras 1 full text: https://www.sacred-texts.com/bib/apo/es1.htm

Esdras 2 full text: https://www.sacred-texts.com/bib/apo/es2.htm

Chapters 11 and 12 of that second link contain "Ezra's Eagle" iirc

righteousrepublic
Level 34 Illuminated

Alaris wrote: May 30th, 2019, 4:49 pm
righteousrepublic wrote: May 30th, 2019, 4:22 pm I'm inquiring about the Apocrypha, not Isaiah. Isaiah is another topic in and of itself. Thanks, anyway.

Just trying to help sir. The irony is you often tell me to stick to the scriptures.

The book I linked has an introduction but no commentary in the books themselves - their translation is a widely-used one from 1917. The links to the text of the AoA and AoI also are just text without commentary (or you can google them easy enough.)

I don't believe there is a book called "The Apocrypha" that includes all or most apocryphal books - there are so many of them. Some have only been discovered in modern times. If you or anyone can find a book that includes many of them, I would also be interested. Perhaps folks can chime in here and list out apocryphal books they've found illuminating.

The Life of Adam and Eve is certainly a good read as well.

full text: http://www2.iath.virginia.edu/anderson/ ... a.lat.html

Esdras contains the "Ezra's eagle" prophecy

Esdras 1 full text: https://www.sacred-texts.com/bib/apo/es1.htm

Esdras 2 full text: https://www.sacred-texts.com/bib/apo/es2.htm

Chapters 11 and 12 of that second link contain "Ezra's Eagle" iirc
https://www.amazon.com/Apocrypha-Comple ... 757&sr=8-9

Another one, but pricey is:

And vol II:

At this point I figure the less expensive book is the best one to start with.

The more expensive book has the books of Enoch, Jasher and Jubilees, as well as other writings included.

See: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=apocrapha&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Short answer = the red one.

Long answer = long about 1988 I bought one at Deseret Book.

Sorry, my quick image search of “book of Enoch lds red” didn’t link well.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/456621572/ ... apocryphal

There’s a replica of an 1838 edition. It talked about melting mountains and that a day would come when airplanes no longer fly. Good luck and please share your thoughts, whichever edition you choose.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

RighteousRepublic,
I admire an open search for truth - wherever it’s found!

Some truths I’ve found from “Apocrypha”:
  • “As above, so below, as within, so without, as the universe, so the soul…” -Hermes Trismegistus
  • (DORESSE) Gospel of Thomas 81 [77]. Jesus says: "I am the light which is on them all. I am the All, and the All has gone out from me and the All has come back to me. Cleave the wood: I am there; lift the stone and thou shalt find me there!"
The 2nd quote above reminds me of another source of truth.... DA DA DA DA... STAR WARS. :D Yoda said, “For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you; here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere, yes. Even between the land and the ship.”

Let me know some of your favorites. :)

Check libraries... This one gave several results when I searched Apocrypha.
https://provo.ent.sirsi.net/client/en_U ... crypha&te=

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

So I did some research on this last night at my wife's behest for a Father's day present (fantastic gift idea honey.) I searched on Amazon for quite some time, and it seems no two books contain the same Apocryphal works. There is a "King James Apocrypha" that's pretty consistent but doesn't have that many books.

This is one of the better ones I found with decent reviews:

https://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-Los ... ay&sr=8-14

One book says "The Complete Apocrypha" which is a bit of a red flag because there are so many apocryphal books out there. The book linked above is where I learned of the existence of the "Apocalypse of Thomas" which includes an interesting take on the end times, including a prophesy that a hidden angel who has ruled over all the angels of heaven will be revealed at the end.

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

Maybe you could just buy a Bible which includes the Apocrypha? My interpretation of the D&C passage is that it refers to the actual Apocrypha which are part of canonized Bible for some churches. Of course, it can be likened to the numerous pseudepigraphical books, of which many were not known in Joseph time or place.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

inho wrote: June 11th, 2019, 10:38 am Maybe you could just buy a Bible which includes the Apocrypha? My interpretation of the D&C passage is that it refers to the actual Apocrypha which are part of canonized Bible for some churches. Of course, it can be likened to the numerous pseudepigraphical books, of which many were not known in Joseph time or place.
Agreed on the meaning of the Lord's statement (mostly true / read by spirit / some interpolations) applying to the KJV "apocrypha" included in some versions of the Bible in Joseph SMith's day. The Book of Enoch is not included in the "Apocrypha" to which Joseph Smith at the very least was referring, which makes this statement by the Lord extra cool:

D&C 107:57 These things were all written in the book of Enoch, and are to be testified of in due time.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

