Beautiful Places to Visit

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Beautiful Places to Visit

Post by Thinker »

BeNotDeceived wrote: January 7th, 2021, 7:57 pm Isle of Man.

:idea: Isle vs Island; what's the difference, anyone?
Skip down the airplane isle (nope it’s “aisle“) to get to manx, wallabies, motorcycle races & see the northern lights on island of mankind. :P

Aisle (sounds like isle) on island...

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

St Lucia in the Caribbean seems to have a lot - hiking and beach stuff… seems beautiful.

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

Southern Utah red rocks - this is Pioneer Park in St. George, but it looks like this all over. You're all welcome to visit - we'll give you a tour and show you some amazing places here they hope people don't notice ;)
Attachments
e4e7ca6efc77af6d.jpeg
e4e7ca6efc77af6d.jpeg (433.2 KiB) Viewed 460 times

FoundMyEden
captain of 1,000

Post by FoundMyEden »

Love it!

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

FoxMammaWisdom wrote: November 26th, 2022, 2:27 pm Southern Utah red rocks - this is Pioneer Park in St. George, but it looks like this all over. You're all welcome to visit - we'll give you a tour and show you some amazing places here they hope people don't notice ;)
I used to wheel the Land Cruisers a few times a year down there in the desert and slick rock. It's such a beautiful part of our country. I love the high altitude desert we have here👍
While we'd be down there wheeling, we would always be trying to figure out a way to move down there..... Memories 😁😁

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder & may be appreciated most when it’s lack has been experienced for so long. Eg., One summer, I worked in a beautiful National Park, which I enjoyed. But since it had been so long since I’d been to the city, when I did, I was impressed by its different kind of beauty.

Unlandscaped land has its own beauty.

Eg:
Sierra Leone

This gutsy woman travels by motorcycle…

Hiker
captain of 100

Post by Hiker »

xx20220514_132517.jpg
xx20220514_132517.jpg (389.72 KiB) Viewed 334 times
Ancient temple in Thailand

I love learning about the past, ancient ruins, ancient civilizations. This is the first place I went to after the COVID situation.
2023-08-26_111936.png
2023-08-26_111936.png (100.09 KiB) Viewed 334 times

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

Why can I not embed YouTube videos anymore???????

Seed Starter
captain of 1,000

Post by Seed Starter »

Great posts everyone! I would love to visit New Caledonia and the Isle of Pines specifically east of Australia.
Tropical locations with pine trees is pretty cool. I also think this is so far off the map for most people and extremely costly to get there from the USA that I don't think it gets a ton of tourist traffic. They speak French there mainly. I will get there someday ;)

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

I find Utah a beautiful place to visit. Spent the past week in the mountains (Uintas, Wasatch) 7000 to 9500 feet up, it was very beautiful. Would be hard for me to live in Utah, but nice to visit. Same with SoCal.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Been to and enjoyed
helambu-trek.webp
helambu-trek.webp (125.66 KiB) Viewed 305 times
Helambu in Nepal
The South Island of New Zealand
The Greek Islands
Samoa

Once you've visited the Himalayas all other mountains seem small by comparison.

Would like to visit
South America, especially Chile and Argentina
Petra in Jordan
Russia (although obvious problems are a deterrent)
Finland

Alas I hate flying these days. International airports seem to be the test beds for the ugliest and most authoritarian policies worldwide. I am not comfortable in them for a variety of reasons.

MikeMaillet
captain of 1,000

Post by MikeMaillet »

It is truly amazing the beauty that can be found and experienced in so many of the earth's areas and seasons. I grew up in a small village in northern Ontario where all of your buddies' dads worked in the mines, just like your dad. Pollution from the several smelters had a devastating effect on the terrain after about 75 years of operation. The photo below looks like it may have been taken walking distance from my home. But you know, as a child I thought I was in heaven. You and your pals could walk and climb rocks for miles and not be encumbered by thick forest. There were plenty of blueberries to eat along the way and every day was an adventure. It was impossible to get lost because of the tall smelter chimneys that could be seen for miles around and that served as a beacon. Our parents never worried too much because we travelled in packs like a bunch of canines and could look after each other.

Everything has been re-greened over there and the landscape in which I grew up no longer exists. If I had the choice of visiting some of the cool spots of the earth or reliving one of those warm summer days from 1967 with my friends, climbing rocks and being amazed by finding clumps of "bear poo" near the blueberry bushes, that this would be a difficult choice.

Mike
Attachments
Sudbury.jpeg
Sudbury.jpeg (222.85 KiB) Viewed 301 times

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Seed Starter wrote: August 26th, 2023, 2:57 pm Great posts everyone! I would love to visit New Caledonia and the Isle of Pines specifically east of Australia.
Tropical locations with pine trees is pretty cool. I also think this is so far off the map for most people and extremely costly to get there from the USA that I don't think it gets a ton of tourist traffic. They speak French there mainly. I will get there someday ;)
I'm a big fan of tree ferns, but I think they are all native to the southern hemisphere. You don't get them growing wild elsewhere as far as I know. New Zealand and Tasmania have miles of lush tree fern bush... often topped by other bigger species of trees.

