Someone on LDSFF who has made a difference in my life ....

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

Here are the rules of this thread. Complete this sentence and explain:

This is similar to the idea of a circle of love where folks sit in a circle and everyone takes turns saying something loving / nice regarding someone else in the circle. Please keep this same spirit that's intended here. This is meant to build other's up rather than tear them down. I'll start ...

Someone on LDSFF who has made a difference in my life .... is Durzan. Durzan has been a great example to me of bravery in sharing beliefs and pearls despite how they may be received.

There are many more here who have impacted me in a positive way, but let's keep it to one person per post and feel free to check in / chime in often here.

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Re: Someone on LDSFF who has made a difference in my life ....

Post by kittycat51 »

5tev3 and drtanner because they always seem to be so level headed with standing up for the Church in mild mannered tones. Alaris because he makes me see gospel topics in a different light I had never thought of before. Davka because she has shown me how one is fearless. (sorry I broke the rules; I didn't want to post 4 different times)

justme
captain of 1,000

Post by justme »

Interesting thread but hard to keep the rules.

I will go with Stahura for my first post. Very sincere in always teaching the Doctrine of Christ while using reason and common sense in other issues.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

I could try but it wouldn't last long.

No matter what, I tend to be byper critical. It was something I inhereted from my mother.

It's how I became an over-achiever.

There can be a function and purpose to criticism.

And praise is only patting on the back. I was just praised for a good habit or behavior yesterday, but it was something I developed and used all my long life, because of what I thought my role in the world is, not because of praise, or because I sought praise.

So praise doesn't' change much with me.

I will say that lundbaek has brought me great pleasure here to know that there is someone here who understand church history and the truth of American politics. And I hope that he lives forever. And others realize his truths.
dc
Last edited by David13 on June 3rd, 2019, 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

There are so many people that have changed my life on this forum. I'll start with Alaris, because he has definitely changed my views on many things. I am a firm believer in MMP now, I feel like I can coherently understand the plan of happiness, and I have revived my study of the scriptures as ardently I used to when I was young.

Davka
captain of 1,000

Post by Davka »

Juliet has made a difference in my life. She has been through so much, but is so positive, even when others aren't being kind. I love her faith and always enjoy her unique perspective.

Michelle has also made a difference in my life by helping me see even more value in my role as a mother.

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

Someone on LDSFF who has made a difference in my life ....I agree with others. Its too hard to put just one person in a post.

iWriteStuff helped me read more Nibley and increase my understanding of the Law of Consecration. Also, so clever with his posts.

Ezra for his straight up awesome self sufficiency.

Brian for introducing me to all kinds of new information that I haven't found anywhere else. I'm going to spend a lifetime learning from what he has shared thus far. And I'll never look at the earth or universe the same way again.

Darren for his history of law and government and the people of God.

I'm just going to quote kittycat51 on the next four because she hit the nail on the head with them. I couldn't have said it better:
5tev3 and drtanner because they always seem to be so level headed with standing up for the Church in mild mannered tones. Alaris because he makes me see gospel topics in a different light I had never thought of before. Davka because she has shown me how one is fearless.
I'll be back with more. . .

Vision
captain of 1,000

Post by Vision »

BrianM because he arranged for Jack Monett to speak at the Murray library many years ago. I had just finished reading Jack's book "Awakening to our Awful Situation". It was through this forum that I found out about Jack speaking that day.

LucianAMD
ex-Puppet Master

Post by LucianAMD »

Obrien, Marc, Ajax.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

I can't do this. TWO people on LDSFF have made a difference in my life. I don't recall if I have permission from either to out them, so I'll just say what they did.

It was extremely difficult and discouraging for me to have so many women in my ancestry who needed ordinance work but nobody willing to help. I repeatedly asked my bishop and some female ward members, the bishop repeatedly said he would take it to the Relief Society President, but not one person helped. Then I accepted an offer from a forum member. I sent her the cards, she took them to the Mesa temple, and all those female ancestors received their initiatories and endowments. This happened at a low point in my life and was a tremendous blessing that really helped uplift me.

The other sister, one December evening we met at Temple Square to walk around, enjoy the lights, and talk. I think it was a blessing for both of us, and several weeks later she met me at another temple to perform ordinance work for my grandparents. This was absolutely wonderful to me.

Both of these ladies will always have my gratitude.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Gad has made a substantial difference in my life. Our phone conversations in past years, his advice and personal experience and witness is a real example of persistence to me in seeking the face of my Savior. I know he doesn't care for recognition, but thanks, Dan!

thestock
captain of 1,000

Post by thestock »

EmmaLee, Col Flagg, Stahura, Ajax and I like that RM Kirtland guy because I basically used to be him like 10 years ago so I feel many of his posts.

