Help! What is the very best version of the Apocrypha to read?

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Help! What is the very best version of the Apocrypha to read?

Post by Robin Hood »

The KJV version.
Despite the various claims of Bible version publishers (it's a money business), the Textus Receptus is the most reliable text from which the English Bible, including the Apocrypha, is translated.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Robin Hood wrote: January 17th, 2023, 6:18 am The KJV version.
Despite the various claims of Bible version publishers (it's a money business), the Textus Receptus is the most reliable text from which the English Bible, including the Apocrypha, is translated.
Agreed, but this will only give you the western apocrypha. I've been writing on Apocryphal books and quote the KJV where possible. It makes connections with the rest of the KJV Bible more obvious

There are several more Orthodox books and the Ethiopian canon is quirky.

NationDeseret
captain of 10

Post by NationDeseret »

righteousrepublic wrote: May 30th, 2019, 1:48 pm Here are so many authors that I don't know which one to choose:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=apocrapha+co ... b_ss_i_3_9

Here is what the church says about the Apocrypha:

Apocrypha

Sacred books of the Jewish people that were not included in the Hebrew Bible but are retained in the Bibles of some Christian churches. These books are often valuable in linking the Old and New Testaments and are regarded in the Church as useful reading.

The Apocrypha are mostly translated correctly but with incorrect interpolations, D&C 91:1–3.

The Apocrypha can benefit those enlightened by the Spirit, D&C 91:4–6.

Doctrine and Covenants 91:1–3
1 Verily, thus saith the Lord unto you concerning the Apocrypha—There are many things contained therein that are true, and it is mostly translated correctly;
2 There are many things contained therein that are not true, which are interpolations by the hands of men.
3 Verily, I say unto you, that it is not needful that the Apocrypha should be translated.
4 Therefore, whoso readeth it, let him understand, for the Spirit manifesteth truth;
5 And whoso is enlightened by the Spirit shall obtain benefit therefrom;
6 And whoso receiveth not by the Spirit, cannot be benefited. Therefore it is not needful that it should be translated. Amen.

So...I'm interested in getting the Apocrypha in its purist form. At Amazon, I see there is a book that also includes Enoch and Jasher.

Which book will get me passed the roadblock in the best possible way?
Jasher is just a midrash. The Dead Sea Scrolls contain the best apocrypha and are the greatest Book of Mormon evidence. They’re very fragmented though so I don’t recommend getting an English copy like I have. The only apocrypha I recommend are the patriarchal testaments as the Bible quotes them. But if you want more than just their testaments purchase this instead: https://amazon.com/Complete-54-Book-Apo ... 107&sr=8-1

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

NationDeseret wrote: January 20th, 2023, 3:46 pm [The only apocrypha I recommend are the patriarchal testaments as the Bible quotes them. But if you want more than just their testaments purchase this instead: https://amazon.com/Complete-54-Book-Apo ... 107&sr=8-1
The patriarchal testaments are Pseudepigrapha not Apocrypha, a subtle distinction but an important one. That said I've read them as they're not bad as I recall. A while back.

NationDeseret
captain of 10

Post by NationDeseret »

Niemand wrote: January 20th, 2023, 7:01 pm
NationDeseret wrote: January 20th, 2023, 3:46 pm [The only apocrypha I recommend are the patriarchal testaments as the Bible quotes them. But if you want more than just their testaments purchase this instead: https://amazon.com/Complete-54-Book-Apo ... 107&sr=8-1
The patriarchal testaments are Pseudepigrapha not Apocrypha, a subtle distinction but an important one. That said I've read them as they're not bad as I recall. A while back.
If you believe they’re not written by their supposed authors as Paul the Apostle and early Christians wouldn’t have you believe. Romans 12:19

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

NationDeseret wrote: January 20th, 2023, 10:09 pm
Niemand wrote: January 20th, 2023, 7:01 pm
If you believe they’re not written by their supposed authors as Paul the Apostle and early Christians wouldn’t have you believe. Romans 12:19
It is irrelevant what I believe. The Apocrypha tend to be books that some churches hold to be canon or deuterocanonical e.g. Tobit or Psalm 151. There are plenty of works that don't fit into that category like the Gospel of Thomas, and that's Pseudepigrapha.

Even the LDS Bible dictionary conflates the two, which is annoying.

