Does KSL Report News or Propaganda?

Discuss political news items / current events.
investigator
captain of 100

Does KSL Report News or Propaganda?

Post by investigator »

Propaganda ...presenting facts selectively to encourage a particular synthesis or perception... Wikipeda
In the recent news story reporting the case of Sterling Van Wagenen, 71, of Woodland Hills, Utah County, who pleaded guilty as charged to aggravated sexual abuse of a child, a first-degree felony, KSL left out the fact that Van Wagenen was the producer of the 2013 revised LDS Temple Movies.

Below are listed the stories as reported by KSL, the Salt Lake Tribune and the Truth and Transparency Foundation...
https://www.ksl.com/article/46542264/su ... using-girl

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2019/04/30/ ... anwagenen/

https://truthandtransparency.org/news/2 ... -early-90s

Below is the portion missing from the KSL story...
In 2013, the church began showing three films directed by Van Wagenen as part of Latter-day Saint temple rituals, according to the Truth and Transparency Foundation. Those rites are among the faith’s holiest ordinances, available only to devout members. Salt Lake Tribune April 30, 2019
Is it not obvious that KSL presents the facts to selectively encourage a particular syntheses or perception?
Is it not a salient fact in this story that admitted child molester, Van Wagenen, was the director of the Temple Movies?

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Re: Does KSL Report News or Propaganda?

Post by kittycat51 »

Like every other news agency, they report whatever they please. Yes KSL is not immune to "Fake News", or in this case not "fully disclosed" news.

Chip
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Chip »

I've been thinking for a while that the whole business of making dramatizations is probably not of God. First of all, whatever is being portrayed is being done so by people who are not actually who they are pretending to be. Second, those who have a drive for dramatization are much more likely to be sexual perverts, as they really get into the world of "pretend" for some strange personal reasons. Relying on dramatizations to convey concepts is maybe inherently risky.

I used to work with a guy who was an aspiring actor. I told him that I could not understand how married people can do love scenes with other people. He explained that you become the person that you are portraying, in every sense, during the portrayal. What a perversion! Need someone to cry on cue? You just need a good liar. This guy had major personal problems. Nobody was ever allowed to see the inside of his apartment. He would even put a sheet up behind him during video conference calls. He treated other people with emotional cruelty. Nasty world he lived in.

So, the church employing actors and producers to make dramatizations has inherent risks that come with the territory.

Another thing that's very hard to get our head around is that all people on news programs are simply actors. It is their job requirement to speak with conviction, as if they have some personal testimony of what they are saying. The fact is that they are reading scripts, word for word.

Remember this...

https://youtu.be/B6cX7Lv-BUc

TV news anchor = drama actor
TV news viewer = patron of the arts
Last edited by Chip on May 1st, 2019, 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

KSL is no different than any other mainstream news outlet where propaganda rules the day. They have an agenda just like the rest of them. The Church-owned Deseret News is even worse, IMO.

buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by buffalo_girl »

I've been thinking for a while that the whole business of making dramatizations is probably not of God.

That has also occurred to me, and for some of the same reasons you describe.

Even if the producers, directors, and actors are perfectly correct in their adherence to 'the letter of the law' there is too much room for misunderstanding Eternal Principles. I've encountered many 'good' members of the Church who have what seems to be a rigid understanding of how life's experiences - including really challenging ones most people do not have - can and do mature us individually & uniquely into greater spiritual wisdom. Such limitations will inevitably emerge in any portrayal of eternal principles and progression outside of that given by the Holy Spirit through Scripture and Personal Revelation as the trusted means of having Truth confirmed.

I feel we are walking in an increasingly dark time. We need to look directly to Christ's guiding Light in order to retain Hope, Faith & Charity.

Doctrine & Covenants 45
57 For they that are wise and have received the truth, and have taken the Holy Spirit for their guide, and have not been deceived—verily I say unto you, they shall not be hewn down and cast into the fire, but shall abide the day.

