When we finally find out about polygamy

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Benaishtart
captain of 100

When we finally find out about polygamy

Post by Benaishtart »

So for those of you that believe Polygamy is an eternal principle:
What would you do if you went to heaven and found out that it wasn’t a thing. Abrahamic sacrifice or something or all those who did it didn’t make it to heaven or something along those lines
And for those who believe it’s false doctrine:
What would you do if you went and found out that HF and Jesus have thousands upon thousands of consorts and that the great and noble ones like Joseph have hundreds of companions? And that you would have to do it to eventually become like them?

Zathura
Follow the Prophet

Re: When we finally find out about polygamy

Post by Zathura »

Benaishtart wrote: May 10th, 2019, 5:20 pm So for those of you that believe Polygamy is an eternal principle:
What would you do if you went to heaven and found out that it wasn’t a thing. Abrahamic sacrifice or something or all those who did it didn’t make it to heaven or something along those lines
What would you do if you went and found out that HF and Jesus have thousands upon thousands of consorts and that the great and noble ones like Joseph have hundreds of companions? And that you would have to do it to eventually become like them?
I'd ask:

Why did you say this in the Book of Mormon (Jacob 2):

24 Behold, David and Solomon truly had many wives and concubines, which thing was abominable before me, saith the Lord.

But this in D&C 132

38 David also received many wives and concubines, and also Solomon and Moses my servants, as also many others of my servants, from the beginning of creation until this time; and in nothing did they sin save in those things which they received not of me.

39 David’s wives and concubines were given unto him of me, by the hand of Nathan

D&C 132 is a fabrication made to justify their lifestyle. They committed whoredoms and abominations just like the Nephites sought to practice before Jacob pulled them down and called them to repentance.

Benaishtart
captain of 100

Post by Benaishtart »

Stahura wrote: May 10th, 2019, 5:38 pm
Benaishtart wrote: May 10th, 2019, 5:20 pm So for those of you that believe Polygamy is an eternal principle:
I'd ask:

24 Behold, David and Solomon truly had many wives and concubines, which thing was abominable before me, saith the Lord.

But this in D&C 132

38 David also received many wives and concubines, and also Solomon and Moses my servants, as also many others of my servants, from the beginning of creation until this time; and in nothing did they sin save in those things which they received not of me.

39 David’s wives and concubines were given unto him of me, by the hand of Nathan

D&C 132 is a fabrication made to justify their lifestyle. They committed whoredoms and abominations just like the Nephites sought to practice before Jacob pulled them down and called them to repentance.
So the Lord didn’t actually say that in Jacob. It was Jacob who said that. He said it to convince the wicked nephites for practicing polygamy. The abominable part of David and Solomon’s wives were not their number but the idolatry of their wives. Either way I’m totally ok with Jacob just saying that because the Lord wanted a monogamous people during the BoM Times. There’s a time and season for everything. However, the words in D&C132 I believe come from Christ himself.

MMbelieve
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by MMbelieve »

Thousands upon thousands...i would look around at those who made it with me and see only women, lol.

This idea is the worst form of male demeaning that is always dismissed or not considered. Thousands of women? Where the heck did the men go? And those special guys get rewarded with everyone else's wives because...?
It points to using men in this life as a workhorse with zero value beyond this life unless your a prophet or apostle. In this life more men are born than women. The spirits count for the numbers they are, not for any perceived or realized imbalances after birth. To say men are less righteous is not a wise thing, the majority of righteous people written about are men and all of diety we hear about are indeed men.
It doesnt add up at all in my mind how people can imagine such things and miss the implications.

How do men stand for such beliefs that make them out to be less than?

MMbelieve
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by MMbelieve »

Benaishtart wrote: May 10th, 2019, 5:45 pm
I'd ask:

But this in D&C 132

So the Lord didn’t actually say that in Jacob. It was Jacob who said that. He said it to convince the wicked nephites for practicing polygamy. The abominable part of David and Solomon’s wives were not their number but the idolatry of their wives. Either way I’m totally ok with Jacob just saying that because the Lord wanted a monogamous people during the BoM Times. There’s a time and season for everything. However, the words in D&C132 I believe come from Christ himself.
“If he DESIRES 10 virgins then let him have them, and if she doesn’t allow it happily then throw her in hell and take your women anyways”.