Personally I've found the Testaments enjoyable to read, but it's been a while. I felt like many (or some) of them have the same author.

Sorry this message comes off as way more blunt than I'd intended.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

This is the complete list of posts I've done on the Apocrypha as found in the West (RC Bibles, KJV (extended), Luther, Wycliffe), and Eastern Orthodox Churches. I haven't got the Oriental Orthodox canon down yet – the Copts, Ethiopians, Armenians etc have a few books that I haven't dealt with yet e.g. Enoch, Jubilees etc. Also some Jewish books such as the Zohar, and Talmudic traditions etc, the Koran etc which may be said to be vaguely connected to the Bible.

This is different of course from the numerous other books out there which don't feature in any Christian canon like the Apocalypse of Abraham. I'm not referring to them as Apocrypha to avoid confusion.

The posts below have audiobook links. I have given preference to the KJV translation where available. (Those in the KJV Apocrypha are asterisked.) The posts I recommend reading are in bold.

* 1 Esdras
viewtopic.php?p=1343974

* 2 Esdras (the most relevant book in the Apocrypha?) inc. audiobook link. Especially recommended, best prophetic book in the Apocrypha.
viewtopic.php?p=1344302

* 1 Maccabees – best of the Apocryphal history books
viewtopic.php?t=69454

* 2 Maccabees – some curious theological points.
viewtopic.php?t=69468

3 Maccabees
viewtopic.php?t=69496

4 Maccabees
viewtopic.php?t=69515

* Book of Baruch and the * Epistle of Jeremy/Jeremiah
viewtopic.php?t=69433

* Book of Tobit – a good story plus some interesting theological points.
viewtopic.php?p=1341501

* Apocryphal additions to Esther
viewtopic.php?p=1343414

* Bel and the Dragon – three good stories with deeper meanings?
viewtopic.php?t=69261

* Prayer of Azarias (or Azariah) and Hymn of the Three Children
viewtopic.php?p=1341611

* Book of Judith – includes discussion of similarities to the Book of Mormon
viewtopic.php?t=69402

* Book of Susanna
viewtopic.php?t=69386

* Wisdom of Solomon –at least one point of contact with Mormonism, connections with New Testament
viewtopic.php?t=69469

* Book of Sirach or Ecclesiasticus – possibly quoted in New Testament
viewtopic.php?t=69412

* Prayer of Mannases (aka Mannaseh)
viewtopic.php?t=69263

Psalm 151
viewtopic.php?t=63875

Epistle to the Laodiceans (NT, appeared in Wycliffe's Bible)
viewtopic.php?t=64025

The Book of Odes – this is an Eastern Orthodox work of limited interest, but I included for the sake of completeness.
viewtopic.php?t=69470

And outside the Western and Eastern Orthodox Canon...

The Ethiopian canon. This includes brief info on the books of Sinodos, Ethiopian Clement, Ethiopian Covenant, and Didascalia as well as a list of other works in the canon.
viewtopic.php?t=69540

The Book of Enoch, NT, POGP & D&C
viewtopic.php?69577

Book of Jubilees aka the Little Genesis or Leptogenesis - Cain, Moses, Enoch, Nephilim
viewtopic.php?t=69548

3 Corinthians, another NT Pauline Epistle which has appeared in some Syriac and Armenian Bibles into modern times. Full text quoted in post.
viewtopic.php?t=69567

And also
Antilegomena: the books which barely made it into the Bible - Revelation, the Song of Solomon, Jude, Esther etc.
viewtopic.php?t=69609

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Some new material, mostly on the New Testament Apocrypha.

Is Q canonical? How about the Gospel of Thomas? The answer's more complicated than you think.
viewtopic.php?p=1353810

Gospel of Nicodemus, aka Acts of Pilate – as tested on Mennonites
viewtopic.php?t=69760

The Shepherd of Hermas - inspired literature or pagan trash? (NT)
viewtopic.php?t=69650

The Epistle of Barnabas (NT Apocrypha) - link between OT and NT, or not?
viewtopic.php?t=69679

The Didache or Teachings of the Apostles (NT)
viewtopic.php?t=69698

Enoch
captain of 100

Post by Enoch »

Thinker wrote: May 31st, 2019, 9:01 am RighteousRepublic,
I admire an open search for truth - wherever it’s found!

