Beautiful Places to Visit

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Beautiful Places to Visit

Post by Thinker »

The next best thing to travelling is thinking about traveling. Traveling to new places helps me keep close to God by enjoying new experiences and people - which often requires active faith. Having a goal to work toward like a fun vacation, makes working and saving feel easier. As a family, we went across many states in the US and I’ve visited other countries and have gained appreciation for other ways of doing things, and how much this world and people in it have to offer!

I thought we could share places we’ve been or would like to go, to keep dreams alive and maybe inspire some in each other! :)
Please share:

1) A picture of the place
2) The name of the place
3) Why you like it.

I’ll start...

^Lake Tahoe, on the border of Nevada and California, USA
I like it because it’s where we went on a family trip when I was a child - good memories! And I love the beautiful tall trees around the lake.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Re: Beautiful Places to Visit

Post by brianj »

The Cape of Good Hope.

I want to see it from this perspective because it represents a dream I have had for most of my life, that has been denied me for most of my life. A dream of adventure, exploration, and seeing the world. I want to sail around the world.

I saw a seaworthy sailboat for sale at a good price in Racine, Wisconsin last spring. If I could have afforded it I would have bought the boat, spent the summer getting to know her, adding necessities such as wind vane steering and a desalinator and getting to know her over the summer, sailed to Chicago in late August or September and had the mast pulled, motored down the waterways to Mobile where the mast would be stepped, then Key West, the Dry Tortugas, Havana, Cancun, Caracas, and the San Blas Islands before hitting the Panama Canal. If winds were favorable visit the Galapagos, if not go straight to the Marquesas then island hop across the Pacific to Australia and the Indian Ocean to South Africa. After rounding the Cape of Good Hope head to Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha then Ascension Island before crossing to Brazil, probably Natal. Cruise the coast to Georgetown, Guyana then hop to Greneda. Follow the Windward and Leeward Islands to Hispaniola, cross to Turks and Caicos, explore the Bahamas, and make my way back to Key West to complete a circumnavigation. From there, who knows.

ElizaRSkousen
captain of 100

Post by ElizaRSkousen »

I went to Germany 3 years ago. It was so green and so beautiful and peaceful. Neuschwanstein Castle Was really wonderful too. The little villages seemed to be back in time. Here is a photo I took.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

tofino, BC.jpg
tofino, BC.jpg (53.03 KiB) Viewed 1364 times
Tofino, BC
I served my mission in British Columbia. While serving in Nanaimo, a member drove us across the island to Tofino. It was beautiful but obviously we couldn't get in the water. A few years later my wife and I went there on vacation. I could get into the water but it was freezing.

Tbone
captain of 100

Post by Tbone »

Lisbon is amazing. We got into the water in Estoril, and they must share the same water from British Columbia. Holy moly that water was cold...
facebook_1536773223832.jpg
facebook_1536773223832.jpg (61.74 KiB) Viewed 1355 times
Rome is incredible as well, but I wouldn't get near the water from the Tiber River.
Rome.jpg
Rome.jpg (1.67 MiB) Viewed 1355 times

Tbone
captain of 100

Post by Tbone »

Here's a view of Naples from Mount Vesuvius. The hike to the crater is pretty comparable to climbing to the Y.
The attachment Naples from Vesuvius.jpg is no longer available
Naples from Vesuvius.jpg
Naples from Vesuvius.jpg (286.4 KiB) Viewed 1349 times

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Thanks for the great replies! I’m enjoying this!

Brian,
Cool idea to sail around! There’s something about being out on the water - inspiring and makes you realize how big this world is! I know this is a much smaller idea but more convenient... recently I went with a friend who rented a boat out on UT Lake - it was just for an hour - but it was so fun! Have you done anything like that?

