General Advice to Forum Members

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Durzan
The Lord's Trusty Maverick

Re: General Advice to Forum Members

Post by Durzan »

NIGHTLIGHT wrote: September 5th, 2019, 8:13 am
righteousrepublic wrote: July 30th, 2019, 12:53 am
lundbaek wrote: July 29th, 2019, 9:07 pm I also advise considering a statement by President Russell M. Nelson in the April 2018 General Conference: "My beloved brothers and sisters, I plead with you to increase your spiritual capacity to receive revelation. ... In coming days, it will not be possible to survive without the guiding, directing, comforting, and constant influence of the Holy Ghost.”
Is this statement a blanket statement for all members and society in general? If so, where do those suffering from anxiety, depression, PTSD or mental defects fit in? Or do they check out due to frustration and being a nervous wreck? I'm not to sure I like this claim. In other words, where exists the much needed hope for the less than "normal" folks?
Jesus didnt come saying "follow me...unless you suffer from anxiety, depression, ptsd etc... if you have that, just do you...."

It's aginst the doctrine of Jesus Christ to claim otherwise
Strawman.

President Nelson said nothing about PTSD, Mental Defects, anxiety, or depression in that quote. Nor would it necessarily prevent you from receiving the Holy Spirit if you are. All mankind is able to receive the influence of the spirit, but it is up to them to do so.

Arguably, those who do not have the capacity to receive revelation will be more at risk to suffer from those afflictions than otherwise, making it increasingly harder to survive. At some point, having the spirit there to uplift you and compensate for those afflictions may be the difference between life and death.

righteousrepublic
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by righteousrepublic »

Durzan wrote: September 12th, 2019, 8:33 am
lundbaek wrote: July 29th, 2019, 9:07 pm I also advise considering a statement by President Russell M. Nelson in the April 2018 General Conference: "My beloved brothers and sisters, I plead with you to increase your spiritual capacity to receive revelation. ... In coming days, it will not be possible to survive without the guiding, directing, comforting, and constant influence of the Holy Ghost.”
Is this statement a blanket statement for all members and society in general? If so, where do those suffering from anxiety, depression, PTSD or mental defects fit in? Or do they check out due to frustration and being a nervous wreck? I'm not to sure I like this claim. In other words, where exists the much needed hope for the less than "normal" folks?
Jesus didnt come saying "follow me...unless you suffer from anxiety, depression, ptsd etc... if you have that, just do you...."

Strawman.

President Nelson said nothing about PTSD, Mental Defects, anxiety, or depression in that quote. Nor would it necessarily prevent you from receiving the Holy Spirit if you are. All mankind is able to receive the influence of the spirit, but it is up to them to do so.

Arguably, those who do not have the capacity to receive revelation will be more at risk to suffer from those afflictions than otherwise, making it increasingly harder to survive. At some point, having the spirit there to uplift you and compensate for those afflictions may be the difference between life and death.
A strawman could be used as a pillow for the sick and weary.

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

Strawman.

No strawman...

Read again...

Edit: lol your post is actually the strawman

righteousrepublic
Level 34 Illuminated

NIGHTLIGHT wrote: September 12th, 2019, 12:29 pm

Strawman.

No strawman...

Read again...

Edit: lol your post is actually the strawman
I was being jocular...lighten up, no need to induce a conflict is there :?: :o

ParticleMan
captain of 100

Post by ParticleMan »

1. Know that there is a wide variety of forum member--not everyone believes what or lives like you do.

2. Know that you may find opinions or ideas that at no time have been official.

Having an idea or even an opinion that includes a little deduction, filling in the blanks, or speculation, is natural, and those based on personal revelation is sacred ground. Some like to discuss their ideas, beliefs, and convictions that may or may not be official doctrine.

Joseph Smith said, "I never hear of a man being damned for believing too much; but they are damned for unbelief" (TPJS 374).

That is, it would seem, unbelief in saving doctrines--and by extension, acting in faith according to those beliefs.

3. Know that some nit-pick over doctrines or principles but mostly over applications thereof.

Whether you agree or disagree on a particular application of a doctrine or principle doesn't ultimately matter. What matters is how you interact with others, especially with those who believe differently than you. Pride breeds contention, neither of which are welcomed here.

Rather than concern yourself with others' beliefs, consider where you stand, whether your convictions are founded on doctrines, principles, or applications. Among others, consider the talk by Ross Baron at 2018 BYU--Idaho Education Week, "Enhancing Your Scripture Study," which addresses this.

Sephiroth
captain of 1,000

Post by Sephiroth »

There are Democrat members of the church in good standing. Surprise shocker, I know.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

Lawrence Patton McDonald was a member of the United States House of Representatives, representing Georgia's 7th congressional district as a Democrat from 1975 until 1983, when he was presumed killed while a passenger on board Korean Air Lines Flight 007 when it was shot down by Soviet interceptors. Even though he was a Democrat, he espoused and fiercely upheld and defended the principles of the U.S. Constitution. The American Conservative Union gave him a perfect score of 100 every year he was in the House of Representatives, except in 1978, when he scored a 95. He also scored "perfect or near perfect ratings" on the congressional scorecards of the National Right to Life Committee, Gun Owners of America, and the American Security Council.[9] McDonald was referred to by The New American as "the leading anti-Communist in Congress". At the tine of his death he was National Chairman of the John Birch Society.