Some truths I’ve found from “Apocrypha”:
  • “As above, so below, as within, so without, as the universe, so the soul…” -Hermes Trismegistus
  • (DORESSE) Gospel of Thomas 81 [77]. Jesus says: "I am the light which is on them all. I am the All, and the All has gone out from me and the All has come back to me. Cleave the wood: I am there; lift the stone and thou shalt find me there!"
The 2nd quote above reminds me of another source of truth.... DA DA DA DA... STAR WARS. :D Yoda said, “For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you; here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere, yes. Even between the land and the ship.”

Let me know some of your favorites. :)

Check libraries... This one gave several results when I searched Apocrypha.
https://provo.ent.sirsi.net/client/en_U ... crypha&te=
Wow that was great - love how Yoda put it! I believe in the All-Father the God of Gods, he who made the Elohim

I think these scriptures describe that God
John 1:18
No one has seen God at any time; the only begotten God who is in the bosom of the Father, He has explained Him.

Acts 17
24 The God who made the world and everything that is in it, since He is Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in temples made by hands; 25 nor is He served by human hands, as though He needed anything, since He Himself gives to all people life and breath and all things; 26 and He made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined their appointed times and the boundaries of their habitation, 27 that they would seek God, if perhaps they might feel around for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us;
28 for in Him we live and move and exist,

as even some of your own poets have said, ‘For we also are His descendants.’

Colossians 1
15 The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation.
16 For in Him all things were created, things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities. All things were created through Him and for Him.
17 He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together.

1 Timothy 6
13 I charge you in the presence of God, who gives life to all things, and of Christ Jesus,
15 which the blessed and only Sovereign One—the King of kings and Lord of lords—will bring about in His own time.
16 who alone possesses immortality and dwells in unapproachable light, whom no man has seen or can see. To Him be honor and eternal dominion! Amen.

Job 9:11
“Were He to pass by me, I would not see Him;
Were He to move past me, I would not perceive Him.

Job 23:8
“Behold, I go forward but He is not there,
And backward, but I cannot perceive Him;

John 5:37
And the Father who sent Me, He has testified of Me. You have neither heard His voice at any time nor seen His form.

1 Timothy 1:17
Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Enoch wrote: February 17th, 2023, 8:51 am Wow that was great - love how Yoda put it! I believe in the All-Father the God of Gods, he who made the Elohim

I think these scriptures describe that God
John 1:18
No one has seen God at any time; the only begotten God who is in the bosom of the Father, He has explained Him…
Good scriptures! That scripture above kinda makes you wonder about the 1st vision.

God is the big mystery, but I try to orient my life & worship God by defining God as Intelligent Design, “The kingdom of God within” & “God is love” - how we love others as ourselves.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

I've put the ones I think are more interesting in bold.
1 Meqabyan (Ethiopian canon), another lost book?
viewtopic.php?t=69855

2 Meqabyan (Ethiopian canon), - the return of Tsirutsaydan
viewtopic.php?t=69971

3 Meqabyan (Ethiopian canon): a question of Satan... another lost book
viewtopic.php?p=1367649

Four Apocryphal Psalms - 152, 153, 154, 155
viewtopic.php?t=69985

1 Clement: Papist propaganda or a window into the early church?
viewtopic.php?p=1368842

2 Clement – inclement Gnosticism?
viewtopic.php?t=70327

Other related topics
My thread about the Koran, and its use of figures from the Bible, the Apocrypha and extracanonical material. How useful a source is the Koran itself? Does it have any real extra information on Biblical figures? This is something of work in progress.
viewtopic.php?t=70169

The LDS Bible Dictionary on Lost Books and non-canonical works referred to in the Bible.
viewtopic.php?t=69805

The Samaritans, their canon and its significance
viewtopic.php?t=69905

Was Zoroaster/Zarathustra a lost prophet of God? Some surprising links between this largely forgotten figure and Judaism, plus the Gathas etc.
viewtopic.php?t=65938

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Another one of my apocrypha posts in which I deal with a number of works. This one is on the Restored Branch, an English LDS microsect and its canon which includes works such as the Nag Hammadi and Gnostic texts: these are the Gospel of Peter, the Gospel of Mary, the Gospel of Thomas, the Gospel of Phillip, the Gospel of Truth (sic), the Letter of the Apostle Paul, the Sophia (Wisdom) of Jesus the Christ, the Acts of Peter and the Twelve Apostles and the Letter of Peter which he sent to Philip.
viewtopic.php?t=70413