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

ElizaRSkousen,
How beautiful! It looks like Switzerland - I guess Germany has some mountainous areas too. How cool to see a castle and feel a sense of going back in time. I went to Germany - Munich (city only) and Frankfurt - and I loved Heidelberg and walking in the country and along the Rhine river. There were cute shops - especially a Christmas shop.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Shadow,
Looks like an amazing area - beautiful islands close to mountains. Seems like there would be a lot to see and do in that general area (with a boat or plane ride).

I’ve heard that Butchart Gardens in Victoria BC is nice... and Cape Flattery Olympic National Park (WA) is beautiful... Some day...

I lived in WA and enjoyed Mt. Rainier - it seemed that the drive up had more waterfalls than the hikes.
Myrtal Falls, Mt. Rainer National Park:

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

TBone,
Lisbon looks nice. And I wanted to go to Naples, but we only had time for Milan and Rome. Since we didn’t have time to stay at a Mediterranean beach, I searched and found a nice one outside of Rome called Santa Marinella to which we took a day trip. Most of the beach you need to reserve but there’s a section that is free.

Milan’s Duomo Cathedral was amazing! It took 579 years to build! They finished in 1965. “At last count there are more statues Milan’s Duomo than any other building in the world: 3,400 statues, 135 gargoyles and 700 figures!”

Tbone
captain of 100

Post by Tbone »

Thinker wrote: September 13th, 2018, 8:13 am TBone,
Lisbon looks nice. And I wanted to go to Naples, but we only had time for Milan and Rome. Since we didn’t have time to stay at a Mediterranean beach, I searched and found a nice one outside of Rome called Santa Marinella to which we took a day trip. Most of the beach you need to reserve but there’s a section that is free.

Milan’s Duomo Cathedral was amazing! It took 579 years to build! They finished in 1965. “At last count there are more statues Milan’s Duomo than any other building in the world: 3,400 statues, 135 gargoyles and 700 figures!”

We were only in Italy for a few days. We usually try to go to a beach, but instead we found a nice day trip tour with City Wonders that went to Pompeii and then for a hike to the crater of Mount Vesuvius. A few days IS NOT enough time to even be in Rome much less two cities in Italy.

Lisbon is really cool. It's a bit more dirty than your typical touristy European city, but I kind of like that about it. We were only in Lisbon for a day and really only got to ride Street Car/Tram 28 to the castle, which was awesome. Oh, and I can't forget about Pasteis de Belem. Total tourist trap, but worth it.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

brianj wrote: September 11th, 2018, 8:17 pm Image

The Cape of Good Hope.

I want to see it from this perspective because it represents a dream I have had for most of my life, that has been denied me for most of my life. A dream of adventure, exploration, and seeing the world. I want to sail around the world.

I saw a seaworthy sailboat for sale at a good price in Racine, Wisconsin last spring. If I could have afforded it I would have bought the boat, spent the summer getting to know her, adding necessities such as wind vane steering and a desalinator and getting to know her over the summer, sailed to Chicago in late August or September and had the mast pulled, motored down the waterways to Mobile where the mast would be stepped, then Key West, the Dry Tortugas, Havana, Cancun, Caracas, and the San Blas Islands before hitting the Panama Canal. If winds were favorable visit the Galapagos, if not go straight to the Marquesas then island hop across the Pacific to Australia and the Indian Ocean to South Africa. After rounding the Cape of Good Hope head to Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha then Ascension Island before crossing to Brazil, probably Natal. Cruise the coast to Georgetown, Guyana then hop to Greneda. Follow the Windward and Leeward Islands to Hispaniola, cross to Turks and Caicos, explore the Bahamas, and make my way back to Key West to complete a circumnavigation. From there, who knows.

Brian
Many of us have had the dream, wish, desire, fantasy or whatever about sailing around the world for our entire lives. And we read the books too, from Joshua Slocum thru' Doge Morgan (forgettable), and seen the videos, etc.
And some of us, myself included have gone out and done some of the sailing and cruising. I have on my own boats, and on other peoples boats in various oceans; never enough of course, and never all the way around.

