National anthems to be removed from the hymnal

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
CuriousThinker
captain of 1,000

Re: National anthems to be removed from the hymnal

Post by CuriousThinker »

gkearney wrote: June 18th, 2018, 4:35 pm To clarify the current English language hymnal is not really a USA edition. The same hymnal is used across the English speaking world so you find it in Canada, Australia, the UK, Ireland, and in English speaking wards in South Africa, India, Hong Kong and so on. In many places the local national Anthem get pasted into the back cover of the book as sort of an afterthought. The only two national Anthems printed in the hymnal are the Star Spangled Banner (US) and God Save the Queen (UK).
There is also America the Beautiful and My Country Tis of Thee. Are they removing those too?

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

CuriousThinker wrote: June 5th, 2022, 4:20 pm
gkearney wrote: June 18th, 2018, 4:35 pm To clarify the current English language hymnal is not really a USA edition. The same hymnal is used across the English speaking world so you find it in Canada, Australia, the UK, Ireland, and in English speaking wards in South Africa, India, Hong Kong and so on. In many places the local national Anthem get pasted into the back cover of the book as sort of an afterthought. The only two national Anthems printed in the hymnal are the Star Spangled Banner (US) and God Save the Queen (UK).
There is also America the Beautiful and My Country Tis of Thee. Are they removing those too?
I don’t know for sure but I would suspect so.

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

<sarcasm>. I am super excited to see the new Politically Correct, Sanitized, One World Government supporting hymnal. </Sarcasm>

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

Probably should eliminate all hymns that mention anything about truth being restored to the church because truth can be different for different people.

Take out hymns about pioneers. Pioneers we're mostly white, and British and probably racists. So it is unrelatable to the church's new target audience.

Songs mentioning mother and father....clearly exclusionary.

Anything that mentions wicked or ungodly. .too judgey.

Get rid of all hymns which connects priesthood to Elders, father's, men, or brothers.

Probably should add 32 to 33 more versus to the Primary song "Follow the Prophet".

JK4Woods
captain of 1,000

Post by JK4Woods »

I can’t stand the overly homogenized correlated church…

….it smacks of central control, belays varying cultural norms and fosters judgmental criteria which leads to compliance with “central rules”.

The Commandments are universal. And keeps one on the Strait and Narrow.

The handbooks are not scripture, neither are the church/corporate policies based on eternal revelation. They espouse the commandments of men.

Whatever happened to:
“Bearing down in Pure Testimony”..??

Iceberg
captain of 100

Post by Iceberg »

friendsofthe wrote: June 19th, 2018, 10:13 am One night, a couple of years ago, I had a concept for a song come to me in my sleep. It repeated over and over through the night. It included the subject matter and a tune. I shared this with a friend who is a songwriter-singer and she told me I better get to work on it while it was fresh in my brain. As it turned out, it’s kind of a ballad and would most likely work well with a guitar I think. However, I don’t play guitar and haven’t done much more with it.

Not exactly something you would put in a hymn book….

Gloria Gloria Gloria
When the sun turns dark and the moon is red
and the stars fall from the sky…
I will come to you, I’ll deliver you,
na na na na na na na
Gloria Gloria Gloria

Voice of thunderings, earth is trembling
and the hearts of men shall fail…
I’ll send my angels to, keep watch over you,
na na na na na na na
Gloria Gloria Gloria

Angry waves of seas, heave beyond their bounds
and the skies are dark and gray…
That’s when I shall be, captain over thee,
na na na na na na na
Gloria Gloria Gloria

Sound of trumpeting, saints are gathering,
to the land where Adam dwelt…
That’s where I shall be, will you come to me?
na na na na na na na
Gloria Gloria Gloria

Needs some kind of a musical interlude here… leading into the last verse.

Darkness gathering, stars cannot be seen,
Vail of darkness or the earth…
Looking over head, you shall see the sign,
and my coming to the earth.
(Comes the new millennial birth.)
Gloria Gloria Gloria
Gloria Gloria Gloria

By Frank M. Keele

What think ye?
I’ve been lurking every now and than and not checking in as often as I used but I wanted to tell you that I love you song!

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

Can't stop singing that80s song.... Gloria...

https://youtu.be/nNEb2k_EmMg

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

gkearney wrote: June 18th, 2018, 1:36 pm From the Church website on the upcoming world wide hymnal:

"Because the new core collections will be the same in every language, national anthems will not be included in the printed hymnbooks."

https://www.lds.org/music/new-music/fre ... s?lang=eng
To be honest, the Spanish hymnal contains no national anthems, albeit there is a "Battle Hymn of the Republic" in there.

"Placentero nos es trabajar" is my favorite hymn in that language, and it doesn't even show up on the English one. It was written by a great-grandpa of my wife who was one of the first Mexican missionaries.

EvanLM
captain of 1,000

Post by EvanLM »

gkearney wrote: June 18th, 2018, 1:36 pm From the Church website on the upcoming world wide hymnal:

"Because the new core collections will be the same in every language, national anthems will not be included in the printed hymnbooks."

will they keep our mountain home so dear and come come ye saints . . . no more songs about the promised land?

