Thanks Button

How can we improve the forum? Need help with something on the forum?
harakim
captain of 1,000

Thanks Button

Post by harakim »

Alaris wrote: January 12th, 2019, 11:44 am *edit* I hope the likes on your post aren't an indication of agreement *edit*. Has the new endowment change been out for a whole week and you all don't understand it yet? Aw!
I have been thinking about this for some time. It would be nice to have an "agree" separate from a thanks. I thank posts that I disagree with because I feel it was a point that should have been brought up and probably for other reasons.

Sometimes I don't thank for a post that I agree with because I don't agree with how it was said.

Primary Outcast
captain of 100

Re: Thanks Button

Post by Primary Outcast »

I agree, and thanks. Sometimes I ask someone to clarify something and I thank them for answering, but I don't agree with them.

abijah
pleb in zion

Post by abijah »

Yeah I thank posts for all sorts of reasons but sometimes I am wary that people may see my “thanks” and suppose I endorse or agree with what was said. I think once I thanked a post I found so ridiculous and funny that it made me burst out laughing and I just couldn’t help it.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

You could always post "Thanked, but disagree" or "Thanked b/c the post was so ridiculous it gave me the best laugh I have had in weeks." etc.

No reason to let your thanks be misinterpreted. :)

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

Well we don't want to make folks feel good at the expense of being misunderstood!

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

Original_Intent wrote: April 3rd, 2019, 9:27 pm You could always post "Thanked, but disagree" or "Thanked b/c the post was so ridiculous it gave me the best laugh I have had in weeks." etc.

No reason to let your thanks be misinterpreted. :)
I feel like I would post at least twice as much, posts that just say "Thanks, but disagreed."

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

abijah wrote: April 3rd, 2019, 9:05 pm Yeah I thank posts for all sorts of reasons but sometimes I am wary that people may see my “thanks” and suppose I endorse or agree with what was said.
Same here. A few times, I was going to thank a post, but decided not to because there was a sentence I considered unkind, and I didn't want it to seem like I endorsed that. Other times, I did anyway.

So many reasons to "thank": "I agree," "I appreciate your well thought out answer," "Thanks for taking the time to respond," "That is funny," "That is hilarious!", "You made me think," "Okay, I'm done with this conversation. Thanks for engaging," "I read your post and want you to know someone appreciates it," and so on.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Button 1 - Thanks
Button 2 - I agree
Button 3 - [laughing smilie]

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

That button 2 might cause even more hard feelings and anger than we already have on here sometimes. I hope I would stay away from it except in the most peaceful of conversations.

Better just to keep it as is, and let people think what they want in regards to what "thanked" means.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

Silver Pie wrote: July 15th, 2019, 3:56 pm That button 2 might cause even more hard feelings and anger than we already have on here sometimes. I hope I would stay away from it except in the most peaceful of conversations.

Better just to keep it as is, and let people think what they want in regards to what "thanked" means.
What do YOU think my thanks means above???

Themedicareguy
captain of 100

Post by Themedicareguy »

Silver Pie wrote: July 15th, 2019, 3:56 pm That button 2 might cause even more hard feelings and anger than we already have on here sometimes. I hope I would stay away from it except in the most peaceful of conversations.

I gave you a thanks, but it does not mean what you think it means.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Alaris and Themedicareguy -

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Alaris wrote: July 15th, 2019, 4:14 pm What do YOU think my thanks means above???
I have no idea. Messing with my mind, probably :D

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Themedicareguy wrote: July 15th, 2019, 4:21 pm I gave you a thanks, but it does not mean what you think it means.
Reminds me of a movie I watched a couple of times. :D

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

My thanks means "thanks for making my day." Laughter is supposed to be good medicine, and you two gave me a good dose today.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

Silver Pie wrote: July 15th, 2019, 4:32 pm
Alaris wrote: July 15th, 2019, 4:14 pm What do YOU think my thanks means above???
I have no idea. Messing with my mind, probably :D
Actually, it meant "I agree," "I appreciate your well thought out answer," "Thanks for taking the time to respond," "That is funny," "That is hilarious!", "You made me think," "Okay, I'm done with this conversation. Thanks for engaging," "I read your post and want you to know someone appreciates it," and so on.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

harakim wrote: April 3rd, 2019, 4:44 pmI have been thinking about this for some time. It would be nice to have an "agree" separate from a thanks....
It's definitely a consideration I'll keep in mind for any future changes.
For now, I would assume that most people consider it at least a partial agreement when they click the "thanks" button which is represented by a thumbs up icon.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

This may help (and reinforces Silver Pie's post)

thanks plural noun
\ ˈthaŋ(k)s \
Definition of thanks
1 : kindly or grateful thoughts : GRATITUDE
2 : an expression of gratitude
return thanks before the meal
—often used in an utterance containing no verb and serving as a courteous and somewhat informal expression of gratitude
many thanks

justme
captain of 1,000

Post by justme »

Sometimes I wish there was a line item thanks button.

There are times when I agree with almost everything but then they go and ruin it with one last sentence.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

justme wrote: July 15th, 2019, 6:13 pm Sometimes I wish there was a line item thanks button.

There are times when I agree with almost everything but then they go and ruin it with one last sentence.
I suggest thanking them anyway and not worrying so much about what folks may read into your kindness

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Alaris wrote: July 15th, 2019, 4:38 pm Actually, it meant "I agree," "I appreciate your well thought out answer," "Thanks for taking the time to respond," "That is funny," "That is hilarious!", "You made me think," "Okay, I'm done with this conversation. Thanks for engaging," "I read your post and want you to know someone appreciates it," and so on.
Aww, you're sweet. <3

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

Silver Pie wrote: July 15th, 2019, 6:41 pm
Alaris wrote: July 15th, 2019, 4:38 pm Actually, it meant "I agree," "I appreciate your well thought out answer," "Thanks for taking the time to respond," "That is funny," "That is hilarious!", "You made me think," "Okay, I'm done with this conversation. Thanks for engaging," "I read your post and want you to know someone appreciates it," and so on.
Aww, you're sweet. <3
Thank you! I feel like folks who strain over whether or not to use the "thanks" button sort of don't get the whole love thy neighbor aspect of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

justme wrote: July 15th, 2019, 6:13 pm Sometimes I wish there was a line item thanks button.

Mm-mh (that's "yes"). Occasionally, I've removed a thanks when I realized they said something at the end that was really nasty or snarky to the person they were replying to.

If anyone ever sees that I've thanked a post that has some nasty or snarky comment(s) in it, please know that I thumbs-upped it in spite of that part, not because of it.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Alaris wrote: July 15th, 2019, 6:44 pm
Silver Pie wrote: July 15th, 2019, 6:41 pm
Aww, you're sweet. <3
Thank you! I feel like folks who strain over whether or not to use the "thanks" button sort of don't get the whole love thy neighbor aspect of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
Good point :!:

Maybe there should be a pinned thread for the Help sub-forum like the one for the News sub-forum, as now the thanks button mostly looks like a thumbs up, where before it was a button with the word "thanks" spelled out.
Or
Thank you, but please do pull your head out of your you know where. :lol:

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

Silver Pie wrote: July 15th, 2019, 3:55 pm Button 1 - Thanks
Button 2 - I agree
Button 3 - [laughing smilie]
Perfect!