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

I appreciate BrianM and the forum moderators. This is one of the few sites that I believe are fair to everyone sharing their perspective without becoming too self righteous or moderating conversations out of existance, yet still remaining conservative.

I come here to get a round of perspectives and I really appreciate the times that everybody shares and disagrees politely because I enjoy learning and developing conflict-resolution skills.

I appreciate threads started by I AM and Airbender, and the family based values of Fianann, and mtm11.

I AM
captain of 1,000

Post by I AM »

John Tavner - his Christ like example to others, and his simple teaching of the doctrine of Christ, loving your enemies, sacrifice, and giving everything - totally submitting and giving your life to serving The Lord .

many comments he has made in the forum
like this - in this thread "Where ? is your heart"
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=50980&p=919139#p919139

I also acknowledge some others that made comments in the same thread,

justme
captain of 1,000

Post by justme »

If I can play another round I would say Lizzie. Though her view is very hard line and she is adamant in defending it she is also very thoughtful and reasonable in her posts.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

Michelle wrote: May 15th, 2019, 8:56 pm Someone on LDSFF who has made a difference in my life ....I agree with others. Its too hard to put just one person in a post.

iWriteStuff helped me read more Nibley and increase my understanding of the Law of Consecration. Also, so clever with his posts.
Ironically, I got my Nibleyphile tendencies from...... marc. So to marc goes all the credit!

Also ironically, the person who has made the most difference in my life from LDSFF is Silver. I think he got booted more than a year ago, but he and I still stay in touch almost daily. He's probably one of the few living breathing human beings I can call a true friend.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

Someone on LDSFF who has made a difference in my life .... BrianM aka the creator (of the forum.)

This forum can not be an easy balance to achieve. An online space where folks are free to express their most sacred beliefs, their speculations and musings where some leeway for passion is allowed without enabling flaming and trolling.

All of this has been instrumental for me since I joined back in 2016 to seek and share answers and further understanding. I honestly don't know where Id be today without LDSFF. Thanks BrianM!
Last edited by Alaris on May 16th, 2019, 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

setyourselffree
captain of 1,000

Post by setyourselffree »

I would say everyone on here that has a different opinion than me. I have been so frustrated with so many posters on here. I have come to realize that I need to exercise patience and try to be more loving and kind. I have really learned from those who have dissenting voices. I have also come to realize that not all dissenting voices on here are specifically anti but are just trying to figure things out. And with these people I have had to be led by the spirit as not to push them or others further away.

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

iWriteStuff wrote: May 16th, 2019, 11:54 am Also ironically, the person who has made the most difference in my life from LDSFF is Silver. I think he got booted more than a year ago, but he and I still stay in touch almost daily. He's probably one of the few living breathing human beings I can call a true friend.
Aww Silver. Love/Hate relationship. He was the first one that friended me when I joined, and I agreed with most of his posts. But honestly towards the end, he got a little bit nasty before he was kicked out. It kind of hurt.

Zathura
Follow the Prophet

Post by Zathura »

setyourselffree wrote: May 16th, 2019, 12:45 pm I would say everyone on here that has a different opinion than me. I have been so frustrated with so many posters on here. I have come to realize that I need to exercise patience and try to be more loving and kind. I have really learned from those who have dissenting voices. I have also come to realize that not all dissenting voices on here are specifically anti but are just trying to figure things out. And with these people I have had to be led by the spirit as not to push them or others further away.
Solid answer ^^

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

setyourselffree wrote: May 16th, 2019, 12:45 pm I would say everyone on here that has a different opinion than me. I have been so frustrated with so many posters on here. I have come to realize that I need to exercise patience and try to be more loving and kind. I have really learned from those who have dissenting voices. I have also come to realize that not all dissenting voices on here are specifically anti but are just trying to figure things out. And with these people I have had to be led by the spirit as not to push them or others further away.
Well put!
I imagine we all could have written this, despite differing perspectives.

mslouise
captain of 10

Post by mslouise »

I guess this is a reflection on me. If it is a long message, I breeze through without really reading it. When people are arguing, especially getting personal, I leave. I'll admit I'm shallow. If the material gets too deep, I'm gone. I'm thinking to myself that since I really don't know who is posting, their background, motives, etc., I should be spending my time reading the Ensign or conference talk. I fear being misled. I go to this forum for news and entertainment mostly. I really liked Jason but he hasn't posted in a long time. I go to this forum at least once a day because I'm exposed to other views than what I'll get in Sunday School.