Doctrine & Covenants 88
67 And if your eye be single to my glory, your whole bodies shall be filled with light, and there shall be no darkness in you; and that body which is filled with light comprehendeth all things.

investigator
captain of 100

Post by investigator »

EmmaLee wrote: May 1st, 2019, 10:04 am KSL is no different than any other mainstream news outlet where propaganda rules the day. They have an agenda just like the rest of them. The Church-owned Deseret News is even worse, IMO.
Deseret News ran the exact same story as KSL by the same reporter. I find it interesting that this guy is pleading guilty is such a hurry. They want this one to go away as fast as possible.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

investigator wrote: May 1st, 2019, 11:05 am
EmmaLee wrote: May 1st, 2019, 10:04 am KSL is no different than any other mainstream news outlet where propaganda rules the day. They have an agenda just like the rest of them. The Church-owned Deseret News is even worse, IMO.
Deseret News ran the exact same story as KSL by the same reporter.
Yes, I'm aware. I was speaking in general that the Church-owned Deseret News is worse than KSL, meaning overall, not necessarily on this one particular story.

Aprhys
captain of 1,000

Post by Aprhys »

I find it interesting that the comment section to this story was first, shortened immensely and second, removed completely.

Aprhys
captain of 1,000

Post by Aprhys »

I found it interesting that last night the comment section of this story was first, shortened and then second, completely removed.

investigator
captain of 100

Post by investigator »

KSL-TV, virtual channel 5 (UHF digital channel 23), is an NBC-affiliated television station licensed to Salt Lake City, Utah, United States.It is the flagship television property of Bonneville International, the for-profit broadcasting arm of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church). Wiki.

investigator
captain of 100

Post by investigator »

Aprhys wrote: May 1st, 2019, 12:24 pm I found it interesting that last night the comment section of this story was first, shortened and then second, completely removed.
KSL does not publish any comment which is critical of the church or their own reporting of the church or it's leaders even if the criticism is true. That is one of the reasons that they are not a news organization but a propaganda arm of the church.
oaks even if it is true.jpg
oaks even if it is true.jpg (75.58 KiB) Viewed 1112 times

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

KSL also intentionally failed to report that the Lehi man who was arrested on human trafficking charges a few months back just so happened to be a Bishop of an LDS ward in Lehi. All they reported was that he was an 'ecclesiastical leader' with no reference to which church he belonged to. The church was even aware that he had had a prior criminal record in St. George before he was called to be Bishop but ignored it.

4Joshua8
captain of 1,000

Post by 4Joshua8 »

It's not so simple with KSL and Deseret News.
I view both as having three basic sides.

1. Articles directed by church leaders, through official channels. These are probably rare.
2. Articles directed by executives/editors of the news organizations. These are probably more common.
3. Articles of every other kind (popular/culture topics, true reporting, etc.) that aren't really "directed" at all, except by grunts (said with compassion, not as an insult) and writers.

Years ago I came to a realization that changed my life.

Not everything you see coming out of BYU, Deseret News, KSL, etc. that has to do with the church has the approval or is done at the orders of the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve Apostles.

I know of several instances when apostles have chastised employees of the church and church-owned organizations for the casualness in their approach.

Sometimes the bias of the employee gets them to try to protect the church. Sometimes it gets them to protect their own private opinion. Sometimes it is meant to hurt the church. Sometimes it is meant to help the church. But this I know: I hardly ever read a bias-free article from ANY organization anywhere. We should always expect organizations to publish content with bias. It's our job to discover whose bias it is and what all the facts really are.

It's sad that when we discover bias, we tend to want to reject the original information. Our reaction to bias can sometimes skew our own bias out of whack.

I'm content to know that I don't yet know all the details in this particular case.

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

buffalo_girl wrote: May 1st, 2019, 10:50 am
I've been thinking for a while that the whole business of making dramatizations is probably not of God.

That has also occurred to me, and for some of the same reasons you describe.

Even if the producers, directors, and actors are perfectly correct in their adherence to 'the letter of the law' there is too much room for misunderstanding Eternal Principles. I've encountered many 'good' members of the Church who have what seems to be a rigid understanding of how life's experiences - including really challenging ones most people do not have - can and do mature us individually & uniquely into greater spiritual wisdom. Such limitations will inevitably emerge in any portrayal of eternal principles and progression outside of that given by the Holy Spirit through Scripture and Personal Revelation as the trusted means of having Truth confirmed.

