Unusual things said in Patriarchal Blessings

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Dusty52
captain of 100

Unusual things said in Patriarchal Blessings

Post by Dusty52 »

Years ago I was once told by a sister that she was told in her p/b that she was in the choir in heaven singing praises when the saviour was born, wow!
I know we need to hold our blessings as sacred but I do find such revelations intriguing!
Anymore?

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Unusual things said in Patriarchal Blessings

Post by Elizabeth »

In my Patriarchal Blessing I am told I am a Sweet and Noble Spirit.

Davka
captain of 1,000

Post by Davka »

Elizabeth wrote: January 14th, 2019, 7:16 pm In my Patriarchal Blessing I am told I am a Sweet and Noble Spirit.
Haha, a "sweet spirit."

I'm sure it wasn't meant the way it is often used today.

Davka
captain of 1,000

Post by Davka »

Deleted.
Last edited by Davka on January 15th, 2019, 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

Not mine, but a friend's

" Study the Constitution of The United States of America. Learn of it so you may be able to defend it, for it was divinely instituted here so that the Gospel might be restored in these latter days. We must defend this Constitution and keep it from being undermined and destroyed, that our religious liberties may remain intact".

Emaya
Hi, I'm new.

Post by Emaya »

I'm just recently remarried and my new husband's states his voice will be heard in the capitals of the world. I'm a little nervous to see how that's going to play out.

gigarath24
captain of 100

Post by gigarath24 »

I am told that I will be a leader in both the world of business and of my fellow saints. Furthermore, I am blessed with talent of completing missionary work for the deceased. I am given the blessing of a strong testimony, not of words but of the spirit and feelings of my heart, I will know how to best serve the less fortunate and imprisoned people.

My Patriarchal blessing is 4 and a half pages long.

MMbelieve
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by MMbelieve »

gigarath24 wrote: January 14th, 2019, 11:10 pm I am told that I will be a leader in both the world of business and of my fellow saints. Furthermore, I am blessed with talent of completing missionary work for the deceased. I am given the blessing of a strong testimony, not of words but of the spirit and feelings of my heart, I will know how to best serve the less fortunate and imprisoned people.

My Patriarchal blessing is 4 and a half pages long.
Nice, 4.5 pages! I thought mine was long being over 2 pages.
Last edited by MMbelieve on January 15th, 2019, 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

drtanner
captain of 1,000

Post by drtanner »

Just a reminder, as you read the blessings of the early saints. Some accomplished far more, some far less, some of those I’m sure spanning to the spirit world.

Also probably a good caution to selectively share as authorized by the spirit the sacred bits of revelation to you personally.

Dusty52
captain of 100

Post by Dusty52 »

drtanner wrote: January 15th, 2019, 12:09 am
Also probably a good caution to selectively share as authorized by the spirit the sacred bits of revelation to you personally.
You raise a good point here, well worth considering before posting

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

In 1963, while an apostle, Spencer W. Kimball said:
“I’ve known people who have been promised in their patriarchal blessings that they would live to see the temple built and some of them are dying and haven’t seen the temple built. Do you know why? In my estimation, the Lord’s time table is directed a good deal by us. We speed up the clock or we slow the hands down and we turn them back by our activities or our procrastinations. And do you know why I think people who are actually promised that they would live to see the temple built are dying before the completion of the temple? Because we haven’t converted the Indians in large enough numbers; never shall we go to Jackson County until we have converted and brought into this church great numbers of Lamanites. Now you just as well set that down as a basic fact.”–From a copy of the December 1963 talk obtained from President Kimball’s secretary as quoted in Book of Mormon Student Manual (Salt Lake City: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 2nd ed., 1981), 427-28

Dusty52
captain of 100

Post by Dusty52 »

Do our patriarchal blessings continue to be relevant after we die, or is it specifically for this this life only?

Aprhys
captain of 1,000

Post by Aprhys »

Mine repeatedly says that I should avoid the works of evil. My grandmothers said she would live until there were a million people in Cache Valkey Utah. WRONG! She died 25 years ago.