The one that sticks out to me from this group (other than Thomas) is the Acts of Peter and the Twelve Apostles. The rest are of varying value and some are fragmentary.
abijah wrote: September 22nd, 2022, 10:36 pm
davedan wrote: September 22nd, 2022, 1:38 am Early Church Fathers
https://www.earlychristianwritings.com/ ... thers.html

Clement of Rome
Ignatius of Antioch
Polycarp of Smyrna

Justin Martyr
Epistle of Barnabas
ive felt prompted lately to read and investigate the early church fathers. are these your personal favourites, or good places to start?
I posted on 1 & 2 Clement recently. The consensus seems to be that they have two different authors, with many people saying Clement wrote the first but not the second.

1 Clement
viewtopic.php?p=1368842

2 Clement
viewtopic.php?t=70327
Attachments
pearl_of_great_price.jpg
pearl_of_great_price.jpg (44.41 KiB) Viewed 269 times

Lynn
captain of 100

Post by Lynn »

My suggestion is listed here, as to Apocryphal sources:

'The Apocryphal Old Testament' -edited by H.F.D. Sparks (Oxford 1984 HB/ 1987 PB reprint)
The HB was at the TAMU (Texas A&M University) library here. I ordered the PB used copy thru either ABEbooks.com or Alibris.com for $25.00 + 4.50 S/H & tax

As to the Book of Jasher, I have two copies. One is a xerox research copy of The Rosicrucian's (AMORC) copy translated from Hebrew by Alcuin (if not mistaken, about 1721 from Alcuin having to copy it by hand). It is a 1934 phot replica reprint. It is 94 pp, but also has extensive notes & quotes from ancient Jewish texts in the rear of the book.

The other copy (Book of Jasher) is not beside or behind me at the moment, but it is plastic combed binding and is noted as translated from Hebrew in the 1800s. It is a larger volume than Alcuin, so I am thinking Alcuin's was a concise copy.

There is also a copy of 'The Pseudipigraphical Old Testament', vol.1 1983 HB edited by James H. Charlesworth & I think Vol.2 also.

There is also 'The Apocryphal New Testament' Oxford HB 1924 which I did not get to study much back in 1993.

CaptainM
captain of 100

Post by CaptainM »

Not sure this helps or hurts, but he one I will probably acquire is:

The 120-Book Holy Bible and Apocrypha Collection: Literal Standard Version (LSV) Kindle Edition on Amazon.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

JRM wrote: April 5th, 2023, 1:09 am Not sure this helps or hurts, but he one I will probably acquire is:

The 120-Book Holy Bible and Apocrypha Collection: Literal Standard Version (LSV) Kindle Edition on Amazon.
A pretty good collection. The ones in bold are the Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox books. Those in italics are Eastern Orthodox. Underlined are the ones used in other churches such as the Ethiopian and Armenian churches. I've srticles on all of those (see links above), and I've also starred a remaining ones that I've also written on.

"This collection includes all 66 books of the Holy Bible, as well as Tobit, Judith, Wisdom, Sirach, 1 Baruch, 2 Baruch, 3 Baruch, 4 Baruch, 1 Maccabees, 2 Maccabees, , Apocryphal Esther, Apocryphal Psalms, Apocryphal Daniel (including Azariah, Susanna, and Bel and the Dragon), 1 Esdras, 2 Esdras, Prayer of Manasseh, Testaments of the Twelve Patriarchs, Jubilees, 1 Enoch, 2 Enoch, 3 Enoch, Book of Giants (from the DSS), Jasher, Life of Adam and Eve, Book of Creation, Testament of Abraham, Testament of Isaac, Testament of Jacob, Ladder of Jacob, Joseph and Asenath, Testament of Job, Testament of Moses, Testament of Solomon, Psalms of Solomon, Lives of the Prophets, Words of Gad the Seer, Ascension of Isaiah, Revelation of Abraham, Revelation of Elijah, Revelation of Zephaniah, Apocryphon of Ezekiel, Epistle of Aristeas, *Didache, Revelation of Peter, *Epistle of Barnabas, 3 Corinthians, *1 Clement, *2 Clement, Seven Epistles of Ignatius, Epistle of Polycarp to the Philippians, Martyrdom of Polycarp, Epistle of Mathetes to Diognetus, *The Shepherd of Hermas, Odes of Peace, Apology of Aristides, and additional apocryphal fragments."