I have camped out in some of these places. They tend to be very damp, much like the Pacific North West. The tree ferns produce a kind of scratchy hair bark (if you can call it that) which can be rough and irritating, but they also tend to muffle sound so tree fern thickets tend to be very peaceful places.
Attachments
ATDW_Extra_Large_Landscape__9119831_TTAS__DSC5546EditEditEdit_i4j57wk.jpg
ATDW_Extra_Large_Landscape__9119831_TTAS__DSC5546EditEditEdit_i4j57wk.jpg (111.91 KiB) Viewed 294 times

Seed Starter
captain of 1,000

Post by Seed Starter »

Niemand wrote: August 27th, 2023, 5:56 am
Seed Starter wrote: August 26th, 2023, 2:57 pm Great posts everyone! I would love to visit New Caledonia and the Isle of Pines specifically east of Australia.
I'm a big fan of tree ferns, but I think they are all native to the southern hemisphere. You don't get them growing wild elsewhere as far as I know. New Zealand and Tasmania have miles of lush tree fern bush... often topped by other bigger species of trees.

I have camped out in some of these places. They tend to be very damp, much like the Pacific North West. The tree ferns produce a kind of scratchy hair bark (if you can call it that) which can be rough and irritating, but they also tend to muffle sound so tree fern thickets tend to be very peaceful places.
I think those may be Dicksonia Antarctica:

They are beautiful and that is a forest I'd love to visit. I read about DA a while ago researching a short story. I needed a very large prehistoric fern tree. Apparently the DA can get to 15 meters! In your picture I expect to see foot long dragon flies buzzing around. What brought you so far south?

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Seed Starter wrote: August 27th, 2023, 11:10 pm
Niemand wrote: August 27th, 2023, 5:56 am

I think those may be Dicksonia Antarctica:

They are beautiful and that is a forest I'd love to visit. I read about DA a while ago researching a short story. I needed a very large prehistoric fern tree. Apparently the DA can get to 15 meters! In your picture I expect to see foot long dragon flies buzzing around. What brought you so far south?
I wanted to see Australia and New Zealand. Back then I had the time and money to do so. I have little patience with airports now, and I hate what has happened to these countries recently.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Yesterday, someone suggested this area in Argentina which is close to Chile.

CIUDAD DE BARILOCHE,PROVINCIA DE RIO NEGRO ARGENTINA.. seems beautiful!

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

Culebra -5.jpg
Culebra -5.jpg (65.21 KiB) Viewed 236 times
Culebra PR ~ Very happy that we were able to go twice before my husband's Parkinson's became too much for us to travel. We were told about this little gem by my husband's surgeon. He was on the PR Olympic row team.

There are no hotels and only a handful of restaurants. The people are amazingly accommodating. Our host took us around the island and made certain we were well taken care of. It is hard to beat laying in a hammock and listening to waves . Added bonus was the weather in January!

We would go again if my husband could handle the stress of travelling there.
Culebra -4.jpeg
Culebra -4.jpeg (844.87 KiB) Viewed 236 times
View from the deck, where we would often sleep at night.

(Villa Tampico)

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Thinker wrote: September 22nd, 2018, 1:25 pm
BeNotDeceived wrote: September 22nd, 2018, 10:18 am Image
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/04/saipan_n_4603094.html wrote:
The Most Beautiful Place In America You’ve Never Heard Of
Huff-po says so. :D
Wow - I also didn’t know it existed. And looks are often deceiving.
It reminds me of how so much depends on your state of mind and who you’re with more than where you are. At times I’ve been in the most beautiful place but the people around had negative vibes - and other times I’ve been in ghetto areas but the people I was with made it some of my best memories.
Weird going to the dentist today on 557 Alaska Street across from the hotel where we stayed in room 308 while we closed on our North facing house in Palmer AK. Dentist dude had spent a few months on Saipan treating Japanese prisoners in the late 80s. I never knew they kept prisoners there.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Thinker wrote: February 21st, 2024, 9:14 am Yesterday, someone suggested this area in Argentina which is close to Chile.

CIUDAD DE BARILOCHE,PROVINCIA DE RIO NEGRO ARGENTINA.. seems beautiful!
The pictures of Bariloche I've seen have indeed been beautiful but I'm mainly aware of it as the place that it is claimed Hitler fled.

BigT
captain of 100

Post by BigT »

cf720b7bab5d46af86d35b2ce8cb1cc1.jpeg
cf720b7bab5d46af86d35b2ce8cb1cc1.jpeg (846.44 KiB) Viewed 158 times
We’ve enjoyed several trips to Florida, here Clearwater Beach. Very touristy but if you’re lucky you can see one of God’s most beautiful paintings, at sunset.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

marc wrote: February 23rd, 2024, 6:26 pm [youtube]4PnJlGb9L2o[/]
Beautiful!
The beginning of it reminded me of bridal veil falls up Provo canyon in Utah. So beautiful! Mountains to me, remind me of the great majesty of God. From certain views on a partly cloudy day, mountains can look as if they are going up to the heavens, never-ending!