Is that really Christ’s voice? I though he was much kinder and thoughtful than that barbaric language.

Now, if he would have actually thrown the first stone at the woman instead of placing it on the ground (or not even accepting a stone in his hand) then I would believe he could be so cruel and uncaring towards people...well, women. This verse is catering to man.

Or, even if he would have cursed the men who placed him on the cross instead of what is recorded, then I could believe it.

ori
captain of 1,000

Post by ori »

MMbelieve wrote: May 10th, 2019, 5:56 pm
Thousands upon thousands...i would look around at those who made it with me and see only women, lol.

This idea is the worst form of male demeaning that is always dismissed or not considered. Thousands of women? Where the heck did the men go? And those special guys get rewarded with everyone else's wives because...?
It points to using men in this life as a workhorse with zero value beyond this life unless your a prophet or apostle. In this life more men are born than women. The spirits count for the numbers they are, not for any perceived or realized imbalances after birth. To say men are less righteous is not a wise thing, the majority of righteous people written about are men and all of diety we hear about are indeed men.
It doesnt add up at all in my mind how people can imagine such things and miss the implications.

I have similar musings. There are many men who keep talking about how much better women are. How much more righteous they are. I do think it’s demeaning to men. It might actually be correct — that is, that women really are more righteous— but it just feels wrong to me. Maybe it’s because the idea of judging an entire group of people by their gender is just a bad thing to do. <shrug>

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

It's sad to have sat back and watched the metamorphosis of this forum from 2006 to 2019 and the evolution to so many pro-polygamy posters. Not only is polygamy abominable in the sight of God, it is the most morally reprehensible practice there is. Talk about men's hearts failing them. Like I've said before, if the roles of polygamy were reversed and women could take multiple husbands, polygamy would never have been a problem to begin with and watch how fast it gets banned forever. :lol:

ori
captain of 1,000

Post by ori »

Matters not to me. I’m prepared to accept everything that comes from the mouth of God. If he says “oh, D&C 132 is an abomination” I’d say, “thanks for clearing that up” and move along.

If he says “You must live polygamy “ then by golly I’d accept it. When God commands— OBEY. In a way, it’s simple: just trust Him.

If he says something even more strange: “I have many wives. But thou shalt live monogamously henceforth and forever”. I’d obey and live monogamously.

I trust Him to know what’s best for me. Monogamy is working fabulously for the time being.

ori
captain of 1,000

Post by ori »

Col. Flagg wrote: May 10th, 2019, 6:13 pm It's sad to have sat back and watched the metamorphosis of this forum from 2006 to 2019 and the evolution to so many pro-polygamy posters. Not only is polygamy abominable in the sight of God, it is the most morally reprehensible practice there is. Talk about men's hearts failing them. Like I've said before, if the roles of polygamy were reversed and women could take multiple husbands, polygamy would never have been a problem to begin with and watch how fast it gets banned forever. :lol:
(I mean this in the best way, though it may sound awful, the message I’m trying to convey really isn’t) : If God says, “I have many brother husbands, we all share one wife” and tells me to live that — I’d do it.

I don’t care what marriage looks like in heaven, right now I’m focusing on bettering my monogamous marriage, and that’s enough for me.

I’m prepared for whatever the prophets of the Lord have to say on this issue: if they denounce D&C 132, I’m good with that. If they reinstated polygamy, well, it’d be difficult, but ok. Or the opposite: many husbands sharing a wife... I’m prepared to accept that doctrine, hard though it may be. If they just stay consistent on this issue (status quo) - great 👍!

Zathura
Follow the Prophet

Post by Zathura »

Benaishtart wrote: May 10th, 2019, 5:45 pm
I'd ask:

But this in D&C 132

It literally says "saith the Lord". Jacob is quoting God, it's not Jacob speaking. That same Jacob who beheld God in his youth? Yeah.

Mindfields
captain of 1,000

Post by Mindfields »

The provenance behind Section 132 is so convoluted and ridiculous it's unbelievable. This bit of "scripture" is a one off and it reads like it.