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

Freedomforall,
He is no longer here and what a shame. He always taught from the scriptures, not from his own thinking, he posted good music, good sense of humor, loved his country, fought for it, and was right on with his opinions in my opinion.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

There was one other who may have had some influence in my life.

I'm sure they think they did, but of course I would like to think I did it all myself, which I did, but with some guidance and direction, and volunteering, which did aid and abet me a great deal.

I don't think it's a good idea for anyone to get a big head, so all I can say there is ... thanks.

dc

Zathura
Follow the Prophet

Post by Zathura »

I am incredibly grateful for this forum. It’s played a huge part in my own path to come unto Christ.

The first poster I’ll mention is Log. God bless him.

I disagreed with him and clashed with him a few times, but one post in particular related to Spiritual Rebirth is one of the most important things I’ve ever found in my life.

The Spirit led me to this post in the midst of my spiritual awakening and helped solidify my understanding.

I’ll post it here :

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=30970&p=427170&hil ... in#p427170
log wrote: November 4th, 2013, 9:55 pm My assumption is that the reader has already been baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and believes the gospel, including the need to repent of all one's sins.  This is the process wherein we become sanctified through the baptism by fire and the Holy Ghost.  While I have presented it as a list, in reality it is a contiguous, compact experience, just as baptism by water is.

1. We repent - we lay aside all sin and every worldly lust, and focus wholly upon God, obeying every commandment that we can with all our might, mind, and strength.  We discover that we cannot overcome our carnal nature, and cannot keep all the commandments, by any exercise of strength or willpower, which leads us to the next step.
2. We push past our fears, inadequacies, and unworthiness, and call upon God in mighty prayer, with all the energy and strength of our souls, without ceasing until we receive, in the name of Christ, for one or more of the following:
            a. forgiveness of our sins.
            b. to be made clean.
            c. the Spirit.
            d. to know the will of God.
            e. to receive charity.
            f. to receive faith.
3. Godly sorrow for sin is borne to our souls by the Spirit, wherein we sorrow for the sins of the world.
4. A covenant of obedience is impressed upon our soul by the Spirit.  The covenant is different for each individual.  This covenant is what baptism is supposed to be a public witness of.
5. Jesus Christ makes intercession by praying with and for us unto the Father; we recognize his presence and feel his words in our heart as he does so.
6. The Holy Ghost enters into our heart as by fire.  The fire feels as though the rumbling, roaring energy from a mighty waterfall surrounds our heart, and it is without heat.
7. The fires of the Spirit begin to purify and cleanse our heart and soul.
8. The bands of death and chains of hell are loosed, or burst, or broken, from around our heart and soul.  It feels at this time like one's heart is being forced through a hole that is too small for it, and it is almost painful, until the bands are shattered and crumble away from our heart.  It is a real thing that is sensible and recognizable when it happens: you know your sins, manifested as those bands, have been burned from your heart.  I believe this also is what is meant by being circumcised of heart.
9. Our souls fill to capacity with joy and glory such that our heart feels as though we will explode from the joy and glory if it doesn't stop, then our soul expands to receive it all.
10. We are born again, that all things become new unto us; it literally feels as though we are seeing everything for the first time.  We are our true selves, what we were before we came here.  This is the mighty change of heart, that we are made utterly innocent, having our natures changed from evil to good, that we are converted unto the Lord, and have literally got no more desire to do evil, but to do good continually.  Your flesh no longer wars against your spirit.
11. Father testifies to us.  This testimony is specific to the individual.
12. Our prayers are answered as we pray them.
13. We are filled with light and perfect love so long as one is diligent unto prayer and good works, keeping all the commandments.
14. We continually receive revelations, are one with the Godhead, and commune with Father and Christ, on the same conditions.

This is how we take upon us the name of Christ, become perfect, become saints (which means "sanctified ones"), are made alive in Christ ("quickened in the inner man"), and become the children of God.  This is how we progress from belief in Christ to having faith in him.  This is what it means to be reconciled to God.  This is what Paul meant by "saved".  The Holy Ghost, which we have received through the baptism by fire, is the "unction" (anointing) from Christ which teaches us all things, that we need not any man should teach us.

Ofttimes, on experiencing this, the recipient wishes to die and so dwell with God.  The recipient also typically desires their family likewise partake.  It should be noted that the fruit of the tree of life, being the greatest of all the gifts of God, is charity (and not salvation in the Celestial Kingdom in this context); partaking of the fruit then is the baptism by fire and the Holy Ghost, wherein we are filled with perfect love.

Incidentally, the Holy Ghost in his role as the minister of heavenly fire is the Holy Spirit of Promise (1 John 3:9 footnote b; Ephesians 1:13).  By this sign can you know if any of your ordinances or covenants have been ratified by heaven.