Dusty52
captain of 100

Post by Dusty52 »

Aprhys wrote: January 15th, 2019, 6:36 am Mine repeatedly says that I should avoid the works of evil. My grandmothers said she would live until there were a million people in Cache Valkey Utah. WRONG! She died 25 years ago.
Your comment about your grandmother raises an important issue, one concerning the authenticity and validity of her p/b
What does it mean if in your blessing it states something will happen and it doesn't occur?

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

It means the patriarch was wrong.

Dusty52
captain of 100

Post by Dusty52 »

marc wrote: January 15th, 2019, 8:25 am It means the patriarch was wrong.
How can he be wrong if he Is the mouthpiece for God?
If he's wrong in one thing he could be wrong in other things, where do you draw the line?
It draws into question every thing he says surely!

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

As of 2017, the population in Cache Valley is 124,438. It means the patriarch was wrong.

mirkwood
captain of 1,000

Post by mirkwood »

Yes my PB says cool stuff. No you don't need to know what.

passionflower
captain of 1,000

Post by passionflower »

Dusty52 wrote: January 15th, 2019, 5:27 am Do our patriarchal blessings continue to be relevant after we die, or is it specifically for this this life only?
They are absolutely relevant after we die, as well as beyond that point. I have seen and heard of patriarchal blessings with long beautiful promises regarding posterity to both a husband and wife who, in this life at least, were unable to have children.

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

Dusty52 wrote: January 15th, 2019, 8:41 am
marc wrote: January 15th, 2019, 8:25 am It means the patriarch was wrong.
How can he be wrong if he Is the mouthpiece for God?
If he's wrong in one thing he could be wrong in other things, where do you draw the line?
It draws into question every thing he says surely!
Indeed. But God doesn't take away someone's free agency as soon as they're set apart into a calling. There is not one single person immune from making mistakes in this church, as much as people want to believe otherwise.

Dusty52
captain of 100

Post by Dusty52 »

But with something so important as a p/b where people hang on every word spoken by the patriarch, a proviso should be spoken about with every candidate so they understand that not every word is from heavenly father!
The infallibility of our patriarchs, bishops and stake presidents should be spoken about and discussed more often in the church! After all they are only men at the end of the day!

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

IIRC, the patriarch changed four things in my child's blessing. I wonder if it was because it came out wrong, or because he thought it was too "different"...

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

Dusty52 wrote: January 15th, 2019, 12:20 pm But with something so important as a p/b where people hang on every word spoken by the patriarch, a proviso should be spoken about with every candidate so they understand that not every word is from heavenly father!
The infallibility of our patriarchs, bishops and stake presidents should be spoken about and discussed more often in the church! After all they are only men at the end of the day!
All of this is a part of the curriculum. Many of the tests we have in life will not be explicit, nobody will tell us we are being tested, and it will appear as normal. We may not even know, until much later, that we were being tested. There may not be any noticeable consequences either if we fail. Some things we can't be told. I mean, we can be told, but, human nature being what it is, some lessons we will only learn through experience.

Sometimes we can repeat a mistake over, and over, and over again until we finally realize our mistake and realizing this mistakes, leads us to knowing the truth.

Each individual, at the end of the day, will need to have their own oil, their own relationship with God/Spirit. We are each responsible to confirm with God that what we are being told is from Him.

-Finrock

Dusty52
captain of 100

Post by Dusty52 »

I like your outlook Finrock what you say seems to make sense, you seem to be on a different level of thinking to me, how did you get to where you are? Whats the formula?

Durzan
The Lord's Trusty Maverick

Post by Durzan »

Dusty52 wrote: January 15th, 2019, 1:19 pm I like your outlook Finrock what you say seems to make sense, you seem to be on a different level of thinking to me, how did you get to where you are? Whats the formula?
Thats the thing... there is no actual formula for it. Some people are naturally gifted with higher levels of thinking then others, some have to work a little bit to reach that level or higher, and still others have to work a lot just to get halfway to that level. No two people think, learn, or progress the same way.