MBTI -- what type are you?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Davka
captain of 1,000

MBTI -- what type are you?

Post by Davka »

Something someone posted on another thread got me wondering what Myers-Briggs types are here on LDSFF? If you aren't familiar with this personality typing theory, I suggest you google it and take an online test. It's fascinating to me how understanding my cognitive function stack has helped me understand myself -- strengths, weaknesses, quirks -- so much better and, frankly, aided me in feeling more "fulfilled" as a person.

For those of you familiar with MBTI, I am curious how you think personality type plays into dynamics within the church, as well as how it affects individuals within the church.

For the record, I am an ENFP.

The Airbender
captain of 1,000

Re: MBTI -- what type are you?

Post by The Airbender »

I'm an INFP. Oddly, that has changed since I used to be something else. I also had a hard time answering the question this time and feel like I contradicted myself on a number of questions. But I feel like a walking contradiction anyway.

Have you ever done the Energy Profiling by Carol Tuttle? That is my favorite one.

You can find it here https://my.liveyourtruth.com/dyt/energy-profiling/

I'm type 1, Air. Uh... obviously.

Davka
captain of 1,000

Post by Davka »

I have. I am also a type 1.

My guess is that the majority of people on this forum are intuitives of one sort or another. Sensors, though awesome in their own ways, usually find the kinds of conversations we have here either mind numbing or a waste of time.

Jonesy
captain of 1,000

Post by Jonesy »

You should make this a poll!

I think I border between INTP and INFP. But I took a test at work and I find out the results tomorrow.

MMbelieve
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by MMbelieve »

I'm ENFJ - the 4th least common type
Apparently im the same as Oprah and MLK jr.

ElizaRSkousen
captain of 100

Post by ElizaRSkousen »

The Airbender wrote: July 15th, 2018, 1:38 pm I'm an INFP. Oddly, that has changed since I used to be something else. I also had a hard time answering the question this time and feel like I contradicted myself on a number of questions. But I feel like a walking contradiction anyway.

Have you ever done the Energy Profiling by Carol Tuttle? That is my favorite one.

You can find it here https://my.liveyourtruth.com/dyt/energy-profiling/

I'm type 1, Air. Uh... obviously.
My mom used to love carol tuttle! How funny. I don't remebet what I am

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

INFJ

jadd
captain of 100

Post by jadd »

I used to be an ENTP before my conversion - then I became an ENFP... now I'm a melancholy ENFP (I act very melancholy approaching the Introvertive more often than the Extrovertive).

ParticleMan
captain of 100

Post by ParticleMan »

ISTJ, last I tested.

However, I find P2MR (Paulos Phenotype and Motion Recognition) much more thorough than MBTI, Energy Profiling, and most others (Personology remains interesting).
Last edited by ParticleMan on July 18th, 2018, 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LDS Physician
captain of 1,000

Post by LDS Physician »

ESFJ here. I hope you accept and love me.

Lyster
captain of 100

Post by Lyster »

Alaris wrote: July 15th, 2018, 2:20 pmINFJ
INFJ, too. Hi-five, Alaris! We're super rare!

Or maybe we just dislike people more than we should...

Although that F is like 54%... so maybe INTJ. Either way, rare.
Last edited by Lyster on July 15th, 2018, 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

I used to test INFJ now I test INFP

Lexew1899
captain of 1,000

Post by Lexew1899 »

INTJ

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

INTJ, I have consistently tested that my entire life.

XEmilyX
captain of 1,000

Post by XEmilyX »

I'm infj. The rarest personality type. I always thought I was so different from most people. When I found this when I was 14 I read the description and it sounded just like me. I was SOOOOO HAPPY.

Lyster
captain of 100

Post by Lyster »

I'm seeing a lot of the INFJ here, for it being the rarest...

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

INFJ

Crackers
captain of 100

Post by Crackers »

INFP, though my N and F are close to the midline. I also don't fully trust the self-classification process, but I have tested this way a couple of times.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

XEmilyX wrote: July 15th, 2018, 8:30 pm I'm infj. The rarest personality type. I always thought I was so different from most people. When I found this when I was 14 I read the description and it sounded just like me. I was SOOOOO HAPPY.
I can relate to this. I have always been able to encapsulate "types" of people, but I have never met anyone and thought, "wow you're just like me!" :) That's the lonely side of INFJ. The description is indeed comforting.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

Lyster wrote: July 15th, 2018, 8:37 pm I'm seeing a lot of the INFJ here, for it being the rarest...
There's bound to be an over-representation of this or that type of person in a religious forum. Internet trolls, for example, seem like they are higher in number in most Internet Forums because that antagonistic personality is attracted to forums where they can antagonize folks for free behind the safety of anonymity.

Davka
captain of 1,000

Post by Davka »

Like I predicted -- not one "s" even though intuitives make up roughly 20% of the US population. Also not a lot of introverts hanging out here, it seems.

Like XEmilyX said, I cried the first time I took a test and read a description of my type (I've never come close to testing anything else...I'm an ENFP through and through), I cried. It was so meaningful to me to finally Had a tangible explanation of why I am the way I am. The best quote I read about my type was "don't worry, you're not crazy, you really are crazy." Up to that point, I had considered everything from simple lack of certain skills to mental illness to explain my worldview and tendencies. I am literally surrounded by sensors. There's not another "n" anywhere in my family or on my husband's side of the family, and he is an ISTP. So I always wondered why no one else cared to discuss ideas with me for hours on end. (For the record, my husband is an amazing listener -- he will listen to me ramble on for hours -- but he just sees things from such a more practical standpoint than I do).

It is my sense that most people in the church are S-Js. I don't want this to turn into an "us vs. then" debate, because I have many dear friends and family members who fit this description and they have some amazing and important things to offer. I think most of our GAs are S-Js. But i think the personality type divide helps explain why so many of us see thing differently than the people we go to church with. I think many intuitives struggle with staying active in general, making us an even more pronounced minority in LDS circles. I do believe, when done the right way, we can contribute a lot by bringing a different point of view, but we have to be careful to do so with love and without being condescending.

Lyster
captain of 100

Post by Lyster »

As long as they aren't SJW, I think I can probably get along with someone just fine.

Davka
captain of 1,000

Post by Davka »

Alaris wrote: July 15th, 2018, 9:46 pm
XEmilyX wrote: July 15th, 2018, 8:30 pm I'm infj. The rarest personality type. I always thought I was so different from most people. When I found this when I was 14 I read the description and it sounded just like me. I was SOOOOO HAPPY.
I can relate to this. I have always been able to encapsulate "types" of people, but I have never met anyone and thought, "wow you're just like me!" :) That's the lonely side of INFJ. The description is indeed comforting.
Alaris, I had you pegged as an INFJ or an INTJ. Obviously your Ni (introverted intuition) is strong, which is why you've been able to piece together the theories you have. I have strong Ne (extraverted intuition) which is probably why I enjoy reading your posts and others. I gather as much information as possible, connect it all together, then sit back and see how I feel about it from an intraverted perspective. I'm better at connecting the dots between other people's theories to come up with conclusions than I am discovering my own.

Davka
captain of 1,000

Post by Davka »

Lyster wrote: July 15th, 2018, 10:01 pm As long as they aren't SJW, I think I can probably get along with someone just fine.
Had to google that one.

Social justice warrior?

Lyster
captain of 100

Post by Lyster »

Nailed it on the head. Which is probably what most of them would like to literally do with us given the chance.