Alaris wrote: June 11th, 2019, 10:47 am
inho wrote: June 11th, 2019, 10:38 am Maybe you could just buy a Bible which includes the Apocrypha? My interpretation of the D&C passage is that it refers to the actual Apocrypha which are part of canonized Bible for some churches. Of course, it can be likened to the numerous pseudepigraphical books, of which many were not known in Joseph time or place.
Agreed on the meaning of the Lord's statement (mostly true / read by spirit / some interpolations) applying to the KJV "apocrypha" included in some versions of the Bible in Joseph SMith's day. The Book of Enoch is not included in the "Apocrypha" to which Joseph Smith at the very least was referring, which makes this statement by the Lord extra cool:

D&C 107:57 These things were all written in the book of Enoch, and are to be testified of in due time.
^

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

A lot of you are confusing two different things, the Apocrypha and the Pseudepigrapha. Enoch is part of the latter. I think the Ethiopians (maybe Copts) have it in their canon, but no one else.

The Apocrypha is part of the canon of the Roman Catholic Bible, in addition to the 66 books which Protestants accept. The western RC Apocrypha is available in a King James Version, and others. The eastern one used by the Orthodox includes an extra psalm and 3 & 4 Maccabees + 3 & 4 Esdras.

Neither Enoch nor the Gospel of Thomas form part of the Apocrypha, but are both readily available. They are Pseudepigrapha. If you are after the Pseudepigrapha (as opposed to the Apocrypha) get hold of "Lost Books of the Bible". It has a number of works in it. It is out of copyright so cheap.

The non-canonical books vary in quality a lot. The Apocrypha does, but the books in it tend to be better. The Pseudepigrapha varies between well written and spiritual content, to books written to justify Marian doctrine etc. Some are Gnostic etc so do not fit well with the Bible. Some have been kept out for good reason, some less so.

abijah
pleb in zion

Post by abijah »

Niemand wrote: September 14th, 2022, 2:31 pmSome are Gnostic etc so do not fit well with the Bible. Some have been kept out for good reason, some less so.
yeah, gnostics were/are heretics with an utterly disincarnated cosmology, a real self-own. personally im loathe to lump-together spurious texts written by heresytards in the same boat with more reputable stuff like the books of enoch, or ezra or juiblees etc etc, books with actual literary connections with the canonical scriptures, or are even quoted in them. like book of enoch for example, if i remember correctly there are like 40+ references to it in the new testament.

MikeMaillet
captain of 1,000

Post by MikeMaillet »

I would not be too quick to dismiss Alaris' suggestion to start with Isaiah. The Apocrypha and other texts opened up to me only after I began understanding the method of prophesying amongst the Jews and this is where Gileadi becomes indispensable. A deeper understanding of Isaiah will serve as a key that unlocks the true purpose and meaning of Apocryphal texts as well as other canonized scriptures, especially the Book of Mormon.

You state that you want to be taught by the Spirit and then ask men for opinions. I suggest that you read all Apocryphal texts (and others such as Enoch and the Ascension of Isaiah) and let the Spirit be your guide. As for those who state that there are errors in some of these texts, there are also errors in the canon. The Doctrine & Covenants is a good example of this.

As for commentaries, I usually don't read them unless I've spent a lot of time studying a particular topic and have formed a strong opinion. Like you, I want to be taught by the Spirit.

One must be immersed in water before one can learn how to swim. If you dive in and approach with an open heart and mind, desiring to know truth, you will not be disappointed.

Best of luck and may God bless you in your search for divine truths.

Mike Maillet
Ingleside, Ontario

Brighidara
captain of 50

Post by Brighidara »

This one actually just got delivered to me yesterday:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/19544190 ... asin_title

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

Alaris wrote: May 30th, 2019, 2:32 pm So I kept wanting to reply to this with just a link to the Books of Enoch, but I kept hitting a wall spiritually. As I kept pondering why that might be, I considered our recent discussion surrounding the Book of Isaiah and your comments suggesting you hadn't studied Isaiah much - no offense intended, but might I friendily suggest you start there? I mean the Lord hasn't commanded us to read the Apocrypha, but he has commanded us to search diligently the words of Isaiah

3 Nephi 23:1 And now, behold, I say unto you, that ye ought to search these things. Yea, a commandment I give unto you that ye search these things diligently; for great are the words of Isaiah.

Love or hate Gileadi, he has great tools to study Isaiah. You can leave his commentary alone, but his comparative translation is very useful to derive original meaning. He used the Isaiah scroll for his translation. The Isaiah scroll is one of the most intact scrolls from the dead sea scrolls, and is by far our earliest manuscript of the Book of Isaiah. Take Isaiah 9:6 for example. "Mighty God" is translated from two words "El Gibbor" in the manuscript used for the KJV. The much older Isaiah scroll has them combined into one word "Elgibbor" which indicates a name rather than just a descriptor.

http://isaiahexplained.com

To compare editions, click on a chapter and click "comparative translation." I do personally recommend his commentary, though I will suggest reading them with the spirit is as necessary as it is to read the Apocrypha with the spirit.

