POLL: What does the "thumbs up" on a comment mean to you?

This is the place where you can discuss things completely Off Topic.

POLL: What does the "thumbs up" button on comments mean to you?

I "like" you or your comment, I "agree with" you or your comment, "high-five!"/"Amen!"
61%
I don't necessarily "agree with" your comment but "thank you" anyway
32%
I disagree with your comment, but I like you as a person
2%
It doesn't mean anything, I press it indiscriminately
5%

Total votes: 84
Jesef
captain of 1,000

POLL: What does the "thumbs up" on a comment mean to you?

Post by Jesef »

Very curious how forum members use & interpret the "thumbs up" button available on comments. I've even given you the option of selecting 2 answers if you're a "sometimes it means this" (to you) or "sometimes I use it for that"...

To me, it has always meant the first option & I'm careful not to "thumbs up" comments that I fundamentally disagree with. Sometimes people follow-up a "thumbs up" with an explanation of what they really meant, but most often they don't so it's left to stand on its own.

If your most often meant option is not available, post a comment & I'll add it.

This is just for fun, but it's come to my attention that we don't all communicate the same way. There is a lot of "interpretation" going on - we don't know exactly what another person means sometimes but all we've got to go on here in the forum is people's words & their "thumbs up's".
Last edited by Jesef on January 12th, 2019, 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Re: POLL: What does the "thumbs up" on a comment mean to you?

Post by Alaris »

"you have tried to vote for too many options."

It can mean any of the first three to me.

Jesef
captain of 1,000

Post by Jesef »

Alaris wrote: January 12th, 2019, 11:51 am "you have tried to vote for too many options."

It can mean any of the first three to me.
Ok, try again, just upped the available options to 3. Good to know. I'm already learning something... And I think the results we'll end up with is what % of the time it means what (on average). Thanks.

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

For me, it is usually the first option.
Sometimes it is more like the second option: "I don't necessarily agree with you, but I appreciate that you told your honest opinion in a polite manner." This usually happens if there has been a back-and-forth discussion between me and another person.

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

Almost always option one but rarely option two within context.

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

Jesef wrote: January 12th, 2019, 11:48 am Very curious how forum members use & interpret the "thumbs up" button available on comments. I've even given you the option of selecting 2 answers if you're a "sometimes it means this" (to you) or "sometimes I use it for that"...

To me, it has always meant the first option & I'm careful not to "thumbs up" comments that I fundamentally disagree with. Sometimes people follow-up a "thumbs up" with an explanation of what they really meant, but most often they don't so it's left to stand on its own.

This is just for fun, but it's come to my attention that we don't all communicate the same way. There is a lot of "interpretation" going on - we don't know exactly what another person means sometimes but all we've got to go on here in the forum is people's words & their "thumbs up's".
I saw your argument on another thread regarding the 'thumbs up button'. I don't think you can expect to be able to understand all the reasons why someone will give a 'like' to a post--there are many reasons. Given this, I don't think you should try to divine why someone has given a 'like' or insist that others must use the 'button' the same way you do. Maybe don't stress too much over it. :)

I would say that for myself, most of the time, I use it to show my 'agreement' with what has been expressed, but on threads that I have started, I have 'liked' all the posts(unless it's a troll post) that have been shared--as a 'thank you' for their participation. On a couple of rare occasions, I've 'liked' posts that I didn't actually agree with, because I felt that person was extremely upset with me and I didn't want to escalate a possible feud. So...different reasons for using the same option--because we only have one option. :)

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

I find option 4 intriguing. Maybe I should try doing that. :)

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

AI2.0 wrote: January 12th, 2019, 12:45 pm I find option 4 intriguing. Maybe I should try doing that. :)
My like of this was option 1 - lol :)

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

AI2.0 wrote: January 12th, 2019, 12:43 pm
Jesef wrote: January 12th, 2019, 11:48 am Very curious how forum members use & interpret the "thumbs up" button available on comments. I've even given you the option of selecting 2 answers if you're a "sometimes it means this" (to you) or "sometimes I use it for that"...

I saw your argument on another thread regarding the 'thumbs up button'. I don't think you can expect to be able to understand all the reasons why someone will give a 'like' to a post--there are many reasons. Given this, I don't think you should try to divine why someone has given a 'like' or insist that others must use the 'button' the same way you do. Maybe don't stress too much over it. :)

I would say that for myself, most of the time, I use it to show my 'agreement' with what has been expressed, but on threads that I have started, I have 'liked' all the posts(unless it's a troll post) that have been shared--as a 'thank you' for their participation. On a couple of rare occasions, I've 'liked' posts that I didn't actually agree with, because I felt that person was extremely upset with me and I didn't want to escalate a possible feud. So...different reasons for using the same option--because we only have one option. :)
I may or may not have just barely passed judgment on why a post was liked in another thread. Woopsie! Off to edit...

Jesef
captain of 1,000

Post by Jesef »

I'm finding people's use of options 2 & 3 very interesting. It's a "thumbs up" folks! In music, on Instagram, in sign language, it means "Agree"/"Like"/"Vote for". I'm not telling you what to mean, but this sure explains a lot of misinterpretation on my part (& many others I've seen who assumed "thumbs up" meant "I like" the comment/content itself). We all like each other as people, right? Why do we need to affirm we "like" the person, even if we fundamentally disagree with what they said? Maybe just say that in a comment or a PM?

