Here is my crazy idea for what the church should do with money

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
Dubs
captain of 50

Post by Dubs »

How about giving every lds household a one time payment of $1M to pay for school loans, housing, starting businesses or whatever each family decided was in their best interest.

There are quite a few families that would not accept the money, but I know there are so many that could benefit greatly from this.

Personally, I am glad that the church has money making operations on the side because every temple and church building they build generate expenses and no income.

What is they last figure we saw for how much the church donated in relief and aid? They do a lot and hopefully have the means to do more as more and more disasters start to unfold.

The Airbender
captain of 1,000

Re: Here is my crazy idea for what the church should do with money

Post by The Airbender »

Dubs wrote: June 15th, 2018, 7:32 pm How about giving every lds household a one time payment of $1M to pay for school loans, housing, starting businesses or whatever each family decided was in their best interest.

There are quite a few families that would not accept the money, but I know there are so many that could benefit greatly from this.

Personally, I am glad that the church has money making operations on the side because every temple and church building they build generate expenses and no income.

What is they last figure we saw for how much the church donated in relief and aid? They do a lot and hopefully have the means to do more as more and more disasters start to unfold.
I was wishing I could get a loan from the church to build my house instead of from the bank, but this is quite an idea.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

I believe prophecies of what's coming in the future. I believe that bad times are coming economically. I know that if there's a stock market crash people can make a fortune by positioning themselves for it, and I hope the church keeps its nest egg and leaders are inspired to take the ideal positions. In that situation the church will be in a much better position to help members, and it will be in a position to be self sufficient, taking care of expenses with little to no income from tithing and donations.

I think that giving each household $1 million would be a bad move. First, let's say they limit this to only active households. If they do then people who have stopped attending church will be outraged with greed.
Moving past this, you have some households where parents have eight kids, others where there are one or two kids, and households like mine where someone is alone. Some couples with eight kids will be upset that I get $1 million for me while they only get $100,000 per person.
The last concern in my mind is poor financial management. You will see real estate prices in Utah skyrocket as people try buying the big house they've dreamed of, and those who do will discover they can't afford both upkeep and taxes. You will see some people spend like a drunken Congressman, spending the entire $1 million and more only to get a rude awakening when they don't have money for taxes. I just ran the numbers. Living in Utah, if I got $1,000,000 and paid tithing, I would end up with about $533,000. I would do my best to save and invest $500,000 instead of buying real estate and a big new boat (even though I'd love an Outremer 45!). But I'll bet less than 10% of recipients did this, and many if not most would be financially worse off after blowing the money.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Let's also remember that couples who are planning to get married when this announcement is made will postpone their marriage. Two separate households = $2,000,000. This equates to a lot of jealousy from other church members.

Lyster
captain of 100

Post by Lyster »

Watch it burn. Maybe cook a marshmallow or two on the pyre.

Ahh, dreams...

TrueIntent
captain of 100

Post by TrueIntent »

The Airbender wrote: June 15th, 2018, 8:08 pm
Dubs wrote: June 15th, 2018, 7:32 pm How about giving every lds household a one time payment of $1M to pay for school loans, housing, starting businesses or whatever each family decided was in their best interest.

I was wishing I could get a loan from the church to build my house instead of from the bank, but this is quite an idea.
Brigham Young took money on loan from tithing funds to build his personal estate. This is why his children sued the 12 apostles after his death. The debate was taken to court....whether the estate was his children’s or the church’s. Do you want the church to be in the business of taking people’s homes if they default? Usually if people default, not always, but often it is because a hardship has fallen upon them. What are your thoughts on that.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Ha ha, could you imagine the speculation, the mansions, the toys, the absolute waste? And those who managed it well would be giving to those who needed it--which is what the church often does now...

I don't think we understand what's ahead of the church and how much money and resources will be needed.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

JohnnyL wrote: June 19th, 2018, 10:55 am Ha ha, could you imagine the speculation, the mansions, the toys, the absolute waste? And those who managed it well would be giving to those who needed it--which is what the church often does now...

I don't think we understand what's ahead of the church and how much money and resources will be needed.
Most people I know have a list, with a total value exceeding $2 million, of things they would do and buy if they suddenly received $1 million. I don't think church members are very different in this regard, I just hope that not as many play the lottery hoping to strike it rich.

Crackers
captain of 100

Post by Crackers »

I AM IN!!!

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

I don't know if you realized this, but there are millions of LDS households so this would be trillions of dollars.

will
captain of 1,000

Post by will »

"You can buy anything in this world with money."

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

At least we'd have more baptisms than ever, eh?

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

15 million X $1 million = $15 trillion. The church doesn't have $15 trillion. ;)

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Col. Flagg wrote: July 6th, 2018, 5:38 pm 15 million X $1 million = $15 trillion. The church doesn't have $15 trillion. ;)
The OP said per household, not per individual. I suspect it would be closer to $4 trillion to carry out this idea.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

$1 million isn't much good to me.
Make it £1 million and we'll have a deal.

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

brianj wrote: July 6th, 2018, 10:56 pm
Col. Flagg wrote: July 6th, 2018, 5:38 pm 15 million X $1 million = $15 trillion. The church doesn't have $15 trillion. ;)
The OP said per household, not per individual. I suspect it would be closer to $4 trillion to carry out this idea.
Oops, my bad - yeah, like that figure of $4 trillion... still not even remotely feasible.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

How bout for presiding authorities only. That should be feasible.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

The Airbender wrote: June 15th, 2018, 8:08 pmI was wishing I could get a loan from the church to build my house instead of from the bank, but this is quite an idea.
You'd think that by now there would be "christian" banks providing interest-free home loans.

Vision
captain of 1,000

Post by Vision »

ajax wrote: July 9th, 2018, 2:01 pm How bout for presiding authorities only. That should be feasible.
Does that include the President of this Forum, you?

The Airbender
captain of 1,000

Post by The Airbender »

BrianM wrote: July 13th, 2018, 4:33 pm
The Airbender wrote: June 15th, 2018, 8:08 pmI was wishing I could get a loan from the church to build my house instead of from the bank, but this is quite an idea.
You'd think that by now there would be "christian" banks providing interest-free home loans.
Or at least 1-2%. Right?

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

No. 0% interest, if it's actually based on christian principles. They could simply add a percentage to the loan amount (10%?), if needed, to cover business expenses. That would remove so much burden on the poor.

Exodus 22:24 (25)— "If thou lend money to any of My people, even to the poor with thee, thou shalt not be to him as a creditor; neither shall ye lay upon him interest."

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

Is there a difference between usury and interest?

https://www.garynorth.com/HonestMoney.pdf

(See chapter 7)

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

There could be a difference between usury and interest. Regardless, the concept of interest-free home loans is something I think would make sense for a people claiming to strive for Zion.