Although there are quite a few in that list i haven't dealt with, I also notice that it doesn't include a few I have written on:
* 1 Meqabyan, 2 Meqabyan and 3 Meqabyan which are in the Ethiopian canon. They need a decent translation.
* the Gospel of Nicodemus, which is sometimes used by Mennonites
* Gnostic works such as Thomas.
* The Acts of Peter and the Twelve Apostles (I really enjoyed this one.)
* Laodiceans which appears in the Wycliffe Bible and Vulgate
* The Book of Odes (Eastern Orthodox)

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

The Two Apocalypses of Peter: Guides to the universe or sadism? The ancient Apocalypse of Peter and the Arabic Apocalypse of Peter.
viewtopic.php?t=70682

Kirtland RM's thread on the gnostic books Pistis Sophia and Book of Jeu
viewtopic.php?t=70659

Kirtland RM's on the Pistis Sophia and Book of Mormon
viewtopic.php?t=52956

Kirtland RM on the Forty Day Teachings of Christ in the Books of Jeu and the Pistis Sophia: A Gnostic Endowment
viewtopic.php?p=1378097

My thread on a bizarre Middle Eastern sect and their beliefs. Are the Yezidis of the Middle East an ancient Satanist group or a lost Jewish tribe? And what is the connection between their religion and today's rainbow flag? Is this strange group simply misunderstood?
viewtopic.php?t=70625

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

The First and Second Books of Adam and Eve (the Conflict with Satan)
viewtopic.php?t=70846

Original Intent's thread on the Pistis Sophia
viewtopic.php?f=14&p=1385139

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Pazooka discussing some implications from these Nag Hammadi books here. Gentiles, Jews, Christians
viewtopic.php?p=1393187

Underrated Bible stories #3: Habakkuk's Hair-raising Experience (from Bel & the Dragon in the KJV Apocrypha)
viewtopic.php?t=69509

Celtic legends about the Bible, including the visits of Biblical figures to western Europe, the Michael Line, Holy Grail/Arthurian legend, and Pontius Pilate. Discusses the Lost Chapter of the Acts of the Apostles (the Sonnini Manuscript), Magna Tabula Glastonia, writings of Nicephorus, Leabhar Gabhala/Lebor Gabála Érenn (Book of Settlements), the Mabinogion etc.
viewtopic.php?t=71061

The Testaments of the Twelve Patriarchs: are these lost books of the founders of each Tribe of Israel or a later forgery?
viewtopic.php?t=71314

Luke's thread on the Testament of Levi (one of the Testaments of the Twelve Patriarchs) and how it relates to the LDS and its apostasy.
viewtopic.php?t=61166

The Book of the Cock – an unfortunately named Ethiopian gospel still in current use.
viewtopic.php?t=71338

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Niemand wrote: June 17th, 2023, 3:07 am Pazooka discussing some implications from these Nag Hammadi books here. Gentiles, Jews, Christians
viewtopic.php?p=1393187

Underrated Bible stories #3: Habakkuk's Hair-raising Experience (from Bel & the Dragon in the KJV Apocrypha)
viewtopic.php?t=69509

Celtic legends about the Bible, including the visits of Biblical figures to western Europe, the Michael Line, Holy Grail/Arthurian legend, and Pontius Pilate. Discusses the Lost Chapter of the Acts of the Apostles (the Sonnini Manuscript), Magna Tabula Glastonia, writings of Nicephorus, Leabhar Gabhala/Lebor Gabála Érenn (Book of Settlements), the Mabinogion etc.
viewtopic.php?t=71061

The Testaments of the Twelve Patriarchs: are these lost books of the founders of each Tribe of Israel or a later forgery?
viewtopic.php?t=71314

Luke's thread on the Testament of Levi (one of the Testaments of the Twelve Patriarchs) and how it relates to the LDS and its apostasy.
viewtopic.php?t=61166

The Book of the Cock – an unfortunately named Ethiopian gospel still in current use.
viewtopic.php?t=71338
I have added some content on the Kolbrin Book and the Gospel of Kailedy to the Celtic legends thread above, which appear to be modern forgeries. These doesn't fit in well elsewhere.