Sephiroth
captain of 1,000

Post by Sephiroth »

I think their should be a number tracker for thanks you receive under your profile page.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

tdj wrote: March 31st, 2019, 6:11 pm I should have read the part about not feeding trolls. I've been wasting my time on one for several days now :(
Trolls but not Neo is the one . :geek: dbnp

You know the drill by now recognize what makes for a valid tuple even without the comma because they staid home today . Funny that the Bible as originally written was without punctuation marks and the controversies created by the proper placement of a single comma .

LukeAir2008
captain of 1,000

Post by LukeAir2008 »

righteousrepublic wrote: July 3rd, 2019, 3:35 pm
evanssophiya wrote: July 3rd, 2019, 12:49 am Earlier there was a question "What does it mean to be apostale?"
May it should be discused on the other forums, not here. BUT If you really interested in , I foun more information on wikipedia
What is an apostale?
It’s when you’ve been an ‘apostate’ for a while and you’ve gone a bit ‘stale’.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Sephiroth wrote: April 7th, 2020, 1:15 am I think their should be a number tracker for thanks you receive under your profile page.
Perhaps a Neo Tracker that determines whose post rate is near unto ultimate unity.

Sephiroth
captain of 1,000

Post by Sephiroth »

BeNotDeceived wrote: April 7th, 2020, 1:54 am
Sephiroth wrote: April 7th, 2020, 1:15 am I think their should be a number tracker for thanks you receive under your profile page.
Perhaps a Neo Tracker that determines whose post rate is near unto ultimate unity.
That'd be cool.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Sephiroth wrote: April 7th, 2020, 2:13 am
That'd be cool.
The reigning Neo’s currently hiding out but I’m onto him and fiendishly posting like a mad man

striving for 99 rhymes even :lol:

99% of 1 that is

Leaving the commas home in quarantine actually helps in my diabolical plan to rule and reign.

0.99 doth draw near 8-)

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Sephiroth wrote: April 7th, 2020, 2:13 am
That'd be cool.
Do you think Chevrolet would sign off on the deal , or just go for it and worry about copyright infringement later ?

Me commas got out of quarantine today :mrgreen:

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

General Advice ...

Post by BeNotDeceived »

One, to track thanks giving too. :P

Oh wait, we have calendars based on movements of the Earth and Sun for that.

Sephiroth
captain of 1,000

Post by Sephiroth »

I think the thanks button should be disabled.

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

Sephiroth wrote: May 3rd, 2020, 1:51 am I think the thanks button should be disabled.
What changed your mind?

Sephiroth
captain of 1,000

Post by Sephiroth »

inho wrote: May 3rd, 2020, 2:49 am
Sephiroth wrote: May 3rd, 2020, 1:51 am I think the thanks button should be disabled.
What changed your mind?
Everything.

righteousrepublic
Level 34 Illuminated

Sephiroth wrote: May 3rd, 2020, 2:51 am
What changed your mind?
Everything.
Without a thank button we couldn't thank TBM's for their TB answers, views and gospel knowledge.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

righteousrepublic wrote: May 3rd, 2020, 10:11 am Without a thank button we couldn't thank TBM's for their TB answers, views and gospel knowledge.
We also couldn't acknowledge that we'd read a post we found interesting but have nothing to say in return - thus the poster knows their comment has been read and appreciated even if zero people comment in return.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Also, if you've put someone on your ignore list ("foe"), you can't see if they've gotten thanks anyway, even if someone quotes them later.

righteousrepublic
Level 34 Illuminated

Silver Pie wrote: May 3rd, 2020, 4:13 pm Also, if you've put someone on your ignore list ("foe"), you can't see if they've gotten thanks anyway, even if someone quotes them later.
And sometimes we don't want to know, or don't care how someone responds. And this personal choice runs two directions.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

righteousrepublic wrote: May 4th, 2020, 3:30 amAnd sometimes we don't want to know, or don't care how someone responds. And this personal choice runs two directions.
True.

NewEliza
captain of 1,000

Post by NewEliza »

righteousrepublic wrote: May 3rd, 2020, 10:11 am
What changed your mind?
Everything.
Without a thank button we couldn't thank TBM's for their TB answers, views and gospel knowledge.
Without a thank Button you wouldn’t be able to unthank someone!

(I’m talking to you alaris)

righteousrepublic
Level 34 Illuminated

NewEliza wrote: May 20th, 2020, 8:46 pm
righteousrepublic wrote: May 3rd, 2020, 10:11 am

What changed your mind?
Everything.
Without a thank Button you wouldn’t be able to unthank someone!

(I’m talking to you alaris)
Who is this Alaris you are talking to? This post does not contain such a name, title or pseudonym?