Zathura
Follow the Prophet

Post by Zathura »

Mindfields wrote: May 10th, 2019, 6:34 pm The provenance behind Section 132 is so convoluted and ridiculous it's unbelievable. This bit of "scripture" is a one off and it reads like it.
This x100.

It so perfectly and conveniently justifies this lifestyle they lived for YEARS that, prior to revealing this "revelation", had been forbidden by every book of scripture and Presidents of the Church Joseph and Hyrum in the strongest terms possible and men had been excommunicated over it's practice.
Last edited by Zathura on May 10th, 2019, 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jonesy
captain of 1,000

Post by Jonesy »

Either way, I just hope I say, thy will be done! And we’ll likely have and gain more understanding and knowledge than we can imagine on this subject.

abijah
pleb in zion

Post by abijah »

MMbelieve wrote: May 10th, 2019, 5:56 pm
Lol
Then don’t marry a polygamist. Who’s forcing you, or anyone? Some men are better than others and maybe some more-demeaned women than yourself would want a chance at a marriage to one of a higher priesthood authority. Would you inhibit their agency to marry whom they will, or that of a man seeking to expand his house and glorify his name?
Sure it doesn’t add up in the forcibly-monogamous, feminised society we live in today. But it replicates nature. The male at the top of the food chain getting the most females is, technically, the most natural structure there is. It’s a structure that promotes growth and positive evolution, ensuring the best genes are passed down. And earthly things mirror heavenly things. Christ will have more wives than anyone.
Because we are a bunch of horny troublemakers obviously! :evil: :lol:

abijah
pleb in zion

Post by abijah »

What would you do if you went to heaven and found out that it wasn’t a thing.
Wouldn’t be bothered.

Durzan
The Lord's Trusty Maverick

Post by Durzan »

I wouldn't be bothered by either extreme. Let the Lord's will be done.

However, I don't think either extreme presented in the options above are accurate descriptions of what heaven is actually like concerning Eternal Marriage. If there is such a thing as Celestial Plural Marriage, it will exist because some people would've needed it in order to have the opportunity to progress and become exalted.

Monogamy is the ideal and the standard, CPM (if it indeed exists) would be a necessary extension and exception of the Celestial Law of Marriage; no more and no less.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

Col. Flagg wrote: May 10th, 2019, 6:13 pm It's sad to have sat back and watched the metamorphosis of this forum from 2006 to 2019 and the evolution to so many pro-polygamy posters. Not only is polygamy abominable in the sight of God, it is the most morally reprehensible practice there is...
Or is it just your own metamorphosis and changing perspective that is causing you to see things this way? From my perspective, it seems like there's been an increase in anti-polygamy posters.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

If polygamy isn't the way of the Celestial Kingdom it will sadden me.

I would be curious to hear the opinion of women opposed to polygamy on this subject:
Say you become sealed to a man then die well before him. Later in life he becomes sealed to someone else. Or maybe you meet, fall in love with, and become sealed to a widower. In either situation, if polygamy is not the way of the Celestial kingdom then are you okay with your eternal companion casting you aside like a worn out pair of shoes?

Maybe it's just because my ex threw me away like last week's leftovers, but this is the reason why I can't marry a widow. I don't want to be a disposable object to be cast aside as soon as one of us dies. I don't want to die alone, not sealed to anybody. And it would greatly disturb me to discover that every man who leaves mortality sealed to multiple women is going to throw away all but one.

LadyT
captain of 100

Post by LadyT »

brianj wrote: May 10th, 2019, 9:54 pm If polygamy isn't the way of the Celestial Kingdom it will sadden me.

I would be curious to hear the opinion of women opposed to polygamy on this subject:
Say you become sealed to a man then die well before him. Later in life he becomes sealed to someone else. Or maybe you meet, fall in love with, and become sealed to a widower. In either situation, if polygamy is not the way of the Celestial kingdom then are you okay with your eternal companion casting you aside like a worn out pair of shoes?

Maybe it's just because my ex threw me away like last week's leftovers, but this is the reason why I can't marry a widow. I don't want to be a disposable object to be cast aside as soon as one of us dies. I don't want to die alone, not sealed to anybody. And it would greatly disturb me to discover that every man who leaves mortality sealed to multiple women is going to throw away all but one.
I would never have married a widower. My husband promised me that if I died before him, he would never be sealed go another woman. So for me, it's not a problem with any of this. I don't share well and would never share my husband.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

LadyT wrote: May 10th, 2019, 10:30 pm
brianj wrote: May 10th, 2019, 9:54 pm If polygamy isn't the way of the Celestial Kingdom it will sadden me.