Look for SV Delos and Sailing LaVagabonde. first, two Americans, then two Australians. They sort of fulfilled the dream/etc by making a lifestyle and career of it, and have been at it many years, even tho' still young.
dc

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

shadow wrote: September 12th, 2018, 10:58 am tofino, BC.jpg

Tofino, BC
I served my mission in British Columbia. While serving in Nanaimo, a member drove us across the island to Tofino. It was beautiful but obviously we couldn't get in the water. A few years later my wife and I went there on vacation. I could get into the water but it was freezing.
I used to live in Bellingham, a few miles past the southern end of your mission, and I did some diving in Puget Sound, Whidbey Island, and the San Juan Islands. I wouldn't want to go into the water without a thick wetsuit and I wouldn't want to go deeper than 20 or 30 feet without a drysuit.

The last time I dove the San Juan Islands I thought I had decompression sickness afterward. It turned out to be mild hypothermia.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Thinker wrote: September 13th, 2018, 7:10 am Thanks for the great replies! I’m enjoying this!

Brian,
Cool idea to sail around! There’s something about being out on the water - inspiring and makes you realize how big this world is! I know this is a much smaller idea but more convenient... recently I went with a friend who rented a boat out on UT Lake - it was just for an hour - but it was so fun! Have you done anything like that?

Sunfish! You have four Sunfish in that picture! I learned to sail on a Sunfish.

I went out two or three times with the Utah Lake Yacht Club last year on their Catalina 22 but the divorce was costing so much money that I couldn't afford to join at that time. Child support and the high cost of visitation made joining this year a no-go. But next year I plan to join them. I would love to get checked out in both their LIdo 14 and C 22. Hopefully by the following year I'll have my own boat.

Unfortunately they don't have a tiller pilot on their Catalina. I would love to get out there alone, set the autopilot, set the sails, then relax and enjoy the lake. Life feels like it makes more sense on the water.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

David13 wrote: September 13th, 2018, 8:13 pm
brianj wrote: September 11th, 2018, 8:17 pm Image

The Cape of Good Hope.

Brian
Many of us have had the dream, wish, desire, fantasy or whatever about sailing around the world for our entire lives. And we read the books too, from Joshua Slocum thru' Doge Morgan (forgettable), and seen the videos, etc.
And some of us, myself included have gone out and done some of the sailing and cruising. I have on my own boats, and on other peoples boats in various oceans; never enough of course, and never all the way around.

Look for SV Delos and Sailing LaVagabonde. first, two Americans, then two Australians. They sort of fulfilled the dream/etc by making a lifestyle and career of it, and have been at it many years, even tho' still young.
dc
The Delos crew doesn't really excite me, but I've been following Riley and Eleyna since they had their Beneteau. I was pleased to see them get an Outremer. Lagoon seems to be the biggest name in the North American cat market but I also liked the Seawind and Fountaine Pajot models but was interested in the Outremer. After Riley and Eleyna's videos, if I could afford a cat I would want to check out the Fountaine Pajot Lucia 40 and Astréa 42 as well as the Outremer 45. I really like the second helm with a tiller on the Outremer and haven't seen it elsewhere, but I would prefer something 40 feet or smaller - which Outremer doesn't make.

I have also been watching Shaggy Seas since the beginning, a married couple named John and Julie who bought a Catalina 36 in Seabrook, Texas, fixed her up, motored her along the Gulf ICW to Key West, then motor sailed to the Bahamas for a few months of sailing before returning to the Bahamas.

Sailing Soulianis did much of what I want to do in my short objective. If I had the money I would have been competing with them to buy a Tartan 37 that was for sale in Wisconsin a year and a half ago! They took it down the Tenn-Tom then to the Bahamas.

Finding Avalon has been fun, an Aussie couple who bought a boat in Croatia and are starting a journey across the Atlantic, Caribbean, and Pacific to Avalon Beach, NSW.

Tula's Endless Summer is another good one. But Riley and Eleyna are the only ones who regularly teach about sailing in their videos.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

brianj wrote: September 13th, 2018, 8:50 pm

Tula's Endless Summer is another good one. But Riley and Eleyna are the only ones who regularly teach about sailing in their videos.