I feel we are walking in an increasingly dark time. We need to look directly to Christ's guiding Light in order to retain Hope, Faith & Charity.

Doctrine & Covenants 45
57 For they that are wise and have received the truth, and have taken the Holy Spirit for their guide, and have not been deceived—verily I say unto you, they shall not be hewn down and cast into the fire, but shall abide the day.

Doctrine & Covenants 88
67 And if your eye be single to my glory, your whole bodies shall be filled with light, and there shall be no darkness in you; and that body which is filled with light comprehendeth all things.
I also have concerns about actors and works of fiction. The scriptures in both Doctrine and Covenants and Revelation don't excuse "whosoever loveth and maketh a lie."
Doctrine and Covenants 63:17 Wherefore, I, the Lord, have said that the fearful, and the unbelieving, and all liars, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie, and the whoremonger, and the sorcerer, shall have their part in that flake which burneth with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.

18 Verily I say, that they shall not have part in the first resurrection.

19 And now behold, I, the Lord, say unto you that ye are not justified, because these things are among you.
Revelation 22:14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

15 For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

There is little to no real news available in today's world. All modern news is just another form of entertainment. Some like comics, some movies, some music, some books, and some "news programs" and "newspapers."

I recommend "Amusing Ourselves to Death" by Neil Postman to any who have not read it. Originally published in 1985 and more relevant than ever.

On a similar vein: Disney recently bought Fox News and that makes perfect sense.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Michelle wrote: May 1st, 2019, 2:07 pm There is little to no real news available in today's world. All modern news is just another form of entertainment.
For a while there, there was. About twenty years ago, there was a lot of news being revealed by the internet by indy outlets. Then our rulers decided to cordon off the internet – the midwits started to get all their info off Google, Wikipedia and social media, all of which were heavily controlled.

One or two blogs exist, but they are safely partitioned off and don't even turn up in most search engines.

BuriedTartaria
Captain of Tartary

Post by BuriedTartaria »

They are propaganda designed to slowly turn society a certain direction like all "news".
> "B-b-but don't you realize how MANY PEOPLE would need to be IN ON IT for a conspiracy like this to exist?!"

Don't care, cope and seethe.

Vernet
captain of 10

Post by Vernet »

KSL is absolute propaganda! Stay away.

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by endlessQuestions »

My research into Beverly Campbell has taught me that the communications arm of the Church is by far the most corrupt branch in the vineyard.

And there’s not even a close second.

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

KSL is the undeniable proof, 100% certain, that the Q15 are frauds. Anyone thinking otherwise is deceived.

All reporters have the ability to tell the truth. Many would if not under strict orders otherwise.

If Jesus had a TV station, the programming would represent truth. There is zero truth to be found at KSL. First off, they are fag loving, climate change dweebs, hell bent on fulfilling the agenda of the WEF. Of course, it simply is not possible for a leftist to be a Christian. Oh sure, the lying, queer loving, globalists at KSL will say that they follow Christ, but it is total nonsense. All satanists believe in Jesus and that is what they mean when they claim to be Christian. Just go to Temple Square and watch who the people are that give money to the many beggars there. Not a single one in a white shirt and tie.

I can't even imagine how Jesus would react to KSL. The Q15 will never act the same way as Jesus toward pure evil.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

I was given a 6 month subscription to the DesNews about 6 months after I quit it a few years ago. Then this year, they once again gave me about a 3 month weekly subscription, trying to hook me into re-subscribing.

My, how the paper has fallen into even further irrelevance and highly biased narratives. They've even abandoned (at least in the weekly issue I received) what was their fall-back go-to source for national/international news, AP. Many pro-vax articles were being pushed even at this late date, and many other disturbing op ed presentations. One which stood out was a UofU virologist encouraging the expansion of giving the clot shot to children.

They don't seem to have any idea how narrow and highly biased their focus is. For anyone accustomed to accessing almost endless news/information and well articulated commentary on the net, to include myriad alternative sources, the DesNews is truly insipid and irrelevant.