The Book of Gad the Seer mentioned above may have been preserved by a small group of Jews in India. Moreover, some of its content is stunning including references to a sacrificed lamb who is sent by God and the future tribulation.
viewtopic.php?t=71421
Niemand wrote: April 5th, 2023, 3:38 am
JRM wrote: April 5th, 2023, 1:09 am Not sure this helps or hurts, but he one I will probably acquire is:

A pretty good collection. The ones in bold are the Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox books. Those in italics are Eastern Orthodox. Underlined are the ones used in other churches such as the Ethiopian and Armenian churches. I've srticles on all of those (see links above), and I've also starred a remaining ones that I've also written on.

"This collection includes all 66 books of the Holy Bible, as well as Tobit, Judith, Wisdom, Sirach, 1 Baruch, 2 Baruch, 3 Baruch, 4 Baruch, 1 Maccabees, 2 Maccabees, , Apocryphal Esther, Apocryphal Psalms, Apocryphal Daniel (including Azariah, Susanna, and Bel and the Dragon), 1 Esdras, 2 Esdras, Prayer of Manasseh, Testaments of the Twelve Patriarchs, Jubilees, 1 Enoch, 2 Enoch, 3 Enoch, Book of Giants (from the DSS), Jasher, Life of Adam and Eve, Book of Creation, Testament of Abraham, Testament of Isaac, Testament of Jacob, Ladder of Jacob, Joseph and Asenath, Testament of Job, Testament of Moses, Testament of Solomon, Psalms of Solomon, Lives of the Prophets, Words of Gad the Seer, Ascension of Isaiah, Revelation of Abraham, Revelation of Elijah, Revelation of Zephaniah, Apocryphon of Ezekiel, Epistle of Aristeas, *Didache, Revelation of Peter, *Epistle of Barnabas, 3 Corinthians, *1 Clement, *2 Clement, Seven Epistles of Ignatius, Epistle of Polycarp to the Philippians, Martyrdom of Polycarp, Epistle of Mathetes to Diognetus, *The Shepherd of Hermas, Odes of Peace, Apology of Aristides, and additional apocryphal fragments."

Although there are quite a few in that list i haven't dealt with, I also notice that it doesn't include a few I have written on:
* 1 Meqabyan, 2 Meqabyan and 3 Meqabyan which are in the Ethiopian canon. They need a decent translation.
* the Gospel of Nicodemus, which is sometimes used by Mennonites
* Gnostic works such as Thomas.
* The Acts of Peter and the Twelve Apostles (I really enjoyed this one.)
* Laodiceans which appears in the Wycliffe Bible and Vulgate
* The Book of Odes (Eastern Orthodox)
Since the last reply, I've added from the following from the mainlist above: Testaments of the Twelve Patriarchs, the Words of Gad the Seer, Life of Adam and Eve, & the Revelation of Peter.

Also the following not on that list:
* Book of the Cock/(Marshafa Dorho) (an Ethiopian gospel)
* Kolbrin "Bible" and Kailedy "Gospel" (probable modern forgeries)
* Lost Chapter of the Acts of the Apostles (the Sonnini Manuscript)

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Here is another one from the list above.

The Epistle of Polycarp to the Philippians, an early endorsement of Paul or a forgery?
viewtopic.php?p=1400884

I will be adding content about William Comyns Beaumont to the Celtic Legends thread.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

The Ascension of Isaiah, visions of Christ and Antichrist
viewtopic.php?t=71598

The Epistle of Mathetes to Diognetus - a beautiful short epistle about the relations of Christians and non-Christians, and the Tree of Knowledge
viewtopic.php?p=1404032

End Times Prophecy in Apocrypha/Pseudepigrapha: A guide
Includes discussions of 2 Esdras, (1) Enoch, Gospel of Nicodemus, Ascension of Isaiah, Gad the Seer and the Shepherd of Hermas
viewtopic.php?t=71659
Attachments
Manofsorrows.jpg
Manofsorrows.jpg (155.66 KiB) Viewed 155 times

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

I have been taking a hiatus from writing about these works. I intend to come back to them, but there are so many of them! Many thanks to people who suggested some. I may combine some of them in single threads.

Just a note to myself to remind me some of the books I intend to work on. (Based partly on the list above and a list I made elsewhere.) Constructive comments welcome.