I was usually, as were those who's crew I adopted into a leisure sailor. So the round the world idea was mostly out, but with casual sailing it is just fun and convenience.
No inconvenience basically. Fair weather sailors. But I think we all kept the idea of all the way around in our heads. Just we did it just a little at a time. Which, actually is common. A lot of them stop and leave the boat, and return home for a while.
dc

I think one thing I remembered with Delos was, if you are going to do it, just go and do it. And let the pieces fall into place as it goes. The worst that happens is that you come to a point where ... you just have to wait.
That was what finally triggered my move to Utah, which I am happy with. Totally.

JamesBews
captain of 50

Post by JamesBews »

Dunnottar Castle, Aberdeenshire Scotland.

I grew up 10 mins from here and although there are many Castles and beautiful places in the area, nothing could beat this for me. Great memories, great history, great view!

Attachments
23192751682_def7aaf9f8_b.jpg
23192751682_def7aaf9f8_b.jpg (303.39 KiB) Viewed 1109 times

True
captain of 100

Post by True »

JamesBews wrote: September 14th, 2018, 6:32 pm Dunnottar Castle, Aberdeenshire Scotland.

I grew up 10 mins from here and although there are many Castles and beautiful places in the area, nothing could beat this for me. Great memories, great history, great view!

I have been to Dunnottar Castle twice. My husband served his mission in Scotland so we have been back to visit. So awesome. I really liked the little castle in Huntley bc it was restored somewhat and gave you an idea of what it was like.
My husband’s ggg grandfather joined the church in Kirkintilloch and emigrated to the US. Love, love, love Scotland!!

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

I’d often seen pictures of beautiful aqual water and white sandy beaches - but I thought they looked too good to be true until I visited St. Maarten in the Caribbean. And what I especially enjoyed was that we visited people we knew there and got to experience the locals more than the touristy facade.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/04/saipan_n_4603094.html wrote:
The Most Beautiful Place In America You’ve Never Heard Of

Huff-po says so. :D

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

BeNotDeceived wrote: September 22nd, 2018, 10:18 am Image
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/04/saipan_n_4603094.html wrote:
The Most Beautiful Place In America You’ve Never Heard Of
Huff-po says so. :D
Wow - I also didn’t know it existed. And looks are often deceiving.
It reminds me of how so much depends on your state of mind and who you’re with more than where you are. At times I’ve been in the most beautiful place but the people around had negative vibes - and other times I’ve been in ghetto areas but the people I was with made it some of my best memories.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

One of my favorite dreams was flying... This video shows the ocean, mountains, desert and other places. It reminds me that that we live in a beautifully diverse world.

Contemplator
captain of 100

Post by Contemplator »

Lake Powell has been a favorite for our family year after year. Mornings and evenings are spectacular and the lake is fun to explore.

Zion Canyon is spectacular with many beautiful hikes.

A favorite for solo trail runs is the mountains above my home in Utah.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Contemplator wrote: October 3rd, 2018, 5:26 pmZion Canyon is spectacular with many beautiful hikes.
It is amazing! Angel’s landing is an appropriate name...

Austria - seems so many beautiful hills & mountains to explore...

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

True wrote: September 14th, 2018, 7:34 pm I have been to Dunnottar Castle twice. My husband served his mission in Scotland so we have been back to visit. So awesome. I really liked the little castle in Huntley bc it was restored somewhat and gave you an idea of what it was like.
My husband’s ggg grandfather joined the church in Kirkintilloch and emigrated to the US. Love, love, love Scotland!!
So True! :P

ggs phonetically, is Gs-S. 8-)

My middle initial is off by one character.

An interesting question may be:
How many Gs are appropriate for a child today, that is a descendant of Jesus?

Recently an awesome type narrator signed on to marry a Scotsman, and her mom posted some incredible pics from the Isle of Man.

:idea: Isle vs Island; what's the difference, anyone?