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

AI2.0 wrote: January 12th, 2019, 12:43 pm

I'm sure I've been wrong now and then but I feel like I generally understand why a person has liked my comment. Sometimes I'll say to myself, "Why'd they like my comment?", but even then I can usually figure it out in context.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

I didn't vote, but I typically thank a post when I am grateful for a meaningful submission or sometimes simply to acknowledge someone who has addressed me.

Craig Johnson
captain of 1,000

Post by Craig Johnson »

To me it means, "I am sending you a dopamine rush."

Jesef
captain of 1,000

Post by Jesef »

That is hilarious, CJ.

I am learning quite a bit here, about how wrong I've been in some of my assumptions. Almost as many people mean #2 [I don't necessarily "agree with" your comment but "thank you" anyway] as #1. I will definitely try to be more careful in how I interpret "thumbs up" here on LDSFF!

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

I can think of maybe a dozen times at most in 13 years here on the forum that I've agreed with literally everything/every word someone has said in a particular post. 99.9% of the time I give a 'thanks' it's because I agree with some/most of what they've said. Again, it's very rarely everything or every word. Sometimes what they've said makes me laugh, which will usually warrant a 'thanks' from me, as well. Maybe if we didn't stick people into little boxes of what we think they are like, some of the 'thanks' given would be better understood. For example, I might disagree with a particular person's views almost all the time on most topics - but then they'll say something that I totally agree with, and I will thank them (which may surprise them, as they assume I disagree with them on everything, which isn't true). It may 'appear' contradictory, but it's not at all. Boxes should be done away with. Anyway, the forum was a much better place before Brian brought the 'thanks' button into being, IMO.

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

When people quote me, the threshold to push 'thumbs up' is lower than usual. Then 'thumbs up' means "I'm glad that you found value in something I wrote. I might not feel strongly about what you just wrote, but I'm glad that my words were useful for you."

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

EmmaLee wrote: January 12th, 2019, 2:44 pm Sometimes what they've said makes me laugh, which will usually warrant a 'thanks' from me, as well.
This is definitely its own category for 'thumbs up'. Many of us do this.

Craig Johnson
captain of 1,000

Post by Craig Johnson »

Jesef wrote: January 12th, 2019, 2:28 pm That is hilarious, CJ.

I am learning quite a bit here, about how wrong I've been in some of my assumptions. Almost as many people mean #2 [I don't necessarily "agree with" your comment but "thank you" anyway] as #1. I will definitely try to be more careful in how I interpret "thumbs up" here on LDSFF!
Of course, I don't mean that is bad, depending on the context. When we get addicted to getting and giving those it seems (to me) to take a priority over objectivity. That is just my view. It is also why I tend to avoid them when I should probably be sending them out a lot more as an encouragement for the many excellent posts that I read.

Jesef
captain of 1,000

Post by Jesef »

I didn't think of that, Craig - that's a good point. And I've seen that be a really big thing on Instagram, Facebook, & other "like" platforms.

Craig Johnson
captain of 1,000

Post by Craig Johnson »

Jesef wrote: January 12th, 2019, 2:57 pm I didn't think of that, Craig - that's a good point. And I've seen that be a really big thing on Instagram, Facebook, & other "like" platforms.
Yeah and a really big deal on Twitter too, people actually campaign for them.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

I learned something, or some other reason. Image

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

I got it for the first two reasons, plus there are two more reasons I hit it:
I agree with part of your post.
I want you to know I read your comment and am choosing not to reply.

Jesef
captain of 1,000

Post by Jesef »

Thanks, Meili. I think #2 can mean the "partial agreement" one as well. The "I read your comment & am choosing not to reply" is a new one!

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

EmmaLee wrote: January 12th, 2019, 2:44 pm I can think of maybe a dozen times at most in 13 years here on the forum that I've agreed with literally everything/every word someone has said in a particular post. 99.9% of the time I give a 'thanks' it's because I agree with some/most of what they've said. Again, it's very rarely everything or every word. Sometimes what they've said makes me laugh, which will usually warrant a 'thanks' from me, as well. Maybe if we didn't stick people into little boxes of what we think they are like, some of the 'thanks' given would be better understood. For example, I might disagree with a particular person's views almost all the time on most topics - but then they'll say something that I totally agree with, and I will thank them (which may surprise them, as they assume I disagree with them on everything, which isn't true). It may 'appear' contradictory, but it's not at all. Boxes should be done away with. Anyway, the forum was a much better place before Brian brought the 'thanks' button into being, IMO.
Before that people just quoted the post they liked and said, "+1" or some variation of that.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

SmallFarm wrote: January 12th, 2019, 4:03 pm
EmmaLee wrote: January 12th, 2019, 2:44 pm Anyway, the forum was a much better place before Brian brought the 'thanks' button into being, IMO.
Before that people just quoted the post they liked and said, "+1" or some variation of that.
Yep, that was pretty common back in the day.