I would never have married a widower. My husband promised me that if I died before him, he would never be sealed go another woman. So for me, it's not a problem with any of this. I don't share well and would never share my husband.
I don't understand your point. Are you saying that you don't care how much other people may be hurt because you won't be?

LadyT
captain of 100

Post by LadyT »

brianj wrote: May 10th, 2019, 11:03 pm

I don't understand your point. Are you saying that you don't care how much other people may be hurt because you won't be?
I am simply saying there are lots of options for people. Isn't that what this life is about? our freewill and ability to decide what we want?

Kingdom of ZION
captain of 1,000

Post by Kingdom of ZION »

LadyT wrote: May 11th, 2019, 12:02 am

I am simply saying there are lots of options for people. Isn't that what this life is about? our freewill and ability to decide what we want?

True, millions upon thousands of principles. Most are man made inventions, freewill to do whatever they feel like. But then there is eternal revelation upon hundreds of principles and the heavenly revealed standards or correct principles. Are you free indeed? Yes, but your decisions will play a very large determining factor to the place where you will eventually make it to in the eternities.

What am I saying? Those who keep different levels of glory, will find themselves in that realm that they were willing to live those principles and keep. Now the real question is what are these principles? When one speaks to the first grader, their are much more restrictive rules demanded for their safety. As they progress, and they grow older, these rules many times become more like principles, and their is a whole new set of rules demanded. One can see this in how the different dispensations dealing with the tribes of Yisrael. They started with much more restrictive rules demanded of them under Moses. When the Messiah came, these rules many times become more like principles. Joseph Smith revealed the higher laws to the common man, things that were only given unto His prophets and holy men.

So, as we have been expected to grow and mature... many have wished to remain in the nursery. They shall and shall not be added upon, because they have not wanted to advance further, and become more like Father. Why? Because of our freewill and ability to decide what we want!

Choose wisely Brothers and Sisters!

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

Benaishtart wrote: May 10th, 2019, 5:20 pm
Well that would mess up my family for sure. All of my ancestors were Mormon Pioneers. Out of those at least half practiced polygamy. So if so much in the church talks about linking families and hearts of the fathers turned to the children etc, there would be multiple gaps in my links.

I posted this last week in another OP. It comes from Saints Vol 1. The story surrounding it was that Joseph was having a hard time getting Hyrum on board for polygamy. (as was mentioned earlier Hyrum was sorely against it.) Joseph brought Brigham on board to help sway the opinion of Hyrum. This is what happend:
...Brigham listened to Hyrum’s sermon, his emotions rising. Beside him, Joseph sat with his face buried in his hands. When Hyrum finished, Joseph nudged Brigham and said, “Get up.”

Brigham stood and picked up the scriptures Hyrum had set down. He laid the books in front of him, one by one, so everyone in the room could see. “I would not give the ashes of a rye straw for these three books,” he declared, “without the living oracles of God.” Lacking a latter-day prophet, he said, the Saints were no better off than they were before God revealed the gospel through Joseph Smith.

When he finished, Brigham could tell his sermon had moved Hyrum. Rising to his feet, Hyrum humbly asked the Saints to forgive him. Brigham was right, he said. As valuable as the scriptures were, they were no substitute for a living prophet.
Personally I am so glad I DON'T have to live that life style. I'm not sure with my attitude and character what would happen if I were asked to do so? As a genealogist I have come to know about my ancestors a ton; I love them, I admire them, I can't wait to meet them again. I would be devastated if my "eternal" family was all broken up, because they were cast out for living a lifestyle they believed to be okay, or commanded by God.

The Airbender
captain of 1,000

Post by The Airbender »

Only the Lord can tell you what is and isn't right for you in this life and in the life to come.

MMbelieve
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by MMbelieve »

You sound like her husband is every woman’s saving grace.

Question, if this was stated to you about sharing your wife with a few other men would you be okay with that?