EvanLM
captain of 1,000

Post by EvanLM »

holy chocolata . . .we reflect the NWO more that I thought . . will we be able to sing the national anthem in and USA church or not ? When I was a missionary years ago in Alabama and ?Georgia then they use to sing Dixie in church and always stoodup to do it.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Subcomandante wrote: June 5th, 2022, 8:49 pm

To be honest, the Spanish hymnal contains no national anthems, albeit there is a "Battle Hymn of the Republic" in there.

"Placentero nos es trabajar" is my favorite hymn in that language, and it doesn't even show up on the English one. It was written by a great-grandpa of my wife who was one of the first Mexican missionaries.
I think having the same hymns for every language is a bad idea. I can think of numerous hymns and songs that work well in one language, but not another. I've seen various operas translated into English from Italian and whatever, and they don't work nearly as well. Or to give a non-musical example, I'm told Shakespeare translates far better into German than French for metrical reasons.

I often wonder if some of these people think you can take Google Translate and render everything from one language into another.

I think this is the trouble with businessmen running the church, they don't appreciate aesthetics and artistic differences so well.

oneClimbs
captain of 1,000

Post by oneClimbs »

This doesn't mean that we can't still sing the national anthem in church during the 4th of July, etc. It doesn't make sense to have that in every hymnbook in the world. When on earth have we ever sung "God Save the King" at church? I don't mind taking out all the national hymns and just leaving doctrinal ones. Each country can sing their own national hymn if that is a thing where they live. Frankly, a lot of the hymns we currently have are old, dry, and dreary. I think that an update the hymnbook is certainly welcome at this point.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

oneClimbs wrote: June 6th, 2022, 4:45 pm When on earth have we ever sung "God Save the King" at church?
You should be doing, that’s for sure 😁

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Gadianton Slayer »

oneClimbs wrote: June 6th, 2022, 4:45 pm This doesn't mean that we can't still sing the national anthem in church during the 4th of July, etc. It doesn't make sense to have that in every hymnbook in the world. When on earth have we ever sung "God Save the King" at church? I don't mind taking out all the national hymns and just leaving doctrinal ones. Each country can sing their own national hymn if that is a thing where they live. Frankly, a lot of the hymns we currently have are old, dry, and dreary. I think that an update the hymnbook is certainly welcome at this point.
Agreed. Half the time they sound like a death March. I’ve become a much bigger fan of traditional Christian music lately.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

oneClimbs wrote: June 6th, 2022, 4:45 pm This doesn't mean that we can't still sing the national anthem in church during the 4th of July, etc. It doesn't make sense to have that in every hymnbook in the world. When on earth have we ever sung "God Save the King" at church? I don't mind taking out all the national hymns and just leaving doctrinal ones. Each country can sing their own national hymn if that is a thing where they live. Frankly, a lot of the hymns we currently have are old, dry, and dreary. I think that an update the hymnbook is certainly welcome at this point.
People sang "God Save The Queen" in our ward last week. I didn't, but that's another matter.

There are a lot of English speaking countries out there with LDS congregations and it doesn't really make sense to have some anthems in but not others. That's the short version.

pho·to·syn·the·sis
captain of 100

Post by pho·to·syn·the·sis »

I think that an update the hymnbook is certainly welcome at this point.
I'm hoping it wont be filled with "skinny jean" hymns. Something akin to Christian contemporary music.

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

friendsofthe wrote: June 19th, 2018, 10:13 am One night, a couple of years ago, I had a concept for a song come to me in my sleep. It repeated over and over through the night. It included the subject matter and a tune. I shared this with a friend who is a songwriter-singer and she told me I better get to work on it while it was fresh in my brain. As it turned out, it’s kind of a ballad and would most likely work well with a guitar I think. However, I don’t play guitar and haven’t done much more with it.

Not exactly something you would put in a hymn book….

Gloria Gloria Gloria
When the sun turns dark and the moon is red
and the stars fall from the sky…
I will come to you, I’ll deliver you,
na na na na na na na
Gloria Gloria Gloria

Voice of thunderings, earth is trembling
and the hearts of men shall fail…
I’ll send my angels to, keep watch over you,
na na na na na na na
Gloria Gloria Gloria

Angry waves of seas, heave beyond their bounds
and the skies are dark and gray…
That’s when I shall be, captain over thee,
na na na na na na na
Gloria Gloria Gloria

Sound of trumpeting, saints are gathering,
to the land where Adam dwelt…
That’s where I shall be, will you come to me?
na na na na na na na
Gloria Gloria Gloria

Needs some kind of a musical interlude here… leading into the last verse.

Darkness gathering, stars cannot be seen,
Vail of darkness or the earth…
Looking over head, you shall see the sign,
and my coming to the earth.
(Comes the new millennial birth.)
Gloria Gloria Gloria
Gloria Gloria Gloria

By Frank M. Keele

What think ye?
That is beautiful, thank you

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

pho·to·syn·the·sis wrote: June 8th, 2022, 8:45 am
I think that an update the hymnbook is certainly welcome at this point.
I'm hoping it wont be filled with "skinny jean" hymns. Something akin to Christian contemporary music.
I'd rather we sang that than "Put your Shoulder to the Wheel" etc.