Will I get through all of these? Who knows?

* Several books going by the name Jasher.
* Cave of Treasures - a source for the Koran.
* Kebra Nagast - the Ethiopian book of Biblical legends, including their royal family's relation to Solomon etc.
* Ancient fringe sects: Druze, Mandaeans, Cathars, Bogomils
* Māori prophets
* Native American prophecy (a minefield!)
* Leviathan, Behemoth and Shiz including Native American folklore.
* Esdras/Ezra books: Apocalypse/Revelation of Ezra (two works), Questions of Ezra, Vision of Ezra
* Baruch sequels: 2 Baruch, 3 Baruch, 4 Baruch
* Enoch sequels: 2 Enoch, 3 Enoch
* "Testaments": Testaments of the Three Patriarchs (Abraham, Isaac, Jacob), Testament of Job, Testament of Moses, Testament of Solomon, Testament of Adam, Jannes and Jambres, Story of Melchizedek, Story of Ahikar, Prayer of Jpseph
* "Revelations"/Apocalypses: Revelation of Abraham, Revelation of Elijah, Revelation of Zephaniah, Apocryphon of Ezekiel, Apocalypse of Daniel, Apocalypse of Adam, Apocalypse of Elijah, Treatise of Shem, Apocalypse of Sedrach, Coptic Apocalypse of Paul, Pseudo-Methodius, Stephen, James (x3),
* Epistles: lots more including Epistle of Aristeas, Seven Epistles of Ignatius, Epstle to Seneca the Younger, Herod to Pilate, Pilate to Herod
* Infancy Gospels: James, Infancy Gospel of Thomas, Life of John the Baptist, Pseudo-Matthew, History of Joseph the Carpenter, Syriac Infancy Gospel
* Jewish–Christian gospels: Ebionites, Hebrews, Nazarenes
* Acts: Andrew, Barnabas, John, Martyrs, Paul, Paul and Thecla, Peter, Peter and Andrew, Peter and Paul, Phillip, Pilate, Thomas, Timothy, Acts of Xanthippe, Polyxena, and Rebecca.
* Marian books, Marian gospels, Marian prophecies
* Misc: Book of Giants (from the DSS), Book of Creation, Ladder of Jacob, Joseph and Asenath, Psalms of Solomon, Lives of the Prophets, Odes of Peace, Apology of Aristides, Sibylline Oracles, Thunder Perfect Mind, Book of the Bee, Prayer of Paul, Liturgy of St James, Canons of the Apostles, Sentences of Sextus, Gospel of the Saviour, Gospel of Judas
* New Age "Bibles" such as the Oahspe and Urantia book. (I have already partly covered the Kolbrin book)
* Works by modern women: Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures (Mary Baker Eddy, Christian Science), The Great Controversy (Ellen White; 7DA), The Celestine Prophecy
* Book of Jachanan Ben Kathryn (courtesy of logonbump) and a couple of other works which have been suggested by other members (if I can remember them!)
* Muslim Hadiths: The Muslim equivalent of the Talmud.

My list from elsewhere:
* Various epistles left out of the NT. (There are many of these but I find them very dry.)
* The Borborites (yuck!)
* The Zohar (I don't want to do the Talmud because of various reasons – length and also that it will inevitably devolve into a discussion of its anti-Christian and anti-Gentile content... although that said, the one on the Koran has stayed on track.)
* The Mandaeans
* The Druze (hard to find information. I've met a few members of this group.)
* The Strangites and their canon.
* So called "gnostic" LDS groups' canon. Some have gone down Borborite type alleyways.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Latest Apocrypha
At least a dozen separate works are claimed to be the Book of Jasher, but did it ever exist in the first place?
viewtopic.php?p=1438746

New Age Bibles: Urantia, Oahspe, Kolbrin, Oera Linda, Crowley's Book of the Law, a Course in Miracles etc. These works, usually channelled, provide a very different take on spirituality yet are strangely similar to one another. How should we approach these new works and are they just demonic?
viewtopic.php?p=1433133

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Yet another to add to the to-do list : the Alphabet of Ben Sira.

Latest Apocrypha
Joseph and Asenath: a sweet tale of conversion
viewtopic.php?t=73595

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Larsenb has also suggested the Valediction of Moses in the Enoch thread Another for the list.