That all said, there are amazing links from 1 Enoch to the New Testament and to Isaiah. I absolutely believe 1 Enoch is at least founded in scripture whether there be interpolations, I have found many pearls including sacred pearlsy experiences confirmed. I recommend the following book which includes 1 Enoch, 2 Enoch, and 3 Enoch. I haven't delved into 2 Enoch too much yet, but 1 Enoch and 3 Enoch have been truly incredible for me.

https://www.amazon.com/Books-Enoch-Comp ... way&sr=8-6

Hey look it's on sale! There's a great forward that introduces the books, the versions, etc. and even includes a respectful summary on our church's beliefs on Enoch. You can find free versions online, but some of them are hard to read / follow and are various translations.

As for the book of Jasher, I do want to read that eventually but have not as of yet.
Can you believe how smart I was before the stroke? Dang. Hopefully, some day. 😬

The Spirit says, soon. 😊

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

I started a few threads on books of the Apocrypha and Pseudepigrapha a while back, but they didn't get much of a response. I was thinking of returning to the idea.

I probably won't include Enoch because I think the book gets a good airing on here (including this thread)

Here are a few I posted on:
"Tobit & the Book of Mormon + NT"
I compare the Book of Tobit with some Book of Mormon verses. The BoM opening sounds a bit like this verse:
I, Tobit have walked all the days of my life in the ways of truth and justice, and I did many almsdeeds to my brethren, and my nation, who came with me to Nineveh, into the land of the Assyrians.
viewtopic.php?p=1203987

"Epistle to Laodiceans, BoM & NT etc"
Laodiceans appears in the Wycliffe Bible in the New Testament, but not in subsequent Bibles. It is often overlooked. Again I compare it to the Restored Gospel.
viewtopic.php?t=64025&p=1208281

"The lost Psalm 151 & Book of Mormon"
Psalm 151 is to be found in Eastern Orthodox Bibles but not in Roman Catholic or Protestant ones. Some people thinj it is made up of two lost psalms.
viewtopic.php?t=63875

Itsmerich's thread on the Book of Jasher.
viewtopic.php?t=67210

Mike Maillet's thread on the Book of Enoch
viewtopic.php?t=66600

Emily's thread on the Apocrypha
viewtopic.php?p=1147464#p1147464

Long discussion on the eagle prophecy from 2 Esdras
viewtopic.php?t=45489

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

Discourse of Abbaton

viewtopic.php?t=53432&start=25

Apocalypse of Abraham / Ascension of Isaiah

viewtopic.php?t=48060&start=510

viewtopic.php?t=51791

3rd Enoch (Metatron = The Holy Ghost)

viewtopic.php?t=50868

You can serve yourself on the left side:

https://lordoftheseraphim.blogspot.com

davedan
captain of 1,000

Post by davedan »

Early Church Fathers
https://www.earlychristianwritings.com/ ... thers.html

Clement of Rome
Ignatius of Antioch
Polycarp of Smyrna

Justin Martyr
Epistle of Barnabas

zionssuburb
captain of 100

Post by zionssuburb »

The Old Testament Pseudepigrapha ( 2 Volume set) (James H. Charlesworth)
https://www.amazon.com/Old-Testament-Ps ... 598564897/

Nag Hammadi Library
https://www.amazon.com/Nag-Hammadi-Libr ... 060669357/

abijah
pleb in zion

Post by abijah »

davedan wrote: September 22nd, 2022, 1:38 am Early Church Fathers
https://www.earlychristianwritings.com/ ... thers.html

Clement of Rome
Ignatius of Antioch
Polycarp of Smyrna

Justin Martyr
Epistle of Barnabas
ive felt prompted lately to read and investigate the early church fathers. are these your personal favourites, or good places to start?

gruden2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by gruden2.0 »

The Book of Enoch and the Book of Jasher.

gruden2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by gruden2.0 »

Brighidara wrote: September 15th, 2022, 6:09 am This one actually just got delivered to me yesterday:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/19544190 ... asin_title
That looks like a good combo. There's a few others as well.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

As I've stated elsewhere a lot of the books above being listed as Apocrypha are actually Pseudepigrapha which is slightly different.

I've added a few more threads on the Apocrypha recently. Here are two of the additions to Daniel:
* Bel and the Dragon
viewtopic.php?t=69261

* Prayer of Azarias (Azariah) and Hymn of the Three Children
viewtopic.php?p=1341609

Also the Prayer of Mannases (Manasseh), apparently a book in its own right.
viewtopic.php?t=69263